Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Mobile Suit Gundam (TV!!) and Crossbone X2 (Not Kai!!!) :anime:

The original Gundam is great because it was really unique at the time and in a sense still is, and inspired an entire subgenre of anime. Amuro is the original teenager that fell into a Gundam, but he's super unhappy about it and nearly half the series is about him balancing his ego as far and away the best pilot White Base has, while also being terrified of going into battle. It's really easy to see yourself in the situations where he lashes out at other people, not because they're assholes (they are, and so is he) but because he's a scared, lonely teenager with space aspergers.

Char is a classic villain. Everyone knows who he is. He's great as a villain because he's not evil and trying to conquer Earth or anything, he's great because he's broken as heck and will stop at nothing for revenge, even killing his best friend. And he wants to beat Amuro because he's a gat dang teenager that upstaged him as being the best robot pilot ever.

muike fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Billy Crystal would do a great Amuro. Paranoid, neurotic, apparently Jewish

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Not officially...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Namtab posted:

I'm going to ask now that people give reasons for their choices like I did so that we don't get pyf tier posting tia.

I will edit it into my post at your request, however I am very unhappy that I have to explain why the original is the best

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was the kid that didn't care about 08th MS Team on Toonami but was super hyped when they showed 0079

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Droyer posted:

Fun Victory Gundam fact: Uso was originally intended to be a descendant of Char Aznable, but that idea got scrapped at some point during development.

afaik it's just a popular idea that was never official but all the staff (except tomino) are fans of

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
perhaps, i, too, am wrong.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you will get over that by episode ~2

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you put it in the abstract the Purus are a cool idea. Clones made to fight in crazy psychic war machines, but it kind of lost the plot somewhere along the way (for me). Marida being the last surviving clone of a series of psychic super soldiers would be cool and THEORETICALLY you could handle the whole sexual slavery thing in a decent way in some form but not by that author.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

Shin Matsunaga is more boring. He's the same thing as Johnny Ridden except his suit is white and instead of being Kyilia's love interest he is Dozel's love interest best friend.

That's way better, to me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've always had zero interest in either of them as characters so I will defend Shin Matsunaga and subs over dubs to the death.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
In Gihren's greed it's possible for Zeon to steal the gundam or produce their own but I don't think you can get an Amuro defection. It's fairly likely he would've joined Char in the novels, but like ImpAtom says, he gets iced.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
One of my favorite things Amuro ever does is right before the attack on A Baoa Qu, I think, I don't remember exactly when this happens, he says "dont worry guys im a newtype and i saw the future and everything works out ok." Frau or Sayla goes "Wow I didn't know newtypes could do that" to which Amuro responds "they can't im making GBS threads my pants"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Craptacular! posted:

Remember that one urban fight in 08th? You know the one, where they were grappling down buildings running down freeways and stuff? Is there any show that has more of that kind of fighting?

When I think of Gundam, I tend to think of battleship formations launching robots who cross lightsabres and fire Space Shotguns at each other. I'd like to see less space weaponry and more machine guns and urban combat like that. I dunno if any of the shows I haven't seen do that, maybe Turn-A since it's got this Ghibli Lite setting that might be less prone to laser battles among asteroid fields?

Any time lambda drivers aren't being used in FMP. Admittedly not as frequent as I'd like.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The butt shields are the thrusters set in their planetary position for a lower center of gravity.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that's a zaku flipper sry

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
technically *pushes glasses up nose* i would say the i-field is a more advanced defensive measure than beam shields

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Beams don't really work like that in gundam so Im guessing fragmentation shells with bright coloration so you can actually, like, see them, in space.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You can't store a beam shot in a round like that, at least as far as UC goes. You could have a some kind of stored charge, like mega particles trapped in an I-field, but that would be more of an explosion than a directional blast like that puts off. Don't make me dork out this hard son

e: to clarify if it is beams, the stark jegan has grenades that are equivalent to the GM-79's beam spray gun and that would be badass.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah you're right there are the epacks and everything and I could theorize all day but I think the only thing I can say with authority is that I'm pretty sure they're conventional explosives

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My limited knowledge of Japanese and the stark jegan manual doesn't prove that they're NOT beams so who knows

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It was a bazooka round, and the same effect was on the missiles. I think it's just like directional projectiles

according to the meticulously updated Gundam Wiki

quote:

Hyper Bazooka

For heavier firepower the Stark Jegan can be equipped with a hyper bazooka that fires 380mm rounds. The Stark Jegan's hyper bazooka's rounds release many small projectiles that cover a large area.

If it was a beam bazooka it'd be called out as such in the manual

e: looked on dalong the manual does mention something about beams in the blurb about the hyper bazooka, and i can't read it, so maybe it has multiple types of rounds? it could also be talking about anti-beam rounds

muike fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 3, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thank you for the clarification!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a nice little story but the show can live without it. It's very poorly animated. Tomino himself even animated for it, and while I love the guy, he's not an animator.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think this is the first UC series that's actually shown the prosthetics that UC supposedly has

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Also it's not real life it's a story intended to convey thoughts and ideas not be a representation of a historical event

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Erg posted:

What's the difference between a mobile suit and mobile armor?

a mobile armor is non-humanoid, basically

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I am only mostly joking when I say this but it's a Mobile Armor because it has a tragic Newtype girl in it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

I don't want them doing the rest of The Origin if they can't do better than mid-budget CGI because seriously look at that fuckin' page and how good that art is.

apparently it's what the director likes?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Io's a huge piece of poo poo. Interesting to watch. I am shocked that a drummer can operate a mobile suit though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I just wanna throw in how much I love Gundam's space stuff. Like, dumb, but realistic feeling, details like having a smoking room where dudes can blow their smoke into a tube and poo poo to keep it out of the air and all, the shots of guys just swimming through the air, all that is just really nice to see.

it's all very reminiscent of old american science fiction novels to me

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He's a greybeard, let him enjoy his time

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Every series made since Zeta Gundam has people complaining about how something in the show is "so un-Gundamlike" it amazes me

I suppose everyone has a different concept of what Gundam "is" and when a production's nature conflicts with this it causes them some amount of displeasure

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
just imagine it as the cover of a 1960s scifi novel

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I thought it was because of the smell, not because it was difficult for them to breathe

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you're crazy if you dont think kycilia would not take care of that poo poo immediately

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a kitbash of a gouf custom from 08th ms team and various weapons from other kits

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sakurazuka posted:

Wing is still bad.

Every time I hear about Gundam Wing a little part of me breaks off and sinks to the bottom of the ocean

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think I'd probably be a little more lenient towards it if it weren't for the fact I still view it as Baby's First Gundam since it aired on Toonami, and I haven't stopped hearing about how it's the SICKEST poo poo since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Srice posted:

I thought G Gundam completely took that role over these days

Yeah but G Gundam is good

edit: I also think a lot of G Reco and peoples' reception to it is dependent, maybe, on certain views, or cultural differences