Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wrecked Angle posted:

Does anyone know if this RtV got transcribed? Because I'm starting to think my brain just can't understand mushmouth's dialect or something.

I've just tried listening to the same bit about patching/build revisions 3 times and I still can't make sense of it. Maybe someone else can confirm but is he really implying that up until this point they haven't had version control on code or assets? And why does he seem to confuse introducing a patcher for the client with compiling/building the program?

Like, I'll genuinely admit that IANAGD but to me all this sounds either really confused or batshit crazy.

http://imperialnews.network/2016/03/reverse-the-verse-march-subscriber-edition/

Catedit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fuctifino posted:

What the gently caress does someone do with reddit gold? Is it like bitcoin? Is there a way that I can give it to you, as it's your video.

I just had to share it in the brown sea :)

Literally no idea. Someone gave it to me for my "cig banned me" post on there and my only interaction with it was getting a message on there a month later saying it had expired. Welp.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

fuctifino posted:

What the gently caress does someone do with reddit gold? Is it like bitcoin? Is there a way that I can give it to you, as it's your video.

I just had to share it in the brown sea :)

It's basically Platinum for Reddit (But you have to pay monthly)

https://www.reddit.com/gold/about/

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Samizdata posted:

I didn't, because I didn't want to admit anything could be as cool as Maine Coon Cattes. (My little buddy is part Maine Coon.)

More classic catte action. Does your little guy sleep with his belly in the air like so? It's something I've not experienced except with my two NFCs, even other big floofs don't air out the tummy on the regular.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Daztek posted:

It's basically Platinum for Reddit (But you have to pay monthly)

https://www.reddit.com/gold/about/

... so it's basically useless.

I only ever use reddit to troll shitizens. I might troll their elite lounge and see if I can get kicked out...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

fuctifino posted:

I only ever use reddit to troll shitizens. I might troll their elite lounge and see if I can get kicked out...

Yep :D

I just have no idea why someone gifted you gold lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Imagine the most useless thing you can imagine. That's Reddit Gold.

I got a month of it once gifted to me once. I still don't know what the gently caress it is.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Wrecked Angle posted:

Does anyone know if this RtV got transcribed? Because I'm starting to think my brain just can't understand mushmouth's dialect or something.

I've just tried listening to the same bit about patching/build revisions 3 times and I still can't make sense of it. Maybe someone else can confirm but is he really implying that up until this point they haven't had version control on code or assets? And why does he seem to confuse introducing a patcher for the client with compiling/building the program?

Like, I'll genuinely admit that IANAGD but to me all this sounds either really confused or batshit crazy.

yes but you need to remember that this is a man who very likely has no idea of what his company has been doing on the technical side and appears to be on cocaine (or some other stimulant)

so its obviously really hosed, but I don't know that you can rely on Chris' words to give you an accurate picture of exactly how and why it is hosed

Maldavos
May 26, 2015
Grimey Drawer

"I'm single" How can this be?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't believe the incredible arrogance on Chris Roberts' part. This guy hasn't made a successful game in over a decade, and has a list of failures under his belt significant enough to put his net contributions to gaming deep into the red. Derek has harped on Sandi's lack of respect for people who've made their livings working in gaming, but she's nothing compared to Chris. Every game that has been made by modest, skilled, hard-working developers to push the genre forward is being met by Chris's absolute contempt. Yeah, ok so Witcher 3 was OK, he guesses, but that's just because HE hasn't tried yet, that's all. Yeah I'm sure the Skyrim developers made a game and all, but what till they see what he does. MAYBE Rockstar can match him, if they're lucky. Maybe.

What a miserable piece of poo poo this man is. He has absolutely no pedigree to back up the kinds of claims he's making, and frankly, it's disrespectful and insulting to the entire community. I can't think of a single instance where Derek talked like Chris does (aside from against Star Citizen, which he's right about), but Derek gets the lion's share of poo poo. Meanwhile Chris gets a free pass and a pat on the back from the cultists.

I'm willing to give Peter Molyneux, John Romero, gently caress even George Lucas a total free pass at this point on the mistakes they've made. You guys can all go free, and in my book, you've wiped the slate clean. Chris Roberts is the one I want to see go down - as hard and as spectacularly as possible. Sneering openly at people who are his superiors in every conceivable way, while pissing away over $100 million and failing at every turn, even at things I didn't think it was possible to fail at, is not forgivable.

Choke hard on that E.L.E. dick, Chris.

