Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ever thought about disarming a bomb? Or talking someone through disarming a bomb?

See this? It's a bomb. Have a closer look!

Do you have any idea how to disarm this loving thing? I don't. You're probably hosed.

BUT WAIT! Your friends(?) have the manual with complete disarmament instructions! They're on the phone right now!

Pictured: The bomb manual.

Yeah, you're probably still hosed.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes just came out on Steam, and I just got done playing with some friends. The whole premise of the game is that only one person can see the bomb, and everyone else has the manual on how to disarm it. Press the wrong button (or press the only button at the wrong time, or release the button at the wrong time, or hold it for too long, or) and you'll explode. Better hope you trust your friends!

Your friends have the manual, but it's written in the style of a 90's VCR manual. It's incredibly information dense and pretty obtuse at times, which I guess is the point of the whole excercise. Getting more people to read the problems can help, or it can just make everything spiral into a mess of confusion ending with the defuser evenly distributed all over the walls.

It's currently just under $15 as a launch bonus, and you should all pick it up. The manual is free to download too, if you just want to check it out.

Just remember: If you once figured out how to set the time on your VCR, you're probably still hosed.

http://www.keeptalkinggame.com/

Steam page:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/341800/?snr=1_4_4__123

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

This game is loving magical. When all else fails, cut all the wires.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I will buy this. Can we get a goon squad together on Skype for wire cutting hijinks?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Skype is perfect for this game - only one person has to see the screen, everyone else can be arguing over comms on what the best way to disarm each module is.

After playing a little bit more, I think my favorite module has to be the one with the Greek symbols on it. I don't know what any of them are called, so we end up calling out thinks like "hosed up six, number 3 I got lazy and stopped halfway through, I that look like a trident, and an N with a tail. You get that?"
And somehow it all works out.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This game is amazing.

Here's a group of 4 people crushing the hardest bomb in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BhHkvHcUfo

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Add me on Steam - same name as here - and let's defuse stuff.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 14, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Took this to board game night and played with 7. Had a...blast. :smuggo:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

Skype is perfect for this game - only one person has to see the screen, everyone else can be arguing over comms on what the best way to disarm each module is.

After playing a little bit more, I think my favorite module has to be the one with the Greek symbols on it. I don't know what any of them are called, so we end up calling out thinks like "hosed up six, number 3 I got lazy and stopped halfway through, I that look like a trident, and an N with a tail. You get that?"
And somehow it all works out.

Morse code is the worst one, there isn't enough of a gap between the letters to be able to read it out easily.

Keypads is hilarious, because you have "A with a dick" and stuff like that.

Who's on first is probably the one that takes longest to complete and you need one of your buddies on it the entire time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I ended up playing this last night and we stuck my friend's brother, who has terrible analysis paralysis, on the bomb. Ever tried to defuse a bomb when it takes ten seconds for the defuser to decide which module to work on next?

Who's on First ends up working best with two people, so one can look up the key word and the other can read the lists. It's even better if you get a memory module and a Who's on First and interleave the two. You can almost do both in real-time!
Favorite symbol module description from last night: "It's kind of like a hosed-up Euro symbol on its side with some stuff coming out of its butt", or "It's like a, what's that thing, uhh, a C with teeth and a bar in the middle." Yeah, the guy running IT for the local law firm and about a month away from trying the BAR forgot what an E was.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Two friends and I just played this for about two hours. If you want to hear a goony motherfucker shout and get angry at a bomb while his friends laugh at him, click this link: http://www.twitch.tv/epsilonplus/v/20674662 We switch off about halfway through the video, so you can see me fumbling with the manual too.

Morse Code is the loving worst. Who's On First is awful because so many of the words are either homophones or otherwise designed to be as fucky as possible. Our strategy seems to be to do Morse Code first, because the expert handling it can take a minute to look everything up while you do something easier, like a button.

Also, our favorite symbol is the Trogdor:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I've been watching this on Twitch and it's fun to see people go from calmly solving to yelling at each other as the timer goes down.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Epsilon Plus posted:

Two friends and I just played this for about two hours. If you want to hear a goony motherfucker shout and get angry at a bomb while his friends laugh at him, click this link: http://www.twitch.tv/epsilonplus/v/20674662 We switch off about halfway through the video, so you can see me fumbling with the manual too.

