Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Daztek posted:

:laffo: These never get old

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4bu2k4/dereks_reason_why_the_free_fly_week_was_a/

You sure showed Derek Smart by throwing your money into a dumpster fire :allears:

I get the feeling that Derek is a huge investor of Star Citizen and he is doing this reverse psychology thing to this autist whales because they are so autistically predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

EminusSleepus posted:

I get the feeling that Derek is a huge investor of Star Citizen and he is doing this reverse psychology thing to this autist whales because they are so autistically predictable.

I wonder how much money Chris Roberts paid Derek under the table

E: Do you guys think Braben is in on it too??

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Risc1911 posted:

WOW! They threw away the Illfonic sound design, which was incredible and recorded it again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&feature=youtu.be&t=3275

"We recorded a brand new set of sounds."

No you fuckin' wankers took a microphone and placed it into the corner of some interns office then recorded rustling backpacks and Sandi's martial arts equipment.

Here is the original sound design Video: https://vimeo.com/138360203
Seriously, i am disappointed, i was expecting fidelity!

No really, this is amazing. It literally sounds like someone rustling a rucksack above your head and rattling a belt to either side of you. This is exactly the kind of sound that Bunnyman would make creeping around that corridor.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

Like a great philosopher once said, "The mind makes it real." These people are so desperate for the space game of their dreams, that they're shackling every hope and dream they have onto the first person to promise it to them, even if that person is totally incapable of delivering. The desire to escape real life is just too strong. Consider their posts - they can't conceive of a world where lots of people see that Star Citizen is failing - in their world, only Derek Smart claims it. In their world, Derek WANTS it to fail. In their world, giving Star Citizen more money hurts DEREK'S feelings. In their world, the game will come out. Their world is not the real world, so nothing they do will make sense out here where the rest of us live. Their actions only make sense in the context of the imaginary world they built in their heads. Since they live in an imaginary world 100% of the time anyway, I'm not sure why they need Chris's so badly.

Waiting for the point where a cultist actually realises what Derek is saying about the problems with the game.

"Thanks to PR guy Derek, I went to the CIG Austin studio and convinced Chris to step down as head of the project and found a competent lead designer to take his place! Hah! Where are your predictions of failure now?"

To which the only possible reply would be "Touché"

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Every great troll consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The troll shows you something ordinary: a stupid comment, a procedurally generated bird or a photoshop. He shows you this thing. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The troll takes the ordinary something and makes it something unbelievably stupid. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to think you're better than him. But you wouldn't ban him yet. Because making himself look stupid isn't enough; he has to reveal it in a manner that embarrasses you. That's why every great troll has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige".

You can't troll citizens properly because they are permanently stuck in the pledge.

This is a Good Post.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

:same:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Now this is what a game in development video can look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5OdR033_MI

They should keep this all 2D. It looks like the menus for the old X-Wing and Tie Fighter games. Clicking on animated hangar doors, etc

Risc1911 posted:

WOW! They threw away the Illfonic sound design, which was incredible and recorded it again?

No you fuckin' wankers took a microphone and placed it into the corner of some interns office then recorded rustling backpacks and Sandi's martial arts equipment.

:laffo: all that tail and echo was baked into the sound samples? Did they sound the same when fired in a corridor? Half-Life had clean weapon sounds that were modified by a DSP system picking up hints the map makers put in. Holy poo poo.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Risc1911 posted:

*Spoilers* based on the sounds, I was able to track down their updated player character model

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Risc1911 posted:

Just fuckin' clankin' a pair of grenades next to a mic, not even "pulling the pin noises" or "rolling down a corridor" noises just literally -primary school clacking a pair of coconuts and pretending you're a horse- levels of sound design.

OVER 100 MILLION DOLLARS EVERYONE

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

you will constantly hear the sound of your spaceman falling down the stairs

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen - Whenever Derek's rambling reached its peak, I'd just buy another ship

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen - Whenever Derek's rambling reached its peak, I'd just buy another ship

im confused as to why they think derek would be angry that they, the people who hate/cyberstalk him, are throwing more of their money away?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Happy Sisyphus posted:

im confused as to why they think derek would be angry that they, the people who hate/cyberstalk him, are throwing more of their money away?

Because they think Derek is poor and somehow is jealous of Star Citizen's $110million or I don't know :shrug:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Not that they're throwing it away (in their minds, at least), so much as pledging it to their Supreme Leader Chris Roberts, in absolute confidence that he will make the BDSSE, and to spite Derek.