Agreed, Chris stands alone as the worst performing name in the gaming industry. His legacy is forever a joke and cautionary tale.

He and Sandi are literally children emotionally. It's Arrested Development. They are real life Lindsay and Tobias

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

it going good!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Daztek posted:

Yep :D

I just have no idea why someone gifted you gold lol

I guess SC is getting a load of outside attention, due to it being the literal laughing stock of the entire games industry.

It was an anonymous donation, but reddit allows you to reply to the donor with a thankyou message (which I did).

Reddit gold... something that has even less value than bitcoin. I learn something new every day. lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 1, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The MISC small miner is currently in the hands of Artists and they are looking to have it go on sale possibly late April, subject to change.

More engineering debt!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Thanks. Yeah, I read that and it says something about full builds taking 12 hours but once they get this new system then the client computer can build .pak files so they won't need to download the whole 2gb file, they can just download the bit that's changed which will be more efficientandnoneofitmadeanysense...

LGD posted:

yes but you need to remember that this is a man who very likely has no idea of what his company has been doing on the technical side and appears to be on cocaine (or some other stimulant)

so its obviously really hosed, but I don't know that you can rely on Chris' words to give you an accurate picture of exactly how and why it is hosed

You're right and I also forgot that this guy hasn't been involved in game development for the past 20 years so it's no surprise that version control is a new concept to him.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I would like to thank Factsareuseless for changing the title, and the person who originally came up with it. I think it was Ryan Archer

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The MISC small miner is currently in the hands of Artists and they are looking to have it go on sale possibly late April, subject to change.

More engineering debt!

be great when they implement mining for UEC when that thing goes on sale I guess

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

be great when they implement mining for UEC when that thing goes on sale I guess

man if you have to buy mining supplies from the RSI company store

that might be too much

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

I think SomethingJones transcribed a question or two? I'll do it myself today if no one else is working on it, this is really the tipping point for my perception of the project's health.

I'm no coder or game dev but the words he puts together technically make sense - the reality is these systems he's talking about are the absolute loving foundation of a game. These by definition cannot be continuations of all the spaghetti poo poo they have slopped together so far. They are trashing 2.0 like they did Star Marine because it was to hosed to integrate into a disastrously hacked apart CryEngine in 2.0 they churned out to deny refunds on the basis of progress

Roberts believes he will make it. He has to. There is no way he is breaking stride until his legs are broken by unpaid creditors. My POV is they spent all their money on polish and now realize they have no working foundation. Smart was right (the smug gently caress)

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Idea for Solar Plebeian:

An actual autism chariot pulled by horses

It's on the list as an environment detail, but I could change it into an NPC. Straight Chariots of Fire running laps around the arena would be funny.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Literally Kermit posted:

One of the Goonrathi religions is, of course, based around the teachings of The Smart. Their likeness is adorned upon the hull of their capital ship, the GBS Let Me loving Finish. Besides holding down church assets, it also doubles as a cathedral.

There, now it's canon.

Derek can we get the go-ahead on this ship and start production?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

Might need some work.

Actually, not so much. With the thumbnail in the replay, it could looks like that monitor was coming out of his hand like a laptop might, and he DOES seem stoner "meh."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

HexDog posted:

Requesting that someone create a picture of what the goon mothership would look like. I want to spam it to a friend who refuses to get a refund or even cancel his subscription.

The subscription thing is mind boggling to me. People bitch up storms about MMOs that have subscriptions, and here's a bunch of people paying a subscription and not even getting a game to play out of it.

I know they'll say "I just want to support the game, man!" but I suspect it's more like "I have disposable income and want to lord it over everyone!"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ideate posted:

man if you have to buy mining supplies from the RSI company store

that might be too much

I hope it's from an actual store in Port Olisar or wherever. Like you have to log on to the CIG website to buy whatever their premium currency will be (and there will be one) and then log into Port Olisar and mosey on down to the old Space Outfitters and buy your stupid premium Space Pickaxe or whatever

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't believe the incredible arrogance on Chris Roberts' part. This guy hasn't made a successful game in over a decade, and has a list of failures under his belt significant enough to put his net contributions to gaming deep into the red. Derek has harped on Sandi's lack of respect for people who've made their livings working in gaming, but she's nothing compared to Chris. Every game that has been made by modest, skilled, hard-working developers to push the genre forward is being met by Chris's absolute contempt. Yeah, ok so Witcher 3 was OK, he guesses, but that's just because HE hasn't tried yet, that's all. Yeah I'm sure the Skyrim developers made a game and all, but what till they see what he does. MAYBE Rockstar can match him, if they're lucky. Maybe.

