Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah, so I don't know what the hell this woman is. But we're inviting her to come live at our headquarters. All the porrige she wants in exchange fr keeping an eye out on the place for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Hey, just as a commentary, it's extremely hard to read this on mobile. Can you please put the plain text in a spoiler at the bottom of something? I'm actually using the magnifying tool right now to figure out what's actually written.

Apologies. Should have thought of that before-hand! One moment.

... come in here unannounced, scaring me half to death, barging around with your moist feet, taking dirt with you everywhere! Do you know how long it takes me to clean these floors? Days! Days I tell you! But do you show any respect? No! Why I'd tie your shoelaces together if you had any shoes! The nerve of some people! And to think that...

"Hello dear, I was just telling your friend here about their awful manners! Wait, what? You can see me? And who are you calling a mouse? I'm a respectable lady you know! What are you supposed to be then, some sort of see-through talking cow? Haven't seen one of those before, and I've seen it all! Well everything you can see on a farm at least. A lot of dirt, I tell you what! Dirt, mud and rice and apples and acorns and pine-cones and crows, dreadful things, and cows, sometimes, but not around here any more. Been a while since I saw a cow, maybe they were always see-through and could talk? Maybe. I'm getting old you know, losing my memory and all that. But that's beside the point; would you at the state of you?! Bleeding on my poor, once-tidy floor! At least you took the time out of your busy schedule of rummaging around our house for firewood to put some food in the bowls! Why the boy's haven't had a good meal in ages! I can't thank you enough, and I won't either on account of your dirty shoes! Now what do you have to say for yourself?"

""Well, Mr. Mess! The boys would be Edelbert, Jomza, Frarelino, Klörf, Frimsky, Paiso.... and that's on my fathers side..." [you cut her off as she was naming only half-pronounceable names for what seemed like a solid minute.]

"See through? Only thing see-through here is you I'm afraid, well you and the windows, but those are made of glass and you seem more wishy-washy, without the washy part to be sure! Doesn't your mother wash your clothes? She should, since you don't seem to be able to at that! Now as for the house, why would it speak to you? I suppose it could if it wanted to, but it ain't never tried before as far back as I can remember. Maybe one of the boys have tried, they are always moving stuff around and getting dirt everywhere, wouldn't surprise me if they had tried something daft like talking to a house one night all hopped up on lingonberry juice! I daresay they'd talk your ear off if you let them, but since you were kind enough to feed them you'll probably find them outdoors again - they do so love our garden. Have you seen it? of course you have, you where out there for half an hour trampling all over our home with your muddy shoes!

A dwarf is one of them big-folk that ain't big, am I right? Of course I am. Seen everything before, I told you as much. Everything to see on a farm. Used to be folks like you up here, but less cow and smaller except still frightfully tall, you know how it is. Whole family, lovely people. Lots off them too! used to feed us every now and then! Knew how to take care of themselves, they did, but they were always a pleasure to work with all the same. The big small ones were a kindly couple, but their young-ones were precious, a sight for sore eyes even if they were messy eaters! You could always count on them to share a meal and what more could you want in times like these? Of the boys would play with them for hours on end! What a racket they made, couldn't get a wino of sleep, but we keep on keeping on, same as always.

What's a species? Spices? We used to have spices, or they did, but they would share it sometimes - putting cinnamon on our porridge once every year around Emperors Day, bless their hearts. Ain't had a good porridge here in forever.

Curses you say? Nasty stuff, curses. Now how did you get the ol' evil eye cast on ye, If I may be so bold as to ask? Wait, don't tell me - you dragged your muddy boots all over some poor old woman's floor, didn't you? Well serves you right then, though it's a shame about the cow. Cows are such gentle creatures for their size. And they always stay where you leave them, in my experience. I suppose I could have a look at it for you if you want, but my stomach is aching you see - I'm not sure I'd live through the ordeal. Oh what is a poor old woman to do?

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 25, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Apologies. Should have thought of that before-hand! One moment.

Thank you very much!

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Ask the nice house pixies if they'd like to laterally hire on as slimegineered pit headquarters pixies since thier house has been abandoned.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Give her some of our rations, best we've got, and a papaya. THEN make her an offer she's free to refuse.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Give her some of our rations, best we've got, and a papaya. THEN make her an offer she's free to refuse.

You left those with your body, sorry. The only thing you have on you right now is your Portable Star.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 8
A Field Day

A Dream
The Thirteenth of December, 347 A.R.
Part 8: Together forever, til' love do us part

Cornuto posted:

Ask the nice house pixies if they'd like to laterally hire on as slimegineered pit headquarters pixies since thier house has been abandoned.

