Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Blow off the dust, and watch it swirl into the horizons far beyond. Once more, it is time to tell the tales of high adventure. Drift with me, heresiarchs and blood-caked conquerors...

This war and power and magic torn land finds itself resting as the seas lap up on the ports of Troiya. Troiya, the jewel on the crown rim of the wasteland. To the West, the shifting glass inflected sands of the Burning Empire, where witch-kings rule over the corpses of fallen peoples and secluded zealots spill each other's blood. To the East lies the oceans that connect this port to every city in every direction, and beyond even that horizon lies the Infinite Blue, an ocean known more by the tales of drunken sailors and the hissing of the widows and children they leave behind than by any mortal map. But here, there lies the threat of chaos as foreign armies tensely walk alongside their enemies, feuding merchants of sworn enemies outbid each other, and bizarre and outlandish creatures are ushered in front of overeager crowds for all to see, held in check only by the storm magics wielded by ancient pacts of siren's blood and elder's tears.

Troiya
Aspects: The Port of the World, Storm's A Brewin'

Within this seeming order is held the skeleton of corrupt constables, linked upward and onward by a fat coward in charge more by the strength of his coin than by the grip of his fist. The beautiful daughter has worked far harder to keep people's tongues wagging faithfully than any act by her father in years, and as such decadence has begun to rot in the staidly estate. Yet here you have found yourself, standing or sitting or crouching amongst the still-life lavishness of robes and titles and expensive vases.

And you all just got caught making a gargantuan mistake.

Estate of the Worthless Governor
Aspects: Gilded Sloth, Center of Attention

And this is not the type of mistake that one makes lightly. Oh no. This mistake is the type of mistake that lesser men would be thrown into the deepest, darkest dungeon for and forgotten by all but vermin and their regrets. But you are not normal individuals. Hardly, you are individuals who are just now hearing the stamping of the guard's boots, the barking of dogs and other stranger things, the shrieking and gasping and fainting of those so inclined, and even the forthcoming curses and wailing to their gods as they click into place on their tongues. And all of that in the center of a political, economic, and social bomb waiting to go off as soon as they have even half a reason to do so. You can't shake this off, and you can't just ignore this and hope it goes away.

What Did You Just DO?!

ANNNNND WE'RE OFF! As usual, post your character sheets in your first post for easy reference and tell me how you decided to screw things up in an incredibly important person's palace. Then let's figure out how you're gonna get out of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

OmegaGoo posted:

Aengus, Crusader of Stars

Stress

Physical: OOOO
Mental: OOO

Modes
2 Points remaining

Good: Crusader (Athletics, Combat, Physique, Rapport, Will) 7 points
Fair: Conqueror (Combat, Empathy, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Will) 9 points
Average: Latent Magic [This is LORE] (Notice, Will, LORE) 3 points

Specialize Demonic Lore (3)
Specialize Rapport (3)
Specialize Physique (2)
Focus Athletics (1)

Aspects
High Concept: Two Souls, One Body

Invoke to: Know something he really shouldn't; Be immune to mind manipulation or trickery
Compel to: Not know something he really should; GAM (there is not a decoration emphatic enough)

Good: Knight in Shining Armor

Invoke to: Be the hero! Does there need to be another one?
Compel to: Fail to keep a low profile; Attract the attention of royalty who need things done

Fair: Manifest Destiny

Invoke to: Will the world to be just so... and have it comply; Gain the right-of-way.
Compel to: Have the world be just so... even if he doesn't want it; Once again, fail to keep a low profile

Average: Born of an Unholy Sacrament

Invoke to: Understand magic intuitively; Be resistant to magic
Compel to: Have really bad luck; Attract not-so-normal attention

Omega: Hubris? Ha!

Invoke to: Be brave!
Compel to: Be foolhardy! Or all those other things that Hubris does.

pre:
Skills
5: Rapport       Physique    Will
4: Athletics     Combat 
3: Demonic Lore  Notice
2: Empathy       Provoke
1: LORE
Weird Skills

Black Magic (2 points)
Black magic is magic with Evil origins. It specializes in corruption, both mental and physical.

Attack: Warp a target's physical form, causing physical stress.

Attack: Warp a target's psyche, causing mental stress.

Overcome: Warp a target's physical form, changing things slightly to allow passage.

Overcome: Warp a target's psyche, causing minds to change and doors to open.

Stunts
(Bold are mega-stunts)
9 benefits = 4 FP

Gam (Lord of Fear): Gam is one of the First of the Corrupted, grafted to Aengus's soul since birth. He might be completely pissed about this situation.
Function: Lord of Fear
Need: The World Shall Kneel!
6 benefits

Gam's benefits all come at a BIG RED FLAG HOLY poo poo EVERYTHING IS AWFUL cost.

----
- Vying for Dominance (Will): Normally, Aengus is in control. Rarely, Gam can gain control.
Gam is normally "inactive". When narratively appropriate, he may become "active". While active, Gam's stunt benefits apply to Aengus and the following changes occur to Aengus's skills:
-- Bad Cop (Provoke): Rapport and Provoke are swapped.
-- I am the First (Demonic Lore): Demonic Lore becomes Superb (+5).
-- It Called (Black Magic): Gain the Black Magic Weird Skill at Good (+3).

- Lord of Fear (Provoke): Gam is the Lord of Fear. When he's in control, the world bows before him.
Gam can use Provoke to attack all other characters (Friend and Foe) in his zone. If his attack does at least one point of stress or the target takes a consequence, he places the aspect "Awed and Afraid" with no free tags on the target. He may compel this aspect once for free.

- Well of Knowledge (LORE): Its call gave Gam not only power, but eons of knowledge as well.
Whenever Gam performs a LORE action, it completes two time increments faster since he already knows most of what he needs to.

- Will of the First (Will): Gam is one of the First, and their mental fortitude is quite a bit better than a mere mortal's.
Gam has 2 extra Mental Stress boxes.
----

Luckily I Have My Armor! (Physique): Every good knight needs Full Plate Armor to look the part! Of course, regular armor isn't quite as universal as Gam wants it to be, so it's subtly reinforced by his magic. Not that Aengus knows that.
Aengus has Armor:1 against all physical attacks as long as he's in his armor.

Chivalry Isn't Dead (Rapport): Aengus attempts to emulate his heroes from the stories he grew up on. That means fair play, be the hero, and always, ALWAYS win the maiden's heart!
Whenever a fair maiden (subject to interpretation) is in distress, Aengus automatically generates the aspect "I Am the Hero!" on himself with a free tag for himself and a free compel for the GM. Gam cannot gain the benefits of this stunt.

Magic Doesn't Work Like That (Physique): Aengus can't use magic. At least, not consciously. His body is so thoroughly infused with magic, though, that he constantly uses it without realizing it.
Aengus can use Physique to defend against magic-based attacks. However, he cannot receive boosts from a SwS on these rolls.

Natural Leader (Rapport): Aengus is a leader, never a follower. Sure, he'll work for someone, but he always does things his way, and his zeal is infectious. 2 benefits
Aengus can absolutely organize people. However, other leaders find working with him very difficult for any number of reasons (at a cost). Additionally, Aengus gains +2 on Rapport rolls to lead or inspire large groups.

"Look in his hand! The man was drawing a knife!"

Aengus's sword dripped blood on the beautiful wooden floor. A noble lay at his feet, the life drained from his eyes as a crimson pool spread from his torso. The man had reached into his coat to fetch a weapon with the intent of harming the Governor's daughter, the very woman Aengus had been hired to protect.

"Wasn't that Lord Harrison's son?"

"Last I heard, he was in the running as a suitor..."

"Who is the fool in the armor?"

"What is the meaning of this!?"

The whispers ceased immediately as the Governor boomed. Aengus looked over to the portly man, "Your Lordship, this man drew a knife and attempted to attack your daughter. I believe she will no longer be at risk."

The Governor's face turned beat red, and he seemed ready to explode, "HOW DARE YOU! I hired you to stand around and look intimidating! You killed my future son-in-law!"

A few murmurs rippled through the crowd at the confirmation of rumor, but the Governor did not stop his tirade, "I will see to it that your eyes will be as lifeless as this poor man's are. GUARDS! ARREST THIS MAN AT ONCE!"