Morse Code is the loving worst. Who's On First is awful because so many of the words are either homophones or otherwise designed to be as fucky as possible. Our strategy seems to be to do Morse Code first, because the expert handling it can take a minute to look everything up while you do something easier, like a button.

Also, our favorite symbol is the Trogdor:

Hahaha, that's fantastic

I love playing this over skype.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Pladdicus posted:

Hahaha, that's fantastic

I love playing this over skype.

Same. I call that three the Devil Three.

Something I was thinking about is a couple of the items are position oriented, like the wire cutting and maze (To a lesser extent, Who's On First). Do they ever throw a wrench into that by rotating the module itself? I could see that and the maze loving with people, though the maze might be too much, but the wire module could add just enough pause. I guess the Number Memory module could too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Going to try this out tonight, they should of really put multiplayer in the game where everyone except the bomb guy has the manual on the screen and make it all random.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The morse module (called the Morris module, presumable after the dance because our defuser's a nerd) is my least favorite, tbh. We only ever got through it because he knew enough code to give us three or so letters, which we could use to decode the frequency. I shudder to think what would happen when you're trying to do that and work a needy module at the same time.

I think the only modules that would really work and change if rotated are the Who's on First and the Memory modules, with maybe the Complicated Wire module as well. The buttons don't actually have enough states to really matter when turned, and the point of the simple wire module is to be an easy module to start with.
Still, I'm sure one of the first mods out will be for rotating modules. Hopefully Steam Workshop support is on its way, as has been rumored.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

The morse module (called the Morris module, presumable after the dance because our defuser's a nerd) is my least favorite, tbh. We only ever got through it because he knew enough code to give us three or so letters, which we could use to decode the frequency. I shudder to think what would happen when you're trying to do that and work a needy module at the same time.

I think the only modules that would really work and change if rotated are the Who's on First and the Memory modules, with maybe the Complicated Wire module as well. The buttons don't actually have enough states to really matter when turned, and the point of the simple wire module is to be an easy module to start with.
Still, I'm sure one of the first mods out will be for rotating modules. Hopefully Steam Workshop support is on its way, as has been rumored.

Maze could be obscene if rotated. I think the rest would be okay.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Wow, I was playing this with 3 other guys and we got in a shouting match.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My friends internet was too lovely to play last night, I did some solo cheating with the manual to get a feel for the modules.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh snap for some reason I thought a VR headset was required for this. Definitely picking this up for party nights.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

bbcisdabomb posted:

We used this chart

Which helped a lot with getting through the morse code module. you just follow down the chart, left for dash, right for dot. Wherever you end up when the 3 unit pause comes up is the letter you write down.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kamikaze Raider posted:

We used this chart

Which helped a lot with getting through the morse code module. you just follow down the chart, left for dash, right for dot. Wherever you end up when the 3 unit pause comes up is the letter you write down.

Holy poo poo this is super handy!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I'm down for this. I have a DK2 as well and playing this in VR is hilarious.
Same steam name as nick here

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Holy poo poo this is super handy!

as a lurker reading this thread this post is unintentionally hilarious because that chart makes almost no sense at first glaze, so if it's super handy, it begs the question 'how bad is the ACTUAL DOCUMENTATION?'

I mean yes I get that it's intentionally bad documentation but the question is still hilarious.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Coolguye posted:

as a lurker reading this thread this post is unintentionally hilarious because that chart makes almost no sense at first glaze, so if it's super handy, it begs the question 'how bad is the ACTUAL DOCUMENTATION?'

I mean yes I get that it's intentionally bad documentation but the question is still hilarious.

I think that's more an indictment on Morse Code, because that's all that module is.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Coolguye posted:

Bad, but purposefully so. The complicated wire module is a Venn diagram with four circles: solid thick, solid thin, dotted, and dash-and-dot. You have to find the letter in the corresponding circle overlap and compare that to a chart that tells you to cut it or not. You can also get results like "Cut only if the bomb has a parallel port" for extra helpfulness.

