Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not filled in yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the joke is that rapiers are (literally) straight but I'm probably overthinking it.

This. Also the gayest sword is the cutlass because not only is it literally not straight, it is used by pirates and sailors.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Well, for the record, I distributed the left-right axis almost completely randomly, except for the actual swords in which I considered how literally straight they are.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The assignment should have been "take some data that clearly shows a conclusion, then make it show the opposite conclusion." The goal shouldn't be to inflict poison upon the eyes, but to mislead in the way that bad charts (even ones with good graphic design) often do. That would be more educational, and more interesting.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I was so baffled I read the article, and it's not wars, it's WAR - wins above replacement. How he calculates WAR is a bit suspect, but the biggest problem is that as far as I can tell it's an absolute sum of WAR stats, not an average, which means that someone with a long, successful, and above all famous campaign (like Napoleon or Julius Caesar) will have a huge numerical advantage vs. someone for whom only one battle is present on Wikipedia, even if they won that battle handily while at a huge disadvantage.

Right after that graph he trash-talks Robert E Lee, so there's at least something good in the article.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Karia posted:

No scale on the first one. The second is just amusing. Guess what's being measured.

Frequency of use of emojis by pro- and anti-white supremacists. https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3359495

Didn't know there was a sig rune emoji :cripes:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Theris posted:

Sometimes a lightning bolt is just a lightning bolt.

Although that doesn't stop internet nazis from using it as a sig rune.

Oh, I know it was intended innocently. I just wish that the design was even slightly different from a sig rune. You could mirror it, for example.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Theris posted:

https://twitter.com/brenda_songy/status/1199301478751592448

I'm whatever is happening on the bottom left.

Edit: Also "Ocasia." Russia, Japan, and the Weimar Republic more conservative than Iran. :psyduck:

lol @ ronald "regan" being far left from "where the right becomes dangerous to its citizens". I guess the chart-maker wasn't thinking about poors or black people.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Needs some additional changes then.

I'm WAAY too lazy to turn that map of the US into a map of Turkey

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I see you have won at windows solitaire.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Put a regression line on it

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

here I made it a polynomial

:sickos:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Vavrek posted:

Oh! Thanks, I was trying to come up with something and getting nowhere.

The big long dip is for summer vacation, the big downward spike at the end of each year is for Christmas break, the smaller downward spike just before that is probably for American Thanksgiving, and it peaks just before summer for spring finals. Interesting that there seems to be a significant difference between fall and spring baselines, with spring consistently higher. Is exponential growth a topic more likely to be taught in the second semester of a year-long course? Do students give more of a poo poo in the spring? I don't know.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

SerialKilldeer posted:

^What is "The Game" meant to be here anyway?

I was curious, did some googling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_the_Game_(1946_TV_series)

Timing checks out - I'd guess that the show inspired a short-lived practice of using "The Game" to refer to charades.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Okay so there's a few problems with this plan, chief among them that quickening the Earth's orbit means either making it highly elliptical or moving it closer to the Sun, as has been already pointed out.
Also that's much harder than changing the rotational speed (which is already really, really hard and will require the building of at least one extra-long space elevator). Here's my revised version:

(1) Decrease the rotational speed of the Earth so that it completes 361 rotations in one year, which means 360 new "days" that are slightly longer than the old day (the extra is for the fact that it also revolves around the sun)
(2a) As long as you're changing the definitions of time intervals, might as well decimalize. Redefine the second so that a day is exactly 100,000 seconds
(2b) The day is now separated into minutes (100 seconds), kilosecs (10 minutes), and hours (10 kilosecs or 100 minutes). 4 kilosecs is roughly equivalent to one old hour. It'll take some adjusting but the payoff of being decimal is worth it.
(3) The year starts on March 1 now, for two reasons: the symbolism of spring and rebirth is the public reason (in the northern hemisphere), but the real reason is so that the names "September," "October," "November," and "December" finally make sense again. Also obviously all the months are 30 days now. No need for leap days or anything, we already solved that when we adjusted Earth's rotational speed.
(4) I'm also tempted to say that weeks should be 10 days, with like 7 days on 3 days off. That might be too many consecutive days working, but at least you get a longer weekend which is better for travel and such. So maybe the middle day is a half-day? Adding three days to the week lets you name three new days, which is nice because there's three planets that don't have days of the week named after them yet (Earth, Uranus, and Neptune).

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

bertolt rekt posted:

wait what about leap years

I already solved that when I adjusted Earth's rotational speed to be a perfect integer fraction of a year.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

We've already got these space elevators that we're using to adjust Earth's rotational inertia in the first place; instead of inserting a leap second we'll just give the rotational speed the appropriate adjustment.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

zedprime posted:

That's just a physical leap second, doesn't fix your clock being wrong for a period of time.

The clock's not wrong, it's the EARTH that is wrong, and is being brought back into alignment with the clock. There is no leap second; the seconds never change. If you were measuring time by looking at the oscillations of cesium or whatever that atomic clocks use, it'd be correct, just not quite matching up with the Earth. The only reason we do leap seconds in real life is because we can't fix the Earth, so we're loving up our time to match the Earth's fuckery.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

zedprime posted:

If you don't care about accurately measuring the precession of the earth while time keeping (so your seasons and poo poo don't get hosed up) you can just use a simple epochal time keeping not unlike Julian day. Just ignore the earth, he won't hurt you if you stop measuring him with a clock.

