Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

This is the first time I've seen this graph. I don't even know where to begin. Why does the US male/female line move around if they aren't musicians? Does anyone seriously believe that the average life span of a rap star is 27? Don't blues stars have awful health?

I actually went and found the article, and discovered that they were only focusing on people that had died, and ignored the living. Goddamn this graph is stupid. Does this person not realize that Punk, Metal, Rap and Hip Hop have only been around for a few decades compared to the blues and loving jazz? So anyone who has already died has died early? This is very thinly veiled "new stuff is bad and will kill you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

When he doesn't get nominated by the GOP, that's exactly what he's going to do. At that point, the GOP can pick Jesus Christ himself to be the Republican presidential candidate and we'd still have another Clinton in the White House on January 20th.

I was wondering what was wrong with this graph, seeing as a difference of one degree is pretty significant for country-wide temperature. Then I saw the years on the X-axis. Welp

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

you have some very outdated ideas on what the tallest building in New York is :v:

I just learned today that the One World Trade Center is exactly 1,776 feet high. That's actually kinda cool. For non-US goons, that is the year of America's independence.

Also, in case you wanted actual information instead of that bullshit map about building heights, Wikipedia has a pretty good article about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_by_U.S._state

The highest building in Vermont is 38 feet tall. 11 meters. :v:

edit: I am a very silly and wrong person.

trapped mouse has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Feb 10, 2016

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Oops.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They're very religious, which would have them lean towards the republicans of 15 years ago. Current republicans lean on a lot of anti-immigration anti-welfare rhetoric which pushes Puerto Rico back over to the left.

Why on earth would Puerto Ricans care about immigration? A lot of Mexican-Americans don't care about immigration now that they're citizens, Puerto Ricans are already citizens.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Sinking Ship posted:

Trump's campaign platform is pretty much 'I hate brown people' so...

Well yeah, but Puerto Ricans have no reason to care at all about immigration. They also said "current republicans", not Trump. And not all Puerto Ricans are brown.

Of course, the same could be said of Mexicans and Muslims.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

itskage posted:

Not even the numbers work. A decimal, a whole number, then a range.

It's a pretty awful graph. Even ignoring the fact that it has no Y axis, and it's just a line with an arbitrary bend, they're clearly saying 12-14 to make it more shocking even though (like they did with 19.5) they could just average it out to 13. Still a pretty hosed up situation, especially because it doesn't really seem like a sexually liberated society, so a lot of these women are probably coerced if not worse. Man, Russia really kind of sucks.

Edit: Holy poo poo, the oversexualized model they use to indicate "16". Plus, lol at the teddy bears used to indicate age.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

cool and good posted:

$10 to get buzzed on craft beer? That's an entire six pack of most of the good ones.

hahahaha

you have no idea how bad it gets

i work at a liquor store and gently caress craft beer

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Thoughtless posted:

What planet do these people live on where a book costs more than a video game, or a downloaded movie costs more than a movie at the theatre?

To be fair, for a while buying a DVD was far more expensive than seeing a movie, it's only just now kind of becoming the same price. And that's only if you see it in 3D. I mean, I live in a city, not a town, and there's a theatre in my town that does $6 dollars for a matinée showing on a weekday. These are new movies, if you want to buy the same movies the minute they become legally available on digital download it's going to cost a lot more than six dollars.

gently caress the maker of that graph tho. People get so pissed off about video games not being respected, but also not wanting to change all the bad poo poo about them and becoming offended when you suggest that exact same thing.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:aaa:

That's actually amazing, accurate, informative, and relevant. Probably in fact the absolute best use of a venn diagram I've ever seen

Actually, this is the best venn diagram:

But yeah, that's a pretty good graph.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

FPzero posted:

What gets me is the coloring of Democrats as red and Republicans as blue. :psyduck:

Fun fact: The idea of democrats being labelled blue and republicans red wasn't actually cemented until the 2000 election. Often times networks would use other colors, it was really just another graph after all. But, red can have negative connotations, so the person who made this graph may have more right-leaning political views. Which is the case for pretty much all the people who make these graphs.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Yeesh, yeah, every gun owner that she's referring to is an american gun owner, so that is supposed to be a circle within a circle.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

DarkHorse posted:

LABEL YOUR oh wait

Both of these little guys have a bit of the :stare: expression going.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I don't have a problem with the message of this graph, but the idea of including a country with no data in a bar graph is hilarious.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Powered Descent posted:

Pretty tame by Fox News standards, but I'm amused that the evangelicals add up to 109%.

