Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Best thing about that smurf guy is that, if I remember correctly, he used to be quite the white knight.

Also, Hi Pratt2112, this may sound weird to you but what is you opinion about belts with holes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

EminusSleepus posted:

wait so there are more of them who uses disability cheque to pay for jpegs? well birds with the same feather fucks together lol

I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Dowlphin begs for donations through his website.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

EminusSleepus posted:

wait so there are more of them who uses disability cheque to pay for jpegs? well birds with the same feather fucks together lol

I suspect a lot of disability, welfare, GA, and especially SSI checks get shoveled down the coinhole to keep Roberts Wild Ride going another month.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

There will absolutely be petitions to 'release the code' to a hardcore team of fans who will finish the game

who could salvage a game out of this

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

EminusSleepus posted:

Why do you think there were/are spikes in funding on Thursdays / Fridays and first of the month? Regular autists dump their paycheck into Star Citizen after it hits their bank on payday and the most broken who most want the promised alternate reality where anything is possible dump their checks as soon as they clear. Which is typically the first of the month for SSI / Disability.

Everyone was posting that graph earlier about how funding jumped up 5x to 5,000 an hour for like two hours, it was when people were getting off work on payday.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 25, 2016

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Thoatse posted:

I suspect a lot of disability, welfare, GA, and especially SSI checks get shoveled down the coinhole to keep Roberts Wild Ride going another month.

I only remember him as being a bona-fide white Knight turned sour after the flight mechanic was not in his favor and him selling his black mamba joystick because he thought SC would be a joystick game then it turns out it is a freelancer 2.0

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
i dunno, if i was wasting my disability check i would more hope it was the "obvious scam" or "you, of all people, need a tight budget" that got me made fun of... and less where the money came from, or why it was funny i have a mental illness

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Jon Do posted:

i dunno, if i was wasting my disability check i would more hope it was the "obvious scam" or "you, of all people, need a tight budget" that got me made fun of... and less where the money came from, or why it was funny i have a mental illness

i think id rather blow disability checks on POGS than star citizen.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

There may be hope for these people yet.

They are getting pretty drat salty about the changes in the ships and pricing. The ship lost a seat, guns or a travel mode? well, tough. The ship looks better than expected? well, it is also 55% more expensive now.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Goobs posted:

i think id rather blow disability checks on POGS than star citizen.
now im wondering how much the average pog whale has invested

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6497795/#Comment_6497795

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323743/cig-i-have-a-job-but-i-ll-fact-check-your-ship-sales-prior-to-hitting-enter

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6497826/#Comment_6497826

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Jon Do posted:

I don't think anyone is laughing at mental illness or disability, and really we are just pointing out that this whole situation is like a snake oil salesman selling a cancer drug to a town full of people living on a uranium deposit. Enough people may have deficiencies that make them believe whatever they have to to make things better in their lives so they throw all their steady income into the IDEA and not the actual product or the results they get from it. The only thing that would make the whole situation worse is if CIG set out to do this from the start, but they just kind of accidentally started taking advantage of people, and then rolled with it super loving hard.

trucutru posted:

There may be hope for these people yet.

They are getting pretty drat salty about the changes in the ships and pricing. The ship lost a seat, guns or a travel mode? well, tough. The ship looks better than expected? well, it is also 55% more expensive now.

Well yeah, even the cultists have their tolerances. Some might hang on all the way to human sacrifice and skinning non believers alive but they lose a lot of people at the "What, we all stick deer antlers in our recturms and helicopter our dicks while spouting latin? The gently caress?" stages toward complete insanity.

They blatantly promised an ultra sleek alien transformer that was either a kickass fast ship or a badass brawling ship with two transformation modes changing the configuration of their ship. So cultists make Pew Pew noises and imagine that helicopter from the first Transformers or the planes from Robotech or something and buy them by the thousands.

