Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
so I really don't care about this AMD thing, but roberts was at every loving e3 the past 3 years hawking AMD products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDrIyOjEYRk

if he wasn't there in person, cig was showing Star Citizen/SQ42 products

this is the first year he ain't there and ain't with AMD in any capacity

so um

yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDrIyOjEYRk&t=95s

also wtf the constellation in game model is at 1.3m polys

hahahahahdsajkhdk;jahs;jlkhda;jlksh ;ahsd;jhas;j h;aklhjsd;h

oh he's also pushing 30m polys in a single scene without a whole lotta poo poo going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gGLE3USB2U&t=455s

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

You don't know anything about poly development.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

No - the less written evidence, the better.

How long does it take to burn all the files at CiG?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

TheAgent posted:

so I really don't care about this AMD thing, but roberts was at every loving e3 the past 3 years hawking AMD products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDrIyOjEYRk

if he wasn't there in person, cig was showing Star Citizen/SQ42 products

this is the first year he ain't there and ain't with AMD in any capacity

so um

yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDrIyOjEYRk&t=95s

In the same way "Enter Cockpit" becomes a laboriously long, helmet flipping, toggle flicking, crank twirling, button pressing cutscene that literally nobody wants to watch, even the graphics quality is horrendously over complicated.

I think Roberts is a details sperg, so he can't just give people actions or things, he has to get lost in the forest of the possibilities never actually coming up with a result.

"We need to have Cargo Hauling in our Space MMO!" put through the Chris Roberts filter turns into ships randomly exploding and 6 months of work trying to render every single individual piece of cargo, giving every cargo container a realistic center of gravity and having to place each item manually, before trying to model the effect of 300 bales of space cotton in 10 different containers all moving with the retardedly ultra complex ship maneuverability. Backers praise him for his visionary status of doing things nobody else has ever done, everyone else explains those things are not only impossible, but idiotic and pointless as well. The end result is the same, nothing ever gets done.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It takes three and a half minutes to do a full burn.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
If you want a vision of the purgatorial gaming experience that is Star Citizen, I invite you to watch Batgirl's latest episode, "Star Citizen AA MORE FUN IN THE PU"

So, early in the video she notes that she's running 2.4 on a machine that can run all other games in max settings with no difficulties whatsoever-- on her overclocked 970, i7 (I think), liquid cooler, etc... But of course her frame rates are terrible through much of this.

She decides she's going to earn some AlphaUEC by performing on the low-paying "let's go flip a switch inside a satellite array" mission...

She parks her ship an absurd distance from the array. Why? Because she's worried about being shot if she starts too close. If there's one thing Chris Roberts has taught players, it's fear of mortality. Death should have consequences-- and by 'consequences', Chris means teleportation back to a bed a bazillion pretend miles away, followed by indeterminable sprint-a-thons through generic sci-fi hallways so you can mash a button on an ATM machine for spaceships which you sprint through yet more hallways to hopefully board, followed by flying through a bazillion miles of pretend space so you can get back to where you were before that oh so consequential death occurred.

-----

8:45 - PARKING THE SHIP - Batgirl parks her ship in the space boonies and starts floating her way towards the array. Over the course of the float, she notes "I'm finding, the game... It's pretty much a boring game right now." Well, yeah. Parking your ship over two minutes away from a mission objective that is as fun as flipping on a light switch does seem a bit light on the thrill factor...

10:55 - ARRIVAL AT THE ENTRANCE - Finally, she's floated her way to the outside of the array. The mission begins!

11:25 - MISSION COMPLETE - Thirty seconds are spent floating through the bowels of the ship to flip the all important ON switch. Uplink online! 1000 credits earned!

11:59 - ESCAPE! - After some frightening encounters with giant pipes and a non-fatal bonk on the noggin, she's finally FREE!

13:39 - RETURN TO THE SHIP - She is back in business, 1000 temporary credits richer!

------

Now, lets ignore the fact that she repeats the mission at other arrays, and fast forward to yet another moment of such absolute absurdity that it must be watched to be fully appreciated.

