Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is there a greatest hits of line graphs in particular? I want to use some for a class. I'm definitely including the original Florida stand your ground one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

Wait, what's Islington then?

A mistake

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dave Grool posted:

This is not consistent with my experience of the pac nw

I mean, there are absolutely tan girls here. they just go to tanning salons or are Latinx

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Paladinus posted:

If it helps, it's supposed to be percentage.

this does not help

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
what exactly is it about line graphs that encourages people to use them in the most inappropriate situations?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

jjack229 posted:

A scatter plot with each case as a single, separately colored dot and fatality rate and infection rate as the two axes would be interesting. Not sure if it would be all that useful.

I got you fam

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
listen, I can only add so many dimensions, so if you figure out how to graph something in 4+ dimensions let me know:

the bubble size represents incubation period (bigger bubble = longer incubation period)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Put a regression line on it

I couldn't find good data for the other factors (hospitalisation rate, etc.), but if someone else happens to have a source for it, I'll incorporate it in (perhaps as a colour gradient :getin:)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Chicken pox is highly leveraged and is driving the fit of your model. Use robust regression.

here I made it a polynomial

I mean, here's the data table if anyone wants to go nuts with it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/151k8recFTuAc_c6-C-I6DZkeKnTB6q8fFFKdqVcUpRs/edit?usp=sharing

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Put both axes on log scales imo

not imaginative enough. I did that AND I normalised the incubation periods and took the absolute value (it won't graph bubbles with negative values) so that the bubbles now represent how many standard deviations they are from the average incubation period of all of them, but you have no idea whether that's higher or lower.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

taqueso posted:

but i need the trend line for my report

*sigh* my work is never done

also if anyone wants an even worse one, I made a version with error bars that, as far as I can tell, are probably meaningless:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Karia posted:

Incubation is a color scale, obviously. But there's some important information that everyone else missed: size is based on when the disease emerged (as determined by a very brief wikipedia search.) Since I can't graph negative sizes to show BCE/CE, I decided the best way to do it is to normalize the size based on the beginning of recorded history, ~5000 years ago. I was too lazy to get it to write BCE, so enjoy the negative CE years values in the labels.

This very important information makes a startling fact obvious: we can see that the center part of the graph is occupied only by smallpox, which is a very old disease. Based on the fact that there are no large (i.e., new) dots in the center of the graph, it must be impossible for any new diseases to emerge that have both infection rate greater than 3 and fatality rate greater than 10%. The graph shows it, so it must be true. This is how science works!

EDIT:

More exciting science news! Not only did I fix the dates (it was rounding to the nearest 200 years because of an integer cast on the scaling), but when you add in a line chart in order of date, it shows a very clear straight-line path from MERS to COVID on the log-log chart. Much straighter than any historical period beforehand, at least when using this particular smoothing function. It's also very interesting that the rough log-Euclidean distance is about the same for every jump between diseases. That lets us predict what the next disease will be!

Based on this, I have a message for the CDC: in roughly 2022, my model expects a disease with an infection rate of roughly 20 and a fatality rate of >1%. Start preparing now!

taqueso posted:

thanks for the attempt but I needed a more accurate trendline

these are both excellent additions

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

taqueso posted:

holy poo poo groundfloor

:allears: watching a nobel prize in the making :allears:

I want a co-author credit on the journal article

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Can we have a specially-jpeg'd version of this information for posting to Facebook?

in general I'm all for enjoying bad graphs, but I feel like unless your Facebook friend list is very different than mine, the joke is going to be lost on people and it'll just end up being a bunch of misinformed people receiving what they think is legitimate information (because graphs are never wrong, and graphs with science-y words are DEFINITELY never wrong) and passing it on.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

they clearly just made the diagram based on the original quote before it was revised

"The fear of not being enough,
and the fear of being too much
intersect to form a non-empty set
which is where the true fear is"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

:allears:

from the lack of gradient in the legend to the lack of range in the legend, there's just so much to love here. it's rather legend-ary

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kangxi posted:

This is likely what is called a "dead cat bounce"

yeah, I do love posting stock exchange information as though that gain happened in a vacuum with nothing else around it. it's not like it fell like 6000 points right before that or anything.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

are these ever a good idea?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

That's actually a pretty important finding of cognitive psychology, called the Stroop Effect.

I used it when I taught psychology a couple years ago and watching kids try to read it out was marvelous

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

maybe I'm just having a moment but I do not understand anything about those x-axes

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Horizontal axis is 2016 Trump vote share, as a percentage for each media market. The seven different graphs each have their own axis from 20-80%. Vertical axis is sort of shared and represents percentage of searches pertaining to that sport compared to the total of all seven.

The biggest unintentional takeaway from their data is that the NFL is a juggernaut, being almost as popular as the other six activities combined and evenly popular across partisan lines.

okay yeah I was just having a brain = bad moment. that makes way more sense.

Mr.Radar posted:

Hmm, yes, when I think of camping I think of food that needs to stay frozen before preparation.

I take refrigerated/frozen foods camping all the time when I go. cooler filled with ice. but then I don't go like wilderness camping out in the middle of nowhere.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This could make sense if the 0 on the X axis is between the two Es in "several times a week"

E: actually read the rest of the viz and never mind wow

it's the chart that keeps on giving. for instance, it comes from "Pew research Teen's Relationship Study", which means all this data comes from one teen or Pew is hiring teens to do their research now

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
OTOH maybe we should be glad some of the fields aren't trying to interact with each other

https://twitter.com/yellingatwind/status/1301700119419432960

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

FreeKillB posted:

Very helpful, thank you.

voting participation is the new dick size.

"Yeah my participation is twice the size of an average one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

That fuckin' bridge in Whodunnit that causes you to drop the matches :argh:

how long is it in the game before you figure out that the matches are ruined and you can't do the thing you need them for? I don't think it's like Sierra King's Quest long with that loving rat you need in the first 20 minutes or whatever, but is it long enough that you'd probably have saved since then?