Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Powered Descent posted:

The world currently contains about a hundred thousand computes. :hmmyes:

Fake edit:

I’m the year 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

quote:

Correction: A map in a previous version of this story contained incorrect information.

But this doesn’t answer the “huh wuh how?” question that keeps going through my head.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

That spelling comes from the French colonial era, which I guess is the same thing for the Americas. Does this mean that the wizard schools are post-colonial ? Am I putting more thought into this than they did?

From what I can find Ouagadougou doesn't have any link with magic, which the other foreign language words have. It feels very :effort:.

Y’all are arguing about the etymology of a place named flippantly by someone who thought the only character of Asian descent should be named Cho Chang.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Found another one in the wild:

What in the everliving gently caress am I looking at on the y axes

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

common misconception. flag code states you can't sexual gratify yourself to the national flag. state flags are fair game, with the important caveat that it's treason to bust to any confederate or confederate-derived flag.

waiting for the tweets "its a heritage boner not a hate boner"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Is this what the South will rise again is talking about?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Serperoth posted:

I believe Greek has it but I don't remember off the top of my head if and when we ever learned it formally or just instinct. And I recall learning about order of stuff for German, but that was ZAO, Zeit, Art, Ort (time, means, place) for things like "I will go tomorrow by bus to work" or something, rather than adjectives themselves.

It's for sentence order, it would actually properly be "tomorrow I go by bus to work" or "Morgen fahre ich mit dem Bus zur Arbeit" with morgen being Zeit, mit dem Bus being Art, and zu der Arbeit for Platz. It's also for more than German, and even applies in English sometimes! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time%96manner%96place

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Where the gently caress is Staten Island?

You need to turn it over, the other testicle is staten.

Wish they’d done the PATH to include a bhole

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Aramoro posted:

See red, not orange, definitely red.

Gotta love that day-glo red vest

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

We need to remove these woke references to Justice Antonin Scalia.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Next you’re going to tell me they’re putting in a dedicated reload key and I can’t just fire at the ground to reload

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nenonen posted:

I don't think cat ownership goes up with income, actually. Which just goes to prove that they're terrible people.

I have been a cat lover my whole life but you are the first person to tell me that cats are terrible people. Makes sense but I think it misses the point of cats y’know?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I get what’s wrong, the week should start on Sunday.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Neco posted:

so you dislike how God did things or what?

I like my gods like I like your mother; Ra.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

What is a .8 in interpersonal trust?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ragnar34 posted:

It's also a misunderstanding of Sanderson's soft-hard magic continuum, which was never meant for any of this, but maybe I only think that because I refuse to read it thoroughly. Offhand it looks like another STEMlord is trying to use familiar frameworks for media criticism without ever wondering why no one's ever thought of that before, sort of like your grandparents watching your favorite comedy TV and laughing at the wrong parts, but I feel like that kind of person would know a silly idea once they saw it on a graph in front of them. Like whenever I finally manage to put an idea into words and realize it's really stupid.

I used to drink at the same poo poo bar as Sanderson in the mid aughts to 2011 or so, and I promise you it’s not being stretched further than he normally speaks of himself and literature as a whole.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Lol he's a mormon and treats characters drinking alcohol in the way an alien would describe it, he's never drunk booze in his life.

You’re right, I’m wrong. A different author was the person I’m thinking of. I don’t read fantasy, wasn’t sober at the time, and didn’t have a mutual respect for this guy so I always mix them up.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Patrick Rothfuss, and he wasn’t.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Golden Dragon posted:

Oh poo poo I haven't seen a Reader's Digest in ages. Guess I'm a commie.

If you aren’t well read you’re well red

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Gul-ughhhhh

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Platystemon posted:

This poll didn’t bother having Hebrews as an option because no one can defend that.

Except Jeopardy!

The text of Hebrews itself doesn’t even claim that Paul wrote it!

Paul died and they replaced him with a lookalike who wrote the books

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

(In Asia)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Dervish status: pre-whirling

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

TinTower posted:

In Sharknado 4, a sharknado, through a series of improbable occurrences, passes over an oil field, an electric transformer, a farm, and then finally a nuclear power plant to become, in order, a firenado, lightningnado, cownado, and finally, nukenado.

That’s not even bringing up the timenado in Sharknado 6.

But do they use the watch/warning system for all of these nados?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

You forgot hardtackos for the timenado

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Since when is it illegal to drink alcohol outside? :wtc:

Since To Kill A Mockinbird at least...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

While that person has a problem, I have a few years in the aughts that would just be black. Not gonna mock whoever was at least sticking to a tracking schedule cause it’s an active step they chose to make each day.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

sweek0 posted:

I'm most amazed/shocked by the red square straight after the black one. How do you have 7+ drinks a day after you were blackout drunk?

hair of the dog what bit ya

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

What happened to Two and a Half Men for such a sudden nosedive?

Lost a man

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

credburn posted:

I'm surprised at South Park's gradient -- I thought they fell out way earlier.

The moment a cable tv show stopped picking up new teenage viewers likely in no small part because it was on cable

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

My sibling just sent me this

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

Does he know that you can just refrain from flushing the toilet until it is full enough to be economical to flush? German hippies have been doing that for decades.

Edit: my sibling is what happens when someone very nerdy in their mid thirties loves forums but never came to SA

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

credburn posted:

Can I ask a dumb question?

Why the loving sink?

that is a foolish question

it's a pissing sink not a loving sink

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nenonen posted:

The spread of camels according to Wikipedia:

do not try to cross reference this search with reddit

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I’d hate it less if I couldn’t read it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

What does Mark have?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mister Olympus posted:

yeah speaking from the perspective of someone who teaches gen-ed classes, most college students these days start with business or marketing or something like that, and not because they're necessarily coming from an extremely wealthy background. it's just seen as the safe choice that won't offend any parents. hell, this is even MORE so for students from poorer families or are the first generation to go to college, because they're focused on making money to support the people in their lives.

whether or not these students survive in a business world that rewards nepotism and already having wads of money to throw around is a different story

ime having to work significantly with the 'business' parts of a corporation in the past, folks who have business+a real major are more able to hold their own in conversing with the folks who get there by nepotism, and making those folks comfortable offers job security.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Angepain posted:

Lemons Georg, who lives in a lemon tree,

Will Sasso

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I’d like to see the raw data here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Wasn’t expecting that provenance tbqh