They think Derek is just jelly that no one plays his games, and that Christ Roberts has $110+ million to develop Star Citizen.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Happy Sisyphus posted:

I'm trying to imagine what my 2001 self would have said to the concept of people doing anything to spite Derek, let alone lighting hundreds of dollars on fire, and I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to actually accept the concept as plausible.

People are hosed up, man.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Daztek posted:

I wonder how much money Chris Roberts paid Derek under the table

as they say "the industry is small lol everyone knows everyone"

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just to make this perfectly clear.

CIG is making people appreciate, of all things, EA more.

I remember a guy going to EA and spreading the joy via stickers and papers of sausage citizen. I bet EA are glad they arent bound to this as it will blacken thier name and make them the worst company in america.
And ya the role of oversight is essential because if not you get CR.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TTerrible posted:

They should keep this all 2D. It looks like the menus for the old X-Wing and Tie Fighter games. Clicking on animated hangar doors, etc

:laffo: all that tail and echo was baked into the sound samples? Did they sound the same when fired in a corridor? Half-Life had clean weapon sounds that were modified by a DSP system picking up hints the map makers put in. Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&t=3275s

The OLD system has the character audio straight down the middle which is the correct way to do it. The NEW system has every sound the player model makes panned out left and right in first person mode which is loving stupid.

If you pause the video and look at the text you can see they are automating the volume of each sound by the speed of each limb and the distance from the camera. Each sound is well recorded so you can hear exactly what it is - someone shaking some poo poo in front of a mic. Altogether it sounds like a bag of rubbish being shaken around.

It's loving crap, and I hope there's at least one other audio guy in here who can back me up on this, it sounds like poo poo. Each bone in the model has a separate sound, but once you get beyond 4 or 5 things your brain doesn't know the difference and it sounds like a mess.

In fact I've just realised that's why they've had to pan the jingly jangly high end sounds out to the sides, there are so many individual sounds going on they've had to separate them out, and that's your first move right there, panning them out of the way.

Really really terrible sound design in my humble semi-professional opinion. Toops please send this to your audio friend.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Risc1911 posted:

for the love of god, someone make a thread about this on the forum.
The sound was recorded in the office with some 3rd grade material instead of what Ilffonic showed.

The guys who are doing it probably have no loving experience what so ever with audio.
Sidenote : do you guys think squadron 42 would get the same treatment? Meaning amateur hour?

So far this is the saddest thing I have ever seen from SC. I mean I literally have no words for it.
And it also illustrates how hosed up this whole " development" is.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

Really really terrible sound design in my humble semi-professional opinion. Toops please send this to your audio friend.

Someone please look for a post on the official RSI forums proclaiming that this new sound design is "revolutionary", and the "most impressive sound design I have ever heard in the history of games".

Because you know it will happen.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

When the game either collapses under its own weight or releases like the floating turd it is Braben should give out free copies of the base E:D to celebrate. By then the base game would be dirt cheap and you can get people to buy the dlcs for more profit.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Daztek posted:

DB: "Hey Chris, I'm going to make a solid but flawed game with some dumb design decisions and crap marketing. Do you think you could do something so absolutely poo poo it'll make me look like a developer god in comparison?"

CR: "Whoosh spreeaow shhhhpptt fwoom." /waves hands around

DB: "Yeah, just like that Chris. Just like that."

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

D1E posted:

Someone please look for a post on the official RSI forums proclaiming that this new sound design is "revolutionary", and the "most impressive sound design I have ever heard in the history of games".

Because you know it will happen.

Ask and yee shall receive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Wait, I'm confused. Why are they recording sound when they could just engineer a state of the art acoustic simulation engine to make all sound as it happens, procedurally? It seems like that would be more immersive and authentic.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Why are they recording sound when they could just engineer a state of the art acoustic simulation engine to make all sound as it happens, procedurally? It seems like that would be more immersive and authentic.

Please someone ask Chris if this will be in the game.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

Because they're short around 50 engineers and so now the forum moderators are responsible for the game's sound design.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

for the love of god, someone make a thread about this on the forum.
The sound was recorded in the office with some 3rd grade material instead of what Ilffonic showed.

The guys who are doing it probably have no loving experience what so ever with audio.
Sidenote : do you guys think squadron 42 would get the same treatment? Meaning amateur hour?

