Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Greetings one and all. This was rather inevitable, wasn't it? My first LP was of Morrowind, I just wrapped up Oblivion, and, well, here we are!

Skyrim, for those of you both living under a rock and unable to perceive the image above this text, is the fifth of the Elder Scrolls games, and it certainly shook things up! While I've not played Arena or Daggerfall, I can safely say that it's my favorite in the series.

Didn't you do an LP of this before?
Yes. That was unrelated and we shall not speak of it.

Mods?
Geop and JordanKai.

No, I mean are you using any mods?
Oh! Yes, a scant few. Nothing that drastically changes the game, though. Well, I say that, but we'll explain that bridge when we come to it.

(sharp inhale before launching into spoilers)
Please restrict your plot discussion to things that have already happened in the LP. That goes for plot, mechanics and any other content. No black bars, either!

Anything else I should know?
As always, this is a semi-blind LP. I've played some Skyrim, but I'm by no means an expert.

So we playin' Skyrim or what?
'Course we are!

DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT ABOUT THE CHARACTER URGZOBB IN THE ICEWIND DALE II LP; I MERELY THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT NAME FOR AN ORC WHO IS ALSO A WIZARD. HE IS NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM MEANT TO BE AN HOMAGE TO SAID LP. ANY RESEMBLENCE TO PREVIOUS ORC SPELLCASTERS, LIVING OR DEAD, IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, IT IS STILL A GREAT NAME FOR AN ORC WHO IS ALSO A WIZARD.

Table of Contents
Character Creation, Part 1
Character Creation, Part 2
Slow Times in Riverwood
A Mild Chance of Adventuring
Now There Be Dragons
Valtheim's Folly
Urgzobb Does A Crime

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This post reserved for whatever. Idunno, man.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Character Creation, Part 1

Our hero awakens, jostled by the movements of a horse-drawn cart. The first thing he becomes aware of is biting cold.

He glances around. Poor roads. Pine trees. A mountain peak in the distance.

A reasonable assumption.

The man in front of him seems happy to see him awaken, and greets him with a thick Nordic accent.

Border crossing...border crossing. The man who as of yet is little more than a camera in a carriage remembers no such thing, and in fact, very few things in general. He has some inkling that he's in Skyrim, but outside of that? Nothing. No sense of identity. A past unclear. An amnesiac.

His companions exchange words. Words of exposition, words of context. Oh, but he is having none of it, dear readers! He simply looks at the passing scenery, hoping to shake off the terrible fog of drowsiness within and beaneath his eyes before he reaches his destination.

There is precious little chance of this happening.

Despite his best efforts, his brain internalizes a few key points: there is a faction of rebels called the Stormcloaks, and the gagged man next to him is their leader.

Perhaps more importantly, they are all to be put to death.

This shabby, disgusting man does not take well to such revelations. He screams internally.

The carriage comes to a stop.

They are to die here.

One last roll call.

The gagged man is Ulfric, a Jarl. That seems important.

The gentle, blonde man...he is Ralof, a rebel soldier.

The panicked man, Lokir...

...tries to run, and fails, shot dead. We quietly celebrate.

Who indeed? Yes, it's time for character voting! This is going to be a bit vague, for in Skyrim, there are no classes and no stats - or rather, there are no base attributes. Races get certain skill bonuses initially and have a unique ability, but for the most part, our choice here can mostly be considered a matter of aesthetic preference.

Argonians? Well, it's gotta be said - they look amazing. If you've played any other Elder Scrolls game, "most improved" probably comes to mind. It should be noted that they come with a +6 damage bonus when using their fists.

Bretons! The descendents of a contingent of the human ancestor race that bedded with elve a long time ago, so now they're magically-inclined humans. They start with a low-level summon.

Dark Elves are just some drow-rear end fuckin' elves, man. Gruff and tough. Not much else to say on the matter.

High Elves, on the other hand, are haughty wizard-elves, and they've shed their crippling elemental weaknesses of games past. They also get an additional 50 points of Magicka right out of the gate, which is NOT mentioned in character creation. What the hell, Bethesda?

Imperials are human-rear end humans with the power of manifest destiny.

Khajiit are kittymen, and get a whopping +12 bonus to unarmed damage. Goodness!

Nords is vikings, plain and simple.

Orcs look pretty drat good, actually.

Redguards are pretty cool, but someone at Bethesda's a goddamn racist.

And lastly, we have the Wood Elf, creepiest of the elves.