Outrail posted:

Outrail posted:

Yeah, so I don't know what the hell this woman is. But we're inviting her to come live at our headquarters. All the porrige she wants in exchange fr keeping an eye out on the place for us.

𝑀𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓎𝑜𝓊? 𝒯𝒽𝒶𝓉'𝓈 𝒶 𝒷𝒾𝓉 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹, 𝒾𝓈𝓃'𝓉 𝒾𝓉 𝑀𝓇. 𝑀𝑒𝓈𝓈? 𝒜 𝒷𝒾𝓉 𝓅𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓊𝓂𝓅𝓉𝓊𝑜𝓊𝓈, 𝒶 𝓁𝑜𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝓈𝒾𝒹𝑒𝓇. 𝐼'𝓂 𝒶𝓃 𝑜𝓁𝒹 𝓁𝒶𝒹𝓎 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓀𝓃𝑜𝓌, 𝓉𝑜 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓈𝓊𝒹𝒹𝑒𝓃𝓁𝓎 𝓊𝓅𝓇𝑜𝑜𝓉 𝓂𝑒 𝓌𝒽𝑜𝓁𝑒 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒸𝒶𝓊𝓈𝑒 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒 𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒𝓇 𝓇𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒹 𝒾𝓃 𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝓈𝑒𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝓇𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒶𝒻𝒻𝒶𝒷𝓁𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶𝓇𝑜𝓊𝓃𝒹 𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈. 𝑀𝑜𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝑜 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒷𝒾𝑔 𝒸𝒾𝓉𝓎 𝑜𝓃 𝒶 𝓌𝒽𝒾𝓂 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒶 𝓁𝒶𝓇𝓀, 𝒶 𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓃𝑒𝓇𝓎 𝒶𝓉 𝓂𝓎 𝒶𝑔𝑒, 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝓂𝑒𝓃𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓉𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝓌𝑜𝓊𝓁𝒹 𝒹𝑜 𝓉𝑜 𝓂𝓎 𝓀𝓃𝑒𝑒𝓈 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓌𝑜𝓊𝓁𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒷𝑜𝓎𝓈 𝒹𝑜 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝓂𝑒? 𝒪𝒽 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎'𝒹 𝒸𝑜𝓂𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝑜𝒻 𝒸𝑜𝓊𝓇𝓈𝑒, 𝐼 𝒶𝒾𝓃'𝓉 𝒷𝒶𝓇𝓂𝓎 𝓎𝑒𝓉 𝓈𝑒𝑒 𝒶𝓈 𝐼 𝒶𝒾𝓃'𝓉!

𝒴𝑜𝓊 𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝒶 𝒽𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝒷𝒶𝓇𝑔𝒶𝒾𝓃 𝓈𝒾𝓇, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓌𝑒 𝓌𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝒹𝑜 𝒾𝓉 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝒶𝓃𝓎 𝓁𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓃 𝓉𝓌𝑜 𝒷𝑜𝓌𝓁𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓅𝑜𝓇𝓇𝒾𝒹𝑔𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝒸𝒾𝓃𝓃𝒶𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓎 𝐸𝓂𝓅𝑒𝓇𝑜𝓇'𝓈 𝒟𝒶𝓎 𝒾𝓃 𝓅𝑒𝓇𝓅𝑒𝓉𝓊𝒾𝓉𝓎 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒, 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓃𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒹𝓊𝒸𝓀 𝓇𝒾𝒸𝑒 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝒻𝒻 𝓃𝑒𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇, 𝓆𝓊𝒶𝓁𝒾𝓉𝓎 𝑜𝒶𝓉𝓂𝑒𝒶𝓁 𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝓊𝓈𝓉! 𝒜𝓃𝒹 𝓊𝓃𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝒸𝓉𝑒𝒹 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝓉𝑜 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝑜𝓊𝓃𝒹𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝒸𝑜𝓊𝓇𝓈𝑒, 𝒶𝓃𝒹𝒶𝒻𝑒𝓌𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈𝒷𝓊𝓉𝒽𝓉𝓉𝒶𝓈𝓃𝑒𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝒽𝑒𝓇𝓃𝑒𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒𝓃𝑜𝓉𝓉𝑜𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓇𝓎 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒶𝓃𝓎 𝓉𝒶𝒷𝓁𝑒 𝓈𝒸𝓇𝒶𝓅𝓈 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓇𝑒𝓃'𝓉 𝒻𝑒𝑒𝒹𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓅𝒾𝑔𝓈, 𝒾𝓃 𝓌𝓇𝒾𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔! 𝒞𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝒶𝓁 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝓌𝓇𝒾𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒾𝓉 𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓃, 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒹𝑜 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝓂𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇, 𝒶 𝓀𝑜𝒷𝑜𝓁𝒹? 𝐼 𝒶𝓁𝓇𝑒𝒶𝒹𝓎 𝓉𝑜𝓁𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝐼'𝓂 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓅𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝑜𝓁𝒹 𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓇𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓌𝑜𝓂𝒶𝓃 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉'𝓈 𝓈𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒾𝓉 𝒶𝓁𝓁 (𝑜𝓃 𝒶 𝒻𝒶𝓇𝓂) - 𝒶𝓃 𝒾 𝓌𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝒷𝑒 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒𝓃 𝒶𝒹𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉𝒶𝑔𝑒 𝑜𝒻. 𝐵𝑜𝓎𝓈?! 𝐵𝑜𝓎𝓈! 𝐹𝑒𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝑜𝓁' 𝑀𝑜𝓈𝓈𝒾𝑒𝓈 𝓌𝓇𝒾𝓉𝒾𝓃' 𝓅𝒶𝓅𝑒𝓇 𝒶𝓃 𝓆𝓊𝒾𝓁𝓁! 𝒜𝓃𝒹 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒 𝓉𝑒𝒶! 𝒲𝑒 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝑔𝓊𝑒𝓈𝓉𝓈!

