Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Bruceski posted:

Is it safe to assume the care package is Marcellus Wallace's soul?
Oh poo poo, it's the blue diamonds from True Detective S2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

God drat what an episode. I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through. I was sorta hoping Tom would be like, "You don't have to shoot him, because I will." considering he's willing to kill a semi-famous, nice, and sorta innocent dude. The cabal muscle shouldn't mean poo poo to him.

Nice of the show to re-acknowledge that we're still in the dark about why Keene matters so much. Maybe they'll be nice and not hold out for the final episode to reveal the most annoyingly secretive fact of the series.

Binary Logic posted:

I loved how matter-of-fact Red was about having storage lockers in almost every state that contain a huge stash of cocaine, aging chuleton de buey steaks, and whatever else works for the plot and narrative. "I'm sure you're aware of Picasso's stolen Le pigeon aux petits pois painting...I have it hanging up in what looks like an abandoned double-wide trailer in Louisiana near a roadside barbecue joint that serves spectacular pulled pork. The waitress Jane is also spectacular if you can look past the golf ball sized mole on her neck ..."

Yeah it's weird just how completely original and believable the idea is that Red has "a perfect memory" and that's why he is the way he is. And yet he has to revisit a grave site to "remind himself how it might have felt" to lose another person. Yeesh.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 8, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

I'm fine with a reset and everyone going back to where they were but I guess it was done really quickly on the show. No internal investigations or changes in protocols..."okay everyone let's get back to work".
The show didn't even reset yet. I have no idea what's even going to happen next episode because this one wrapped so much up. Are they just going back to the weekly blacklister? It feels strange if that's the direction because I was kind of assuming (considering the speed at which poo poo takes place on this show) that one of three things would happen. Either 1: The FBI figures out almost immediately that Red did everything just to join the Cabal himself and it becomes a "chase after Red despite our feels as Red throws his Blacklist cronies at us" or 2: It's a strange "watch Red play Double/Triple/Quadruple Agent between the Cabal and FBI" show where the viewer consistently isn't sure what Red's allegiances are as he makes good and bad for both the Cabal and FBI or 3: Somehow his connection to Liz creates a new major plot device that the series revolves around until the end of this season or the beginning/middle of next season.

Or the show could just go to complete poo poo and it becomes a romcom about Liz and Tom getting back together.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The episode was almost over and I was like "eh, alright, whatever" and then it suddenly went into :stare: mode as she got beat up and then it went into :stonk: mode when they show her all bruised in the hospital and then it was just straight up :stonklol: when they said she was preggers. What the gently caress.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Someone do me a favor because I'm actually trying to analyze my own personal distaste for "baby as plot device" in stories. Can someone name a television show where someone having a baby was actually good for the show? Like, it provided entertainment value? The only thing I can think of is Dinosaurs.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So..................... I'm the only one who actually got emotionally punched in the gut at the final scene, huh?
Also called it as a flashback at the start of the second scene because there is no way in hell even The Blacklist would try to explain Red traveling across the world back and forth that quickly.
Also gently caress that one guy who kept saying Comrade. He almost deserved that neck-shot more than Liz's assaulter.
And finally, dog with tongue permanently stuck out is best dog. gently caress the haters. It's just too bad that in order to keep the gravity of the situation in order to make the final scene impactful, there were no joke stories about Red giving the dogs to some poetically appropriate person.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Though the fact that they went for "Lizzie and Tom own a dog that's only seen in one scene and never explained or mentioned again" not once but twice now, and that the dog looked the same both times, is a very black mark against this season.
I'm at the point where I actually think that's a joke by the producers. Just like her saying at the end of the previous episode "I'm giving up my child." to the adoption agency who obviously knows why she's calling and is probably wondering why she's saying it in such a stupidly dramatic way.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

When the paper towels caught fire all I could hear was yakkety sax. What a hilariously dumb episode. I wish I actually wrote out all my thoughts from the last one, considering the Tom betrayal was so telegraphed.
That said, DOGS!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm honestly baffled they even went with the "Reddington has his fingers in everything" route on that one other than the fact they needed Reddington to have something to say to Liz to make her keep the baby... which they could have done a zillion other ways.