Aengus sighed. People never accepted the truth in front of them. The man clearly intended to kill his daughter, yet Aengus was the villain here. Clearly, such vile corruption should not remain in command. He listened to the tromping of boots coming his way, brought his sword up into a defensive position, and smirked.

"My humble apologies, Your Lordship, but I do not believe your accommodations will suit the likes of me. I'm afraid I must decline."

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 15, 2015

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.

quote:

Name: Annabelle Montferrand

Aspects

Concept: Loudmouth Librarian
Good: Recorder of the World’s Knowledge
Fair: Last of the Spellbinders
Average: High-Class Girl
Omega: Party Hard

Modes

Good - Lore (Lore, Notice, Will) : 3 total
Fair - Weird Mode: Sorcerer (Athletics, Contacts, Empathy, Rapport, Spellbinder, Will) : 11 total
Average - Banter (Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will) : 9 total

Specialize - Spell Binder (+3), Rapport (+2)
Focus - Lore: World History (+1), Lore: Summoning (+1)

Skills

+5 - Will
+4 - Spellbinder, Lore: World History, Lore: Summoning, Rapport
+3 - Lore (All Else), Empathy, Contacts
+2 - Athletics
+1 - Provoke, Deceive

Weird Skills:

Spellbinder (3 cost): Sorcerers who draw their power not from mere words, but from written stories. Sorcerers categorize spellbinding as a sub-class of Summoner; more specifically as ‘those who summon or bind written entities’.

Spellbinding is not widely practiced as it is considered a weak form of summoning. Written entities are fake and lack the power of more traditional summoned or bound entities. As such, calling upon the power of, say, ‘Robin Hood’ would simply make the summoner a particularly talented archer. Spellbinding may be useful for acquiring talents one does not naturally have but one must have the book or story on hand to call upon it in the first place. Compared to other branches of summon sorcery, spellbinding is not particularly powerful though it is safer.

Spellbinders are also good at Sealing magic as the name might suggest. Some theorize that Spellbinders sealed monsters and entities within books or scrolls and harnessed their power through the power of words, thus beginning the wide-spread use of ‘magic words’. Though spellbinders call upon the power of sealed entities just as well as fake entities, there is no particular advantage to this method of summoning. You still need to carry the book or scroll around to do the ritual, not to mention the seal is susceptible to damage. As such, it is just inconvenient to summon an entity in this fashion.

Can do everything Combat does, with the addition of:
Overcome: May be used to dismiss a summoned entity. The summoner can Defend with an appropriate skill.

Stunts

;) - +1 to Rapport when using Create an Advantage or Overcome on a male target.

Monster Manual - +2 when using Lore: Summoning to Create an Advantage on a summoned monster when attempting to figure out its weakness.

Historian Knowledge – When entering a significant area for the first time (city, landmark, historical site, etc), Annabelle can place one Scene aspect relating to that area’s history -or- reveal a hidden aspect locals to the area would be aware of (whichever is more appropriate) using Lore: World History and beating a difficulty of +3.

The Heroine (Mega Stunt - Binding)
Annabelle draws power not from a single fictional character but on the primordial concept of The Hero.
The hero that has existed since the first spoken words. The hero that will exist infinitely into the future.
The power of the mono-myth.

Function: The Eternal Legend
Weakness: Mental Overload

(Mega Stunts - 4 Benefits)
Courage – Fearproof (at a cost); Armor: 1 vs. Mental attacks
Wisdom – When using a free invocation (Aspect or Boost) in a physical conflict, the bonus is +3 vice +2
Strength – Armor: 2 against physical harm

Stress:

Phy: [_] [_] [_]
Men: [_] [_] [_] [_]

"Arrest this woman at once!" A shrieking voice permeated through the once jovial dining hall. A stampede of feet could be heard elsewhere in the mansion. Were those feet coming for her or the other man who coincidentally was being arrested at the same time? Annabelle's mind was hazy with drink, but... how did she get into this mess in the first place again?

That's right, she was in the area because there was some rare plant she lost her notes on. It was always a pain, losing your notes after a jovial night of drink and merriment. But hey, just another excuse to go out and do some field work! And then, there was a big party being held at a mansion and she might've slapped this uppity noblewoman a few times and called her a...

Well! Best not dwell on the past, especially one filtered through a few drinks. The important thing now was getting out of here. Time to make like a cow and jump over the moon.

Annabelle downed the rest of her wine and slammed the glass on the nearby table. "Well, it's been fun~ Call me if you want to get put in your place again!"

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Jaxus, The Son Of Oberon

HE RETURNS. I'm getting a sheet up as soon as I can, I'm in the middle of a vacation and just now found out the thread went up.

High Concept: Barbarian Heir With No Clan
Good: From Slave to Slayer
Average: No Chains May Bind Me, No Fortress Shall Hold Me
Fair: The Old Ways, Not Forgotten
Omega: Trouble on the Homefront

Skills and Modes:
Good: Combat, Physique, Provoke, Notice
Fair: Combat, Physique, Athletics, Will, Notice
Average: Notice, Burglary, Vehicles, Will

Specialize Combat (2)
Specialize Physique (2)
Focus Athletics (1)
Focus Will (1)
Specialize Notice (2)

Stress:
Physical O O O O O
Mental O O

Stunts:
I'll Cleave Your Skull to the Teeth! When Jaxus takes an enemy out in physical combat and kills them, he creates an Advantage (Terrified) with one free tag on all enemies that can feel fear and were able to see the attack take place.
MEGA-STUNT: The Strongest One There Is - Jaxus is absolutely stronger and tougher than any other human (Physique), at the cost of being easily provoked (vulnerable to mental influence).
On Raven's Black Wings: Jaxus gains +2 to Create or Overcome Advantages using Athletics to run or leap.
MEGA-STUNT: Man-Mountain of Muscle (3 benefits)
Benefit 1: Ruggedly Handsome - Jaxus gains +2 to create and overcome social Advantages if the other party is a woman (or suitably inclined man.)
Benefit 2: Might Makes Right - In situations that it is warranted, Jaxus may use Combat or Physique in place of Rapport.
Benefit 3: Armor of Swole - Jaxus has innate Armor:2 against attacks due to being improbably strong and hardy.
Drawback: Jaxus is physically unable to fit into small places or ride normal steeds due to his size and weight, in addition to the social implications of being a gigantic barbarian.
I Cast Fist: Jaxus' attacks, while non-magical, can strike targets that would normally only be affected by magic. In addition, Jaxus gains Weapon:1 in addition to any existing Weapon rating when striking a wizard or other magic-wielder.

Jaxus stood in the courtyard, greatsword in hand. He was cornered - seven men, in full armor. But to corner a bear is to invite its wrath, and that is where Jaxus excelled.

How had he gotten there, though? His head pounded as he glared at the encroaching guards, blade pointed down in a defensive posture.

"Hold, assassin!" their captain shouted. Jaxus flashed back through the last two hours as he tried to put events together in his haze.

Two hours ago...

The Governor's daughter was as beautiful as had been described. Her pale skin and soft red hair entranced him as they kissed and retreated to her chambers.

One hour ago...

Finally exhausted, the barbarian lay in her bed as she fetched a flagon of wine for him. As she poured it into the cup, their eyes met - a look of warmth and emotion that would be burned in his mind forever.

He drank deeply of the wine, and his head swam. Surely, it had been the strongest drink he'd ever tasted.

No, his mind said. Drugged. Powerful sleeping-herbs, the tools of witches and poisoners.

He watched her lay next to him, curling against his massive frame as she snored herself to sleep. His head throbbed, his vision blurred.

The flagon hit the hard floor, shattering.

Ten minutes ago...

She was dead. Her throat had been slit. Jaxus had seen enough of battle to know that the wound could only have been caused by a razor-keen, thin-bladed dagger. Her blood had been haphazardly smeared across the blade of his massive greatsword, and the scabbard had been flung to the other side of the room.

He looked on with sadness at her still form in the sheets. Her skin seemed paler, her hair more dull and lifeless, a pool of crimson matting it to the fluffy pillows too large for even Jaxus to hold.

The door burst open, a guard frantically shouting.

"Young mistress, your betrothed, he's been..." he trailed off, observing the scene.

"ASSASSIN!" he yelled. Jaxus launched to his feet, seizing his blade and rolling to his scabbard. He bashed the guard upside the head with the scabbard, leaving him unconscious, but alive, and dove from the window.

