Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

You do wonder how a hack like that can land a job at CIG.
This guy has no talent what so ever.

It's explained in his meet the dev video piece:

His long time buddy David Ladyman intro'd him to CIG to assist with the creation of the Ship Brochures and Jump Points.

-> I always wondered why their marketing materials looked like poo poo, getting a professional Marcom assistant with a strong Quark/InDesign background would have done a better job than that hack marketing "artist".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Daztek posted:

He does contract work for CIG

I wish I could be an Illustartor.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ideate posted:

I could go ether way really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ioaXUPgAWQ

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

runsamok posted:

I wish I could be an Illustartor.

Illustracer*

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D1E posted:

And the Ben Lesnick Annual Memorial Heartwalk.

Because in the Stimpire, your heart walks.

By itself.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Daztek posted:

Illustracer*

Illustraecr*

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
:vince:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Neither does Ryan Archer.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The MISC small miner is currently in the hands of Artists and they are looking to have it go on sale possibly late April, subject to change.

More engineering debt!

One of the things that pisses me off is that it makes sense to either 1) Have a shitload of different ships that are very focused in design since there are a shitload of different profession mechanics that they need to cater to, OR, 2) Have a shitload of modularity, and a lesser number of ships, in order to accomplish the same thing.

CIG has decided to do both. Just so that they can sell more of them. There's no need for a small/medium/large miner if you everything is modular. People can just make an Aurora or a Constellation or a whatever into a miner. It's completely unnecessary engineering debt and it's done solely to milk their customers.

Counting variants and Vanduul ships, there are by my count 103 different ships. That is loving insane. And even if you don't count variants, there's still a shitload. It's not like there's 20 ships and 83 variants, it's more like 70 ships and 33 variants. And some of the variants are massively different (i.e. it's probably not much work to go from a Mustang Gamma to a Mustang Delta, but it's a shitload of work to go from a Hull A to a Hull E).

Fake e: gently caress it, I counted, it's 66 ships and therefore 37 variants. 65 ships if you count the P52 and P72 as variants (which you probably should), but back up to 66 or 67 if you count the Hull series as at least 2 or 3 different ships, which you probably also should.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Daztek posted:

The only problem is that they should've restarted months/years ago
Agreed. If the burn rate is real and they really only have a quarter's worth of cash left, there is no way to right this sinking ship. They should've scrapped Cryengine altogether and built their own from the ground up years ago. Now they're just going to spin their wheels until the money runs out.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

I'm open to any/all loading screen lore/quote suggestions. This could be a huge source of gold.

Please join the Quip and post it there. hrrp://samizdata.quip.com

A LOT easier than poring through the thread. And we all like Toops and want to make his life earier, right?

(P.S. I only named it that as I had it BEFORE SP came around.)

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Samizdata posted:

Give you one guess on one of them, and it ISN'T Derek.

"Ryan is the king of getting things done (and very well) in super tight deadlines."

I wonder if there's any particular reason he can be so efficient!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Daztek posted:

He does contract work for CIG
They hire him for character assassinations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SelenicMartian posted:

They hire him for character assassinations.

asstracinations more like

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
gently caress I promised Derek no Ryan today :(

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Agrajag posted:

context bro i need it

The context is an interview he did recently where he considered stuff like Witcher III and Skyrim as kind of “meh”, implying that if he tried his hand at at, the result would be much better, and where he cited Rockstar as the only studio he could think of that could conceivably (but not very likely) do the same quality work as CIG does.

He was pronounced braindead on the scene and Scruffpuff has been on a bit of a tear ever since.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Toops posted:

I watched parts of it. TBH, re-writing the PU from scratch is the best idea Crobberts has had in all the time I've followed this loving poo poo show.

I'm actually a strong believer in the prototype system. You write the system once, give it your best, but you just don't know enough to get it right. Then, you take what you've learned and re-write it, properly this time.

As long as they don't run out of money, it's the right thing to do. As it stands, they just can't make any progress whatsoever in their lovely hosed up buttmess that is the Star Citizen codebase.