~

There is a rush of activity as the noise from the other room increases tenfold, with heavily muffled and distorted sounds of furniture being moved around. The purple orb begins shifting in response but it is far too slow to react as a tide of curious figures rush into the kitchen carrying all manner of what's its, together with a kettle and several doll sized cups. As the purple orb finally floats out of the room you find your spectral form hovering over a makeshift Tea Party, with a fresh cup pushed into your one good hand, the woman's face buried in paperwork opposite. Two dozen creatures engage in antics around you though a dozen others have already left through various means, most involving climbing, jumping or skipping over or into the many scattered paraphernalia around the room. Though many appear alike, there is no obvious uniformity of appearance and some vary wildly in shape, patterns and colouration (however muted) from one another.

1: With a final official imperial stamp,(where did they get that?) the contract is sealed from your counterparts side, and the paperwork is shifted over to you.

A: Sign the contract
B: Refuse the contract
C: Something Else? Write-in.

---

* Emperor's Day is coming up in about two weeks time - the birthday of the first Emperor, Rim, it functions akin to a more religious new years eve where the many deeds of the old emperor are vaunted and re-told, and The Old Game** traditionally commences across the world.
A bowl of high quality oatmeal porridge has essentially no cost attributed to it. The cinnamon might be hard to come by, if Whale wasn't one of the biggest cities in the world, situated on the biggest trade-route in the world, with it's own harbour. At the amounts required for the deal, it will not put a dent in your finances. Not even a little.

** The Old Game is essentially full-contact, unlimited player, street, team-based anything-ball. The goal is to get the ball somewhere important before the other team does. The teams are nebulous at best. A great time is had by all.***

*** Excepting the people who die or sustain massive injuries. Unless they do so whilst scoring.

---

Move in with you? That's a bit forward, isn't it Mr. Mess? A bit presumptuous, a lot to consider. I'm an old lady you know, to just suddenly uproot me whole life just cause some stranger rolled in all see through and affable going around noticing things. Moving to the big city on a whim and a lark, a change of scenery at my age, not to mention what the stress would do to my knees and what would the boys do without me? Oh they'd come with of course, I ain't barmy yet see as I ain't!

You drive a hard bargain sir, but we won't do it for any less than two bowls of porridge with cinnamon every Emperor's Day in perpetuity like, and none of that duck rice stuff neither, quality oatmeal or bust! And unrestricted access to the grounds of course, andafewotherthingsbuthttasneitherherneortherenottoworry and any table scraps what you aren't feeding the pigs, in writing! Can't make a deal without writing it down, what do you take me for, a kobold? I already told you I'm just a poor old starving woman what's seen it all (on a farm) - an i won't be taken advantage of. Boys?! Boys! Fetch ol' Mossies writin' paper an quill! And some tea! We have guests!

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

C: Read the contract before signing. It's probably fine, but pretty sure reading contracts falls under our non-monster hunting skill portfolio.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Read the contract and pay close attention to the technical definition of 'andafewotherthingsbuthttasneitherherneortherenottoworry'.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
look over the fine print

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ensure that we add in a provision that we get to add furnishings etc from the farmhouse not covered by monster hunter salvage rights to our new base. Get that imperial stamp on this!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Arcanuse posted:

C: Read the contract before signing. It's probably fine, but pretty sure reading contracts falls under our non-monster hunting skill portfolio.