21:51- THIS PART SAYS EVERYTHING - "In real life, I'm freaking awesome at landing an airplane! But I can't land a spaceship to save my frickin' life!"

Now, you can watch the whole thing from the link above if you want, but if you want to get to the final indignity she endures for the sake of the game she clearly loves, watch her make her final attempt at landing.

36:32 - TOUCHDOWN! - What else do you need to know about this game?

She spent 40 minutes playing and, so far as I can tell, earned 3000 temporary credits. (Please correct me if I'm wrong- I wasn't watching THAT closely.) A fun exercise would be digging into the 2.4 stores and seeing what that 40 minutes of play time earned her.

More fun in the PU, indeed!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 16, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I love how CR seems to think more polys equals more better. I don't claim to know much about video game development like some fancy big-city redditor, but I do know that responsible development of any art asset involves using less to do more. That's basic resource allocation.

I mean how ridiculous would be it if I said, "check it out, I used 3.6 million words to write this post."?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Landing not successful

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Guys, MoMAs right.

Reddit is trash

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
that poor gal

quote:

I'm sure it's me because I can't believe that it's them.

nah it's them girlfriend, it's them

dude you missed the best part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gEp8agP2tA&t=2228s

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 16, 2016

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Guys, MoMAs right.

Reddit is trash

Even a broken clock , etc, etc.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

orcinus posted:

They burn themselves. If they don't respect themselves, why should i?

It is rare and unusual, not normal.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

G0RF posted:

36:32 - TOUCHDOWN! - What else do you need to know about this game?

"I think landing just... sucks."

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
lol if you think they will be at any con other than the long con

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It'll be a problem. I think they can only burn 30 gig at a time ... no delta-patched burning in place.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

It'll be a problem. I think they can only burn 30 gig at a time ... no delta-patched burning in place.

:kiddo:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Well done Star Citizen!!!

May '16
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/05/04/wait-call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-might-be-an-awesome-space-pirate-game/#645e50693ca7

Paul Tassi posted:

Weirdly, after reading the entire thing, the campaign sounds more like Mass Effect meets Star Citizen than it does any past Call of Duty game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...e-expected.aspx

Minkoff posted:

I think in previous Call of Duty games, you had vehicle sequences and maybe underwater combat and various things that you engage in, but for us the exciting thing has been to create all of these sequences as a holistic experience, so now you’re playing as one character and he's a pilot, and you get to fly his fighter jet and you get to customize it. You get to command your ship to go to a particular location and launch out in your fighter jet, jump out into zero-g, fight along the surface of an enemy ship, breach the side of the ship, and engage in boots-on-the ground combat inside the ship. Once inside, you can scuttle it, steal enemy intel from it, and get the heck out and back to your ship and order it to another location.

And so much of this is without loading screens, totally seamless, so it’s a much different experience.

Minkoff posted:

Can you tell us about the The Retribution, the ship your character commands, and how it functions in the game?

The Retribution has thousands of people aboard and your responsibility is to them, your crew, while also to the mission and the billions of people back home, and it’s this very difficult, emotional challenge that a leader has, which I think is going to be one of the unique, interesting parts of Infinite Warfare.

e: there's even more

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-14-how-the-call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-campaign-actually-works

Minkoff posted:

As mentioned, you can land on Titan, and you can also land on an asteroid that's spinning out of control near the sun. You land on this asteroid to find out what knocked it out of orbit, and where the resources earth is waiting on to help rebuild its fleet got to. Not only are you worried about making sure there's cover between you and the guy who is fighting you, but you have the searing heat of the sun right above you to deal with. You can only move between open areas during this quickly spinning night cycle. So, it's 15 seconds of light and then 15 seconds of dark. It reminds me a bit of cult classic sci-fi Vin Diesel movie Pitch Black

no_recall fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 16, 2016

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

ManofManyAliases posted:

:iceburn:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Guys, MoMAs right.