Well the point is that we can keep our time fixed like the Julian day, but ALSO keep the time simple and intuitive and in line with the seasons, or more accurately, keep the seasons in line with our new fixed time. Earth's rotation has been an unruly master for TOO LONG and must be brought to heel!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Taken from a twitter thread where some of the visuals are not very well thought out

Ah yes, that infamous tactic of war: nonviolence.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Karia posted:

Anyone who hasn't see it, please read that tweet thread unspoiled, it goes places.

https://twitter.com/harmonylion1/status/1219291414653104130

Haha holy poo poo. I thought Double Punctuation's post was a non-sequitur joke. Was absolutely sure it was going to end with "and that's why the blacks are too uppity" but it went to a MUCH crazier place.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Due to its small size, Vatican City actually contains approximately 1.4 popes per square mile.

It's actually 5.3 popes per square mile, according to the area number I got off Wikipedia (0.19 sq miles).

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh poo poo where did it go oh poo poo IT MIGHT BE IN MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW
https://i.imgur.com/WcL133K.gifv

Hide your kids, hide your wife kids

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Phy posted:

sorry if this was posted before

e: the "fly knife" is one of those thingies anime ninjas are always throwing at eachother instead of shurikens

When I GIS for "fly knife -butter -butterfly", I do not get anything that looks like a kunai.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Before reading the description of the metric I thought they were multiplying the average body length of a newborn by the number of births per hour. Like, in a if-you-lined-all-these-newborns-end-to-end kind of deal.

(11.979 babies)/(1000 people)*(328200000 people in US)*(19.69 in/baby)/(12 in/ft)/(5280 ft/mi)/(365 days/non-leap year)/(24 hours/day)

= 0.1395 miles of baby per hour in the US in 2019.

Interesting that we get more baby Miles per hour than baby miles.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

What are the nodes supposed to be?

How can it be possible that there are no connections between geology and chemistry or physics? Or "brain research" and social sciences? And it's hard to tell, but also seemingly none between biology and medicine?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

so are the nodes supposed to be individual papers? if so, my god, what a tiny sample size. they couldn't find, e.g., more than 10 astrophysics papers?

or are they supposed to be journals? or what? looking at this image is going to make my brain dribble out my ears

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

That's the USCD Map of Science. Which is an attempt to visualize the current state of science. The nodes sub disciplines e.g. marine biology, data mining or vocational counselling. The links are citations between disciplines.

So the idea that the nodes are sub-disciplines makes it make a lot more sense. but why this map have tons of connections between biology and earth science but few between biology and chemistry? surely that can't be right?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

SerialKilldeer posted:

e: On second thought tachyons are the most conservative particle since they go back in time. Therefore the chart is bullshit.

Agreed, tachyons are definitely libertarian right. They don't follow the normal laws of physics, they go back in time, they're a complete fantasy.

Higgs Bosons are centrists, they don't really do anything except slow everything down.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

this is not awful or funny. this is a good and useful periodic table.

redleader posted:

"metals" should probably be "who cares"

No, we care about metals. Metals are trace elements, but they're still important to stellar dynamics.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

When 99.87% of the nuclei in the universe (by number, not mass) are either hydrogen or helium, it does become useful to have a one-word catch-all term for "elements that aren't hydrogen or helium." We do occasionally care about what specific elements we're talking about, but often they're all lumped together, such as when talking about the "metallicity" of a star - the concentration of elements that aren't hydrogen or helium, which is usually expressed as a mass fraction, and is a pretty useful number for predicting how a star evolves over time.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I don't know why that second one says the tooth fairy is gives equal value to all children. Finding out that you only get a dollar but your friend gets five dollars is how six-year-olds realize two very important lessons: 1) the tooth fairy isn't real, therefore adults constantly lie, and 2) life isn't fair, especially when it comes to money. They might not learn what the word "capitalism" is for another decade, but it is that day when they discuss the tooth fairy with their school friends that they first learn its meaning.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

???

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Obviously the goal is to get Vatican City to compete in 2024. Granted it may be difficult for them to qualify given the average age of the citizenship but I'd imagine the swiss guard are pretty athletic.

They've got over 11 popes per square mile; surely at least one of them must have some athletic talent.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Pasco posted:

Loss edits get ever more elaborate.

Here you go.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

I didn't notice the issue at first, had to click through to the tweet comments to find it.

The Y-axis has 5.5 where 6 should be, in order to make it look more impressive

Hah, didn't notice that. I thought the joke was simply that the economy rebounding after a sudden downturn has absolutely nothing the gently caress to do with who is president, and also that the rebound comes at the cost of thousands of lives of antivaxxers and covid deniers and therefore it's a bit crass to celebrate it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

There is some definite fuckery going on with how they got the data for that graph. The way there are such clear discontinuities between states tells me that there must be some kind of difference in methodology between the states, right? The data is self-reported by telephone survey.

https://www.countyhealthrankings.or...essive-drinking

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

This all feels like quibbling over details; none of it changes the author's point that the range of human experience is much, much smaller than the range of physical phenomena in the universe. The graph is not meant to be exact anyhow.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Platystemon posted:

They’re only off by a factor of eight thousand.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep02617

Tunicate posted:

Under the right conditions it's possible to detect single photons with the human eye, so in that regard humans can actually hit the rock-bottom of the scale

The chart isn't trying to capture what humans can technically detect, but rather capture what average humans are aware of and comprehend as part of typical human experience. 0.1mm captures, for example, the size of a grain of flour. A human might detect a single photon or a microscopic flaw in a smooth surface, but they won't comprehend the size of that thing in any meaningful way without external tools and abstract knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

:nws: