Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You're in a room. It's dark, it's cold, and you can hear water dripping somewhere down a hall. You can't see anything except a couple clock radios on the table in front of you. Funny, they aren't showing the same time. You don't remember exactly how you got here, but you've still got your cell phone. Just as you pull it out to see where the GPS thinks you are, the lights suddenly flare on with a loud mechanical bang.

That's not a clock radio.

You look down at your phone. Seconds later you're on the line with a single person. You are the eyes and hands, they are the brains and experience. A beep. The countdown begins.

Hello!

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a one-player co-op game. You're trapped in a room with a bomb, and no idea how to defuse it. Fortunately you're on the phone with an experienc- Fortunately you're on the phone with a capabl- Fortunately you're on the phone with someone with a How To Defuse Bombs manual, and now it's up to you two to fight through the stress, the tension, and the reading comprehension issues to get out of this alive!

Bacter and I will be playing this game together, taking turns as the bomb defuser and the bomb defusal expert. I encourage you to play along by viewing the BOMB DEFUSAL MANUAL, accessible right here! Experience the tension of trying to find the relevant sections as we desperately try to remain coherent in the face of certain doom.

Come along with us and cut the blue wire as we...

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Reserved in case of BOMBS.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Bacter's Modules-Made-EZ notes!

Part 1 regular modules

Part 2 regular modules

Best practices are to actually print out the bomb manual, so you can frantically flip through it while your partner is frantically defusing.

Teledahn posted:

I have to ask how you're going to handle some of the later levels? I know you said you're both going in blind, but I hope it's not too much of a spoiler to intimate that Bacter (clever as he undoubtedly is) will eventually need some help. Multiple experts would be recommended.

We're all the experts we need, and we will continue to believe that until we are meaty chunks on the floor (which will be soon: refer to thread title)

Another incidental note: when we say we're "going in blind" that also means we don't read the manual ahead. When you see a puzzle for the first time, WE'RE seeing a puzzle for the first time.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 26, 2015

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Haha, this will be fun once you get into the venn diagram morse code bullshit.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

This looks interesting, and I'm looking forward to more.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh, this one's gonna be super fun. :allears:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

You're trapped in a room with a bomb, and no idea how to defuse it. Fortunately you're on the phone with an experienc- Fortunately you're on the phone with a capabl- Fortunately you're on the phone with someone with a How To Defuse Bombs manual

Bacter

:allears:

Oh Mzbundifund, you sure know how to put a LP together with that scamp. Looking forward to this.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I tried this out with some friends. This game is tense as all, but also a hell of a lot of fun!

Really looking forward to seeing you guys try to handle the more difficult bombs. :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This looks incredibly amazing, and one can feel you guys getting more nervous and frantic as the clock ticks lower. I'm looking forward to the presumably more difficult levels later.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Ironically, i think your knowledge of greek, russian, ancient hebrew, egyptian hieroglyphics, and the darker reaches of the UTF-32 character set may hurt rather than help, if both sides of the equation aren't equally sure of what is and isn't an Aleph.

Looking forward to more! (and your eventual, inevitable demise!)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Okay, this should be good. Having taken a brief look at that bomb defusal manual, god drat are some of those rule paths ridiculous. I feel like I need a flowchart.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
The only other video of this game I've seen was by two of the most inept people I've ever come across, it'll be interesting to see people with actual brains trying this out. You've already done better than them, so good work on that. Also, I think the technical name for the thing that looks like a butt is indeed A Thing That Looks Like A Butt.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I may be a unique breed but I've never felt all that tense in this game, and I've been on both sides of the defusing process. It's still a lot of fun though, and if you ever need a backup expert, I'd love to jump in.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
When I first heard about this game as something for the Oculus Rift I thought it was a cool idea, but expected the execution to be pretty meh. It doesn't seem all that bad, all things considered. When playing with a Rift or the like, it probably works out really well and is actually able to be tense.

From what we've seen just in this one video, I do think that it being ported to Steam and the like kind of undermines the gameplay a lot though. When playing there, the only reason to actually do it co-op is because the game asks you very nicely to not use the manual while playing yourself.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

When I first heard about this game as something for the Oculus Rift I thought it was a cool idea, but expected the execution to be pretty meh. It doesn't seem all that bad, all things considered. When playing with a Rift or the like, it probably works out really well and is actually able to be tense.

From what we've seen just in this one video, I do think that it being ported to Steam and the like kind of undermines the gameplay a lot though. When playing there, the only reason to actually do it co-op is because the game asks you very nicely to not use the manual while playing yourself.

