Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Nyaa posted:

So the most devoted follower of Toil is a sex fiend.

Fiend has nothing to do with it.

Its just another form of production; if the Empire requires more, then the people will produce.

In this case, its producing more babies as opposed to steel or wheat.

*****Edit*****

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

State mandated births overseen by Toil ARE a thing. See this previous Slice of life for more information.

Thanks; I don't have the best recall at times. There's a lot of history here and much lore to remember. (smile)

CourValant fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Nyaa posted:

So the most devoted follower of Toil is a sex worker.

FTFY

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think the most devoted would be the priest that's chained to an altar and does paperwork 24/7 and will continue to do so until they die of exhaustion in a few decades.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
God do I love your mythology

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Skellybones posted:

I think the most devoted would be the priest that's chained to an altar and does paperwork 24/7 and will continue to do so until they die of exhaustion in a few decades.

And in an empire whose central bureaucracy operates through immortal vampire functionaries, that priest is a lousy quitter.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The God of Argiculture is dead. As seen previously on another Slice of Life.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned him. I thought it very telling Rim didn't put any effort behind recruiting Mårgått beyond the demand to yield.

CourValant posted:

Fiend has nothing to do with it.

Its just another form of production; if the Empire requires more, then the people will produce.

In this case, its producing more babies as opposed to steel or wheat.

Seize the means of production. :rimshot:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

So Great Mårgått's Divinity was Shattered, and all his works came at once undone. Forever barred his garden was, and barred from Heaven too his consort.

uh oh Mårväl Merryfoot (the consort) did the Forest uh oh uh ohhhh

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

That was great.

:hist101: Sup Toil?

:kratos: DO WHAT I SAY OR DIE!

:hist101: I wanna build an empire and get everyone off their asses forever. You in?

:kratos: FUCKIN' AY. LET'S DO IT.

I want to see what's up with the Forest though. We should set up Nazom Stegeth as a FOOF launcher and start bombarding the forest!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Blasphemaster posted:

I want to see what's up with the Forest though.
:black101: Hey Forest, can we cut you down?

:greencube: gently caress off!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

super sweet best pal posted:

Seize the means of production. :rimshot:
Yes, or as the President likes to put it, Grab Them By The :minnie:

I just made myself sad.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yeah, that's why I mentioned him. I thought it very telling Rim didn't put any effort behind recruiting Mårgått beyond the demand to yield.

It seems like they were the god of libertarian hobbits so maybe it worked out for the best.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blasphemaster posted:

We should set up Nazom Stegeth as a FOOF launcher and start bombarding everything!

Yesssssss

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
That Which Runs At The First Sign Of Danger
Month 3, Week 4, Day 3
Early morning

You take of after the troll without wasting another moment, leaving the curious mushrooms in the strange grove behind. Last you saw, It was heading further into the realm of mushrooms, where mushrooms grow smaller albeit even more numerous.
Its a good thing you left when you did, for you quickly notice that the Troll is no longer leaving footprints in the soil. Or rather, it is, but as soon as xir foot leaves the ground the soil springs right back into its original shape, like you have seen sponges do in the past.
Combined with the mist that is slowly getting thicker, tracking by normal means would be almost impossible. As would be finding your way back, but that is a worry for later.

As you run, you also take note that the whole of the ground beneath your feet is covered in thin mass of interconnecting blueish greenish tendrils, whom all seem to congregate at the larger mushrooms in the area, thick stems of blue dotting the landscape like trees.
Frustrated and already tiring from the running, you yell out "WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, FERVENT ATHEISM IS REALLY NO DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER RELIGION!" to goad the troll into fighting. At first it seems like your taunt has no effect, but soon you notice the Troll slowing down and in an attempt to catch its breath, hide behind one of the previously mentioned mushroom trees, wherefrom soon comes an exhausted sounding reply.

From somewhere behind the mushrooms the voice is heard:
"Cease your nonsense, wretched mud Gremlin! Your logical fallacies will not sway my ideals! Atheism is in fact rather the opposite; a concept that is defined by its lack of adherence to unverifiable beliefs instead of one that places the full authority of the mind at the mercy of some experimental social engineering and peer pressure!"

Many arrows fly past you, hitting the stem of the mushroom tree even as the debate rages overhead.

"And furthermore, the very concept of unified religions to the point where they can so easily be compared to something which at its very core they are diametrically opposed to is absurd!"

The troll named Demarcation takes the opportunity during a sleepy lull in the rain of arrows to rush to the nearest other mushroom tree yet further northwest, picking up a boulder on the way which it throws in your general direction, not really aiming as much as trying to get you to leave it alone. The boulder comes crashing into the soil several meters ahead of you, doing exactly zilch to ITEC forces. But neither have you really gained any ground or scored any significant wounds. Except for, as you suddenly notice, on one of the mushrooms.

The tall, thick mushroom where Demarcation was previously hiding behind collapses sickly under its own weight, sizzling slightly from what must be remnants of the acid rubbed of off Demarcations back.
As it falls, it releases a puff of the same white mist that has been slowly growing around you.

