Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Been following this game for a while and from what I've seen it looks pretty drat good. There is a serious lack of 4 player coop FPSes out there so bring em on. Finding a beta key is really drat hard though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
After playing the beta i gotta say the BW is far weaker than i thought she would be. On normal and easy she is fine and even fairly powerfull with the Aqshy Staff but on hard and above you just rack up heat too fast to be usefull. Every other character has a stronger ranged option compared to her and for the most part ammo is not a big deal since guns and bows do a lot of damage even on nightmare.

Other than that the game feels awesome, stabbing a rat in the throat as the Witch Hunter and seeing it gasp for air through blood is satisfying in that serial killer-y way.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I found a blue staff that reduces the overcharge gain by 20% as well as reducing the health cost of venting by 20% so now im an engine of doom spitting out fireballs left and right. poo poo is pretty tight.

Now if i could just get a fire sword to go with that.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The pubbies in this game remind me of the early L4D2 day. Some of them dont even know how to pick up health packs.

Also, give me my drat flamesword game! No, i do not want yet another conflagration staff, just gimme a burnysword!

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
If there is anything i hope they do its the ability to pick an item within the range you rolled on the dice. I have missed so many useful items due to rolling one die too high.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Surprising no one, elf players seem to be the worst of the crop. Either they are MLG-rushing ahead only to get grabbed or pounced, or they are lagging behind playing sniper with the same results.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

Filthy lies, standard skaven hits for almost a full block of health and Hard removes like 90% of healing items and potions (including starting kit) :argh:

Then again, normal mode is perfectly good at loving you up if you make mistakes / just spawns a shitload at the wrong time.

The top two difficulties gotta be loving merciless "get hit 3 times by a skaven slave = dead"

Stormvermin and Rat Ogres kill you in two hits flat on merciless, and from what ive heard Stormvermin take off 90% of your health on cataclysm. You also deal 100% friendly fire damage with ranged weapons and bombs. Enjoy!

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Getting real sick of how few melee weapons im getting for the bright wizard. Ive checked out the loot rolls every time i win a mission and there's bound to be, at the very least, three staves, three-four weapons for other classes and maybe one BW melee weapon.

I cant even fuse crappy items together to try and get them, as the fusing thing makes either the same kind of weapon (if you put in five of the same in the slots), or a random weapon out of the ones you put in.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Brainamp posted:

I love the Trueflight bow so loving much right now, but goddamn it just cannot handle rogres. I think half the arrows I shot at one just whipped around its head until it finally died. Or got sick. One of those things happened.

The trueflight bow also causes disconnects if used VS rat ogres. Every time an elf joins (which is all of the time) i ask em if they use trueflight, cause after 7 disconnects i aint even bothering with that poo poo.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Man, they must have done something to something because Hard is now HARD. Our group had two lower level guys including myself, but we still just got bombarded with special after special

When it comes to special spawns the game can sometimes just go "gently caress these guys" and send you a RO, an ambush and a horde at the same time, along with a few specials just to make sure. Thats one of the things im not a fan of, sometimes the game just wont let you win.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Got a legendary Aqshy staff and a blue sword for the bright wizard through fusing, now to go for some good trinkets.

I personally like the bolt staff due to its armor penetration on both primary and secondary fire, the primary is awesome for stormvermin and specials while the secondary makes a nice "gently caress poo poo up" panic button.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Metos posted:

I literally got a white flame sword on my very next run, after rolling 0 successes. Looks cool, but yeah 0 chance of me using it vs that orange. I then ran 3 back to back successful Hards with 1 grimoire as we kept getting different pubbie elves who were all terrible, and managed to roll 1 success on every run. The Grimoire one. All is even in the world.

Staff chat: I have a -10%overcharge and 5% chance to split into 2 bolts Aqshy (Fireball) staff and I really can't imagine using any of the other staves yet, the basic attack guaranteeing two dead rats every time I click since it pierces is phenomenal, but just spamming fireballs like they're going out of style on top of the dwarf and Kruger when a patrol of Stormvermin or a horde is coming is just ridiculously good. The stagger from the fireballs makes them unable to attack and get cleaned up fast, its like a longer duration bomb where once its over I wade in to heal with my sword. Team member go down? Covering fire for days while you get him up!

On the downside, I was on the receiving end of the fireball barrage one time, and boy did I not realise how much bullshit it causes on the screen for the people in there. But I'm the brightwizard with my group so not my problem usually!

Wait a sec, the Aqshy staff is supposed to pierce? My exotic Aqshy hasnt pierced any enemies and seems to get stopped dead by even corpses.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Whats odd is that rolling the bones doesnt do anything. Its all smoke and mirrors like the payday 2 cards. If you havent got an exotic yet you get the achievement for getting one as soon as the mission ends instead of when the dice have been rolled.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
First run through magnus: No RO, six specials during the entire run, not a single ambush and two hordes. Second run through magnus: RO, two assassins, gunner and gasrat during the guardhouse along with an ambush, and after limping through that we get two packmasters, a gunner and an assassin along with an ambush and a horde.

gently caress this RNG.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The big thing that made L4D/2 enjoyable at higher difficulties was the knowledge that you could only get a certain amount of specials at once, and no duplicates. If you killed a hunter you knew you were in the clear for at least 10 seconds, and if you killed all of the specials you had some time to move through the level relatively unhindered. Here though there doesn't seem to be a stop to the specials spawns.