Indeed you do! It's one of your specialities from working at the old export/import centre back at the mountainhome of Tukatt Hold! Amazing how useful that turned out to be?

You put on your metaphorical reading glasses and pour over the contract. It seems to follow along with what 'Mrs. Mossie' relayed to you, above.

Outrail posted:

Read the contract and pay close attention to the technical definition of 'andafewotherthingsbuthttasneitherherneortherenottoworry'.

You narrow your eyes and read on. From what you can tell, the stipulations are as follows:

* Two (2) bowls of high-quality oatmeal porridge, with cinnamon, once per Emperors Day, to be set-aside for consumption by Mrs. Mossie and her extended family, further defined as [a long series of names], with an addendum to see the attached paperwork. You do. They seem to be poorly-made hand-drawn replicas of Imperial Birth Certificates. They are only semi-readable though and of questionable legality, but the intent is clearly there.
* Unrestricted access to the company grounds
* Unrestricted access to 'table scraps' further defined as culturally acceptable, edible organic matter that via means of serving it in a serving-for-consumption-context is discarded. Discarded being further defined as either of on it's own accord falling, or through act of carelessness dropping to, or through intent lowered to floor level from within the means of serving it, eg; plates, ceramics, trays etc.
* The prohibition of -translation error- -unpronounceable missingno- -syntax out of bounds-
* That the contract shall be null and void should any of the above clauses be intentionally withdrawn

You scratch your head and point out the unintelligible part to Mrs. Mossie. She looks at you sideways, as if you've suddenly grown a third head or something equally unlikely, then says something you cannot understand. When you ask her to clarify, she repeats her nonsensical statement. When you prompt her again she seems to become impatient and calls for one of her fellows, instructing it (him?) to read the phrase for you slowly and extra loudly, as if you were a particularly dumb child. It does so. It remains unclear.

After a bit of back and forth it is made clear to both of you that whatever the clause is, you are unable to comprehend it. Mrs. Mossie assures you it is 'of no worry' though and 'not something you'd be likely to do'. As best as you can tell it deals with a promise not to ___ or under your name, on company grounds allow ___ as it would ____ to the detriment?? of Mrs. Mossie and her Family.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Hm.
Propose the following amendment:

* The prohibition of -translation error- -unpronounceable missingno- -syntax out of bounds-
--As one party [Defined hereafter as party A, ourselves] is unable to fully understand this term, the other party [Mrs. Mossie and her extended family] will inform party A to the best of their abilities if the prohibition is at risk of being broken.

E: Given this is, essentially, requiring Mrs. Mossie and her extended family to act in good faith, it may be worth noting that this involves a healthy amount of trust. While I do not see Mrs. Mossie abusing this terribly, it remains noteworthy all the same.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 27, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, if we have a clause that we will be informed when the unintelligible part comes into play then we can decide if we want to break the contract or not at that point.

Also we need a clause stating that she and her giant family won't impede our operations or make our lives a living hell with her bullshit.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Yeah, if we have a clause that we will be informed when the unintelligible part comes into play then we can decide if we want to break the contract or not at that point.

Also we need a clause stating that she and her giant family won't impede our operations or make our lives a living hell with her bullshit.

Your the one that wanted her to move in!

Arcanuse posted:

Hm.
Propose the following amendment:

--As one party [Defined hereafter as party A, ourselves] is unable to fully understand this term, the other party [Mrs. Mossie and her extended family] will inform party A to the best of their abilities if the prohibition is at risk of being broken.

E: Given this is, essentially, requiring Mrs. Mossie and her extended family to act in good faith, it may be worth noting that this involves a healthy amount of trust. While I do not see Mrs. Mossie abusing this terribly, it remains noteworthy all the same.

This is agreeable.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

"What kind of circumstances might increase the likelihood of the prohibition being broken?"

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

HBar posted:

"What kind of circumstances might increase the likelihood of the prohibition being broken?"

No amount of finagling seems to get you any closer to the answer than what has already been stated. It regards ____ on your part, or allowing _____ to the detriment of Mrs. Mossie and her family.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
As long as she will tell us when this clause becomes a going concern, and that we can break the contact if we decide this unknowable clause will cause intolerable impact to us, staff and/or our operations, I think it's okay.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

anybody else get the feeling these might be some type of household deities/small gods?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

anybody else get the feeling these might be some type of household deities/small gods?

