Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It was either Duck or Corolla. I bought the sauce from one of those "trendy hotsauce and peanut" places, but it was legit good stuff.

I took a vacation to Duck a few months ago. Wish I had known about this at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My cat is getting old in her years.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey guys, remember the Arena Commander launch? You know, where they launched to the first 250 or 1000 or so people by Citizen ID? You know, the one where after a whole week of people with 3-digit IDs saying they didn't have access when CIG suddenly realized they never sent any invites out? I bet that's going to be the 2.0 launch.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I downloaded the PTU. First attempt I crashed when loading into the map. Second attempt I got in. I ran to a table, jumped on top, and fell through the world. Then I crashed. That's my Star Citizen story.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

Attempt 1: Logged into hangar, sat in retaliator cockpit- all functionality disabled, couldn't get out of seat. Exited game.
They changed the keybind to get out of the seat. I believe it is CTRL+F now.

Sarsapariller posted:

Game was taking enormous performance hits too- pausing for 4-5 seconds every 30 or so. Exited game.
I ran into that too. It makes it unplayable.

Sarsapariller posted:

The head bob is unbelievably garbage. Just turning your mouse to move your view causes the whole loving camera to bob around as your character shifts his feet. Of all the bugs I encountered this was by far the least forgivable. It makes the game feel just awful in first person.
I dare say the movement is worse than loving Arma 2. If anybody has played Arma 2 (not Arma 3, the new one), you'll know the levels of janky poo poo I'm talking about. You look to the left and your view wobbles side to side as your character re-adjusts his feet. Just terrible.

Sarsapariller posted:

I would put these errors in the "Issue Council" except CIG did not send me a password to log into the ptu site when they sent me the PTU invitation. Guess they didn't want the feedback that much.
They send you the password once you copy your account to the PTU. You can try deleting your account and copying it over again. That should hopefully spawn an e-mail.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I tried the PTU 2.0.0b patch today. I loaded up the game and tried to launch into Crusader. All the instances were full. So I alt+tabbed out and browsed my RSS feeds for a bit. I come back and I'm standing in the spawn room. So far so good. I pressed F9 to bring up the mobiglass and read the Journal. I'm... still in the game. This can't be too bad. Since it seemed more stable, I decided to figure out how to spawn a ship. Of course, it is difficult getting places because the movement is so janky and because the game locks up for 5 seconds about a few times a minute, but I finally found the ship terminal. I use it and the animation plays. And plays. And plays. Then I crash.

We're making progress!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
PTU 2.0.0c report:

This time I got further than I have ever been before. I managed to spawn a ship without any troubles. I went through the airlock to find my ship waiting for me outside. I got inside it and started it up. That is when the trouble started. See, every time somebody spawns a ship, the game client locks up for 5 or more seconds. By the time I got into my ship, everybody else started to log into the shard. And once all those people started to spawn ships, my game client was spending most of its time not responding. I was able to fly upwards off the landing pad and enable a couple subsystems before the sheer weight of everybody spawning ships crashed the game server.

Maybe next patch I will actually be able to fly somewhere.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bootcha posted:

Kinda reminds me when Kerberos put out SotS2, a broken mess. And then they put out the halfway enjoyable The Pit.

The best thing about SotS 2 was finding out all the things that didn't work. Like how security was worthless and not implemented and the AI would spent all of its money on it.

Actually, the best thing about SotS 2 was reminding people that SotS 1 is still a pretty good game.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MeLKoR posted:

I've been ignoring the update for a while but was considering updating sometime in the near future. What's this you're saying about it uninstalling programs? Can that poo poo be disabled?

When you upgrade Windows, it will remove programs known to have incompatibilities that are a big cause of BSODs. Microsoft just isn't that good at identifying which versions are bad. The problem was that upgrading from Win10 RTM to 1511 caused the removal to happen again, this time without notice (upgrading from 7/8/8.1 to 10 will list the programs it will remove).

It was mainly stuff like CPU-Z, Speccy, some Intel raid drivers, Cisco VPN stuff, etc. It will tell you what it removed so you can download it again.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

revmoo posted:

That is a classic MS move right there "here you don't need this." Right along the lines of force-upgrading people's PCs to Win10 overnight and calling it an accident. They really think they just own the loving world.

I had a coworker get his Exchange account shutdown by MS earlier today. This is a corporate O365 account and Microsoft just waltzed in and shut his account down because he was sending "spam" aka test emails because he's a sysadmin.