See... what would have made a lot more sense (which I predicted but ended up being wrong about) was that the jewelry store guy got Tom off the hook because he would later come back and tell Tom that the only reason he's not in jail is because it's time to rat out his lovely thief friends so that he could get revenge... which he couldn't do if Tom was beholden to the cops or stuck in jail. You know, an interesting way to spin the plot about Tom, his ex, and the jewelry store security guard as a continuing B-story that gives Tom some great action scenes while Liz is brewing the baby.

Nope, simplify it cuz Megan Boone's preggers.

Also it's killing me how sexist they're making Ressler. He was actually getting to be more likable during the Cabal stuff but now he's saying, unsolicited at work, how he'd never give his baby up and now he's all "women always keep the baby, it's in their programming." Yeesh.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I was so ready to come in here and talk about how lovely this episode was but I couldn't stop laughing at the last 10 minutes. It's like this show is some kind of love letter to the worst of network broadcasting.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Heyyyy....remember The Cabal and how they were this super-dangerous group? Haha well, gently caress you, that story arc went nowhere. We might bring it back, but ~meh~.
You know what plot would make sense? Old Lady Awesome figured out that Red got a seat with The Cabal and doesn't approve of it and Lizzie's predicament is the straw that's breakin' her back so she does the whole fake-death thing to get her away from him but also to get to the beach Tom was talking about because everyone knows that the best place to run away from the Cabal with your hubbie and newborn child is a beach.

But I hope Lizzie is dead.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CrushedWill posted:

Only thing that keeps me coming back is the 'gives no fucks' diatribes Spader delivers on this show. Also, the old broad, Danbe, and the fat dwarf at the DMV are also good.
Don't forget Boz. Also "guy with wacky methods of torture who requires an oxygen machine." I love that guy.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Such a dumb loving episode. As soon as they showed him hallucinate the front desk lady, I knew the drowning woman was fake because the timing was too perfect, even for a show that's all about timing being too perfect. And then they had to ruin that by having the timing be perfect for the old man finding the locket. But, like, even if they were trying to throw anyone off, the way Red and the woman talked like they already knew each other and that hanging out in this old place was a-okay, it made the vibe of the episode just weird and stupid. "I'll make risotto!" "Will we have hot water tonight?" Without a name exchange, thanks for saving her life, or an explanation for why she was walking into the water? And then Red pulls the piano wire on some guy at a stairwell? What the gently caress was that? What was happening there? It didn't make any sense! And then that guy's body disappeared when the next dude came to the stairwell?! What the gently caress?! And where the gently caress did Red get that shotgun that he took the sniper out with?!!??!

I would have taken a "Keene and Tom pancake breakfast with new baby crying" over this pile.

Uhhh that said... I guess this does reveal that Keene's mom actually is dead in the water. Which means we have no idea who the gently caress was after Keene.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 22, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Actually, this was the best episode because it was all Spader with none of the rest of this show's garbage cast.
I really wanted to believe this was the case but the fact that his only monologue was talking about a rather depressing suicide bomber instead of a trist he had in a boxcar bound for Chattanooga kinda... kinda brought the whole mood down.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sooooooo if the woman Red was playing Home Alone with last week was Liz's mom but the black haired chick introduced in this episode is being suspected of being Liz's mom then either Red was played or two main characters are flat out guessing wrong directly to the audience. Wat.

Also Aram getting high is the best.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Octy posted:

Despite the ridiculous name, it's nice to see I had cause for thinking he was so cool.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diane-dimond/the-patron-saint-for-miss_b_122603.html
God loving dammit he deserves the entirely bad rear end role they've given him on the show and I hope they never kill him off. gently caress, he'll be the only one surviving the entire show at this rate.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So we got Lizzie killed, yay, but it means more of Aram being a complete nitwit. Great!

I like how that one cop got killed and nobody cares.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Well, there's some speculation that Alexander Kirk (or perhaps.. Kurke...) is Lizzie's real dad. What better way to bring her back than to do so while some plot contrivance is happening with him.