Then it comes out years late and it's obvious they aren't able to even do what they promised and they hack in a minor cosmetic change to the ship model that is zipping around in NOCLIP and randomly exploding while every real effort and dollar goes into Wing Commander The Movie 2.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Toops posted:

Great post. Bolded line alone is enough to sink the PU, and explains a hell of a lot.

Heh, no worries sir...I'm studying as they say...learning from the pros (haha).

Somewhat boggles my mind though. They don't encrypt the pak files. Which basically means the fact they don't have a decent patcher more laughable.

Reason being is if they encrypted their pak files I could somewhat excuse them for trying to find a patch solution. If they were encrypted, basically changing 1 byte out of a 2GB pak file would mean a total redownload of the pak file.

Instead, Roberts is coming up with idea of updating individual files within the pak files. Which, on the surface sounds great if they were in encrypted land. But the bastards are 2GB a piece. So, the whole pak file would have to be reconstructed with changes and using that method would buttfuck your hard drive.

Pak files are basically zip files. You can browse them with 7zip or WinRAR.

Also curious they have their own crash handler that seems to never be called. It should take a screenshot and a log of the crash and report it. It exists as a binary and the call routine is in the engine.

All the XML appears to be in binary with the latest release.

A few public domain names are in the code and resolve with public DNS. Port scan shows them filtered up to port 1024.

That's about it. After someone posted the SQ42 Vanduul Ghost models on imgur with the last release they obviously scrubbed the assets. So yeah, they are paying the gently caress attention to places like this.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The only thing that would make the whole situation worse is if CIG set out to do this from the start, but they just kind of accidentally started taking advantage of people, and then rolled with it super loving hard.

To be honest, he found the promised land of demographics; people who were desperate to literally escape reality.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6496889/#Comment_6496889

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6497820/#Comment_6497820

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6498084/#Comment_6498084

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
"BUT GUYS THE STARFARER TURNED OUT BETTER, so WE should PAY MORE."

"I am upset I can not buy a condo in star citizen yet".

"I want to make my hangar a dance hall".

"They need to have pets you can buy in this game".

"I hope we can get new clothes soon".

"I wish we could buy more space plants to liven up the place".

"I wish player homes on planets were on sale".

Try to find the false statement.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Lime Tonics posted:

"BUT GUYS THE STARFARER TURNED OUT BETTER, so WE should PAY MORE."

"I am upset I can not buy a condo in star citizen yet".

"I want to make my hangar a dance hall".

"They need to have pets you can buy in this game".

"I hope we can get new clothes soon".

"I wish we could buy more space plants to liven up the place".

"I wish player homes on planets were on sale".

Try to find the false statement.

CIG should just implement some sort of eightball widget into their site so spergs can shake it when they want to ask a dumb question. It has the same effect as whining on the CIG forums anyway...actually probably less bans.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Pratt2112 posted:

Present!

Saw a post on Derek's FB page with a screencap of it, had a surreal moment of thinking "I've read that somewhere before", and then realized it was me.

Pretty trippy when that happens.

I don't even spend much time at mmorpg.com anymore. When I do go there, I inevitably run into the idiocy that floods the SC forums, and it drives me nuts. Erillion, in particular... holy crap. If SC fans are the Scientologists of gaming, then Erillion is Tom Cruise.

All we need is Tom Cruise jumping on a couch, shooting jpeg ships at Oprah, and the picture will be complete.

Now that I think about it, can someone do that? That would be pretty amazing.

(Edited, 'cause my Tom Cruise scenario didn't really make sense and I'm slightly OCD lol.)

hell yeah Rush.