Aye. Not entirely sure what kind, but I suspect this is the case.

A

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
What are the pixies obligations under the contract

Also just cross out the clause we can't understand. She said we can't do it and it won't be up so it shouldn't be important to her. Call her bluff.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Cornuto posted:

What are the pixies obligations under the contract

To live on the ISTEC plot in Whale instead of here.
It's pretty open ended, but it's what you wanted.

There probably won't be any objection if you take some stuff with you from here, either. After all, they wouldn't be living here any more.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The contract may be cancelled by either party with two weeks advance notice. During this period neither side will intentionally act in a way to unreasonably take advantage of the impending end of the contract, to the detriment of the other party. In colloquial terms, neither party may "be a dick about it" in either deed or word.

If a clause of this contract is in danger of violation, or has been violated, and both parties appear to be acting in good faith, the aggrieved party shall attempt to remedy this potential or actual violation by informing the other party of the problem, and ensuring that the nature of this violation is understood. A good faith effort to remedy the violation shall be grounds for satisfaction rather than violation of the relevant part or parts.

Mrs. Mossie and extended family will make reasonable efforts to aid <whatever the heck our company is called now> when necessary.

Idk I'm not a lawyer, amend as appropriate.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 28, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cornuto posted:

Also just cross out the clause we can't understand. She said we can't do it and it won't be up so it shouldn't be important to her. Call her bluff.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Cornuto posted:

This is not agreeable. When pushed, she attempts to explain why, though either her legalese is limited, or her vocabulary, or it is simply a difficult topic for her. Fortunately for you, you are great at it.
Her complaint, in essence, is that if it isn't explicitly written into the contract, she would be forced to stay even if you violated the terms.

--

Volmarias posted:

The contract may be cancelled by either party with two weeks advance notice. During this period neither side will intentionally act in a way to unreasonably take advantage of the impending end of the contract, to the detriment of the other party. In colloquial terms, neither party may "be a dick about it" in either deed or word.

If a clause of this contract is in danger of violation, or has been violated, and both parties appear to be acting in good faith, the aggrieved party shall attempt to remedy this potential or actual violation by informing the other party of the problem, and ensuring that the nature of this violation is understood. A good faith effort to remedy the violation shall be grounds for satisfaction rather than violation of the relevant part or parts.

The first part is agreeable. The second part is not, because 'has been violated' is not a condition that is agreeable. She will accept the compromise of 'is in danger of being violated' - she will do her best to inform you if this is the case, though you don't seem to be able to understand what 'it' is so she fears it may be hard for her to do? But she is willing to try. The same applies to 'ensuring that the nature of the violation is understood'. You clearly don't, and cant, so she cant make such promises.

You get the sense that putting everything down in writing is very important to her. That the words are be binding in more than the legal sense.

Volmarias posted:

Mrs. Mossie and extended family will make reasonable efforts to aid <whatever the heck our company is called now> when necessary.

Mrs. Mossie gives you a look that suggests you were dropped on the head as a child, for even suggesting that "not performing the duties" was a thing that could happen. None the less she agrees to put it in writing.

---

Contract as it stands (unimportant bits edited out)

* Two (2) bowls of high-quality oatmeal porridge, with cinnamon, once per Emperors Day, to be set-aside for consumption by Mrs. Mossie and her extended family, further defined as [a long series of names], with an addendum to see the attached paperwork.
* Unrestricted access to 'table scraps' further defined as culturally acceptable, edible organic matter that via means of serving it in a serving-for-consumption-context is discarded. Discarded being further defined as either of on it's own accord falling, or through act of carelessness dropping to, or through intent lowered to floor level from within the means of serving it, eg; plates, ceramics, trays etc.
* - As one party [ISTEC] is unable to fully understand the above clause, the other party [Mrs. Mossie and her extended family] will inform [ISTEC] to the best of their abilities if the prohibition is at risk of being broken.
* The contract may be cancelled by either party with two weeks advance notice. During this period neither side will intentionally act in a way to unreasonably take advantage of the impending end of the contract, to the detriment of the other party.
* In exchange for the above, the Duties shall be performed by [Mrs. Mossie and her extended family] on [ISTEC]s behalf in perpetuity.
* That the contract shall be null and void should any of the above clauses be intentionally withdrawn or violated.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Forgive me- I am part cow remember- but what were The Duties are again?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

alpaca diseases posted:

Forgive me- I am part cow remember- but what were The Duties are again?

