Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

all dubs are aids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The real answer is in the middle: Watch it one way, then the other way

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am not gonna be able to watch tonight, but tomorrow I am gonna play catchup, in style.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Since I originally watched it on TV and then never watched it again I've only ever seen the dub, so watching it subbed should help it feel a little fresher for a rewatch.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dang, Haruko's got Harry Ord shades!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i really like the momentary switch in animation styles in ep2. judging from his sakuga page, it's a trademark of the guy's (Shinya Ohira) style

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

those episodes were fun! i have definitely seen parts of them via gifs and [as], but never took them in as a coherent whole. the giant iron actually being a building/plot relevant is one of those seemingly important details i missed before, i like its juxtaposition against the city. episode 2 having it's own story focus within the larger arc of Haruko/Naota stuff was nice, and i liked all the scattered details (shoes, game, etc) that culminated in Naota reaching a realization.

i also found myself kinda surprised at how good the robot designs are (though duh, Tsurumaki worked on Diebuster too), Firestarter especially. decided to watch the sub and i don't feel like much is different, which is good. sub Haruko has the same feel!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

stuff I remember from the first two episodes of commentary:

-the very opening lines are Mamimi misquoting Ashita no Joe, which is why she gets messed up about her hands
-Kanti was added to the show because the director wanted a robot in the show
-Haruko's characterization was developed around her voice actor
-the robot that comes out of Naota's head in the first episode is the hand of the robot in the second one. You can see the robot in the second episode has attached a taser where his hand used to be

Parallax fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 21, 2015

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

also, Haruko is left-handed, like Naoto's brother

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I know FLCL gets a lot of credit for its action stuff (and deserves it) but the show is just really great looking all around. Look at this lighting! Look at this framing!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the part right at the start of the fight with the hand when the camera shifted slightly to the right so the giant iron building was in frame.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the shot with a bat and Canti visiting the school's remains definitely stood out to me as far as framing goes

oh, and the manga bit was just a great, single, uninterrupted joke, dunno how that translates in the dub

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I have never seen this. I would like to check it out and will catch up with thread later!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

cool shots from episode 2 + my wife

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Naoto is a pretty cool dude in episode 2, between ditching his friends for Mamimi and shoving her out of the way of danger. I can't remember if this is something that the director said, but Naoto + Kanti is the show's idea of the "ideal man"

also I like stuff like this to show Naoto's POV

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

GorfZaplen posted:

I wonder if I still have the original .rmvbs I watched it on.
I have one of the [as] airings saved on a 9-hour VHS in SP mode. Dunno if it still works, maybe I can try it out for this simulwatch.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Parallax posted:

-the very opening lines are Mamimi misquoting Ashita no Joe, which is why she gets messed up about her hands

then after that she quotes ring ni kakero. the chapter she quotes actually was just translated a few days ago

anyway I'd participate in this but I literally just watched last week. it's still real good after 15 years yeah

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ringo Roadagain posted:

it's still real good after 15 years yeah

:yeah:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Finally got around to (re)watching the first two. I have concluded that it has been far too long since I last watched this show.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Alright, got done watching the first two episodes.

That was really really good. The firestarter realization was absolutely breathtaking.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I like bass guitars. I haven't finished this one... It's on my old laptop tho

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I saw the first episode years and years ago and never saw the rest of it, so the time to sit down and marathon it all is now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Episode 3 was episode 1 and 2 again.

I really wanna talk about what makes it so good but I'm not nearly equipped enough to do it and I don't think I'll be even when it's over. Phenomenal framing, awesome soundtrack, great pacing, and just barely understandable enough to tell the stories it's telling.

Gonna watch episode 4 when I wake up.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I think it was the director's commentary that pointed out that the color red was symbolic of something but I forgot what it was.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Brutakas posted:

I think it was the director's commentary that pointed out that the color red was symbolic of something but I forgot what it was.

You bastards talking about the commentary has forced me to buy the Blu Ray. I hope you are happy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A bit later than I had intended, but I just got done watching episode 4.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It only just struck me now, how Naota's mom is a total non-character. She doesn't appear and I don't think there is even a single mention.
Is she dead? Divorced? Or just so irrelevant she turns invisible?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

nielsm posted:

It only just struck me now, how Naota's mom is a total non-character. She doesn't appear and I don't think there is even a single mention.

It's a coming of age story so at least one parent must be dead or missing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't come up with much to say about episodes 3 and 4. they were very nice, more of what the previous episodes were, and aside from a couple bits pretty easy to grasp. i'm probably going to finish the series tonight

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

nielsm posted:

Naota's dad never struck me as the kinda guy capable of maintaining a stable relationship long-term.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Starting to (re)watch the thing, first episode down. I'll probably burn through the whole thing tonight, 'cause it's good. If I didn't know otherwise, I could easily believe that the first episode was standalone.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Just finished episode four. One of the things I really like about this show is how there is really no down episode. Every episode somehow manages to be significantly better than the last. it's like every time I describe an episode, I want to say "this is the episode where things get really good," but it just loses the effect when that describes literally every episode.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I really liked episode 3. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it really resonated with me.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Trying to play catch up right now, this series is...interesting. just started episode 3

edit~

Holy poo poo I'm being too lazy to do the sub, the dad's voice is so annoying all the time.

Renzuko fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 23, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
It's really fun rewatching this a third time and catching even more stuff that went over my head before.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I was going to post my thoughts after each episode, but instead I just watched them all. It's as good as I remember. Things that seemed unclear in the earlier episodes seem clearer in the light of the later. I'm amazed that the unsubtle imagery managed to go over my head when I first watched this. I'm able to appreciate much more of the referential humor now than then as well.

I've discovered that this was written by Enokido. This makes sense to me.

Thanks for prodding me to watch this again, Seafood.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I just finished this show for the first time ever and wow. I've never seen anything quite like it before, where it almost verges on the edge of nonsense, but manages to stay coherent most of the time. I'm definitely going to have to rewatch it.

I think the thing that most impressed me about it was the pacing. Every episode was right on target, and the overall arc felt appropriately foreshadowed. Nothing stayed too long, nothing was underused. Most anime drag things out forever or condense too much, so to see a show with such exquisite timing is a treat.

Final note: my favorite scenes were the manga scenes in ep 1 and 6.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just finished this show for the first time ever and wow. I've never seen anything quite like it before, where it almost verges on the edge of nonsense, but manages to stay coherent most of the time. I'm definitely going to have to rewatch it.

I think the thing that most impressed me about it was the pacing. Every episode was right on target, and the overall arc felt appropriately foreshadowed. Nothing stayed too long, nothing was underused. Most anime drag things out forever or condense too much, so to see a show with such exquisite timing is a treat.

Final note: my favorite scenes were the manga scenes in ep 1 and 6.

It's a show that definitely rewards rewatching. Switch subs/dub for your second viewing, they're both really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going to watch this tonight.

• Locked thread