He crashed down, two floors later, in the courtyard, to find guards pouring out of every door, panicking about a killer in the dining hall and a disrespectful girl who'd insulted a noblewoman, when they saw him, and the gravity of the situation hit them.

Assassin. How he hated the word. He did not kill outside of battle or hunting. There was no glory in murder, and no honorable death in being killed in one's sleep.

Now...

He drove the point of his massive blade into the dirt with one hand, shouldering his scabbard.

"I am Jaxus, the Son of Oberon, rightful Jarl of Clan Magnusson! I am no assassin. My people do not believe in cowardice or cold-blooded killing. Impede me at your own will, but I am not the man you seek!"

He flexed his massive hands, hunching into a grappling stance. These men were soft, weak - touched by civilization but never by steel or hardship. He would not kill them, despite their being ready for battle - he was no assassin, and if these "civilized" men would not believe him, he would show them through force. He COULD kill - but he would not.

His feet ground into the dirt. The guards took another step forward.

They knew not the animal they had cornered this eve.

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?

Ldsity posted:

Winston, the Ravenous Shade

Physical: 0000

Mental: 000

Aspects

Treasure Liberator – Winston is in this for the loot. He sees no reason that the rich should be rich, the poor should be poor and and that he should be poorer than anyone. His main source of entertainment is ‘liberating’ from others, but free stuff from an abandoned tower is nice too.

Invoke: Knows how to steal, can see an easy target, can see the best route to acquire goods
Compel: Steal from a passing noble/anyone with a loose coinpurse. BUT THE LOOT!

Good: Master (Un)Lock – After leaving the circus, Winston used his knife-play techniques for a new lifestyle: One that involved getting into places that he wouldn’t normally be allowed in. Locks, chests, doors, secret passwords, etc. Nothing couldn't be opened if enough 'persuasion' was used.

Invoke: Learn passwords, open doors, chests using knives to 'pick locks.'
Compel: Jam/break locks in an obvious/loud manner, can't be re-locked.

Fair: The Forgettable Face Everyone Remembers – Winston is not the most alluring man to the womenfolk. But, he knows how to be the life of the party. Whether through juggling, cracking jokes or instigating a good old-fashioned brawl, Winston’s antics are rarely forgotten, even if everyone is too unconscious to remember who started it.

Invoke: That can't be the same guy, Get a crowd riled up
Compel: I don't remember you, Ew! you're gross, He's the one who started the brawl!

Average: Don’t Catch the Pointy End – In the circus, sometimes you lived a clean life. Performing for money, entertaining the children, placate the drunken masses. Sounds pretty simple. Other times, the crowd just didn’t give a rat about you and your ‘family.’ That’s where it got messy. Cutpurses ran the crowds for ‘tips,’ thugs ensured that the gamblers paid in full when money was due, and every now and then, when somebody just wouldn’t STOP sticking their nose where it didn't belong…they found a blade between their ribs.

Invoke: Intimidate someone, know the spots that cause the most pain
Compel: Intimidate someone, Woopsie nicked an artery

Omega: Yeah, you do that… - Winston is no fool. If it looks like a trap, it’s probably a trap. If the meathead STILL wants to go in to the city watch’s armory for his favorite dagger, be his guest, go right on in. Once the commotion starts and everyone is focused on something else, then he’ll step in. Winston is just too cynical to believe people will follow through with threats of violence or power. Threaten to kill his allies? Go for it. Like you have the cajones anyway.

Invoke: Convince others it's a bad idea, see a trap coming
Compel: Why would I wanna do that?

Modes (26)

Sneak Thief (7) – Backstab, Burglary, Deceive, Notice, Stealth, Will

Entertainer(10) – Athletics, Contacts, Empathy, Rapport, Ruckus, Stealth

Cutthroat(9) – Athletics, Backstab, Burglary, Combat, Deceive, Notice, Provoke

5 Burglary, Stealth

4 Backstab, Deceive, Notice

3 Athletics, Will

2 Contacts, Rapport, Ruckus

1 Combat, Provoke

Specialize Burglary, Stealth

Ruckus(1) - Whether by being noisy, using ventriloquism to throw your voice to someone else or just grabbing that noble lady’s tush as she walks by, making a scene is not a problem.

Overcome: Make somebody investigate that thing happening over there. Or here.

Create an advantage: Run through a crowded area hootin' and hollerin' or just knocking stuff over to make it easier for you/harder for them

Attack: Make a scene/cause a fight blaming it on whoever is attacking you. Preferably with some fine china/glassware.

Backstab(0) - Betrayal is just a part of life. Use this to do something unexpected. Like stabbing someone in the back.

Attack: Get behind and stab someone

Create an advantage: Use your wiles in a social situation to set someone up to be a scapegoat/fool

Stunts

Press the Advantage – Use Backstab instead of Combat if an ally is fighting the same target as Winston. Additionaly, if Winston has a stealth related aspect on him, +2 to Backstab.

Nimble Fingers – As long as Winston has a stealth related aspect on him(in and out of combat), he gets a +2 to Burglary to steal small objects.

Working the Crowd – Winston is absolutely better at speaking to large crowds at a cost. Additionally, if he uses Rapport to Create an Advantage, he generates an additional free tag that must be passed to an ally.

Hawkeye – Winston gets +1 to Notice when looking for ambushes and objects smaller than his fist.

Knife Juggling Jacket – Personal hardware

Armor 1 against small blades.

As long as Winston is wearing this jacket he has the aspect Hidden Blades.

"STOP! THIEF!"
"As if," laughs Winston. He tucks away the assorted jewelry he found in the Governor's jewelry boxes as he escapes out the window, and down the rope into the lower floor's balcony. Some servants gape as he comes tumbling through and begins his mad dash through the estate. "How are all these people awake so early? After that party last night, even I'm feeling it a little." Winston recalls one woman who thought she could go drink for drink with him last night. She seemed fairly bookish and uninteresting until the ale and wine started flowing. Once the Lady Cottonwood remarked on the lass' bawdiness, Winston took his leave to find a new bauble or two from the host.

As he passed the host's daughter's room, Winston smiled when he heard that the bed wasn't as sturdy as one would expect from the Governor's house. "Well, that's one less person I have to worry about waking in the morning..."

Ditching the cloak he ''borrowed' behind a nearby plant, Winston walks into the dining hall to see a crowd gathering by the windows looking into the courtyard. It seems some leviathan of a man is being accused of being an assassin. Then, a scream. A man lays in a heap on the floor, the wood quickly absorbing a new layer of stain. An armored figure is obviously the one who did the work. "Wow," says Winston as the Governor comes screaming through the crowd. "Sure is busy here all of the sudden."

"You're telling me." A hand clasps firmly onto Winston's shoulder.

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

GM Fate Reserve: 12(?)
Troiya: Estate of the Worthless Governor

"You're telling me..." sharply hisses a being as they clasp Winston's shoulder. The breathy, caustic tone escapes the holes of a beady-eyed mask, blank and unseeing. Their hand feels stiff and rigid like tanned leather, prickly as though covered by fine hair needle threads. For a second, caught up from the chaos around them, it's as though the being has scooped you out into his waiting, forceful grasp.

???:
???, ???

Their clothes are far simpler than the rest, sticking out for their sheer dullness if anything. It appears soft, stitched in minute and intricate patterns, the kind of silk the fashion-obsessed would kill for. Yet it is not a cloth borne of fashion, but a cloth borne of the wastes, the cloth borne of a people who is used to walking in isolation, the cloth borne of a man that looks like he's about to run. And that man is staring at you, and behind the lenses Winston can feel an almost unblinking annoyance bore into him.

"What were you doing, skulking about like a rat-t-t?" Tiny, rapid clicks emanate from behind the mask, almost too quick to notice as the being's breath escapes through the holes.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party goes to hell in a handbasket. As the poor dumb bastard fiancee lays in a pool of his own blood, the Lady Cottonwood is ushered away from the table, away to the back surrounded by guards. Not before she manages to turn to Annabelle and spit out a couple of quick, venomous, if somewhat quaint comments involving dusty books and illiteracy. She may have been cruel but alcohol dulls all such notions of cleverness. Regardless, it is not her that is the issue, but rather her husband. Clad in the armor of an ancient Centurion, a tall man adorned by red, intricately burned scar-tattoos steps up along with his guard, each one dressed in similar garb and adorned with similar body marks.

