Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Sentient Data posted:

Good thing there's no rule in there that the woman needs to know it's happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ8mdRBs3rg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

it's "eg...Ghana", can't you read?

Do you know what "eg" means? It clears after you type something and has "eg... Ghana" to remind you how words work.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Besesoth posted:

But the screenshot clearly shows Australia.

I can't tell if I'm being trolled. If not, try clicking the link and typing something in. Then maybe you'll understand.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Iraq and Iran- friends? They were definitely enemies under Saddam, but I thought they were still enemies because Iran sends forces into Iraq to destabilize them.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

This one I understand.

Edit: Christ, how did you match the font?

It took me a minute, but drat that's good.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Thank you for your hot take on just why this picture was bad, we were all trying to figure it out

Do you add anything to this thread?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

That's not a great circle. A great circle has to have the same diameter as the sphere it lies on. Longitude lines are great circles, but except for the equator latitude lines are not.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Woodrow Wilson was a progressive?

Most people consider him one. He was very racist, but so were a lot of progressives in that era. The term has changed meaning in recent years.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Roblo posted:

If anyone has an actually good infographic like that world history chart I'd like to see it. I'm terrible at lining world history up in my head, and how one areas history lines up with another.

Can certainly see the issues with that one, though.

Maybe this is something you’d like? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Wu0Q7x5D0

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

How well will our floppy disks, CDs, USB drives, and hard disk drives record our history? How long will celluloid film, magnetic tape, and paper documents last? In 10,000 years, what we do today will be a mystery. Some history from the last 100 years is already lost because the medium on which it was stored is unreadable.
Just film history, every time a new consumer format is developed, not all material gets up-converted or re-released. If you think working VCRs are hard to find, try a BetaMax player.

There was an entire episode of Cowboy Bebop about trying to find a Betamax player.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

In Scandinavia until the late 1800s, they'd just reuse the name of the last kid that died. I've seen like 4 kids with the same name die and be "reborn" like that.

One major reason was that children were almost always steadfastly named after a certain rigorous system, depending where you were from. Some places it was grandpa paternal/maternal, then grandma maternal/paternal, etc. Very inscrutable, and very specific. Also, if someone in the family died, regardless of specific relation, chances are the next kid born would bear their name, so naturally a child born after a dead older sibling would get their name as well.

"Alright, John the fourth — let's see if you can catch the ball this time eh?" says John the first, desperately

This is a plot point of Trans Siberian Orchestra’s rock opera Beethoven’s Last Night. The story is about the devil trying to make a Faustian bargain with Beethoven, who eventually signs a contract giving the devil a symphony written by “Ludwig van Beethoven, firstborn of Johann van Beethoven.” However, it turned out Johann had had a previous son also named Ludwig who died in infancy, so the devil was only entitled to a symphony written by that infant. “I guess back then coming up with names was hard.”

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

Please: Philips Hamilton

lmbo thats how you trick the devil, literally with literalisms

also a very much better story than Lutha Mahtin's incredibly white tedx talk about seeing the musical with his fiancée. gross.

I don’t know what you’re talking about, but it sounds funny. I tried to google it, but google thought I was asking about Martin Luther.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

And Ricky fucks it up for him every time

Surely you mean Gregory.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

-40? Time to go home and drink! -20? Time to go home and drink! 0? Time to go home and drink! +20? Time to go home and drink! -+40? OK so I am hallucinating, time to cool down and drink!

-40 is the same in both systems.

:goonsay:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Memento posted:

I'm most offended at "left scale" and "bottom scale".

I don't know if this is standard, but when I took an economics class I remember being very angry that the independent variable was on the y-axis. I think it was because they always put price on y, so if you're changing price independently then your graph is sideways.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

It's worse than that. That's an attempt to "fit" the curve to data. The original curve was based on these three points:

• At 0% tax, you collect no money.
  • At 100% tax, you also collect no money, because everyone would evade taxes out of necessity.
  • At some point in between, there must be a maximum amount of money collected.

From this he draws a curve literally (actually literally) on a bar napkin and earns himself a spot on Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board.

Those three points are just Rolle’s Theorem. So he dazzled Reagan with cutting edge math from 1691?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TinTower posted:

You're assuming the function of tax revenues collected as a percentage of GDP is continuous.