What a miserable piece of poo poo this man is. He has absolutely no pedigree to back up the kinds of claims he's making, and frankly, it's disrespectful and insulting to the entire community. I can't think of a single instance where Derek talked like Chris does (aside from against Star Citizen, which he's right about), but Derek gets the lion's share of poo poo. Meanwhile Chris gets a free pass and a pat on the back from the cultists.

I'm willing to give Peter Molyneux, John Romero, gently caress even George Lucas a total free pass at this point on the mistakes they've made. You guys can all go free, and in my book, you've wiped the slate clean. Chris Roberts is the one I want to see go down - as hard and as spectacularly as possible. Sneering openly at people who are his superiors in every conceivable way, while pissing away over $100 million and failing at every turn, even at things I didn't think it was possible to fail at, is not forgivable.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

One of the bands at my favourite bar where I am just did a song called hail satan and it was about being late and that whole coincidence just rounds off a perfect day for me

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

:laffo:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

moveable shape posted:

Toops did you watch CRobberts on Wednesday? This slightly satisfied my blue ELE balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfQYKW7E-w

He jabbers endlessly about loving nonsense details but keeps revealing the fact that EVERYTHING they've built up to this point is being shitcanned and redone. I hear this as: all work to date on the engine object/entity system, net code, physics it is all 100% unusable garbage. Listening to that made my jaw drop, they got loving nothing after all this time.

You're an actual coder so what is your take on this? If what CR is saying is they've been rebuilding 'the new poo poo' for about a year wont 100% of the level design / art work done to this point need major rework? How they sweet gently caress are they shipping SQ42 in the next 18 months?

I watched parts of it. TBH, re-writing the PU from scratch is the best idea Crobberts has had in all the time I've followed this loving poo poo show.

I'm actually a strong believer in the prototype system. You write the system once, give it your best, but you just don't know enough to get it right. Then, you take what you've learned and re-write it, properly this time.

As long as they don't run out of money, it's the right thing to do. As it stands, they just can't make any progress whatsoever in their lovely hosed up buttmess that is the Star Citizen codebase.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4cxn4m/but_seriously_let_me_buy_that_big_bennys_skin/

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4cwrqv/it_was_like_egg_hunt_but_the_big_bennys_reliant/

iron buns fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 1, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

I watched parts of it. TBH, re-writing the PU from scratch is the best idea Crobberts has had in all the time I've followed this loving poo poo show.

I'm actually a strong believer in the prototype system. You write the system once, give it your best, but you just don't know enough to get it right. Then, you take what you've learned and re-write it, properly this time.

As long as they don't run out of money, it's the right thing to do. As it stands, they just can't make any progress whatsoever in their lovely hosed up buttmess that is the Star Citizen codebase.

The only problem is that they should've restarted months/years ago

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Who the hell are his 2 recommendations?
Plot twist : Derek Smart is one of them.

Give you one guess on one of them, and it ISN'T Derek.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Scruffpuff posted:

context bro i need it

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Toops posted:

I know what you mean, I often adopt a similar draft then final approach with CAD modelling. Run through once with some rough dimensions and make sure everything is gonna work how you think it will, then pull up a clean slate for the final piece once I know where I'm going with it. Only thing is, my drafts normally take 30mins or so, not 3 years and 70plus million dollars!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A subtle hint that Jared is leaving?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Daztek posted:

The only problem is that they should've restarted months/years ago

And especially before building however many fidelitous nightmare sperg chariots that need constant refactoring.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Samizdata posted:

Give you one guess on one of them, and it ISN'T Derek.

You do wonder how a hack like that can land a job at CIG.
This guy has no talent what so ever.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

fuctifino posted:

A subtle hint that Jared is leaving?

I like the idea he has absolutely no idea what is coming and everyone looks at him like a lamb for the slaughter. E.L.E please already.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Meanwhile in Elite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKQtsOeLh5M

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

It's going to be very difficult to look at Crobberts as anything but the most spectacular failure in the gaming industry after everything goes tits up. He's riding high now but this is the set-up to a classic Greek downfall due to hubris.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Posting from ten pages back so I may have been beaten to this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Posting from ten pages back so I may have been beaten to this:

He does contract work for CIG

• Locked thread