Octavian Osirinius and guard
Octavian Osirinius
Aspects: World-Scarred Lord-General, Undercover Boss

"You lot in the habit of making trouble for yourselves?" The man wryly comments. Without even so much as a faint wave of his hand, the guard obeys his command, having already surrounded Aengus and Jaxus, spears and gladii pointed at their necks.

Artaean Guard
Fair Mob x2
Aspect: Light and Fast Royal Guard
Stress Track:
[][][]
Stress Track: [][][]

Meanwhile, the blubbering governor looks about like a ripe tomato. "What are you doing?! I want their heads! Their heads I tell you! Why are you not slaying them this instan-" A quick glare from Octavian just about knocks him over, the governor quickly scurrying away from him as fast as possible. Almost slipping on the pool of blood, and almost carelessly kicking the corpse of his previously cared-about future son-in-law, he dashes about the crowd. Doing so brings to light a somewhat unnerving sight; among the crowd of gathered officials are humanoids in dark cloaks, whose heads are covered in masks like ravens. Eyes like spheres of pale amber search across the room as they silently gaze at the proceedings. The governor almost shrieks upon coming face-to-face with one, and even the less flighty members of the congregation give them a wide berth. Everyone knows they are bad magic, and they whisper of the dark courts in which they serve.

They stand and stare and watch the proceedings, quiet as a servant, still as a tree, and eager as a playwright to see the stage unfold before her. Only a few of them are scattered about, but one of them is paying particular attention to the two figures in the back: whether at Winston or at the figure clasping his shoulder, it is uncertain. They are waiting.

The figure clasps Winston's shoulder even harder. "I said what were you doing, gnat?" they hiss. The governor has just turned his head to see the two of them, and you know he's just about to open his big mouth and cause some sort of trouble. Octavian quickly scans the proceedings, and if he's worried he certainly doesn't let on. "You two are under arrest for the suspicion of murder. You, lady, just need someone to escort your drunken self anywhere but here. Now, we can do this the civilized way, or we can do this the uncivilized way. I am fine with either. Or do you care to try and make this easier on yourselves?"

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 25, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus
FP: 5

Aengus scoffed. "Surely this isn't all that you've brought?"

Provoke to CaA; attempting to intimidate the guards. They're no threat! (Difficulty: 3)
Intimidate some guards: 4dF+2 1
Average roll. Not good enough.

The guards didn't respond. They didn't even waver. Aengus's smirk lost a bit of its edge. These guards were well-trained. This fight might be a bit more difficult than he anticipated.

He wasn't going to drop his bravado, though. Why would he do something silly like that? "You seem confident in your abilities," Aengus mused, "But I did what I was hired to do. If that is enough to arrest me, and not the man who hired me as well, I must protest this injustice."

Aengus smiled, "And we both know how injustices are dealt with by men like ourselves," he brandished his blade, "Come then! Let us clash, and learn who is truly just!"

After all, the hero always has justice on his side.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Annabelle Montferrand

"Yeah, well...!" Annabelle was at a loss for words. The noblewoman had said some pretty nasty things, but on the other hand her husband just got a nasty new haircut. Even if the snobby woman deserved a comeback, it would have left a bad taste in her mouth. If she recognized that fact, then she clearly wasn't as drunk as the handsome guardsman who told her to get lost thought.

"You offering? If one of your good-looking soldiers took my arm, I wouldn't mind~" Annabelle made the cutest pose that she could given the circumstances. A little hard to be cute under the current circumstances, dead bodies and all. But if she wasn't getting arrested, maybe tonight would have a good end after all.

Rapport to Charm a Guardsman: 4dF+5 = +2

Maybe it was the fact that man just challenged the guards to a fight. Maybe she was actually really drunk and lost her edge. Whatever it was, the guards just gave her a harsh glare. A glare harsh enough to give her pause and shrink away from the three men. Didn't look like she was getting escorted anywhere tonight.

She really needed another drink now...

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

He clenched his teeth. The armored man had already engaged the lead warrior, removing his chance to try to plead his innocence.

So he resorted to the only manner he had left - be the biggest and the loudest, and someone has to listen to you eventually.

"I AM NOT AN ASSASSIN!" he roared, charging forth. He shoulder-charged one of the soldiers to the ground, raven-black hair flapping in the breeze. "YOU MUST LISTEN!"

Rolling Combat to shoulder-bash this guy and take him down non-lethally.

[14:07] (Krysmbot) TempusBackup, /-//+5 = 4

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 26, 2015

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
Winston
FP: 5(?)

Winston turns to face the stranger who holds him. "I was enjoying an evening stroll through the building, even servants need some entertainment, my those are some nice silks you have on there, do they keep in heat as well as provide shade..." he drones on, gesturing grandly all the while, stalling for time. Who is this? What strange garb. Has he been tracking me through the estate?

Winston looks intently at his handler for something he can use to get out of this situation. Being one of the centers of attention is not one of his top priorities right now. It's time to leave.

Notice to CaA this being for some details: 4dF + 4 = 5

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

GM Fate Reserve: 12

If there were ever a time for Octavian to facepalm in anticipation, it would probably be now. But alas, he is not gifted with an Oracle's sight, just a soldier's cynicism. And that cynicism paid off by the simultaneous bullheadedness of Aengus and the defiant, somewhat ironic roar of "I AM NO ASSASSIN" coupled closely with the sound of thwacking armor and bodies.

Jaxus, you know the true meaning of that sound. That sound was the sound of a group of poor soldiers who had no idea quite what sort of man they face before them, nor the sheer amount of force that had just been slammed into them in clear defiance of their presented blades. Two of them were knocked flat, the third sent skidding across the courtyard, tumbling to a stop by a decorative fountain. A new set of guards marches along the balcony, looking over just in time to see their fellows scattered so lightly.

quote:

Turning this into a brief Obstacle. Combat to try and defend against getting clotheslined annnnnd failing it.
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, /+--+3 = 2

2 shifts of success, obstacle cleared.

Guard Mob 1:
Stress: [][][]

Thankfully for Annabelle, there is plenty of drink, if most of it a bit spilled over the tables and chairs and wrecked niceties that dotted the place. Too bad really, this situation is exactly too tense to grab one without possibly tripping off a thousand fights, but it's too late to avoid such things now. She looks, and she can see the raven-heads staring raptly at the proceedings. They watch, for she is right in the front row of the entire brawl that is about to commence.

And a brawl there is a-coming. Aengus, upon his arrogant challenge, is met with the cold, icy stare of Octavian, a stare that his guards interpret without error. Violence was to be had, and so the three of them stabbed towards Aengus, one aiming for the head, one aiming for the chest, and one aiming for the legs.

quote:

Combat Attack at Aengus because it is go time now. Two of the mob assisting for a +2 bonus to result.
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, /+-/+3 = 3
(+2 = 5)
Guard Mob 2:

Winston, before the clang of steel and smack of brawling echoes out, you see for a moment something of a visage of what is underneath the cloak. You see ripples, the kind of ripples that one without keen eyes would mistake for contours of fabric. But you know fabric doesn't ripple like that. You know the human form does not sit like that against a vest, you know that it should not seem to jerk as though it were antennae of a locust. You know that it should not, for lack of a better term, rattle. It is as though this being had bound themselves up in wrapping, hoping to hide some leprous malady from the world. But you get the chilling feeling that it is far too alive to be any form of natural disease.

Almost in a blink, the figure wheels around, letting you go just as quickly. They face the sounds of battle, and they see the face of the governor who is just a moment away from screaming. A chubby, short finger is raised accusingly in the figure's direction, out of petulant shock more than anything. It does not matter. In a second, the figure reacts, skittering to the governor. In a split of time, the governor's head is torn clean off from his collarbone, sent hurtling and bouncing and spinning from the dining hall and out into the courtyard, landing in the fountain with a meaty thump. But it was no blade of steel that removed it. The writhing truth revealed itself as those who had time to scream let out their wails; the weapon was a limb, a hairy jointed thing of gnarled chitin sharpened by torturous body modification, a thing resembling the broken leg of a giant spider. And the limb moved and rattled.

All eyes thus turned to the assassin cursed by spiders.