And differentiable, but I think that’s a fair assumption if you could make arbitrarily small changes to the tax rate. Whereas if you can’t, then the image of the function is a finite set and it must have a maximum.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Not only is the implication the other way around, but in fact most (whatever that means) continuous functions from R to R are nowhere differentiable. We live in a very strange corner of the mathematical universe.

I love it when you have these things that are so difficult to construct yet are provably almost everything. Normal numbers are another example.

Jurgan has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Jun 2, 2019

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Paladinus posted:

It can be a spectrum. Imagine the centre is marked 'taintlickers'.

Imagine four taints on the edge of a cliff.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a lot of comedies are still really funny though. charlie chaplin is still funny. laurel and hardy. i love lucy. blazing saddles. the canard "comedies don't age well" is the problem really

It’s implied at times that Ricky beats Lucy.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Fascism also had Willpower as an actual physical force that could change the universe, thus why you'd always win against superior odds because you had THE WILL and they didn't. They weren't even subtle, there's a reason the infamous propaganda film is called Triumph of the Will. If the Ratte has all those problems, it doesn't matter because the pure Aryan WILLPOWER emanating from it's crew will make it invincible.

Are you saying Nazis believed in The Secret?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Venn is rolling in his grave.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

You say anti-clockwise, I say positive in theta.

drat right. If you have a problem with it, take a trig class.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Have you ever been in the countryside east of Denver?? It's basically West Kansas.

This is true, but once you see the mountains you’re not in the Midwest.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

The other issue is that the major cultural regions of the US don't line up very well with state borders. Eastern Texas is part of the South, for instance, but the rest of the state is definitely not.

Northern Florida is Southern, but (to quote Tim Wilson) once you get south of Gainesville you’re back in Michigan.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/foowombats/status/1163871194229161985?s=21

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Trabant posted:

It says Obama supports them all, but not equally.

Which is probably true, but I'd bet he's more of a Warren man.

Possibly, but he obviously has a lot of personal affection for Biden, which is a good reason to stay out of it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Where the gently caress else can you put literal mansions

Some live in New York City penthouses.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/Joana_Cook/status/1180133229518561282?s=20

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

zoux posted:

The maths is incontrovertible lads

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

that graph was taught to me in school as one of the best ones ever. i believe it. a fun fact about it is that the guy who designed it made it because he was anti-war, and wanted to have an easy way to show people how much Napoleon's wars were costing in terms of human life

Yeah, I find the fetishization of Napoleon as some great revolutionary hero pretty disturbing, given the millions (?) of people who died in his wars.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

There was that civil war doctor that had a 300% fatality rate for a surgery

Are you saying every time he attempted it, he killed the patient and two bystanders?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Used an archaic name instead of Tbilisi and recognized Western Sahara? Both of those are forgivable, but besides those minor hiccups, the map seems legit.

Is this a bit, or do you not notice the missing country?

Mr. Fix It posted:

Armenians and Kurds only want one thing

A homeland?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

klafbang posted:

It's a model of when we can multitask; we can multitask if tasks don't overlap on any of 3/4 dimensions: modality, coding, response, (and visual channel).

Why are the response and code dimension in the same direction? Why is there an unnecessary stage dimension? What even is the visual channel dimension ovaling into the visual modality? Why is this a box? A box suggests that as long as we don't overlap on any one dimension, we're good, while the model states we need to avoid overlap on all of them. gently caress you, that's why.

Map this onto a Klein Bottle.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ugh, this graph is terrible. I can't believe that people make graphs like this and expect to be taken seriously. At least the axes are labeled, but there's no indication of units or amount, and there's no source.

It’s not even a real function, since it fails the vertical line test in the middle.

I’m not in D&D, right? So why is there a picture of Mike Pence?

Jurgan has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Jan 14, 2020

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

The big long dip is for summer vacation, the big downward spike at the end of each year is for Christmas break, the smaller downward spike just before that is probably for American Thanksgiving, and it peaks just before summer for spring finals. Interesting that there seems to be a significant difference between fall and spring baselines, with spring consistently higher. Is exponential growth a topic more likely to be taught in the second semester of a year-long course? Do students give more of a poo poo in the spring? I don't know.

If I were teaching a year-long algebra course, I would definitely have exponential functions in the second semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/andrewyang/status/1559519779089747968?s=21&t=QYMFSCfxXAtxQ9JdPsq5Bg