Well, to be fair, some of this poo poo really DID break Windows 10 and caused it to fail to boot up.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Erenthal posted:

Okay, I'm having a real hard time keeping up with all the new cult terminology, but what the gently caress is "unmelt"? I get that melting is turning ships* into store credit to buy other ships**, but how do you unmelt? You turn store credit into ships? Isn't that what, you know, a store does anyway?

Unmelting is when you contact customer support and ask them to let you re-buy a package you have already melted. So if you melted down ship A to buy ship B, then come across some more disposable income you would like piss away, you can get customer support to restore ship A and let you re-buy it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
VR is going to be the most vomit inducing thing in Star Citizen, thanks to all their "immersive" animations. I bet they won't even remove the head-bob on movement.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

neonbregna posted:

Was this ever given meaning?

See: Bootcha's avatar text

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

fuzzknot posted:

It went downhill from there.
Just buy him a rice maker. Can't gently caress that up.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
There should be a table near the spawn rooms that you can stand and jump on to glitch through the level and get outside the station. I doubt they have fixed it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Seraph has publicly posted every single bit of information that CIG can use to identify the account he's selling and permaban it. Even down to the e-mail address on the account.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

FrankieGoes posted:

I wouldn't. I.e. I'd rather have 1st gen and then enough time will have passed that I won't mind paying to upgrade to 3rd gen, rather than waiting for 2nd gen. I don't think 4k and the ability to push it at 90+ FPS is going to happen for a non-insane price anytime in the near future.

Eye tracking and foveated rendering is going to solve that problem. You'll only need to render a small portion of the screen at 4k.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Risc1911 posted:

Effort Post incoming...

Just recently Chris Roberts said they are "re-factoring" the server and client net-code. At this point CIG does not have a network solution and will most likely not have one in the near future. What they have is the standard CryEngine network stack and server slightly modified (read hacked) to support a few more players.

We also heard they are sending Megabytes of data to the clients which in turn means they have not even started to optimize the serialization of their objects which is frightening to say the least.

I remember when they were sending the full details of every single thruster on the ship and the status of every single power and cpu pipe, all so the client could do proper physics prediction because if one thing was off, a thruster might pivot the wrong way and now you have desync. Ironically they neglected to send the power override state so if a player decided to only give half of the normal power to his thrusters, everybody else would assume he was giving full power and now there is massive desync and stuttering.

Man, they sure have "re-written" their entire networking stack many times.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My great-uncle was a combat medic in WW2. He wouldn't talk about the war.

My friend has a much more interesting story. His ancestors were Jewish. Half of them became drafted as Nazis and worked in concentration camps and poo poo (and many of them were jailed forever due to war crimes). The other half of his Jewish ancestors dressed in drag and fled to the United States. Their proud tradition lives on.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

peter gabriel posted:

I'm blown away that they changed my support name to Major Tom ha ha

Could it be a part of the gravatar integration? It loaded my gravatar stuff off my e-mail address.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hahaha, it took me a second to find it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
goons are trolling goons who can we trust??

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

peter gabriel posted:

Adam 'whisper at me til I cum' Rushing made a rebuttal vid, in which he conveniently does not show who opened the airlock lol

I think you need to make a rebuttal video to his rebuttal video.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Inacio posted:

The SC launcher is insane.

https://my.mixtape.moe/hwnkbs.mp4

539 connections. It's literally reaching and sustaining the maximum possible speed for my connection.

Disable the peer-to-peer patching. Why would you download from other people when you could make sure you are wasting every possible bit directly from RSI?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

orcinus posted:

If anyone feels like taking a break from the thread and sperging out a bit:

http://www.zachtronics.com/shenzhen-io/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpoJbIaBg8E

I've been wondering how Zachtronics would make something even crazier than TIS-100. Good for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SelenicMartian posted:

Isn't Bohemia Interactive there one of the few studios which does "FPS cam in the TPS character model" thing?

This got missed, but yeah, they do. They've been trying really hard to undo some of the decisions they made a long time ago as, surprisingly, it doesn't feel that good when actually playing the game. Arma has a reputation is being a very clunky game and it's mainly due to the way they designed their animation system. Arma 3 was all about trying to fix many of the animation problems, but there is so much technical debt to the engine that they weren't able to completely rip out the system and start fresh. If there is one thing you can be thankful to CryEngine about, it's that CIG was not able to go FULLY down the same path as Bohemia (which they regret going down a decade later).

• Locked thread