Winston, you revealed an Aspect: Crawling In My Skin. One free tag on that aspect established.

quote:

Spider Assassin
Aspects: Crawling In My Skin, ???
Stress: [][][][]

For the sake of tipping my hand just a little bit: <Krysmbot> AlanWhats, +//-+5 = 5

Conflict is now in session! There are two zones at the moment, the balcony/upstairs and the courtyard/downstairs. Situation Aspects are stuff that is within reason as well as the aspects of the Estate and Troiya itself. The sides are this: You guys, Octavian and his guards (mostly his guards at the moment), and Freaky Spider Dude. Both of the NPC sides are against you right now, but they are also against each other considering what just happened. Have fun.

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 29, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus
FP: 5 - 1 = 4
Stress
Physical: XOOO

The smile never left Aengus's face. These poor guards had only an inkling of who they were dealing with.

Defending with Combat. That's a Superb attack I see there.
Defense against the guards: 4dF+4 3
Hmmm. Aengus is only having a Good day. That's 2 stress, but Luckily I have my Armor! So 1 stress total.

A couple blows bounced off his armor, but one of them managed to catch Aengus in the face. "Dammit. I should have brought my helmet. Ah well. I don't really get to slack off against these guys," he thought, still with that grin, "About time I had a challenge!"

After recoiling from the blow to his visage, Aengus roared in mock rage. It was time to teach these men a lesson in picking fights.

That's a Combat Attack. Look out!
My turn to attack: 4dF+4 5
Superb is acceptable, but I want to tag Knight in Shining Armor to make that Epic (7).

Secure in the knowledge that his armor would protect him, Aengus put all his effort into a heavy overhand swing. A guard or two might die in this fight, but he hoped that he could end this fight with them bleeding, rather than dying.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

FP: 4

Jaxus roared with fury at the men on the balcony angling down to meet his gaze. He lifted the nearest unfortunate guard, and hurled him in their general direction. It wasn't a good toss, by any stretch, but hopefully it would deter them for just a tad longer.

Rolling Physique to throw a dude at another dude!

Original roll was a 4, invoking From Slave to Slayer to reroll, and...oh god, the dice hate me.

[15:21] (Krysmbot) TempusBackup, ---/+5 = 2

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
Winston
FP:5

"And on that note..." Winston sees that his former interrogator has successfully made himself...itself...the center stage.

Winston didn't even see the Governor react to the scything blow reaching for his neck. He doubted he would have even been able to dodge that blow without a new scar down his own face. Fortunately, between the screaming women, the now panicked house guests, and the armored fool still trying to fight his way out, the escape begins.

"...I'll be taking my leave."

An expeditious retreat is probably the wisest with all this hostility in the air. A quick jump from the balcony should be quick and painless. Getting there through this crowd of marks will not. If nothing else, Winston could get the initiative if someone wants to step into his playground.

Stealth CaA to hide in the crowd: 4dF + 5 = 5

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Annabelle Montferrand
FP: 5 -> 4

If the situation before was classified as 'hell in a handbasket', the situation now had no appropriate metaphor now. Yet another assassin was hidden within the crowds and yet another nobleman paid the price. The governor would join his future-son-in-law in the afterlife. Anna pinched her brow; the din of combat and the shrieks of the crowd were beginning to give her a headache. Not to mention those creepy people with the bird masks... did no one see them but her? Amidst the chaos, it seemed as though she was the only sane one left. Now would be a good time to grab her bag and head back to her room.

But... no. The governor was beheaded right in front of her. She watched it happen. What kind of person would she be if she let that go? The guards were overwhelmed as it was dealing with two individuals. She had to do something. Annabelle reached under the nearby dinner table and pulled out her bag. She couldn't sneak in a weapon, but she had something more dangerous than any sword: her story book. She pulled out a thick book, easily over a thousand pages in length. Anna never went anywhere without it; aside from being the source of her magic it was filled with her favorite stories. Nothing passed the time like a good book.

Tome in hand, Anna rushed to the poor man who was knocked into the nearby fountain. She wasn't rushing over to help him; rather, she saw that the guard had lost the grip on his weapon. And if she was going to fight, she was going to need something a little stronger than a broken wine bottle. "Just borrowing this, okay?" She told the guard as she picked up his sword. The guard wasn't in a position to complain.

Spending an FP to get a convenient weapon.

Weapon in hand, Anna held the story book out in front of her. She closed her eyes and began to recite an incantation. The book opened of its own accord and the pages began flapping wildly as if in the middle of a storm. Wisps of magic began to swirl around Annabelle. And before everyone's eyes, she began to change. And what came out...

... wasn't anything like what she had been.

With sword in hand, the woman stepped in front of the assassin. She pointed her blade at the man cursed by spiders. "Any last words?" The woman spoke, though her voice was strange. Ghostly, etheral... it sounded like it was spoken by many different people all just slightly off.

The woman's eyes darted across the assassin's figure, waiting for him to make a move. Whatever he did, she would be ready to react.

Anna's Mega Stunt is now active.

Rolling Notice to Create an Advantage: Ready for Anything: 4dF+3 = 3

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

GM Fate Reserve: 12+2-1

Winston, you feel the gazes of the frightened and the unnaturally curious wash over you as you melt into the crowd. Smells of spices and garish perfumes spike your nostrils, and in the crux of the chaos you know you are secure. All eyes are looking elsewhere, and you know that means they are easy pickings. Now the question remains as you swirl around the vortex of the brawl, which blade and which bone to stick it between?

Create an advantage succeeds, Advantage made: Wolf Among Sheep, with a free invocation.

Aengus, if it weren't for the fact that you are clearly trained in the art of the sword better than these ruffians, you'd almost say these guards were pretty good. As it is however, you have duly returned your strike with ease, removing one guard of his jugular vein as you keep the other two at bay. Still, they are quick and deft, and even as they stop in horror of the clean death you delivered to their ranks, they plunge their swords toward you, one on each side.

quote:

Defending with Combat, +2 from mob, invoking Light and Fast Royal Guard to add +2 to roll.
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+4
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, ////+4 = 4
(+2 = 6)
One stress taken, mob now consists of two guards.
Attacking with Combat, +1 from assist.
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+3
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, +/-/+3 = 3

Guard Mob 1:
Stress: [x][][]

Jaxus, alas, your might has projected the guard more into the edges of the balcony than you have into the rest of the guards themselves. Though the balcony did buckle and collapse, tripping the guards along the way, they still find themselves quite capable of charging. In fact, the sheer ferocity of the attack seems to have inspired them into a furor, for they do not sprint towards you but rather seem to leap like a great fanged tiger. With a downswing halfway in the air, a flying tackle with a spear pointed towards you, and a feint to the side aimed at hamstringing your legs, you now find yourselves beset by steel.

quote:

Defending with a Physique roll, +2 due to mob.
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+3
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, +-/-+3 = 2

Attacking with Combat, +2 due to mob and holy balls o_o
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+4
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, /++/+4 = 6

Guard Mob 2:

Annabelle, tales spin like thread in a loom, scrolls upon scrolls upon books upon books intone their contents and pour them over you as a waterfall. Are you you or just the sword? And for that matter, you are granted a brief moment of clarity. It seems as though the soldier in charge has gone about the business of making sure everyone files out and away from the crazy people, and the sword in his hand indicates he's not going to let the crazy people nearby. But still, what of the Ravens? For they are gone, all but one, staring intently, pointedly ignored by Octavian as he guards the rear. Naught but the faint patter of wings.

The assassin clicks and hisses at you, unsheathing the blades underneath his robes as he shudders and chatters at your presence. "Meddlesome witch-tch-tch, die with your saint-ts!" You knew the blow was coming next, but still it comes fast, and you hear the faintest whistle as the assassin's arm swings at your exposed neck.

quote:

Rolling Stealth to oppose notice check, fails. Annabelle wins roll. Advantage created: Ready For Anything, one free invoke.
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+3
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, +--/+3 = 2

Rolling Combat to Attack Annabelle, since she's conveniently in range. Weapon:1 due to stunt.
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+5
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, -++-+5 = 5

Spider Assassin
Stress: [][][][]

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus
Stress

This is a Combat, sir. One better-than-Good defense coming up!
Stupid guards. I will block you!: 4dF+4 7
Uh... I think my Epic stands. I'll take the boost Wall of Steel.

The blades bounced harmlessly off Aengus's armor.

Well, that was fun, but the warm-up was obviously over. In fact, based on what he just saw, he was pretty sure the fight was over in one stroke. Just the way he liked them. Aengus smiled.

