Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Christmas is his job, who the gently caress is pro their job?

I assumed he just really liked terrorizing children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Krampussing isn't just a job, it's a passion, a way of life.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life.

(alternatively you come to loathe it once you have to rely on it for a living)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Cops?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Oh. Well ok he's the Christmas cop. Ughhh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

graphs without yule axes are bad imo. xpost for yuletide greetings!

Krankenstyle posted:

In the nordic countries, we used to have the Yulebuck (similar to Krampus of recent internet fame). Here are some images from Sweden (Julbock):

And from Finland (Joulupukki; these are definitely modern drawings made to look old but whatever):

He is called Julebuk in Danish & Norwegian (bokmål). I was hoping to find one by Louis Moe but my googling is proving fruitless. Anyway, with time he has become bowdlerized into an entirely harmless buck made from straw:

In the Swedish town of Gävle, they've built a several meters tall straw Julbock every year since 1966. It has become an illegal tradition to set fire to it, which has so far happened 37 times.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

This one is more on the funny side, I guess.

ah yes, the catholic church, famous anti-capitalist heroes

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

ah yes, the catholic church, famous anti-capitalist heroes

The catholic church isn’t on that chart though? Just a bunch of characters from popular christmas-related stories.

The one I assume you’re referring to is said, in the first books written about him, to have used violence to shut down banks and to have told his followers to give away all their money, so classifying him as an anti-capitalist character does not seem unreasonable.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

He solved the traveling salesman problem and this is what he did with it?

What do the colours represent in the top one?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Soricidus posted:

The catholic church isn’t on that chart though? Just a bunch of characters from popular christmas-related stories.

The one I assume you’re referring to is said, in the first books written about him, to have used violence to shut down banks and to have told his followers to give away all their money, so classifying him as an anti-capitalist character does not seem unreasonable.

Plus the Church actually is anti-capitalist in the sense of wanting to return to the pre-capitalist era

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The retard masturbator who gets to work from home, presumably.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Beartaco posted:

What do the colours represent in the top one?

It’s just designating if a point is in the first, second, third or fourth quarter of the optimal path

http://www.randalolson.com/2015/02/03/heres-waldo-computing-the-optimal-search-strategy-for-finding-waldo/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Maxwells Demon posted:

The retard masturbator who gets to work from home, presumably.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I would like it if this doxxed me. Alas.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The world currently contains about a hundred thousand computes. :hmmyes:

Fake edit:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Powered Descent posted:

Fake edit:

I’m the year 2022

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Powered Descent posted:

Fake edit:

im away from my photoshop computer but pretend I made the standard “the hole made by the Finnish hyperwar” edit

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
E: nm

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

It's a model of when we can multitask; we can multitask if tasks don't overlap on any of 3/4 dimensions: modality, coding, response, (and visual channel).

Why are the response and code dimension in the same direction? Why is there an unnecessary stage dimension? What even is the visual channel dimension ovaling into the visual modality? Why is this a box? A box suggests that as long as we don't overlap on any one dimension, we're good, while the model states we need to avoid overlap on all of them. gently caress you, that's why.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Winklebottom posted:

It’s just designating if a point is in the first, second, third or fourth quarter of the optimal path

http://www.randalolson.com/2015/02/03/heres-waldo-computing-the-optimal-search-strategy-for-finding-waldo/

Awesome link, thank you! He even talks about how he got around the Traveling Salesman Problem to find a reasonably optimal path.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

klafbang posted:

It's a model of when we can multitask; we can multitask if tasks don't overlap on any of 3/4 dimensions: modality, coding, response, (and visual channel).

Why are the response and code dimension in the same direction? Why is there an unnecessary stage dimension? What even is the visual channel dimension ovaling into the visual modality? Why is this a box? A box suggests that as long as we don't overlap on any one dimension, we're good, while the model states we need to avoid overlap on all of them. gently caress you, that's why.

I worked in academic psychology and I knew that this was going to be some bullshit just from the thumbnail. Psychologists are really really bad at not just theory, but visualising theory.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I feel like I get why this chart is like this but wow it is not at all clear.

(the segments with smaller listed fractions are larger because there are more of those people on the crew overall, so the fraction is how much each individual person earns while the size of the slice is the total share of the portion that goes to that part of the crew)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nah it isn't even that, its breaking down a distribution that takes one person of each rank

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

klafbang posted:

Map this onto a Klein Bottle.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Obra Dinn sequel looking kinda lovely.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

From a few spot checks, it looks like the relative sizes are correct in that the Mates 2% piece is about double the Boatsteerers 1%.

The issue is that the use of a pie chart visually implies that the captain took on ~33% of the total income instead of the 7% that they actually did.

I'm guessing the best option would be to use a bar graph. Maybe normalize everything to multiples of the lowest pay group.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
e: really need to start reading graphs properly before making snarky comments about them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Researchers weren't able to locate any Southern girls in the state of Texas.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is not consistent with my experience of the pac nw

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dave Grool posted:

This is not consistent with my experience of the pac nw

I mean, there are absolutely tan girls here. they just go to tanning salons or are Latinx

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Note the phrase "According to Brian Wilson":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmIsdMWzdaE

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kantesu posted:

I don't think anyone missed the reference.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

It bothers me that they didn't fill inside the letters. Were is the commitment? :arghfist:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kantesu posted:

To be fair he says that West coast girls are tanned, so that includes California as well. I suspect it wasn't his intention to lump the pnw in that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1212463523131019265

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Even if they used a reasonable 2019 wage then ignoring the cost of rent would still make that chart bullshit

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Just a reminder it is the Washington Post that is the legitimate one. Washington Times is the Moonie owned rag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Chin Strap posted:

Just a reminder it is the Washington Post that is the legitimate one. Washington Times is the Moonie owned rag

the post is owned by bezos, it's also a rag.

and even before it was sold to him it was effectively shadow-owned by the foreign policy establishment/mid-century democratic party bosses