Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I want to meet the guy who wants to gently caress 0-6 year olds and 15-16 year olds, but nothing in between. Wait, no I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I can't figure out what the colors mean at all. It looks like Starbucks, Spotify, and Xbox are all the same color. Legos, ESPN, and Costco are the same. I can't really figure out the connection here.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea I see it now, thanks. Doesn't make any sense though, might as well have grouped them by some metric, like news, entertainment, food, etc., but I guess that's why it's in this thread.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know if this should go in the maps or in the graphs & charts thread so I'll post it in both.

Georgia joins Florida as America's wang. Texas is the rear end in a top hat with hemorrhoids, making LA, MS, and AL the taint. Makes sense.

edit:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What the gently caress is going on in South Carolina, Montana, and Mississippi?!

Montana is definitely because they have that "no speed limit during the day" law. MS, and SC are probably because of really lovely roads, and it's full of drunk rednecks.

Bird in a Blender has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Apr 28, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That huge drop appears to mostly be because of lack of property wealth. Younger people either can't afford to buy property because prices are too high, or if they did buy property, values have not gone up. Older generations were able to buy cheaper property and then values have skyrocketed over the last couple of decades.

I also wonder if general health and lifespan increases has affected this a little bit. If our parents died earlier, then we would inherit their wealth sooner, inflating our net worth at an earlier age. Now, people are living decades longer some times, which means the younger generation has to wait longer for any inheritance (if there is an inheritance). Also, since the elderly are living longer, they are spending more of that money and passing less down to their kids.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Honors courses, perhaps? I know some places have ways of getting GPAs above 4.0

Could be this, my high school bumped accelerated courses up by 1, so an A in an accelerated course was a 5.0. Could also be incremental GPAs for +/-, so an A is 4.0, but they could give out A+ which is a 4.33, A- is 3.67. There's no standard nationwide for GPA scaling.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

goose willis posted:

Why the sharp drop in Alexa ranking

Amazon

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I’m the self‐reported data.

It's pretty easy to verify though, if the two people both report having sex with each other, you keep it, if they don't, you toss it. I'm sure there was some guy saying he banged 20 girls at school, but only one girl confirming it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

jjack229 posted:

I am very bothered by that fact that every legend is flipped left-right from the graph above it.

I think the only way it makes sense is to flip everything around.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Count Roland posted:

My friends called me crazy for stocking up on food in Feb.

Of course, they probably think I'm crazy again, now, because asking people to play santized frizbee since the parks opened up here. Based on infection rates / hospital bed availability / deaths / etc I think this poses a very small risk to myself or others. People disagree and have their own way of dealing with all this, which is fine and good. It does irk me a bit that the friends that call me crazy now are the same that called me crazy for thinking this was going to be a big deal in the first place.

It would be interesting to see some charts/graphs about Covid expectations. What % of people thought it was a big deal vs time, what level of precautions they're taking. Then broken down geographically and demographically.

This doesn't answer everything, but 538 has a pretty good chart on how people felt about COVID over time.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/coronavirus-polls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

March 8th was the day Very and Somewhat concerned overtook Not at All and Not Very. Even today though, you've got 30% of the population essentially unconcerned about it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

If this pandemic has been good for anything, it's showing how most people have zero understanding of statistics, or charts even.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ikanreed posted:

Charlotte's road network isn't impossible to figure out on the ground(it's an artery/capillaries kinda thing), but they do do that awful suburban hell thing of expecting you to make a right turn then a U turn instead of a left turn way more than anywhere else I've ever been.

I thought that was only done in Michigan.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Wouldn't it be enough to just flip the axes?

I think flip axes, but a line graph would make more sense than bar graph right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

The other day, I was driving at night and got mad that someone had their high-beams on in traffic. . . but when they pulled up next to me, I could see they were a huge pickup truck, and saw their headlights shining on the car in front of them, and I realized that they were actually low-beams, but the headlights themselves were almost as high up as the roof of my car, capable of blinding me even at low-beam.

Yea this is a real problem all the time now. I drive a Forester, so not a low sitting car, and I still get blinded by people’s low beams. Either it’s super tall cars, or people just don’t know how to aim their headlights.