You are starting to see spots dancing in front of your eyes, but Demarcation is close at hand and has stopped running for now. If you could just stall xir a bit longer, you are sure Skvababt could find a better angle to engage from.
All you really need is one impossibly perfect shot to pin the troll down, or perhaps to order Konnie to throw the last of your bottles of acid whilst you again distract it. Thinking is getting harder even as you deliberate your next move, but it is one you must make all the same.

1: How do you proceed?

A: Taunt Demarcation, trust in your allies.

B: Order a charge.

C: Keep engaging the troll at range, but stay silent.

D: Throw some more acid at it.

E: Do something else?
Write-in.

F: Stop fighting and go rest on a soft, inviting mushroom.

G: Stop fighting and leave the way you came back. You will feel so much better and it wont hurt any more.

H: Stop fighting and tell the Troll to stop fighting and just sit down for a while. Relax.

---

Party Thoughts
You should... you should sleep. Everyone should just... stop fighting.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sleep and go after it in the dream realm

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A. "Then what is the point of life if not to serve and lead others toward greater future under a powerful ruler? Live in a cave like you and never get to experience the world, you pieces of waste! You talk with logic and philosophy, but you done nothing to spread your ideal! The world will continues to operate under the belief of the hardest worker and it will not be your world! Even if you someone attain the position of a powerful being, you are all alone with no one to agree with you! Your mind might be sharp, but this world is not for you! The physical life is meaningless to you if ghost and heaven is false! Why do you keep living? What's your atheist purpose in life!? Spend your boring life in a cave!? Your very being of existence are worthless and contribute nothing to the world. A nuisance that complaint and do nothing! You are nothing!"

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
E: Get away from the fallen mushroom

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Nyaa posted:

A. "Then what is the point of life if not to serve and lead others toward greater future under a powerful ruler? Live in a cave like you and never get to experience the world, you pieces of waste! You talk with logic and philosophy, but you done nothing to spread your ideal! The world will continues to operate under the belief of the hardest worker and it will not be your world! Even if you someone attain the position of a powerful being, you are all alone with no one to agree with you! Your mind might be sharp, but this world is not for you! The physical life is meaningless to you if ghost and heaven is false! Why do you keep living? What's your atheist purpose in life!? Spend your boring life in a cave!? Your very being of existence are worthless and contribute nothing to the world. A nuisance that complaint and do nothing! You are nothing!"

+1 mostly because arguing w/ this euphoric troll is hilarious.

InViolentAgreement
Sep 26, 2014
Oh God this thread just turned into Thanksgiving with my parents.

Also Taunting via philosophical debate is keeping the troll nearby. I vote we keep doing this.

InViolentAgreement fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 1, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
BD, charge it with the intent to distract and flank while Froggly and Konnie wait for the right time to bury arrows/acid in Dem's face, after which we back off and sleep before dying of fungal lung wait out of the white haze for xim to die horribly and claim our grizzly prize.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A - "What do you mean 'unverifiable'? There is ample proof the gods exist, they even talk directly to their petitioners, they even do so unbidden and provide concrete blessings to their faithful. How can you call your beliefs intellectually superior when you are the one denying easily observable evidence that invalidates your beliefs and refusing to take it into account."

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A - "What do you mean 'unverifiable'? There is ample proof the gods exist, they even talk directly to their petitioners, they even do so unbidden and provide concrete blessings to their faithful. How can you call your beliefs intellectually superior when you are the one denying easily observable evidence that invalidates your beliefs and refusing to take it into account."

I like this

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

+1

to fight a troll you must become a troll

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

alpaca diseases posted:

+1

to fight a troll you must become a troll

Agreed

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

+1 to Troll Trolling.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

gently caress it. Change, append vote to this.

In this world the atheists are the religious nuts and the religious nuts are the atheists.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

+1

Be the troll you want to see in the world.

InViolentAgreement
Sep 26, 2014

+1

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

+1

'Grudge against gods' might make sense in this world. Atheism though, doesn't really :v:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Theantero posted:

+1

'Grudge against gods' might make sense in this world. Atheism though, doesn't really :v:

Even if they aren't real the way we think they are, they're real enough to do business with us and that's what counts.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

gently caress yes.

Follow-up: Despite Fact vs Belief!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
G: Stop fighting and leave the way you came back. You will feel so much better and it wont hurt any more.

We've been pushing a bad situation and we need to stop.

Trying to engage a superior foe, one which we can't even hurt, on deadly ground, is going to get the team wiped.

We have to fold, or we're all going to die down here. The mushroom spores make people lay down and go to sleep. They don't wake up, and their bodies become plant food.

We have to leave.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

CourValant posted:

I agree with this plan and its reasoning. We can always reneg with Quackeen on a job half-done. Not the most ideal plan, but sure beats fighting a troll on terrain she knows and we don't, in the middle of Sleep Spore mushroom patch.