Also I can't stop laughing at the show not even acknowledging that last episode, they speculated that Scottie was Lizzie's mom. "What? Did we say that? Nah, we never said that. Ignore that. While you ignore that, ignore this dead cop who was just trying to make ends meet. Really, ignore all the innocent deaths going on. Isn't it crazy we killed Lizzie though?! OMG!" (This is me commenting on the fact that this show kills off so many random people, it's hard to feel bad about an important character dying.)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I had a dream I was watching the next episode and they brought Lizzie back and I straight up yelled "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" I'm sorry did I say dream? I meant nightmare.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Is there a show that is just Ocean's 11 every episode? A show exclusively about elaborate heists? Because if not, how the gently caress has that not happened yet? And can Tom's show be that? That'd be cool.

That said, I loving hate "omg does the download bar finish before the lock-out bar finishes" moments. Really, those are the worst trope.

Anyway, the episode somehow was amazing despite not enough Red. It's great to see the chief from The Shield playing another political role, though. He fits the part so drat well.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

As soon as they figured out it was Mr. Kaplan who sent Tom away, I realized Lizzie was gonna be there. As soon as that guy knocked Tom out instead of straight up shooting him, I knew Kirk was Lizzie's dad. Which means now that we've got all (probably not) the players together, can we please freaking find out how the gently caress Red and Lizzie are connected?

Nope, save that for the final episode of the show. Pffthhhhhhhpbhpbhbphbb

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

We can make jokes that the average person didn't see Lizzie coming back from a mile away but I read a couple popular news articles about the actress giving birth and they both stated "she's taking maternity leave so we'll see how they decide to bring her back to life." pretty matter-of-factly like there was no reason for anyone to think she was actually gone. The only thing that threw me was that Tom's going to head off to a spin-off show and actually-killing Lizzie would have been a great way to send him there. Ah well.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I was ready to quit when Mr. Kaplan was supposed to be dead but since she's back and they gave her a Misery plotline I'm unfortunately staying on board for this boring roller coaster of a show. She's going to kill Red and it's going to be fantastic.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I could honestly see this.

"Aram, you've been an invaluable asset to me. And as compensation...so long as you can continue to keep that notoriously ~flappy~ mouth of yours shut, I'll introduce you to Maxine. She's a contortionist, Pilates instructor, all-around *lovely* gal...and an unrepentant yet *monogamous* nymphomaniac with low standards and a thing for mousy brown men with conservatively-groomed facial hair. She strips naked the second she gets home from work and performs amazing feats of carnality and debauchery upon the first person she sees, regardless of their gender. Have fun. Oh, and she likes whole wheat pasta - don't even *mention* carbs around her."
This thread is essentially turning into a "write for Spader hour" and, quite frankly, I'm perfectly fine with that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Quack quack, bitch. God I haven't laughed that hard in so long.
Edit: And now that the episode is over, I breath a sigh of relief that this awful-as-gently caress plotline is over. I look forward to seeing what the next episode tries in order to keep us engaged, considering this plot almost made me quit completely.
Edit2: Oh, right, jawline chick is gonna probably be next.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 31, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

that guy is a legit manhunter irl. like he does acting as a fun side job and he literally hunts down people who kidnap children for a day job.

http://www.peaceconference2016.org/bazzel-baz/
Which is why he's bulletproof in this show and I love it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, loving hell, gently caress these loving hack gently caress writers...~IS SHE OR ISN'T SHE~?!?!?! I'm sure they took Red's DNA when he was being processed for ~The Box~. Run a loving test, answer the loving question.
I care about who her dad is about as much as she shouldn't have cared that Kirk was her dad. None. At all. It was always Red the whole time and any time it seemed otherwise was a misdirect. And in case it wasn't obvious, Kirk was married to her mom and was, by all intents and purposes, her dad except, duh, Red slept with her mom. Basically, Kirk is the most pissed right now because his wife cheated on him with Red.

That said, it's nice to see the previous blacklisters one again be strung along with the next blacklisters as a part of a grand plot again like in Season 1. Hopefully it pays off better than "to get info on the Illuminati that everyone will end up ignoring anyway."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I don't know why it still bothers me but it does. "Leave him" after killing everyone else in the hospital. Also, all that justice that anyone murdered in that hospital won't get. They really de-sensitize you to rando innocents getting murdered in this dumb show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I wonder how many people had to go Ark of the Covenant to get that thing made.

• Locked thread