"Now, my friends, as you can see, I can clearly take the two of you with no effort. Would you kindly step down so I don't have to kill you as well?"

I think we'll Provoke the buggers. I'm tired of them.
Intimidate some guards some more: 4dF+2 1
Add 2 from Wall of Steel, and Aengus does a Good (3) job of being scary.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Annabelle
Physical Stress: [X] [_] [_]
Mental Stress: [_] [_] [_] [_]

What were those crow... cultists up to? She couldn't get them out of her mind. Were they using magic on her or something? Or was there something her unconscious was trying to tell her? Their sudden disappearance sounded alarm bells in her head-

-which nearly led to the loss of her own. She shifted her body to one side, but it wasn't enough. The blade was going to cut a good chunk out of her neck. It was a good thing this form had a strong barrier to protect against slip-ups like that. The blade pushed through the magic and made a shallow cut on her neck

Annabelle Defends with Spellbinder! 4dF+4 = 3!
Annabelle takes 3 stress, which is reduced to 1 thanks to her Armor!

She was prepared for this outcome. He made the first move and now she was poised to counter. Pictures and words flashed in her mind as a million scenarios, all similar to her's but not quite the same, played out. "Unoriginal." Anna muttered as she followed up with a quick stab to the assassin's gut. It wasn't the cleanest blow, but perhaps he wouldn't anticipate a quick follow-up.

Annabelle Attacks with Spellbinder! 4dF+4 = 3. Using the free invoke of Ready for Anything to boost it to +5.

She was starting to regret starting this fight. Those crow cultists were up to something. Something not good. And while she was fighting this person, she couldn't stop whatever they were planning.

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
Winston
Aspects: Hidden Blades, Wolf Among the Sheep

Upon reaching the balcony, with some new trinkets safely tucked away, Winston quickly realizes a problem with his plan. There's another fight going on in the courtyard. The Leviathan and some more guards are engaging each other right where Winston wants to waltz right out of the estate. Thinking quickly, he quickly puts on his Distressed Act.

Using Rapport CaA to convince fighters there's a bigger problem: 4df + 2 = 6 to make the aspect Nobles in Distress
"HELP THE ASSASSIN IS UP HERE! HE'S KILLED THE GOVERNOR!!! SAVE US!"

Slipping back into the crowd, Winston watches the Spider Assassin confront a raven-haired warrior. As it strikes at her, she counters with a thrust to it's stomach.

"Oh no," moans Winston. "That is not something she should have done."

Winston rushes through the crowd towards the two fighters.

Ldsity fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 6, 2015

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
JAXUS
FP: 3

And so the guards attacked, as he knew they would. He reached out his hands, one to grip the incoming spear and the other to seize the arm of the swordsman at his flank.

Defending with Physique, rerolling the initial result of 3 using From Slave to Slayer
[23:57] (Krysmbot) TempusPhone, +//++5 = 7

Having seized them both, locking the spearman into place with his mighty grip and clutching the swordsman as a child would hold a doll, he swings the swordsman into the spearman to bash them both together.

Rolling Combat to smash some bros:
[00:00] (Krysmbot) TempusPhone, //+++5 = 7

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

GM Fate Reserve: 12+2-3=11

Seeing that, very clearly, Aengus is perfectly willing and capable of giving them an impromptu haircut, the guards buckle. They back away, scurrying quickly with swords pointed in your direction, hoping to ward you off from pursuit.

quote:

Rolling to defend with Will with a mob support of +1. It did not work out well.
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+2
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, /-//+2 = 1
Two stress as a result, Guard Mob 1 is taken out.

Guard Mob 1:
Stress: [x][x][x]

However, just before one of them could run away and disappear into the now diminishing crowd of nobles and distraught party-goers that has filtered downstairs, Octavian grabs the guard by the shoulder. Octavian seems to bore a hole through the guard's visor, and for a second the guard stands stock still. Finally, Octavian cracks a wry grin. "Get me my chariot. I won't take long with this nutter." With that, the guard runs off. Octavian steps towards you and draws his sword. "Last chance, crusader. You can still get your priorities straight, before the rest show up." Octavian vaguely gestures behind you, towards the melee that is ensuing. You can vaguely hear the sound of horns from outside the walls, and a bell starts to ring throughout the building, echoing through the city. They know now.

quote:

Octavian Osirinius
Aspects: World-Scarred Lord-General, Undercover Boss
Stress: Physical: [][][][][] Mental: [][][]

Jaxus, they are truly as sticks in your hands. You shut them down, swatting them out of the sky like flies and tossing them as though they weighed as paper. A backhand sends the guard to your side reeling, and all that is left of the other two in your presence is the spear that is in your hands and the sound of bodies crashing against an incredibly expensive vase. It is then that a call registers in your head, a cry of "HELP, THE ASSASSIN IS UP HERE! SAVE US!" You see the other guards running up into the shadows looking at your show of prowess, and promptly deciding not to challenge you further. A battle rages on upstairs, screams and sword swings ringing out in equal measure. It is then that you hear bells ringing and horns blowing, a call for help. A breeze bursts through the tapestries and the windows, a breeze that reeks of a violent sea. Clouds and rain are rolling in, and the sound of thunder claps in the distance. A storm is coming.

quote:

Defending with Physique and OW.
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+3
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, +//-+3 = 3

Guard Mob 2:
Stress: [x][x][x]

Congratulations, the manticore is dead you knocked the poo poo out of those guards. Success with style, you get a boost, you decide what it is.

Winston, well that was certainly a response wasn't it? You can hear the bells and horns in the distance, and you know that your call will be answered...just not by those particular guards. However, there are a few who have decided, somewhat questionably, to at least handle the problem that is currently upstairs rather than the one downstairs. The few guards not tied up with the brawl are now turning onto the assassin, being backed up by yet more guards to make sure the privileged are not deprived further of their heads. They may not do much, but it shall at least be a distraction. Of course, you are in the crowd that is currently being ferried out to the nearest exit before the situation breaks out even further than it has, and your window of opportunity may be narrowing because of it. You catch amber eyes in crow masks staring at you.

And then the woman in armor thrusts her sword into the assassin, and you see it bleed. You knew such a thing would end poorly, and now you get to see just what was going on underneath the silk...

On an opposition of 3, considering the guards are now very very unconscious, you Succeed with Style, meaning you get two free invokes.

Annabelle, your opponent screeches as you plunge steel into its guts, but what comes out is nothing like you could've anticipated. The blood is too viscous for a split second, like jelly. Then you see tiny dots scatter, as against all sense the blood starts to crawl upon your sword, and from the blood comes dozens and dozens of tiny spiders as though they were lifting themselves from a stream. You look back and see that its skin is splotched with chitin, manifestations of a dread thing's curse. The assassin is cornered now, and it now seems to strike at you once more with a blade in its hand, waving it in front of your face. However, from underneath a fold of cloth, a twin-fanged appendage lashes out at you, slick with venom and malice.

Out of the corner of your eye, you have just enough time to almost swear that the crow is smiling at you, before disappearing.

quote:

Defending with Athletics.
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+4
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, +-+-+4 = 4

CaA'ing with Stealth, attempting to feint and poison Annabelle.
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+3
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, +-+++3 = 5

Spider Assassin
Stress: [x][][][]

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
Winston
Aspects: Hidden Blades, Wolf Among the Sheep

Passing a 3rd free invoke of Nobles in Distress to Jaxus

"Don't let any of it touch your skin!!!!" screams Winston. "Even the blood is bad!!!!"
Passing the free invoke of Crawling In My Skin to Annabelle

This situation was quickly going to hell in a hand basket. Not only was there some strange thing attacking nobles, but now the weather was quickly starting to turn foul. A storm like this would easily keep people from going outside looking for assassins and thieves, which was fine with Winston as long as there was someone more important to find anyway. As he turned to leave with the crowd, he caught multiple pairs of raven-masked individuals tracking him through the crowd, which was somehow both fearful of being killed yet eager to see the fights as they were shoved out the doors to relative safety. Why are they watching me?

Notice CaA what are the Ravens doing? 4dF + 4 = 6 (7 if it's an ambush with Hawkeye)

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus
Boosts: Nobles In Distress, Adrenaline Surge

Jaxus' blood ran hot as he tossed the two guards aside. The sleeping-herbs were finally clearing his body, and his mind sharpened and reflexes improved.