𝒲𝒶𝓈 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝓂𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝒹𝓇𝑜𝓅𝓅𝑒𝒹 𝑜𝓃 𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝒽𝑒𝒶𝒹 𝒶𝓈 𝒶 𝒸𝒽𝒾𝓁𝒹 𝒶𝓈 𝓌𝑒𝓁𝓁? 𝐼𝓂𝒶𝑔𝒾𝓃𝑒, 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓀𝓃𝑜𝓌𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝓊𝓉𝒾𝑒𝓈! 𝒲𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒽𝒶𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓁𝒹 𝒸𝑜𝓂𝑒 𝓉𝑜, 𝓌𝒽𝑒𝓃 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝒶 𝒸𝑜𝓌 𝓀𝓃𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓌𝑒 𝒹𝑜? 𝒪𝒽 𝒹𝑒𝒶𝓇𝒾𝑒 𝓂𝑒, 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒶𝓃 𝑜𝓁𝒹 𝓁𝒶𝒹𝓎 𝓉𝑜 𝒹𝑜? 𝒱𝑒𝓇𝓎 𝓌𝑒𝓁𝓁... 𝐸𝒹𝑒𝓁𝒷𝑒𝓇𝓉, 𝒷𝓇𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓂𝑒 𝒶 𝒹𝑜𝓏𝑒𝓃 𝑒𝓍𝓉𝓇𝒶 𝓅𝒾𝑒𝒸𝑒𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓅𝒶𝓇𝒸𝒽𝓂𝑒𝓃𝓉...

After what feels like half an hour of scribbling (the orange orb has also left at this point, and come back, and then left again) you are presented with a thick collection of parchments detailing wildly nonsensical activities such as can be, will be or might be performed by Mrs. Mossie and her extended family. At a cursory glance they include things such as animal and insect husbandry, on-site-security, cleaning, play and what you can best describe as 'inscrutable rituals' - all of these activities are subject to countless exceptions and conditions that you quiet honestly cannot make heads nor tails off, though the overall impression is that 'the duties' are generally beneficial in nature, if peculiar.

There are references to certain times of day and year, with annotations to correct them depending on yet another sheet of annotations with extra footnotes - even looking at these are exhausting, much less reading them - you are reasonably sure they pertain to life on a farm in some way, but you cannot be certain as you lived inside of a mountain for most of your life.

Was your mother dropped on her head as a child as well? Imagine, not knowing the duties! What has the world come to, when not even a cow knows what we do? Oh dearie me, what is an old lady to do? Very well... Edelbert, bring me a dozen extra pieces of parchment...

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
A

This is a great boon, or will be. Hopefully. I wonder how they will interact with the owlbearcubs.

Also, can we ask them what happened to the family living here? Did they see them go anywhere?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What the hell, it's not like our lives could make any less sense. Sign the document.

Besides, we have so many conflicting souls, curses and obligations adding more might Mr Burns us into some kind of curse immunity.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

A

Is there a section or whatever for ‘exceptional services’?

Like, significant duties (when compared to their usual ones) they can do in exchange for extra bowls of porridge, more exotic toppings etc?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

haunted bear tale posted:

Also, can we ask them what happened to the family living here? Did they see them go anywhere?