Remember folks, this is the news media described as "too liberal" by Trump supporters.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

quite stretched out posted:

apparently "it's about regional development in health, education, HDI and GNI."

Alright, so it's hard to represent four types of data in one graph, and granted, this is a very creative way of doing it, but it's so unscientific that there's no point in making it. Where does the trunk end and the branches begin? Do the branches count as the trunk or the leaves? Why use such a tiny color spectrum? Leaves turn red too, I can see color pretty well but I can barely tell the difference between any of the continents/years.

And disregarding all that, we can't see any goddamn numbers. This isn't a pie chart where ratios are inferred. gently caress this poo poo. Do it well or don't do it at all.

edit: if there was a starker contrast between points it would be more excusable

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

The bottom two graphs are fine, but the top two graphs are stylized to the point of obfuscation.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What the gently caress. (Should I be unbookmarking politically loaded maps thread?)

Unless you want your history to have some messed up poo poo in general, you should unbookmark Something Awful.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
All these theories about voting are assuming that the true heart of the electorate believes in their philosophy, and any evidence contradicting that is merely a problem of the voting system.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

This would be fine if there were any sort of graphical consistency between percentages. When you get into the regions that are more vegetarian than not, it becomes a mess. And the worst one is smack dab in the center.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Subvisual Haze posted:

I imagine your standard mark looks at this and sees about half the lines are above average income. An awful graph, but awful in the moral sense.

Even better, your average mark knows that he or she is better than other people in this program, and is positive that they can rise past the upper one percentile.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Yikes. This is insane. You'd think the first goal of this chart would be to make it obvious of the order that the websites are in, but the differences in size are often imperceptible. In fact, Twitter (#9) looks larger than Facebook (#3).

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

Holy moley, better stay away from dinosaurs.

Yeah, no poo poo

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
If you're gonna cause a political derail, at least do it in a political alignment chart so it fits the thread.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

CapitanGarlic posted:

No longer true, actually - while Montana has on the books the "General Speed Law" that used to govern highway speeds (that is, a speeding ticket can be written for any vehicle travelling at 'speeds unsafe for the conditions'), there is a day-and-night speed limit on all highways and interstates now. Bear in mind this was only brought about when federal road funding was threatened to be revoked unless a limit was put in place.

Instead, blame should be cast on Montana's incredibly lax DUI laws - a DUI is not a felony offense until the fourth within five years.

As an additional fun fact, open container laws weren't state-wide until about 2009 - prior to that, it was per-city or per-county.

Isn't there still a state that doesn't have open container laws? I want to say...Arkansas?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

jeebus bob posted:

This whole page: http://politiken.dk/udland/art5938193/Se-udviklingen-for-de-europæiske-socialdemokratier

It shows the percentage of votes achieved/polled for various European social democratic parties.

Yikes yikes yikes. Maybe the flowers were created first and the person decided or was asked to assign each country to a flower? That being said, it's not hard to open up MS Paint and just try to even things out.

It would have been a pretty misleading graph no matter what

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Actually, the real question here is why is a made up word from a forty (fifty? More? Too lazy to fire up IMDb) year old movie the most common spelling question in two states?

Mary Poppins doesn't really seem like the type of move to come out around 1977

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

:jerkbag:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Ah yes, when I think Newgrounds, I think introduction to the deep web.

I certainly don't think "Flash based website that has been irrelevant for nearly a decade".

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Byzantine posted:

Puerto Rico has voted to remain a territory and not become a state every time the issue has come up.

Nope, 5 years ago they voted to become a state. Congress just decided not to do anything about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2012

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football (not a graph but a (visual/) story thing.)

You know, I saw this, saw the post below it, prepared myself for whatever and clicked the link.

I don't know what this is, but I wasn't prepared for it.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

It is interesting how the one group on that list that is technically a religion is the only one where they don't mention anything about their faith.

It also seems like the most blunt and negative description. Whoever wrote this seems almost reverent of every culture except for the "Blacks" and the "Jews", as they label them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

KillHour posted:

Israeli isn't on here, but if it was, it would start out in normal text and get bigger and bigger until it was screaming at you in all caps.

do you not know what semitic means

i mean, even the graph they use to demonstrate it is pretty much literally what you're describing

also, israeli isn't a language