Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

grrarg posted:

Was the book this is based on part of a series or a one-off? It has been a long time since Noitamina had a good show. Hope it doesn't fall apart after a promising first episode like so many of their recent shows.

Ten book series. It's also listed 64th on a list of Japan's 100 best mystery novels, so I'm reasonably hopeful.

Allarion posted:

I just like the fact that they're constantly reading each others' tells and calling each other out on it.

Yeah it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

nielsm posted:

I'm wondering if the whole long illusion machine thing sequence they did in ep 10 is something the anime changed over the novel, since it may just as well just have been a phone call. Only putting the characters into a dream world gave an excuse for slightly more interesting visuals.

It's in the live action. I mean, I guess that show could have made it up too, but it didn't do much with it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Were there any Mystery rules that this series broke?

Let's check!

Knox's Decalogue posted:

01. The criminal must be mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to know.
02. All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.
03. Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable.
04. No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
05. No Chinaman must figure in the story.
06. No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.
07. The detective himself must not commit the crime.
08. The detective is bound to declare any clues which he may discover.
09. The "sidekick" of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal from the reader any thoughts which pass through his mind: his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.
10. Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.

Might fail at 4, depending on how charitable you want to be to the OS shenanigans, and the mother/daughter switcheroo might fall afoul of 10- does it count if the villain has to take lengths to conceal the deception, and the twist is signposted? Oh, and Moe's actually pretty smart, so technically it fails 9.

The intent of the rules, though, is that the mystery should be "fair"- a sufficiently attentive and thoughtful audience should be given enough information to figure out who did it and how, before the detective tells them. I think it's fair by the spirit if not necessarily the letter of the law.

• Locked thread