So far this is the saddest thing I have ever seen from SC. I mean I literally have no words for it.
And it also illustrates how hosed up this whole " development" is.

Honestly, you can get away with that recording setup, although having the mic in the corner of the room is a bit odd. I've used a shotgun to record a vocal track in a room like that back when I didn't know what I was doing. You can pretty much get away with it for little sounds like that.

If they knew what they were doing they'd have a foley artist come in and perform to their animations. Those guys and girls are seriously talented with super sharp timing. Taking a big loving rustling noise and leather sounds and putting one on each moving anim bone and expecting it to sound good? GET THE gently caress OUT.

But seriously now guys. Every single loving thing they do is pure poo poo. poo poo physics, poo poo broken animations, barely watchable poo poo loving video promos of mumbling bumbling buffoons talking poo poo. poo poo flight model. poo poo environment design. And now poo poo audio design.

All poo poo, all of it. All pure loving poo poo. A total disaster, a laughing stock, a money pit, a trainwreck.

Long may it continue.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

quote:

CIG if i'm not mistaken have three offices full of developers and because those offices are located in different timezones each work is passed to another office at workday end. So basically all development is constantly in progress and this mean that 3 years of development is equal to 9 years :) ... such thinking gives me hopes for squadron release in late 2016 or begining of 2017

A few pages back but this one is fantastic and should not be overlooked.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I'm the guy who decided to put the professionally recorded sounds of actual weapons being fired in different acoustic situations in the bin and jingle some keys and a bag in front of a mic instead

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

cocaine dad show posted:

I'm the guy who decided to put the professionally recorded sounds of actual weapons being fired in different acoustic situations in the bin and jingle some keys and a bag in front of a mic instead

Are you Chris Roberts???

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SomethingJones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&t=3275s

The OLD system has the character audio straight down the middle which is the correct way to do it. The NEW system has every sound the player model makes panned out left and right in first person mode which is loving stupid.

If you pause the video and look at the text you can see they are automating the volume of each sound by the speed of each limb and the distance from the camera. Each sound is well recorded so you can hear exactly what it is - someone shaking some poo poo in front of a mic. Altogether it sounds like a bag of rubbish being shaken around.

It's loving crap, and I hope there's at least one other audio guy in here who can back me up on this, it sounds like poo poo. Each bone in the model has a separate sound, but once you get beyond 4 or 5 things your brain doesn't know the difference and it sounds like a mess.

In fact I've just realised that's why they've had to pan the jingly jangly high end sounds out to the sides, there are so many individual sounds going on they've had to separate them out, and that's your first move right there, panning them out of the way.

Toops audio friend is completely out of SCs league. I would like their take on this too.

What a loving shitshow.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Even so, who the hell get the bright idea to put a jingly bell sound on movement?
It sounds like Santa in space.

STAR CITIZEN - Just when you thought it couldn't be worse.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
@Dsmart woke up with some fire in his gut cause he's going off on twitter right now.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/713345642622558208

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

canepazzo posted:

A few pages back but this one is fantastic and should not be overlooked.

:lol: G0RF, you need to update you graph

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Chalks posted:

Hey obsessive CIG fans - please keep doing this. Seriously. If your burning hatred for anyone who disagrees with you is so strong that this seems like a good idea, then the life lesson you'll learn at the end of this will be worth every penny, trust me.

It never fails to amaze me how badly these guys are able to miss the entire point of all the criticisms. CIG have basically infinite money but can't produce a solid game due to management incompetence, yet they somehow thing that giving them more money is relevant. It's like building a castle on quicksand and when someone points out that it's going to collapse they say "I'll show you!" and add more bricks.

How does it even make sense in their head?

Yes this is something I ve also seen a lot. These guys seem to think that the only variable worth tracking is cash inflow. They somehow asume that given enough cash anything is possible. Many of these cultist can not even comtemplate the possibility that CIG does not have the right management wisdom and the technical competence or tools to deliver the dream. In their minds, with enough cash, it is all a given.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I remember when I first downloaded and tried out the PTU. I sat there, experiencing the head bob, motion blur, unskippable animations, and I was just bemused. I remember squinting and getting a confused look on my face, to the point my wife noticed and asked me, "What's that face for - what are you looking at?" and my response, "I'm not sure yet."