The massive man, however, had other things to occupy his thoughts than relief at no longer being drugged. Those upstairs and observing the brawl had panicked and retreated, and now further cries were coming from upstairs. Including one that stood out to him very strongly.

"HELP, THE ASSASSIN IS UP HERE!"

Jaxus knew what needed to be done. He yanked his mighty sword from the earth, sheathed it, clutched the spear in his teeth, and leapt, knowing that Raven would guide him to a higher perch. His hands found purchase on the bottom of the balcony and he hoisted himself up, stone buckling beneath the frame of the massive barbarian now mantling it.

It was then that he saw it - some bizarre, spider-like beast, limbs poking out of its face and spewing tiny spiders onto a raven-haired warrior woman. For a moment, the giant of a man was reminded of his young sister, left behind with Clan Magnusson as Jaxus was sold into slavery for the good of his people.

But now was not the time to reminisce. Jaxus knew of the minions of Spider, the foulest of the spirits. And Jaxus knew that above all things, Spider's dark plots and many children feared the warmth and light of fire.

He charged forth, spear in hand. The nobles were so panicked they had abandoned their seats and table settings, so the barbarian continued to run along the table, smashing expensive decanters and goblets to soak the spear in their alcoholic contents, before shouting.

"Hold fast, warrior, I shall aid you!" he shouted, hurling the spear through a hanging decorative fire and aiming it directly into the assassin.

Rolling Combat to huck a flaming spear at the spider-assassin. Using Adrenaline Surge, the boost created from the last success with style, and Nobles In Distress, which should add a +4 to my +5 Combat.

<TempusPhone> !r 4dF+9
<Krysmbot> TempusPhone, ++/++9 = 12

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 15, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus
Stress

New stunt: Natural Leader

"Very well then. We shall deal with the more pressing matters first."

The governor had been slain, apparently. Hardly important, considering the man's incompetence, but Octavian did have a point. Aengus quickly stepped up and began barking orders left and right. It didn't matter to him that just moments ago he had been the "enemy"; he was in the right, so people were going to listen to him.

Rapport to organize people to safety. (CaA vs. Great)
One orderly exit, coming up!: 4dF+5 5
With a +2 from Natrual Leader, we are Epically (7) stepping up to lead! Creating the scene aspect The Man in Charge? with two free tags.

"Also, do me a favor and point out the assassin, wherever he went."

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Annabelle
FP: 4 -> 3
Physical Stress: [X] [_] [_]

Don't let it touch your skin! Even it's blood is bad!

Rolling Notice to avoid Poison! 4dF+3 = 3. Using the free invoke passed to me on Crawling in my Skin to bump that up to +6

Anna didn't need to be told twice. She let go of her blade and jumped back. Just in time too; the assassin's blade and mandibles missed her by inches. Now weaponless, the heroine paused to consider her next move.

Hold fast warrior! I shall aid you!

Anna turned around to see another warrior had come to her aid. The man hurled his spear through the air, which caught fire on its flight toward the bloody assassin. All sorts of people were coming to her aid now. Anna waved to the man in thanks, but she had more pressing concerns than talking at the moment.

Seeing the flaming spear had jogged something in her collective memory. Was this assassin afflicted by a curse or...? Perhaps it had a weakness that was written down at some time. With an entire library's worth of knowledge coursing through her veins, if there was anything to find she would find it.

Rolling Lore to Discover an Aspect on Spider Assassin! 4dF+3 = 2. Going to invoke Recorder of the World's Knowledge to bump that up to a +4

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

GM Fate Reserve: 11+1-3=9

Jaxus, your aim is straight and true. Before the assassin can even blink, the flaming spear pins him to the floor through his heart, the force of the blow shearing him in half. The hall fills with his screaming as his mutated limbs twitch on the floor, kicking and twisting around in his death throes. The scent of burning hair and silk wafts as spiders pour from his body, skittering and floating upside down. With a final sputter and cough, blood bursts from the mask, and then the assassin falls silent and still. He is slain.

quote:

Spider Assassin Yeah no he's...he's dead. He's super dead.

Annabelle, as you bear witness to the wretched death of the foul assassin and the squirming spiders who twisted him so, you think back to the many history books you have leafed through in your apprenticeship. You remember a King of Spiders, a wretched sorcerer whose name was seldom spoken. Legend states that he was once human, until the day he became one with a verminous demon in the darkest corners of some thrice-damned ruined temple. Now the King of Spiders sits in his hermit kingdom of Mesothelae, mutated far beyond human shape, infesting the land under his control with the demon's young. Trade with this kingdom was scarce, for his people were secretive and sheltered by myth and by law. There are rumors of assassins skulking about in the shadows, but this is no ordinary assassination. It was a blatant, bold, and seemingly desperate move. For the insular kingdom to act in this way could possibly mean something far more worrisome than the death of a bloated noble...

Annabelle discovers the second aspect, Casting Webs Abroad.

Aengus, clearly they followed your orders, for after all you are a shining beacon of leadership even in the brightest of times. Clearly their looks of exasperation were only looks of their inner feelings for their "true" leader and not an expression towards your sudden belief in your own shift in role. Clearly. Regardless of such utterly false thoughts, "you" lead these people to their proper goal, which is to lead other people to safety. Thus it was made so.

Now, Octavian stands before you, hand to his face for the briefest of moments before he looks at you, about to open his mouth....

Winston, the crows have flown away, the sound of their wings all that is left. Whatever they came to see, they apparently have seen, and now they are satisfied. You feel as though you were studied, but not examined like a piece of meat, like a potential stab through the heart waiting to happen. You sort of don't feel much about what you just witnessed them witnessing you really. Well, aside from the emotional reaction to that implication. It certainly isn't an ambush, but they did look at you with something resembling wanting...

Still, because you are gazing towards them, you also look out the window. The storm has come, clouds black and lightning white against the gray rain pour. You can hear frantic shouting in the streets, and suddenly you think of something. You thought of assassinations, and then you realized the assassin behind you was rather blatant for his job. More importantly, if he was following you, then he wouldn't be able to get to wherever the princess was unless he was absolutely, inhumanly fast, and knew this place intimately. If the beefy barbarian was not in fact the slayer of the princess, then could there have been a second assassin...?

Winston, you gain a boost Something's Not Right...

And that's when you hear an elephant freaking out, and then bricks buckling due to massive concussive force.

Troiya
Aspects: The Port of the World, Storm's A Brewin'

The entrance of the courtyard explodes as the unfortunate beast comes fumbling through it, ivory tusks thrashing as the great beast loses footing. The panicked shouting of merchants and passerby is drowned out by the rumbling of thunder, the clash of rain, and the scraping of elephant's feet against what remains of the tile. Upon the rider's saddle near the elephant's head is a man clothed very similarly to the recently slain assassin, only lighter and much more revealing in nature, revealing an archer's set upon his back. Though much less apparently mutating, the assassin's screeches are no less piercing, seemingly in pained rage from hearing or feeling the death knell of his fallen cousin. The elephant's trunk whips around, inches away from taking out the balcony as a gilded chariot screeches into view.

Octavian takes one look at the scene before him, then back at the crazy people that just ruined a relatively boring but otherwise fine party, and then smiles. "Well, I'd thank you for making my life easier, but right now I'd rather leave. Talk to you never." Octavian then proceeds to jump over the balcony railing, landing onto the chariot as he wrests the reins into his hands. He begins to pull away as the elephant's tusks knock out the supports, and threaten to topple the balcony over, and with you all on it...

quote:

Second Mesothelaean Assassin
Hijacked Merchant Elephant
Stress: [][][][][][]

So, this for the moment is a skill challenge before the "fight" proper (if you so choose). Roll against a challenge of +5 to avoid getting dunked on by the collapsing building in some way, shape, or form.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Hey! They were totally my orders!

Aengus
FP: 4 - 1 = 3
Stress
Aspects: Man in Charge? (Scene) (2 tags)

He beamed at the crowd. "Ah. It's wonderful when a plan comes together. Oh. And It appears the assassin has been so kind as to show himself for me."

Then the world tilted. Or at least the small part of the world that Aengus was standing on.

Rolling Athletics to overcome Superb challenge!
Ride the Balcony!: 4dF+4 4
I'm gonna spend a FATE Point to invoke Manifest Destiny to bring Aengus directly into this fight, for a Fantastic (6) result.