They spawn two at a time at set intervals regardless of how many are up. This is independent from the horde mechanic that is marked by a horn sounding in the distance, and the ambush mechanic which is a bunch of low whispers followed by a scream. The game also peppers in patrols and stormvermin alongside the normal rats. On top of this Rat Ogres are a separate thing from that, which means that if you're really unlucky you can end up with 6+ specials, a horde, an ambush and a RO at the same time. Usually this doesn't happen as the specials will trickle in two-three at a time, but sometimes they seem to stay behind the curtains until either a horde or an ambush pop up and just bumrush you all at once.

That means that its all up to random luck if you will have an easy run through or if you will barely make it to the gate in Horn of Magnus. There doesn't seem to be an AI director that spawns appropriate specials and hordes at appropriate times and lays off a bit if the group is in tatters. There is no up and down tension roller-coaster, its either a cakewalk or an absolute stomping.

The game itself is very fun, I just personally feel like Im at the whims of Nuffle on whether we make it through or not.

BombiTheZombie fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 20, 2015

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Remember there is such a thing as a luck stat in the game. Either stack it with trinkets or avoid cursed die if you want easier runs.

As far as i know the cursed die work the same way the Ranald's Blessing trinket works, just makes it less likely that you will find supplies in chests and spawnpoints. The tome/grim/cursed die mechanic is great and allows for a certain amount of choice when it comes to difficulty, but even if you run a straight out no grims/tomes map, you can still get dunked by the RNG spawning everything it has in one big blob.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Its a bit annoying when you get slammed through no fault of yours or your teams, but that's warhams for you.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Getting slammed by ridiculous spawns is the highlight of the game :)

True, hell most of Warhammer lore is "This guy totally died surrounded by overwhelming amounts of enemies and he killed like a hundred guys before getting chopped into pieces". On that note, i really wish they had a taunt/shout button that makes you shout inspirational quotes along the lines of "FOR THE EMPIRE", "SIGMAR PROTECTS" or some such. Would totally die to overwhelming odds spamming the poo poo out of that key.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I think ambushes have set points instead of randomly happening like a hoard. Just blew up the gate in the tower map and my friend noticed a lot of Skaven seemingly lining up in the roof tops above the path way to the staircase that leads to the tavern. He says that might be an ambush and I say those are random like hoardes. He fires his crossbow and takes one out and as soon as it happens an ambush starts and they all start jumping off the roofs for us. I've also noticed some rats backing off around a corner and when a player rounds them there's a group waiting and as soon as you round the bend an ambush starts. Anyone knows how ambushes start?

I don't think those are ambushes. Ambushes are very distinct and easily predictable as you will hear Skaven whispering stuff like "Quiet quiet, shh shh" or "Soon soon" a few seconds before screaming and rushing out of any spawnpoint available. What you experienced i call mini hordes. If there are a lot of rats in an area and someone gets close/makes a racket by shooting a gunpowder weapon or throwing a bomb, they get alerted and start a mini-horde.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Phrasing posted:

Is it just me or does the Bright Wizard suck?

The bright wizard is actually pretty cool and good. The staves all serve a distinct purpose (except for the beam staff, dont try to convince me) and their standard battle sword is pretty good at keeping hordes at bay with its sweeping attack. Comes out really fast and hits in a wide arc with a bonus chance to headshot.

Oh, and the ambush whisper is different from the gutter runner whisper. The GRs whisper has an echo effect while the ambush whisper is just a ton of rats chattering quietly. The GR also says something to the effect of "When their backs turn, we pounce".

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I hope it's successful enough that they continue to add more fun characters. I seriously love the banter in this game. It's one, big party for all of them, especially the dwarf who finds amusement in everything everyone does. And new outfits and customization. It isn't a Warhammer game until you see someone running around the gritty and drab environment in hot pink.

They all definitely treat it as a walk in the park. The dwarf sings, laughs and has a jolly good time. The only ones that are being a party poopers are the witch hunter and the elf.

Soldier/Dwarf/BW partyzone.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Grondoth posted:

Warhammer: The End Times: Wow That's A Lot of Goblins
Warhammer: The End Times: Nothin' But Nurglings

Warhammer: The End Times: Saurus Zone

Warhammer: The End Times: Elf Eradication

Warhammer: The End Times: Chaos Cruncher

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Whats funny is no-one but the Soldier feels sad if the elf dies. If the BW dies the Witch Hunter gets sad cause "If you die, then who will hate me :smith: " If the elf dies they all make a remark in the lines of "There goes the elf" or somesuch.

Basically, gently caress elves.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

She's a wizard, not a witch, which means she's officially Empire military and professionally trained.