Welcome aboard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

EminusSleepus posted:

I only remember him as being a bona-fide white Knight turned sour after the flight mechanic was not in his favor and him selling his black mamba joystick because he thought SC would be a joystick game then it turns out it is a freelancer 2.0

Long before I saw similar episodes like describe (a concern I share but don't act like him about), someone linked a post SimHQ like 3yrs ago of him spergin out about LTI. It was surprising to see him shortly after, buffing his armor on RSI but yeah the swing you bring up came later although he's still in for a grip as far as I know, and I'm pretty sure he bought new HOTAS stuff.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/70854/if-you-put-the-scythe-back-on-sale-i-want-a-full-refund-and-an-apology/p1

found here http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3855746/Star_Citizen_Rage_post_from_th

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/categories/general-chat

I hope Ben and Disco have a restful sleep tonight.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Ya I am sure that Slavery thread has them worried.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

wait so buying back your deleted jpegs will not have the same cost(if the price has increased) as when you decide to delete it? hahahaha nice one CIG a very spergtastic move again from your best in marketing bitch lol

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

Great post. Bolded line alone is enough to sink the PU, and explains a hell of a lot.

I know nothing about game development but if that means what I think it means, holy poo poo

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

EminusSleepus posted:

wait so buying back your deleted jpegs will not have the same cost(if the price has increased) as when you decide to delete it? hahahaha nice one CIG a very spergtastic move again from your best in marketing bitch lol

"As someone who has managed a pawn shop, I can tell you that you are WAY off. An agreement on price lasts for the moment. I set the value for an item as I deem it and you are free to seek a better buy or sell price elsewhere if you like. But it's a non-negotiable process and yesterdays value, todays value and tomorrows value may not necessarily ever be the same. "

Yep.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

"As someone who has managed a pawn shop, I can tell you that you are WAY off. An agreement on price lasts for the moment. I set the value for an item as I deem it and you are free to seek a better buy or sell price elsewhere if you like. But it's a non-negotiable process and yesterdays value, todays value and tomorrows value may not necessarily ever be the same. "

- Ben Chum Lee Lesnick

Yep.

FTFY lol

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Skellybones posted:

I know nothing about game development but if that means what I think it means, holy poo poo

What does it mean besides being incredibly inefficient?

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

arghh, common no, this is wrong.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Kavak posted:

What does it mean besides being incredibly inefficient?

means you need a hadron collider type of compute power and a terabit of badwidth with a ping of 0.01ms to be able to play it at 30fps

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

EminusSleepus posted:

means you need a hadron collider type of compute power and a terabit of badwidth with a ping of 0.01ms to be able to play it at 30fps

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

FrankieGoes posted:

Listen, buddy. All I know is my dick remained unblown, and it was because of that loving movie.

Lets be honest you were never (edit) going to get* blown that night.

Gradis fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 25, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they have stores in solar plebian, I kind of want to be a pawn broker in paarp space now.

It'd be like a demented version of reccetear.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Help us Citizen_217712 you're our only hope :ohdear:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ewe2 posted:

It's me I'm the fool

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

D_Smart posted:

And I can neither confirm, nor deny, that I am a Freemason. But it's kinda like that.

You're a Templar?

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
caught up with thread

cant wait for next cliff hanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnbH2XvCN7c

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

runsamok posted:

In addition to the two big fluffy Norwegian Forest Cats I pollute the thread with & the 21 year old fossil cat I posted, I've also got a little grey polydactyl dude who kinda looks like :pgabz:

He's a cat from a petstore in the super gigantic West Edmonton Mall so you can imagine he's a bit shellshocked from having endless people parade by, tapping on the glass, even now after 13 years he's still a little nervous dude.

It's a motley crew around here, that's for sure.

superchill! love it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ewe2 posted:

Every great troll consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The troll shows you something ordinary: a stupid comment, a procedurally generated bird or a photoshop. He shows you this thing. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The troll takes the ordinary something and makes it something unbelievably stupid. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to think you're better than him. But you wouldn't ban him yet. Because making himself look stupid isn't enough; he has to reveal it in a manner that embarrasses you. That's why every great troll has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige".

You can't troll citizens properly because they are permanently stuck in the pledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Just to make this perfectly clear.

CIG is making people appreciate, of all things, EA more.

• Locked thread