We are a business at the end of the day, not paladins or heroes, and we absolutely need to learn to cut our losses instead of trying to push our luck to insane degrees, since I seriously doubt it will last forever.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
That Which Runs At The First Sign Of Danger
Month 3, Week 4, Day 3
Early morning

You resist the urge to sleep, for now, hoping that the rest of your team does the same with the aid of the Adrenaline of battle. Instead you focus on the one thing that does seem to be working; engaging the troll in a riveting theological debate.

“What do you mean 'unverifiable'? There is ample proof the gods exist, they even talk directly to their petitioners, they even do so unbidden and provide concrete blessings to their faithful.
How can you call your beliefs intellectually superior when you are the one denying easily observable evidence that invalidates your beliefs and refusing to take it into account."

"Of course you would make such outrageous claims, you Puppet! You Pinkerton! You do not see the strings you dance upon, the threads of your masters! How can your Gods be real when your eyes aren't real?!
How would you even tell a Blessing from a Curse, when both concepts are equally absurd when applied to a world of infinite complexity? I deny you, gremlin! You and your murderous horde!
I fight you not for my survival, but for ideals beyond your limited comprehension and vast amounts of gold and your rotting flesh stuck in my granite teeth that will do so little to soothe my aching hunger!"

Utterly enraged, the Troll looks around for something to throw at you, but quickly realizes the boulder it already threw is the only one nearby.
One suicidal charge later, Demarcation is nearly upon you, causing the mêlée fighters of ITEC to rush to your side (Abigail charges, Demarcation doesn't care, the sword barely scratches xir) whereupon it picks up the boulder, turns and rushes back to the treeshroom.
This, of course, is met with a hail of arrows.

They stick in large trollish arms and pierce the back as xir flees but fail to do any real damage.
Only arrows fired from Skvababts longbow have any real hope of penetrating, and even then only when the troll is kind enough to stand still and present its what few vulnerable spots it has for long enough for Skvababt to take the shot.
Instead, xir waits behind xir Treeshroom until xir has caught xir breath, before poking xir head out to judge what force and trajectory would be required to squash you flat with the re-collected boulder.
It takes but a moment, and as soon as the boulder is flying xir runs off again, yet further into mushroom lands.

Though every step xir takes is erased by the spongy material of the soil, xir repeated scramblings, boulder throwing antics and heavy frame are starting to take their toll. This time the tracks heal far slower and as a result even more white mist is released.
You are pretty sure you are hallucinating at least one of the Abigails urging you forward. As for the boulder? It landed roughly in the same place it did last time, causing you to briefly consider if something could be throwing the trolls aim off.

---

1: Hopefully the Troll is feeling the same general wooziness as as you are. For one thing, it's been here longer, and it was already asleep when you found it.
If you just pursue it a little longer it will probably collapse under its own weight, or inevitably run into another giant mushroom and accidentally take a face full of mist as a result.
Or maybe you could get a lucky shot it, or use up the last of your acid? So many paths to choose, though you admit just going to sleep right now is the most tempting of them all.

A: Never Ever Give Up
You will chase it until one of you dies, full stop.

B: A, but use the last bottle of Acid to counter its stupid regeneration.

C: Stop fighting, go away.

D: Stop fighting, go to sleep.

E: Seriously, it hurts.

F: Something else?
Write-in.

---

Party thoughts:
Konnie: “Getting pretty tired here boss, how long is thing going to keep running?”
Kvelar: “D'ye need me ta step in for a mo', cousin?”
A Cow: “A Moo'”
Johakim: “We can't keep this up.”
Abigail: “C'mon, don't let it get away!”
Abigail: “We should go to sleep over there, that looks nice.”
Khami: “A foolish man follows through. A wise man does not have too.”
Skvababt: “Oh, don't you worry Misters Ironscripts, I'll get that Troll after we all have nice long, early morning rest. Mhmmzzz..”
Tommy: “I don't like that mist, not one bit. Lets be done with it, and quickly.”
Owlbear Cubs: “Zzzooot, zzooot” (Zzzz zzzz..)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

F. Tell Konnie and johakim to stay back to avoid the mist. If we felt asleep feom the mist, they will try to drag us out one at a time. The rest keep chasing.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

F. B, but everyone ties a kerchief or something around their face to try and filter the spores.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
C: Stop fighting, go away.

We. Have. To. Leave.

This has gone too far, and we're deep into 'Where the Wild Things Roam' territory here.

Whether we kill the troll or not, we won't survive the spores much longer.

We can't stay. Please, I don't want the party to wipe.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Blasphemaster posted:

F. B, but everyone ties a kerchief or something around their face to try and filter the spores.

+1 to this, and to letting Kvelar take over our shared body if need be.

God drat this troll is annoying. He seems p. timid for someone that was going to attack a church.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 5, 2017

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Wait, how is the cow available for comment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Waci posted:

Wait, how is the cow available for comment?

We're about to pass out from spore inhalation. The cow is talking to us from the astral/dream realm.