Reddit is trash

Guys, guys, HAY GUISE! Reddit is CIG's approved secondary fidelitous data source.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I like how after all this time they still can not make it so you can invite other people into your hangar - I mean, it's not like some people brought heaps of hangar flair and internet space ships to show off.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 16, 2016

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Mendrian posted:

I love how CR seems to think more polys equals more better. I don't claim to know much about video game development like some fancy big-city redditor, but I do know that responsible development of any art asset involves using less to do more. That's basic resource allocation.

I mean how ridiculous would be it if I said, "check it out, I used 3.6 million words to write this post."?
But in the mid to late 90s poly count was everything, and as it's been established that is the decade in which Chris' brain resides.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Mendrian posted:

If you wrote 3.6 million words for your post it would piss the gently caress out of Derek and he would rant back with 8.2 million words just to say your wrong. (and don't you fucken dare try to stop him till he is fucken finished!)

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 16, 2016

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

If you wrote 3.6 million words for you post it would piss the gently caress out of Derek and he would rant back with 8.2 million words just to say your wrong. (and don't you fucken dare try to stop him till he is fucken finished!)

What would happen if Derek posted a trillion words and you just responded with TL;DR?

Would he write more? Would he destroy his computer? We may never know

Would it be hilarious nonetheless? Yeah, probably

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Ah, the old possibility/probability escape clause.

Its just a little delayed, its still good, its still good!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ayn Randi posted:

serious question is the term "FUD" ever used in any non-insane context because i only ever see it in relation to star citizens and bitcoiners willfully denying reality. Facts U Dislike indeed.

Gun control sees a lot of "FUD" being thrown around.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mendrian posted:

It's the same deal as with audiophiles. You can argue with them all day that "it's a digital signal, it doesn't matter how good your cables are at 'reducing noise' " or "high bit depth can actually make your music sound worse since you don't have ultrasound drivers" but you just can't fight the perceived ~fidelity~ that comes with high cost and fancy big numbers

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its just a little delayed, its still good, its still good!

:five:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm willing to wager a really lovely game that CIG will cancel GAMESCOM and everyone will claim that CITIZENCON will be the real reveal and mecca of gameplay.

"It was all planned."

"E3 and Gamescom aren't good for Star Citizen."

"Its easier to plan with regards to getting devs/etc at the event."

etc etc

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

It takes three and a half minutes to do a full burn.

:thurman:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm willing to wager a really lovely game that CIG will cancel GAMESCOM and everyone will claim that CITIZENCON will be the real reveal and mecca of gameplay.

"It was all planned."

etc etc

word

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"It was all planned."

etc etc

I don't think they're even planning on showing anything at gamescom. Just sitting there on their big fat unaccountable asses, presumably on extremely expensive chairs paid for by :iiam:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, you see, the problem is that you need a leader to start kindling but there are none to be found at cIG/RsI

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Kosumo posted:

I like how after all this time they still can not make it so you can invite other people into your hangar - I mean, it's not like some people brought heaps of hangar flair and internet space ships to show off.

It's fine. Since the hanger flair has a tendency to fly off on its own it'll end up in other people's hangers anyway.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Even the AI has had enough.

Pirate kills self with own missile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5eI0IRfUzY

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chalks posted:

I don't think they're even planning on showing anything at gamescom. Just sitting there on their big fat unaccountable asses, presumably on extremely expensive chairs paid for by :iiam:

So just a regular day at CIG?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So just a regular day at CIG?

They've been practising for years at this point, they're getting really good at it.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Chalks posted:

Stream Lesnick eating donuts for 7 days straight, rolling around a couch trying to turn over.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

hey guys reddit is trash but I like to have an account with plenty of age, just in case :smug:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lime Tonics posted:

Even the AI has had enough.

Pirate kills self with own missile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5eI0IRfUzY
Ben's secret anti-piracy code :lesnick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

alphabettitouretti posted:

hey guys reddit is trash but I like to have an account with plenty of age, just in case :smug:

The first time a redditor has considered older to be better

• Locked thread