I tried to see what the fuss was about, and all I got was a bad experience. I don't mean "I threw up on the roller-coaster" bad experience - I mean "I didn't find out until the following morning she was a man" bad experience. The PTU is horrifyingly, stupefyingly bad. I had suspected something was wrong with the project for a long time, but once I saw what they'd gotten done, I knew all bets were off.

In a sane world, the very day the PTU was released should have also marked the day of the very last dollar they ever raised. The fact that the funding has not come to a full stop is irrefutable evidence of rampant mental problems among his backer base. People should get on that server, gently caress about a bit, look up with a grin and say, "You're kidding, right? This is a parody or something, get out." And you have to say, "No, I'm sorry, this is really the game. There is a parody one, but it's actually better than this. I'm afraid this is honestly what they built." But that isn't what happens. They log in, cream their pants, and throw more money at CIG.

I have zero sympathy for anyone running this company. It may have started as an honest endeavor, but it's not any more - and it hasn't been for a long while now.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I remember when I first downloaded and tried out the PTU. I sat there, experiencing the head bob, motion blur, unskippable animations, and I was just bemused. I remember squinting and getting a confused look on my face, to the point my wife noticed and asked me, "What's that face for - what are you looking at?" and my response, "I'm not sure yet."

I tried to see what the fuss was about, and all I got was a bad experience. I don't mean "I threw up on the roller-coaster" bad experience - I mean "I didn't find out until the following morning she was a man" bad experience. The PTU is horrifyingly, stupefyingly bad. I had suspected something was wrong with the project for a long time, but once I saw what they'd gotten done, I knew all bets were off.

In a sane world, the very day the PTU was released should have also marked the day of the very last dollar they ever raised. The fact that the funding has not come to a full stop is irrefutable evidence of rampant mental problems among his backer base. People should get on that server, gently caress about a bit, look up with a grin and say, "You're kidding, right? This is a parody or something, get out." And you have to say, "No, I'm sorry, this is really the game. There is a parody one, but it's actually better than this. I'm afraid this is honestly what they built." But that isn't what happens. They log in, cream their pants, and throw more money at CIG.

I have zero sympathy for anyone running this company. It may have started as an honest endeavor, but it's not any more - and it hasn't been for a long while now.

"But they can't fix it if we don't invest. Clearly you don't understand game development" - A cultist answer to that.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Give them more money, shut up and eat your poo poo.

I'm done now, I don't even feel bad for these dickheads, if you have money in this you deserve to be loving mocked on the internet forever.

Hello Games developed a procedural scoring system, got loving 65 Days of Static in to record a shitload of awesome music, never been done before. Tiny team making something truly artistic and unique.

And here's CIG loving around with a mic in a backroom, and making something that sounds like total poo poo.

Pan all your player character sounds out to the sides in an FPS game, that's a GREAT idea.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Daztek posted:

Are you Chris Roberts???

so that's errr a pretty good question uhhhh, and uuh, so in terms of you know, sort of, the question, it's well errr, like, who exactly uh who, then uh, so this is uhhhh, who and so on and errr, so there you go, dunno if that uhhh answered the question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I didn't think this week could get any better, but here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLpYxot95Ns

quote:

This episode was wrought with technical difficulties. I had some issues with a USB hub with caused my video to fail and when setting up the call Ben and I were unable to get audio to work. In the end, I have Ben's video and Audio and my Audio. That is a win when you see
what it took to get there Here are the questions.

00:32 Ben is working on weight
2:58 CitizenCon Ticket Sales
3:50 Blade Sales Success
4:09 How close to a glades will the Blade be?
4:42 Can you race a Blade?
5:01 Blade pricing
6:52 If I upgraded a previously owned ship will I get the poster and model in my hangar?
7:43 Starfarer Pricing
8:44 How do the ship prices change when purchasing in game is enabled in the near future?
10:56 Xi-An Scout design changes
13:17 Are the Xi=An our allies?
14:49 Will our hangars grow with our fleet?
15:26 Will the Polaris Corvette have heavy guns on it?
16:09 What is the corvette's main mission?
17:17 Can you give the Carrack to Foundry 42 so it can grow larger?
17:54 Does the Gemini have both the fuel scoop and weapons?
19:01 How the UEE gets Vandal ships
23:39 What is the estimated price of the Polaris?
24:01 Can you give the prices of concept ship sales one week before the sale like you did in the past?
24:31 What company makes the next concept ship?

You're up SomethingJones :toot:

• Locked thread