True, but if people choose to have a less fun gameplay experience that's really on them. You can only go so far trying to restrict someone from engaging in the game they way they want to.

I've been super stoked for this game and I need to pick it up and take it to my friends later.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I've been playing this game with friends, it is pretty excellent. I've only been on the manual side of things so far though (and scrolling through a PDF rather than printing a copy of the manual out, sadly), so it's cool to see what the game actually looks like from the bomb defuser's perspective.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think this should prove who's the REAL bomb expert around here.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

The only reason to play the game at all is because you want to have fun. It's just like games that provide a developer console (or that are written in javascript): nothing is stopping you from ad-hoc modding the game to remove all the challenge, but that may or may not be any fun, and it's not the developer's fault if you make their game worse.

If you can have fun playing this game and looking at the manual yourself, more power to you. If you can't have fun doing that, then maybe you should follow the developer's recommendation and not do that?

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 15, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
And what's the deal with books? I really feel the way I can just turn to the last page and spoil the ending at any point really undermines the tension of the plot.

Great videos, but short. So far, you're on the easy stuff. It gets... it gets weirder. Like, by a lot.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Every dire warning only increases our burning desire to get to the real monsters. I cannot WAIT you guys!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh man, how have I never heard of this game? It looks ridiculously fun. And to make things even better it's another Bacter and Mzbundifund LP. All I need is that million dollars and all my wishes really will come true.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dragonatrix posted:

It's a top notch party and co-op game despite the regrettable need for the honor system, I think. Well, okay, maybe a notch or two down - each round by definition being 5-10 minutes long is an issue.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I love how this is essentially a board game that takes full advantage of its video game format.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It doesn't matter that the game relies on the honor system because it's not competitive, it's cooperative.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Oh man, how have I never heard of this game? It looks ridiculously fun. And to make things even better it's another Bacter and Mzbundifund LP. All I need is that million dollars and all my wishes really will come true.

It only came out last week.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
If you want to see more, Smite did 3 videos of this game for those who want to see how more then 2 people can play this.

link to Smite's first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNAHTvmmRNs

Still, looking forward to more of this.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 16, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Three modules on a 5-minute bomb is a tiny number for tiny babies. Today we tackle six!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Doing good on the easy ones.

That alarm clock is the worst.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Alarm Clock is the true terrorist.

There was a Jade Star stream of this game too, but it went further so kinda contains spoilers.

This game works perfectly fine with more than one defusal 'expert'.

Edit: I feel saying BOOM to your defuser is kind of mean.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 17, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Veloxyll posted:

Edit: I feel saying BOOM to your defuser is kind of mean.

I didn't actually notice until editing the video how that might be misinterpreted!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
How are you guys going to handle it when the inevitable *BOOM* happens? Keep trying until you get a successful run after your failure? Switch off on who is defusing? Close the thread because one of you had a bomb go off in your face?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

How are you guys going to handle it when the inevitable *BOOM* happens? Keep trying until you get a successful run after your failure? Switch off on who is defusing? Close the thread because one of you had a bomb go off in your face?

The one who has the manual for the largest number of explosions over the course of the LP has to do an LP of Bad Rats after this.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I can't imagine that'll be a problem. :colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

berryjon posted:

Right now the plan is to just do repeated attempts until we win the last level or the game gets aggressively repetitive and dull to watch. Again, it's a blind LP so I'm not sure if there's any sort of endgame to shoot for besides beating harder and harder bombs.

Bacter posted:

I can't imagine that'll be a problem. :colbert:

No I don't believe it will. :colbert:

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
Clearly, whenever a bomb goes off, the person defusing the bomb should be replaced with a new let's player

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I noticed that the game gave you the win after pressing the third button of the last module.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
This game looks neat! How many pages is the manual?

Also I can't help but think of this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_WmV50e7c

ally_1986 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 17, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

23 pages all told, but I'm not sure how many of those are modules - "many", I guess!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Fellow goon MyNameIsKaz was also playing this game last night (you can see it on his twitch channel, where he's known as kazeugma). He and his partners (first fellow goon Medibot, then his girlfriend) are so much worse than you at this. For playing this blind, your teamwork is amazing. Which is no surprise, I loved your Baldur's Gate LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Normally you would think the pressure is on the person with the bomb. seeing as they're the one that's about to explode. But it's definitely on the one with the manual. You can basically hear it in the manual owners voice how much they're trying to find the correct solution. So far, the answers have seemed easy enough so it's not too bad. I imagine harder bombs are going to get worse and worse for the one with the manual. It's easy enough to describe what the bomb looks like, unless you don't know your greek letters. So far at least.

• Locked thread