𝒢𝑜? 𝒲𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝒹𝒾𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎 𝑔𝑜? 𝒲𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝒹𝑜 𝓅𝑒𝑜𝓅𝓁𝑒 𝑔𝑜, 𝐼 𝓌𝑜𝓃𝒹𝑒𝓇? 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝑜𝓅𝓁𝑒 𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝓌𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝓈𝑜 𝒷𝓊𝓈𝓎, 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶𝓇𝑜𝓊𝓃𝒹, 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝓅𝓁𝒶𝓎𝒾𝓃𝑔, 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔, 𝑔𝓇𝑜𝓌𝒾𝓃𝑔. 𝒢𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒾𝓃 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝑜𝓊𝓉. 𝒩𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝒶 𝒹𝓊𝓁𝓁 𝓂𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓃𝓉, 𝓉𝑜𝑜 𝓂𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝓉𝑜 𝒹𝑜. 𝑀𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈, 𝓈𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝒸𝓁𝓊𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇. 𝒩𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓅𝓊𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓇𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉 𝓅𝓁𝒶𝒸𝑒. 𝒩𝒾𝒸𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽, 𝑜𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓌𝒽𝑜𝓁𝑒. 𝒜𝓉 𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓃𝑔 𝑜𝓃𝑒𝓈, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑒𝓁𝒹𝑒𝓇𝓈 𝓌𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝓀𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝑒𝓃𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽 𝓉𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒾𝒸𝑒 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈. 𝐵𝓊𝓉 𝓊𝓈𝓊𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓎? 𝒫𝓇𝑒𝑜𝒸𝒸𝓊𝓅𝒾𝑒𝒹, 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉'𝓈 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎 𝓌𝑒𝓇𝑒. 𝒩𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝑜𝑜𝓀 𝒶 𝓂𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓈 𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓉, 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎 𝒹𝒾𝒹. 𝒯𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝓌𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝓂𝒶𝓃𝓎 𝒶𝓉 𝒻𝒾𝓇𝓈𝓉, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎 𝒹𝒾𝓈𝒶𝓅𝓅𝑒𝒶𝓇𝑒𝒹, 𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝒷𝓎 𝑜𝓃𝑒. 𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈 𝓉𝓌𝑜 𝒷𝓎 𝓉𝓌𝑜. 𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒 𝒸𝒶𝓂𝑒 𝒷𝒶𝒸𝓀, 𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝓇𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽𝓉 𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝓈 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓂, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓊𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓎 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎 𝓁𝑒𝒻𝓉 𝓉𝑜𝑜. 𝐹𝒾𝓇𝓈𝓉 𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇, 𝒻𝒾𝓇𝓈𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑜𝓁𝒹 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓃𝑔. 𝒯𝑜𝑜 𝒻𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝓎 𝑔𝑜𝑜𝒹𝒷𝓎𝑒, 𝓉𝑜𝑜 𝓈𝓁𝑜𝓌 𝓉𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒾𝒸𝑒. 𝐵𝑒𝒻𝑜𝓇𝑒 𝓌𝑒 𝓀𝓃𝑒𝓌 𝒾𝓉, 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝓃𝑜 𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝓁𝑒𝒻𝓉. 𝒩𝑜𝓌, 𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒; 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒶 𝒸𝑜𝓌, 𝑜𝓇 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝓁𝑒𝒻𝓉 𝑜𝒻 𝑜𝓃𝑒. 𝒩𝑒𝓌 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓀, 𝒾𝒻 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓈𝒾𝑔𝓃. 𝒪𝓁𝒹 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝓀 𝒾𝒻 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉. 𝒮𝓉𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓁𝑜𝓉𝓈 𝓉𝑜 𝒸𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓃, 𝓁𝑜𝓉𝓈 𝓉𝑜 𝒹𝑜. 𝐸𝓈𝓅𝑒𝒸𝒾𝒶𝓁𝓁𝓎 𝓈𝒾𝓃𝒸𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒻𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓃𝒹𝓈 𝓀𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝑜𝓃 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝒻𝒻 𝒶𝓇𝑜𝓊𝓃𝒹, 𝑔𝑒𝓉𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒾𝓉 𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝒹𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓌𝓇𝑜𝓃𝑔! 𝐼𝓉'𝓈 𝑒𝓃𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽 𝓉𝑜 𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓊𝓅 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓌𝒶𝓁𝓁, 𝑜𝓇 𝓌𝑜𝓊𝓁𝒹 𝒷𝑒 𝒾𝒻 𝒾 𝓌𝒶𝓈𝓃'𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓇𝓋𝒾𝓃' 𝑜𝓃 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑜𝓊𝓃𝓉 𝑜𝒻 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝑒𝒶𝓉𝑒𝓃 - 𝓌𝒽𝒾𝒸𝒽 𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝒸𝑜𝓂𝓂𝑒𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓉𝓇𝓎𝒾𝓃' 𝓃𝑒𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇.

alpaca diseases posted:

Is there a section or whatever for "exceptional services"?
Like, significant duties (when compared to their usual ones) they can do in exchange for extra bowls of porridge, more exotic toppings etc?

No. 'The Duties' are pretty comprehensive as is, you get the feeling most, if not all, of their time is already spoken for.

Go? Where did they go? Where do people go, I wonder? The people here were always so busy, always moving around, always playing, working, growing. Going in and out. Never a dull moment, too much to do. Making a mess of things, such clutter. Never put things in the right place. Nice though, on the whole. At least the young ones, but even the elders were kind enough to notice sometimes. But usually? Preoccupied, that's what they were. Never took a moments rest, they did. There were many at first, but they disappeared, one by one. Sometimes two by two. Some came back, or brought others with them, but eventually even they left too. First one and then the other, first the old and then the young. Too fast to say goodbye, too slow to notice. Before we knew it, there was no one left. Now, here; there is a cow, or what is left of one. New work, if you sign. Old work if you don't. Still lots to clean, lots to do. Especially since your friends keep on moving stuff around, getting it all dirty and wrong! It's enough to drive you up the wall, or would be if i wasn't starvin' on account of not having eaten - which I don't recommend you tryin' neither.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I wonder if they have any combat utility

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Sign the contract :unsmigghh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If this is true, it sounds like no one owns the house any more then.

