Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm kinda pissed off I bought a $700 phone now, also I missed out on grandfathering harbor mobile unlimited data.

I guess I'll get the next nexus and FI pending reviews/sales.

Posted from unlocked, developer rooted htc one m8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Do you mean play music/YouTube red by chance?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Can someone on a 5x with a fi approved Oreo version tell me their version number, please?

About phone build number (not from beta switch trick from an ota would be best)

This is surprisingly hard to Google, I want to clean flash from the developer portal.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Javid posted:

I put my Fi on a different google account explicitly to preserve my Voice stuff.

Messages for web (view/send texts via browser tab) and visual voicemail (transcribe voicemails to text about 95% accurate) were 2 very nice voice features that now live on my phone.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Interesting article I found on my Google feed about fi;

Why I Can No Longer Recommend Google Fi

I've had no problems, but I am half assed wondering about the Xfinity phone plan (even though I loathe Comcast), or another mnvo

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Apologies then!
It literally came up on my feed... recommended news from Google.

Good job internet detectives!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

How much of a jump is a pixel 3 over a 2 though? P3 has a better camera, but the rest doesn't seem almost $300 after trade in better to me.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I use 1-3 gb normally mostly forums and non video websites.. I save Snapchat or YouTube and video stuff for home.

I suspect most WiFi is just garbage, I was on vacation and my friends DNS servers were Comcast and we were having all sorts of problems.. It kept falling back on FI, so try fixing those maybe?

At home I use Google or cloudflare DNS 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 9.9.9.9 works too or run a DNS test

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

To be clear, his internet is better than mine, but it was taking forever to resolve website-ip and timing out on stuff.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

To my knowledge refurbs only need like 80%+ battery health or they'd replace the battery maybe.. so you may inherit someone with awful battery habits phone and miss out on 10-15% of your capacity.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Anyone can use the browser based texting if you left your phone in another room or something, or couldn't hear it over headphones anyway.
https://messages.google.com/

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

LTE even sucks at work and I can't use the WiFi

I'm hoping the pixel 5 I just pre-ordered will help some, I doubt it, but I'll let you know when I get it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I don't want to be That rear end in a top hat but if LTE has problems in a place 5G will almost certainly be worse.
Yeah that's why I said I'd doubt it, maybe the improved antennas will help somehow still, the guy with best service here uses boost mobile, and there is a certain building that only gets service at all with us cellular so I dunno.

I mean I'm on LTE now, but it'll go to 3g or lower to none semi randomly

My shop has metal siding and roof so...

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Oh cool. Another web messaging page where I need to scan a QR code with my phone to login from a computer in a room where I can't have a phone.
I feel your pain.
I can't have a phone 8/10 hours of my shift

Google voice forwarded from your usual cell or some sort of paid Pushbullet thing then?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Uthor posted:

Plus, I disliked Fi when I had it, though it'd probably be acceptable now that I don't leave the house. Though my service would go to poo poo sometimes even at home cause it would switch to a terrible tower.
You can switch towers manually with dialer codes or fiswitch app.

At work I get 5g or full LTE tmobile outside, but where I take break I switch it to us cellular 3g manually because nothing else penetrates the metal roof and walls.

Sometimes it does it automatically all day, other days I force it because it really wants LTE for 2 seconds then no signal.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

My only real complaint about YouTube music is that it's not very aggressive about inserting music it thinks I might like into my playlists that it generates. I am just listening to the same songs over and over again which gets pretty dull.
Thumbs up or down one or 2 in "discover" once or twice a month helps.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

When I try to make a call, I get a message saying "turn off Airplane Mode to make a call"
Airplane disables cellular and wifi, you can choose to disable one or the other, but airplane disables both.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

It has to be hacky/a one off due to the nature of google fi using multiple underlying carriers. Once you get into multi-IMSI sim cards things get weird (I was dealing with this for another carrier recently).
I can get alerts from work, but they are sent carrier specific, so I don't get them sometimes because FI

I'm mostly on us cellular network at work, but I'm tmobile most everywhere else.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I didn't have credit when I got FI but then again I buy phones outright with cash.

The signal of your service carries per region but with 3 networks combined it rivals Verizon.

I got on a plan with some goons in the buy/sell forum and pay like $50 for 28gb limit.
They eliminated easy group plan payments in the app so we venmo now, so that sucks.

It comes with a VPN.

Buying direct means you're covered for any hardware problems for a year.

Edit: I use fi switcher app at work because going between no signal and 5g repeatedly is not fun, I'd rather have constant us cellular 3g in my no signal ironworkers shop.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I mean it mostly works, it just doesn't in some weird edge cases.
Having service when other people you're around don't is still nice.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've ended up having to tell YouTube Music to stop trying to download stuff and just clear it all out because it'll have the notification to download Smart Downloads or that it's fixing them for hours on end and it started to use up the battery constantly searching.
It's bad.
I force closed the app for this, but even that's no guarantee

There is an unofficial desktop app that works great and I use it all the time.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

I was kind of waiting for the pixel 5 to go down in price, but I heard it's bad?
I like it so much I'm gonna wait for a major sale on the pixel 6

FogHelmut posted:

Pixel 5 is good unless you plan on using the ear speaker then it's really bad.
The speakers do suck compared to the pixel 3, but the battery lasts like 3x as long, I've gotten ~10hr screen on time on one charge.

5g is seemingly straight up worse than 4g LTE where I live so don't switch just for that either.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I've never had a problem with wifi calling and adguard +pihole
Well not since I got a orbi wifi 6 mesh

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Pixel pass would be mildly tempting if I wasn't grandfathered into a cheaper YouTube red/music plan already.

Also the new unlimited plan on Fi is decent if you have it as a family plan. Some goon posted about a goon family plan I have been part of for a few years now, we split the bill with Splitwise using PayPal or Venmo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I went to check if Google store or FI store had better deals on the new pixels dropping and noticed that unlimited FI members get one year free of YouTube premium +music

Which takes a bit of the sting out my grandfathered ~$9.99 plan finally raising the price to $13.99 in a month or 2

It looks like it's $400 off for existing FI lines or a pixel watch 2 or pro buds on the Google store for preorder bonuses. With a trade in it won't be too bad at all.

I think I'll take the cash, the watch is mildly interesting but I'm not really a watch guy and my original pixel buds are still meeting my needs.