Aengus braced himself on the shattered balcony. The shard he just happened to be standing on slid directly toward the second assassin.

"And now the balcony is taking me directly to him. This will be fun!"

Aengus continued grinning as he brought his sword up.

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
Winston
Aspects: Hidden Blades, Nobles in Distress (x2)
Boosts: Something's Not Right

Having a bunch of fat nobles and balcony fall on top of him was not something Winston planned to let happen today. Fortunately, there was a ride out of this mess flailing right underneath said balcony. Unfortunately (for the assassin), someone was already driving it. And to Winston's benefit, that assassin didn't know that something else was in the crowd upstairs. As the rampaging elephant smashes a column out from the balcony, Winston leaps from the edge, intent on knocking the assassin from its high perch.

Rolling Athletics to get off the destroyed balcony and on to the elephant
I definitely DON'T want to be here Rolling 4dF + 3 = 5.
Using the invoke of Wolf Among the Sheep for an extra +2 brings it to +7

Ldsity fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 8, 2016

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

Jaxus saw the building collapsing around him, and the elephant charging wildly through it. Even a mighty barbarian such as he must stand in awe of the magnificence of the beast before him.

But awe did not last long, and reverence gave way to a display of strength.

Jaxus charged the beast head-long, his battlecry roaring louder than the collapsing rubble.

He smashed headlong into the elephant, bulging muscles straining not to lift the beast, but at least to move it, repositioning it to take the brunt of the collapsing building.

Physique vs. Elephant: 4dF+5 8

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 11, 2016

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Annabelle
Physical Stress: [X] [_] [X]
Known Aspect: Casting Webs Abroad

The flaming spear ripped through the assassin, completely destroying it. And what a horrible death it was; spiders and blood both spewed from the body as its limbs writhed in its death throes. It was enough for her to wretch and Annabelle had to look away from the sight. She may be emulating a battle-hardened, timeless hero but...

It was gross.

Unfortunately, it was at that time a massive elephant smashed into the balcony support columns. Everyone around her seemed to be ready for impact but she was only just then realizing what was going on. She shifted her feet and lowered her body to keep her balance, but it was a useless effort. The ground cracked and then crumbled beneath her. With a shriek, she fell with the balcony. All she could do was hope that her magic could keep her relatively safe from harm.

Rolling Athletics vs. Crumbling Balcony! 4dF+2 = 0. I'm just going to take the stress hit here, utilizing Annabelle's Mega Stunt to reduce the physical stress taken by 2 for a total of 3 stress taken.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
dont you die on me mu :black101:

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

GM Fate Reserve: 9-1=8

Through miraculous strength, Jaxus manages to wrest the neck of the beast into position, the screams of the elephant piercing above the collapse of plaster and iron. Aengus manages to slide right up to the assassin just as he is nocking back an arrow, and almost supernaturally seems to let loose a volley from his crudely made bow. He seeks revenge as the elephant begins to stand up and struggle with the grasp of the might barbarian, seeking to throw him aloft with his boundless, feral muscle.

quote:

Second Mesothelaean Assassin
Hijacked Merchant Elephant
Stress: [][][][][][]

I need to keep the ball rolling and things have come up that I need to kinda be brief so I'm just gonna keep this simple, Assassin rolls Combat against all of you except Jaxus.
<AlanWhats> !r fudge+5
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, //+-+5 = 5
Meanwhile, the Elephant is going kinda apeshit, and rolling Physique, with a Weapon+2 if he succeeds
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, ////+6 = 6 + 2 because of a fate point.

I'm sorry I haven't been posting by the way, I know I've been bad about this. I appreciate that even now, you still have enthusiasm for this, and hopefully I will fulfill your expectations.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus
FP: 2

Assuming I gained a boost from my Success with Style, calling it Iron Grip

Truly, Jaxus was the strongest one there was. But this elephant was a glorious beast, one truly befitting of Jaxus' might. It occurred to him that this could prove to be quite useful, in some way. Glancing upward, he saw the beast's rider nocking and loosing arrows at the others who found themselves beset this eve.

And then the elephant jerked its mighty neck, trying to throw the massive Northman into the air, presumably to catch, gore, and trample him. He would not allow this to happen. Not by any stretch. He roared his fury into the night, holding fast to the beast and pouring every ounce of his unmatchable strength into controlling the beast's movement.

Physique vs. Elephant: 4dF+5 6

With Iron Grip, that ties the roll and grants a boost to the elephant.

Having wrangled the beast yet again, Jaxus made his next move. Shifting his grip to the beast's tusks, he bellows his fury once again, into its face - a roar so loud, one might think the elephant itself was shouting with the voice of a man.

And he did what was most natural to a man engaged in a life-or-death brawl with a gargantuan beast: he struck with whatever was available. In this case, that would be his forehead. He lunged forward, headbutting the beast with a mighty cracking sound, and hoped the impact would startle the beast, if not stun it outright.

HEADBUTT (Physique): 4dF+5 6

Spending another Fate Point on From Slave to Slayer to bump that to an 8.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Annabelle
FP: 3 -> 1
Physical Stress: [X] [_] [X]
Known Aspect: Casting Webs Abroad

"drat it..." Annabelle groaned as she slowly extracted herself from the rubble. A quick check of her person and it didn't appear that she had any major injuries despite the fall. That magic barrier of hers was really helping her out! Still, no rest for the weary. Not a moment sooner than when she got her footing was she under attack. A person atop a great elephant began shooting arrows at her and the others. The arrow flies right for her-

Using Athletics to Defend! 4dF+2 = 1, which would be 4 stress. Going to spend a Fate Point to invoke The Eternal Legend and let my Armor: 2 absorb the rest. Note: Originally rolled to use Spellbinder but forgot it can't be used vs. Ranged attacks

-and she takes it on the chest. The arrow shatters against the might of her magic barrier. "Such a pitiful attack is useless against me." Annabelle's many voices say in near unison. She quickly makes her way out of the rubble pile and takes stock of the situation. Unless she was going to climb the elephant, the assassin was well out of her reach. The mighty elephant was her only practical target. One of her compatriots was... wrestling the best? Was that the same man who threw the flaming spear earlier? It was time to pay back her debt.

"Allow me to assist you!" Annabelle rushes the beast, filling her sword with residual magic. The blade, now faintly glowing with soft blue light, strikes out at the elephant. With luck, her magic would allow the blade to easily pierce the beast's hard skin.

So I still have a spare Stunt slot and I'm filling it in with that sword Annabell picked up a while back. It is Weapon: 2 and gives +1 to Spellbinder to Defend against weapon attacks (sword, axe, etc)..

Using Spellbinder to Attack the Elephant! 4dF+4 = 4. Going to spend another FP here on Last of the Spellbinders to bring my roll up to a 6

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus
Stress
Physical: XXOO
Aspects: Man in Charge? (Scene) (2 tags)

Question: should this aspect be gone?

Athletics to gracefully dodge that attack!
Surfing in Armor!: 4dF+4 2
Or... not. A Fair defense puts me at 3 stress, -1 because Luckily I Have My Armor!, so 2 stress.

Once again, Aengus cursed his lack of a helmet. Forget the job description next time, he's wearing the drat thing. The blood trickling down the side of his head from the grazing shot was an all too real reminder of his vulnerability.

But he still had his momentum!

Time to Combat this Assassin!
Sword, Meet Assassin.: 4dF+4 4
Great job, Aengus!

Aengus's sword thrust true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
Winston
Aspects: Hidden Blades, Nobles in Distress (x2)
Boosts: Something's Not Right
Stress
Physical: X000
Mental:000

(Assuming I also get an Aspect, calling it Sure-Footing )

Winston lands on the Elephant gracefully, despite all of its rampaging and the WARRIOR GRAPPLING IT!? The Assassin seems too focused on firing at the other combatants to notice Winston as it fires upon them with its bow. The raven-haired women's armor seemed to shatter the arrow harmlessly, while the knight narrowly avoided taking an arrow straight to his eye.

Winston approached the Assassin, knife in hand and ready to strike. With almost supernatural speed, the Assassin whips around and shoots at Winston...

Rolling Athletics to not be shot
Dodge an arrow to the "ouch": 4dF+3 = 4.

...which whizzes by his leg, leaving a scratch on his outer thigh.

"My turn." Winston growls as he slashes at the Assassin.
Rolling Combat
Slash: 4dF+1= 4

• Locked thread