This is something that i keep getting annoyed at. A Bright Wizard is an officially trained and schooled spellcaster from the Bright College in Altdorf, she has the regalia of a battle wizard. Saltzpyre shouldnt have any problems with her and has no right or jurisdiction to keep her from her business. Unless Saltzpyre is a curmudgeonly fart that hates all magic. Which he is.

But still.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Drakenel posted:

On the elevator going up to the horn tower, the BW will tease him after he makes his grumpy 'you better watch out' spiel at her, saying 'but you spend so much time around me, there's no shame in admitting you love me.' His only response (According to the subtitles) is *Angry sputtering*

The only thing missing is a monocle that pops when he sputters.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Thats because a Witch Hunter has the authority to do anything to root out chaos and heresy. Anything.

Burn down an entire village because there are rumors of a cult situated in it? No problems.

Lynching every man, woman and child of a household because they saw the wrong thing? Yep.

You don't gently caress with the witch hunters, they make the witch burnings look mild. Peak Warhammer distilled into one character.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Game wont be up until sometime tomorrow. The devs gave up and went home since they couldnt figure out the problem.

http://forums.fatsharkgames.com/discussion/2004/so-when-will-the-servers-be-online#latest

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

ChickenHeart posted:

AKA the witch hunter is the most tsundere character in all of Warhammer

"B-baka braito wizardo-chan, its not like i like you or a-anything..."

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Excuse me I am a mature and experienced gamer so I must discuss my opinions of the beta from the perspective of a professional reviewer by which I mean lovely streamer fnar fnar

As a paying and discerning video game enthusiast i *fart*

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

They already have a vampire in the group, so a playable one would be nice.

If you mean Olysseya then nah, she aint a vampire. She is just from not-russia (Kislev) and got gifted spectral horses by a wandering Amethyst Wizard. She is a smuggler, informant and bit of an rear end kicker according to the story, but not a vampire.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I wonder if this constitutes a "Major technical issue" that warrants a progression wipe?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What's that pubbie? You got outfitted in oranges because you kept exploiting beta bugs? Would be terrible if something happened to those :smug:

"But but but dont you see, standing underneath the platform in horn of magnus was a legit tactical choice! :qq:"

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Skandranon posted:

The dwarf has specific nicknames for each of the other players, some of the Khazalid language tips during the loading screens will explain one of them. Grimgi is his name for the Witch Hunter, probably making fun of him being so drat grim all the time.

Soldier = Azumgi = Tough Manling

Witch Hunter = Grimgi = Dour/Grim Manling

Bright Wizard = Zharryn / Zharrkvin = Flame Woman

Elf = Wautelgi = Stupid/Dumb Elf

Dawri = Fellows or non-dwarf companions

Drengbarhazi = Oathsworn Slayers (used as a honorary term for fellow warriors)

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Skandranon posted:

So is Dori just him talking to himself?

Its him addressing the group, sort of how you say "Someone grab the ammunition, people"

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The whole inn is filled with targets: plates, cups, bowls, sausages, skulls and flasks. Go how wild!

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Gear and trinkets help give you leeway for mistakes or bad luck, but no amount of gear will carry you through a level. One less hit to kill a monster means it has less chances to hit you, but unless you know how to shuck and jive, block and counter that one hit wont turn it around.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Anyone figured out if the Exotics are the same as Uniques in other games, i.e. a weapon that will always have the same types of bonuses?

Nope, they are simply stronger weapons with a few unique traits that can be rolled onto it. 15% attack speed and increased push strength are some that ive seen.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Just did a fantastic Horn of Magnus nightmare run with pubbies, all of them over level 20. We dispatched rats like a well oiled machine, watching each others backs and reacting with lightning speed to specials. Even took out a RO with no one taking damage. Got all three tomes and both grimoires with no problems whatsoever! I have had normal runs that went worse than that one.

Now i will forever be haunted by the fact that pubbies CAN be good, i just never end up in good groups :smith:

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Right, the spawning issue has gone way too far. Just did a Supply and Demand mission where we get a Rat Ogre, a stormvermin patrol and two packmasters along with a horde before we even make it to the apothecary. On the retry, we get a rat ogre and a globadier/gunner combo and a horde. We beat em just barely and proceed to the grain carrying part when another rat ogre spawns along with a packmaster, horde and assassin.

I get that some people enjoy being trounced through no fault of their own, but that doesn't make for a very fun or fair game in my opinion. Four out of ten or so games today has had my group alpha-striked, with two assassins, a horde and a packmaster bringing us down in ten seconds flat. 20-30 minutes of effort pissed away due to bad luck gets on the nerves real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

President Ark posted:

I have literally never seen the poo poo you're describing, let alone at the start of levels. What the gently caress difficulty are you playing on, cataclysm? :psyduck:

Hard / Nightmare. This doesnt happen everytime though, some runs are so easy we leave healing supplies behind. The deciding factor is how lucky/unlucky you get with the AI director spawning specials and hordes.

My friend recently bought the game, the first three games we played ended with us wiping to a tripple incap + 3-4 stormvermin ambush/horde. This was on normal.

• Locked thread