Begin the process of annexation when we get back to town

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

If we move our base here, we'd be in the middle of nowhere. Plus we're monster hunters, not farmers. Rescue the little gods from this place, tell the authories that it's safe and empty, and leave it for somebody else to claim, somebody who knows how to farm.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Or we could loot it for a thing valuable, claim the land and become scumbag slumlords/tennent farm owners.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

vorebane posted:

Sign the contract :unsmigghh:
Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 8
A Field Day

A Dream
The Thirteenth of December, 347 A.R.
Part 9: In sickness and in health

You discuss back and forth for a while longer, finally agreeing on the following paragraphs, wrapped in layers of legalese.

* Two (2) bowls of high-quality oatmeal porridge, with cinnamon, once per Emperors Day, to be set-aside for consumption by Mrs. Mossie and her extended family, further defined in supplement #1
* - As one party [ISTEC] is unable to fully understand the above clause, the other party [Mrs. Mossie and her extended family] will inform [ISTEC] to the best of their abilities if the prohibition is at risk of being broken.
* The contract may be cancelled by either party with two weeks advance notice. During this period neither side will intentionally act in a way to unreasonably take advantage of the impending end of the contract, to the detriment of the other party.
* In exchange for the above, the Duties shall be performed by [Mrs. Mossie and her extended family] on [ISTEC]s behalf in perpetuity.
* - The Duties are further defined, in exacting detail, in supplement #2.
* That the contract shall be null and void should any of the above clauses be intentionally withdrawn or violated.

Mrs. Mossie calls her troupe together to deliver the final seals and signatures, a strange dance as dozens of varied miniature peoples - no two really alike, though snouts are common - gather in place around the table from every-which-where, filling the signatory space with an equal variety of signatures of mostly pronounceable and old-fashioned names. You silently marvel at their peculiar mannerisms and speed, trying to parse any themes to their behaviour or further clues to explain their natures, to little avail.

Finished, they present the document to you and you take it, read it over one more time for good measure, and then quill your own signature in place.
There is a moments quiet as the ink dries and both groups look expectantly at one another, with you becoming increasingly unsure with how to proceed. Indeed, you have never before struck a deal in the cupcake-space and briefly consider what legal precedent this could even have considering what the fine folks at the Forest Investigation Bureau have said, though your train of thought is derailed as - all of a sudden - all the myriad gathered creatures turn to face you directly and speak in unison. "𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝖈𝖔𝖓𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖈𝖙 𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖊𝖆𝖑𝖊𝖉."

The contract begins fraying at the edges of the ink, burning away from the inside-out with sepia, smokeless flame. Within seconds, it is gone, though you feel the minutest shiver transpose itself onto your silver cord, like a chill down your spine but stretched out and far away, an echo. With that, the creatures begin to lose all coherence, seemingly melting into each-other even whilst giving you sincere looks of confidence, mirth and eagerness - before even that is lost in a shapeless mass of clay that slowly seeps into the floor.

---

You float in The Kitchen, with a Crimson orb as your only companion - in stunned silence, contemplating what just occurred.
You are tugged and pulled in many directions, though the strongest link you to your body and to the crimson sphere. Two nearly invisible threads guide you out of the kitchen to presences nearby. Several others, even fainter, disappear out of the walls.
You are still missing a hand. You here a quiet 'moo' from somewhere outside. As always, your body feels only somewhat your own. You have lost rather a lot of [crumbs] and you feel as if you are here on limited time, though you still have reserves enough for exploration or [shenanigans].

What do?

Inspect the Crimson Orb.
Explore the house.
Follow the tug that leads to the Orange orb, then inspect it.
Follow the tug that leads to the Purple orb, then inspect it.
[Pull] on a cord. There are many, most you have no idea where they lead. Which cord do you pull, and why?
Pull on your silver cord. This will take you [home]. - Then go back to Whale.
Pull on your silver cord. This will take you [home]. - Then continue exploring the house.
Pull on your silver cord. This will take you [home]. - Then continue to one of the other areas suspected of harbour haybanes or monsters. These include the "Decrepit Barn" the "Desolate Barn" the "Idyllic Barn" " and the Irregular Irrigation". See a previous update for extended info on these candidates'
Something Else? Write-in.