The Morse module is really very simple, tbh.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Maybe it's something in my dumb idiot brain but I just can't parse morse code. So while the morse module is comparatively simple, even if all I need to do is accurately transcribe the patterns of dots and dashes I would not be able to do that.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
The Venn diagram one would be so much easier if the circles were just colored. Keep the star one black, make the LED one yellow and make the blue/red ones blue/red and it would take me half the time to do it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

President Ark posted:

Maybe it's something in my dumb idiot brain but I just can't parse morse code. So while the morse module is comparatively simple, even if all I need to do is accurately transcribe the patterns of dots and dashes I would not be able to do that.
It's the same as pig latin for me. I can talk and read it fluently, but see it live and my brain gets caught on the first letter.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

The Mash posted:

The Venn diagram one would be so much easier if the circles were just colored. Keep the star one black, make the LED one yellow and make the blue/red ones blue/red and it would take me half the time to do it.

That's probably exactly why they didn't do that. Still, nothing preventing you from printing that page out and going over those lines in the colors of your choice.

Which, by the way, I genuinely do recommend printing the manual out. It's only like 20 something pages and it makes it so much easier to swap between modules....especially if you're a huge nerd like me and make printed tabs and put it all in a notebook.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
They should put out like a "Crafty Bomb Maker" update.

Wires with electrical tape over them (bits in the middle reveal its real color), colors rubbed off on the Simon Says machine (The manual displays their colors and locations already so an update wouldn't be necessary), certain modules rotated, basically the sorts of things you might add for confusion, but nothing super crazy (rotating the Maze would be hell on earth)

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Add me on steam if you want to play, same name. Morse code isn't a big problem for me but that venn diagram makes my brain do sommersaults.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Stealthed Zombie posted:

They should put out like a "Crafty Bomb Maker" update.

Wires with electrical tape over them (bits in the middle reveal its real color), colors rubbed off on the Simon Says machine (The manual displays their colors and locations already so an update wouldn't be necessary), certain modules rotated, basically the sorts of things you might add for confusion, but nothing super crazy (rotating the Maze would be hell on earth)

I really, really hope this game is as successful as it's looking like, because the potential for expansions is virtually limitless.

New modules, modifications to existing modules, more details to keep track of, more distractions (though I know this is an impossibility, could you imagine a 5 Nights at Freddie's crossover?), different modes (Two simultaneous bombs, anyone?)

There's so much potential here for content expansion. I really hope the developers make all the money so this game keeps going. My friends and I have been having an absolute blast.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 15, 2015

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

Kamikaze Raider posted:

different modes (Two simultaneous bombs, anyone?)

I had not thought of this, and now that I am, there's a lot of fun conceits you could do with this one. Modules that are transmitting to each other, bombs that are linked (you have to know the serial code of one to do the thing with something on the other) etc. Two bombs at once with the current set would only be a thing if there were needy modules.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I want multiplayer that selects who gets the bomb and has the manual on the other peoples screens.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kamikaze Raider posted:

That's probably exactly why they didn't do that. Still, nothing preventing you from printing that page out and going over those lines in the colors of your choice.

Which, by the way, I genuinely do recommend printing the manual out. It's only like 20 something pages and it makes it so much easier to swap between modules....especially if you're a huge nerd like me and make printed tabs and put it all in a notebook.

Print the manual double-sided as well. That way you get "fun" like having the button and wire modules on two sides of the same page!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

More VR support once motion controllers launch could make for amazing expansions. Like having to pull out a pin that's magnetically charged and will go off if it touches the sides of the wall as it's pulled out (idea shamelessly stolen from James Bond)

e: Granted that's more of a needy module instead of something that requires co-op, but there should be a ton of similar ideas they could play with motion controllers

"Cut the second wire"
*picks up wire cutters*
"wait WAIT 2 red wires? You need to unscrew the entire module instead and cut the battery wire behind
*puts down wire cutters, picks up screwdriver*

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 16, 2015

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Holy poo poo you can hit snooze on the alarm clock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
So is there a goon group on Steam or Mumble or something to organise games?

• Locked thread