The problem being that they've already spent 4.5 3 1.5 years and probably 90+ million dollars getting to where they are now, soooo...

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Tippis posted:

The context is an interview he did recently where he considered stuff like Witcher III and Skyrim as kind of “meh”, implying that if he tried his hand at at, the result would be much better, and where he cited Rockstar as the only studio he could think of that could conceivably (but not very likely) do the same quality work as CIG does.

He was pronounced braindead on the scene and Scruffpuff has been on a bit of a tear ever since.

lol that loving mush mouth never ceases to self own

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tippis posted:

The worst was him comparing his visuals to The Order 1886. It's okay, though. He was clearly high as gently caress when he said it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Give you one guess on one of them, and it ISN'T Derek.

lmao

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

boviscopophobic posted:

"Ryan is the king of getting things done (and very well) in super tight deadlines."

I wonder if there's any particular reason he can be so efficient!
It's also funny because his "work" looks like absolute poo poo which says a lot about those at CIG who praise him.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Same as all the other hacks at CIG.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
Ryan Archer must be sweating buckets right now because he has to create something original lmao.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's a shame he's Ryan and not Richard.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Kinbote posted:

Ryan Archer must be sweating buckets right now because he has to create something original lmao.

how can I create something if its not there to trace tho

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Kinbote posted:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lord Kinbote posted:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

I could've sworn your avatar said ~30000 days earlier today

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sillybones posted:

The worst was him comparing his visuals to The Order 1886. It's okay, though. He was clearly high as gently caress when he said it.

It's also telling that he made that comparison. It's a game with decent enough graphics, but with gameplay and design that is widely pronounced as some of the worst in recent history. Is it any wonder that it ended up on Chris' radar? I doubt the man has any conception of actual game quality beyond how it looks, and he certainly hasn't played anything recently enough to form any kind of cogent opinion as far as the actual play experience goes.

So of course a game that has had a big media presence with neat-looking screen shots will be the thing he thinks his game should be compared against, and of course he will have no idea it is he's actually comparing himself against and what it says about his product.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It was posted earlier in the thread that David and Ryan go way back (10+ years?). Ryan used to do the artwork for David's Christian web comics books http://cupofcoldwater.com/about-us/

Those are probably made entirely from stolen artwork too.

"Thou shalt not steal" (unless you think you can get away with it and it can earn you money)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 1, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Tippis posted:

What a fucker. The E.L.E. can't come fast enough.

Sillybones posted:

To be fair, The Order 1886 looked pretty dope. Too bad there was no game to go with it...which sounds pretty familiar now that I think about it.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Daztek posted:

I could've sworn your avatar said ~30000 days earlier today

Every time one of us reverts the GOKU moron's lovely red text avatar we increment the number.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Sillybones, that owns. If you could do some orthographic front back and sides of that I'd love to model it.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
"Has anyone seen Ryan? He left without a trace."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

With regard to the people being incredulous about them still pulling in 50k a day right now, I think it's probably accurate. Some things to consider:

Even if they only have 500,000 actual backers, and even if fully half of those backers are now in "I'll wait and see and not spend a dime more" mode (it probably isn't that many yet), that's still 250,000 people willing to spend more money on SC. If even 0.05% of that 250k decide that today is the day to buy (on average) a 200 dollar ship, that's $25,000 and they're already halfway there. Add in the fact that many of these people are constantly proselytizing and occasionally they'll have some success and some complete newbie will buy a $50+ package, and add in the turbowhales, some of whom may be spending 200 bucks daily, or at least weekly, and 50k doesn't seem that surprising. Plus they still have some kinda sale going on right, plus mousepads and other garbage merch, etc.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this has been a really good week IMO

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Why would anyone buy a keyboard with RSI written on it?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

pgabz brought his huey lewis forum enemies to my video :(

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Why would anyone buy a keyboard with RSI written on it?

My keyboard has those letters and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

:agreed:

The Pi dude posted:

"Has anyone seen Ryan? He left without a trace."

LOL!

• Locked thread