There's one more thing. In Skyrim, skills fall under three broad categories, symbolized by the constellations of the Warrior, the Thief and the Mage. So to vote, fill in the blanks: "I am a _____ and a ______". Race first, strong suit second. I will of course be picking the most popular race and specialization. There'll be more to do after that, but that may or may not get a proper update.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
"I am a(n) Orc, and a Thief"

Big green dudes are masters of stealth, trust me.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
"I am an Orc and a Mage"

But I really just want you to don wizard robes and go around bashing people with your magic staff club

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

"I am an Orc and a Mage"

Because the idea amuses me. Though I must admit the temptation for "I am a Lizard and a Wizard" was high.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I am an Orc and Warrior

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
"I am an Orc and a Mage"

We're not to character name yet, but our Orc Mage clearly needs to be named Orcane Master

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I am a ORC and a ORCTHIEF

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Khajit has wares if you have coin. I am a Warrior. Although perhaps a few more diverse options as necessary.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
"I'm an Argonian Thief. I can see it on your face. Don't call me a lizard. We hate that."

Oh, LW. :ohdear:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Ugato posted:

"I'm an Argonian ThiefMage. I can see it on your face. Don't call me a lizard. We hate that."

Oh, LW. :ohdear:

This needs to be corrected. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Anticheese posted:

This needs to be corrected. :colbert:

To be clear, is that your vote?

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I am a Redguard and a mage.

Just kind of want to see this.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I am an Orc and a thief. You wanna make somethin' of it?

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I am an Altemer and a Mage
Usually I push people to play as an Argonian, but I'm going with my other go-to combination for Skyrim.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Lizard Wizard posted:

To be clear, is that your vote?

Argonian Mage is my vote, to make it clear.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a wood-elf and a warrior when people see my weird rear end face running at them they have no choice but to be scared!

Worth noting if you picked up the lizwiz pictures script in the Oblivion thread it's a matter of a few seconds to swap the thread url out and make it function here just fine :v:.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
IIRC skyrim ties speed and damage to your height modifier, so that's another difference between the races, their slight height modifications, with high elves being the tallest

Also I am an argonian and a mage

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
"I am a(n) Orc, and a Thief"

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
edit: double post

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

I am a Breton Mage

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
I am an Orc and a Thief, because Orcs like to sneak. There was a whole song about it, come on.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Worth noting if you picked up the lizwiz pictures script in the Oblivion thread it's a matter of a few seconds to swap the thread url out and make it function here just fine :v:.

http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/181486 This is the script in question. You can, in fact, simply add in this thread's URL under "included pages" in user settings for the script (at least on firefox)

Obviously we should be an Orc Mage, simply because of how hilariously out of character it is for an orc.
Also human races are boring.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Orc mage is the best, be that!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Orc Mage, you should never pass up on an opportunity to be a muscle wizard.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012
a Breton male warrior named Arthur Pendragon. Let's start the legend of the sword in the stone and the man who would be King.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Y'know, if there's one thing I wasn't expecting, it was for you goony fucks to be so unified. Orc has berserked to the head of the pack with 12 votes, and Mage is as popular as two Thieves with its radical and conspicuously identical vote count of also 12!

This voting phase ends at 4 PM, CENTRAL TIME today.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 6, 2015

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I am a Lizard and a Wizard, obviously.
Also, you should make a lady character this time, cos' why not.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
orcs are almost always the lamest race in any fantasy they appear in.

I am a Lizard and a Thief.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I am a Nord and a warrior. I always play the same race as the province the game is set in, because I have no imagination.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I am a Nord and a Mage. I'm sick and tired of Lizard Mages, let's go full Loki instead now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I am an Orc and a Mage.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Orcs are the second best race in the game. Why? Since they are the second tallest race. High elfs being the tallest. The taller you are the faster you walk. Orcs also have the best melee racial skill. Though most of the other racials suck so might as well pick the orc no matter what. Some races have decent racial resistances but they arent that important by the end of the game. So basically Orc wizard. My personal favorite build was always to go orc wizard who puts all his points into health since the other two stats are pretty worthless.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I am an Orc and a Mage. Let's play against stereotypes shall we?

Frozt
Aug 27, 2012

BooOooOOoOOoo
I am an Orc and a Mage, because why not?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I'm a Khajiit Warrior who punches things, because someone has to. :colbert:
Although Orcs are awesome, so this is also ok. :keke:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 6, 2015

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
I am a High Elf and a Thief. "Thal" is actually Altmer for "take".

Why are you doing this to yourself? You were free! You were free...:negative:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Quit being racist, who says I can't be an Orc and a Mage?

I do expect you to brutally correct anyone who alludes to lesser intellect, no matter the nonexistence of attributes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is the shittiest game I ever put 50 hours into. It never gets bad enough to say "gently caress this, I quit" like its predecessor, but it's a constant "I wonder if its ever get better, otherwise I'm just stopping" and then you're at the end of the main quest. I don't think I've ever seen a game so consistently underwhelming.

Anyway, go for the Orc Mage because it literally doesn't matter.

• Locked thread