Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Screw the stuff. Save the dude.

So. When I first saw some snatches of this game, I was seriously unimpressed with the over-the-top cynicism and all-around unpleasantness, as I tend to be with that which tries far too hard to be "edgy", and what seems like a sophomoric attempt to hammer it in further by aping the styles of a charming (and weird) game about childhood. There's also the way it looks to use the premise of "no more females" to grab at a particular section of the internet audience which feeds on the perception of women as an incomprehensible "other". Like, "/b/: The RPG" would not be an inaccurate alt title.

That said, the negative impression came about before and knowing that "Earthbound-alike" is apparently a subgenre of indie games in and of itself. :v: (yeah Undertale does look kind of amazing) And also, well, not playing Lisa and not seeing the whole thing through to decide if it's got a worthwhile point to it. In any case, there's probably something genuinely positive to be said in dedication to creating a setting that looks this unpleasant.

So hell, let's see where this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

the quality of their battle themes.

This is what heaven sounds like.

e. v v v same

Mazed fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 11, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I sincerely appreciate the tiny deer he's riding.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

RickVoid posted:

It's... commentary on the Mens Rights movement in video game form.

Oh for gently caress's sake, noooo

A reasonable interpretation of Off, in extremely general terms to not totally spoil it, is that it's an elaborate metaphor relating to disease. Going by this interpretation, the game actually has sincere human meaning and isn't a commentary on lovely internet behavior.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

If you want forgiveness you must sacrifice.
/

He looks like he'd be the hero's cocky rival in an 80s martial arts flick.

That's actually sorta perfect, considering.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I like the cut of your jib, V-dog.

This is turning out pretty entertaining. If it keeps up I might actually be inclined to grab the game.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Blackheart posted:

Since we just heard it listen to the tune that plays when you fight Rando's mooks, it's good. A lot of music in this game plays at different speeds in-game though.

Just listen to this game and the joyful's music in general, it's fantastic.

That's what stood out to me for this update. Folks apparently weren't kidding when they said the music in this game was good. I kinda love everything about this track.

Also noted was the apparently recurring feature of being able to turn off the music in an area (but why would you want to) by various means. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

RickVoid posted:

I'm glad he got that out of his system before doing this one, because ugh.

Yyyyyeeeaah so that's where all the amateurish grimdark-for-grimdark's-sake edginess probably went.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Powerfrog posted:

Just repeating the fact that LISA is currently on steam sale for 70% off.

Woo! Caved and bought the bundle with the soundtrack and art, for as much as a fast food meal. A bargain for so much hilarious misery.

e. drat, these character bios show a surprising amount of depth. Probably spoilery, but highly recommended.

e.2: No, make that VERY spoilery. Still recommended.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 30, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

A solid observation. :v: Also not everyone watches trailers.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

thevoiceofdog posted:

I also wanted to get some feedback about the reading I did during the tower of patience. Was it funny? Would people want to hear more? Was it worth extending the tower of patience by like two minutes? Because there's a lot more where that came from if so.

I was reminded of that ridiculous story you read in Earthbound if you buy the dilapidated house by the ocean.

So yeah, it was good.

Straight up, you're doing a pretty excellent presentation of this game, combining the minimalist commentary with unintrusive non-sequiturs like that one and the occasional goof, like the intro and your guest speaker. It feels polished and doesn't keep the game from speaking for itself.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It's likely that the whole brothel sequence was intended to make the player even more uncomfortable than they already were, but considering the circumstances, that was one of the very least unpleasant things that has happened thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The bios for Buddy and Brad are excellent.

• Locked thread