Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

BeefThief posted:

the correct answer is shocking and heartbreaking

I'm glad you used the serious tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Sillybones posted:

If you are in the Stimpire, probably don't go out for a restaurant meal.

I don't understand: "Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered to be 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population". Are they 40 times taller? Are there 40 enforcers per population?

yes

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

[quote="A Neurotic Jew" post="457603006"]

this but all the silhouettes are turds

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

For any of these idiots who are like 'pgabz is cherry picking bugs, I spent a good 5 hours enjoying the wonders of the pu it was the best gaming experience of my life i had an orgasm and immediately spent my childrens college funds on the completionist package, then a javelin lol i cant eat for several weeks oh well', I have a simple request: please post a vid of you enjoying the pu as is, with no bugs, displaying engaging gameplay. Like a full vid showing you enjoying the wonders of star citizen, sans cherry picked bugs, for several hours

I've participated in alphas. For example, I was in the F&F alpha of WoW Cataclysm. What I was able to participate in was a slice of complete gameplay, for example in the new (at the time) starter areas. You couldn't progress after you finished the initial questline at that stage, it was released to test those new starter areas, but the area was complete and the limit of the reports I submitted amounted to 'the quests seem to reward more gloves than are necessary, maybe look at the quest rewards' or 'a mining node is buried in terrain atm, might need moving'. It was complete and my new goblin or worgen didn't clip slowly through the ground whilst contorting in stimpire self-flagellation agonies.

Alternately, for those who claim 'it's an alpha, expect bugs omg', please provide video footage of another game in alpha with an equal amount of bugs. I'll wait, really provide either of those things. A vid of octodad flailing around and collapsing into a singularity doesn't count, I mean a game where the devs have actually declared alpha. Any other game in alpha, that displays the level of hosed up broken sadness

neither of these things exist because star citizen isn't a game that exists

TODD BONZALEZ fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 19, 2016

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Could someone also please link the ben vid where he's like yah whoh did ehp eh waoh did etc, I was at work when I read that bit and wasn't able to listen. I get unmonitored internet access but no sound : /

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

hahahahaha thank you what the gently caress Ben sounds like such a dickhead hahahaahhaha, it was faster than I had imagined but woah, props to Batgirl for being so calm and professional

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Eonwe 260 people on the forums have you on ignore. How many thousands of dollars do you think that adds up to in terms of donations to Croberts?

KFC Nashville Hot Chicken

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

$KFC Nashville Hot Chicken?

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

lol these people stilll think individual thrusters matter as opposed to your commando becoming a ship and running around without legs because it's a fps engine for shooty mans, comparing top trumps numbers as if its a real game

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

ah yes the cart al can do 650 star metres per second

well thats crap

yayh woah eh did ehp did agreed trhats crap

yues thats very crap :(

whaT happened to this game not beign a pice of poo poo

Who knows better buy more ships

PAAAAAARP

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Toops posted:

I love cocaine dad show and have missed him.

I love solar plebeian and you're doing gods work :)

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I just remembered Chris Roberts trying to play his own game and had a good laugh to myself

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

The port olisar graphic moves independently from the ring it is on

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I was reading about about cargo cults today and it reminded me a lot of star citizen

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

[quote="orcinus" post="457642935"]
Not sure if i ever posted this, but i've been thinking exactly the same for months now.
SC *is* a loving game cargo cult. In more ways than one.

SC devs are a game development cargo cult. They go through motions they've seen or thought they've seen actual developers do, hoping it will magically result in a game.
SC fans are a gamer cargo cult. They go and think through motions they've seen other gamers go, without actually ever playing anything, thinking they're playing a game.

e: I've seen my post counter y
Exactly, going through the motions, and apparently they often form around a leader with a 'vision'

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I love imaginative world building where interesting ideas are well thought out and believable even when weird, and the idea of terraforming an entire gas giant to support a floating construction yard which uses materials that aren't available to mine is just so utterly stupid

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Chris Roberts have you considered an undersea base on an ocean planet where they conduct logging operations

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I mean you can mash ideas together in a good an interesting way, here is an idea i thought of just now:

A copper-rich planet where the plantlife has adapted to incorporate it into their growth to make them more hardy and resistant instead of it being toxic to them. when new leaves bud on the trees they start out a bright shiny metallic copper orange, which slowly oxidises to verdigris green as the leaf ages in a reverse autumn. Natives of the planet could use leaves a speartips and go foraging for animals killed by the falling sharp leaves. A corporation could combine forestry and mining to harvest and extract trees for metals instead of having to do big underground mines.

There you go there's a somewhat plausible but different way you could harvest metals on a planet, instead of terraforming a gas giant for absolutely no reason.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Eonwe posted:

is anyone else savoring EightAce's post

I don't mean think its a good post, I mean actually savoring it

yes

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Oh and Blindsight by Peter Watts is good and you can read the whole thing or download it in various formats here http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

owns

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

In this vein if you haven't read it before I strongly advise the awesome short novel The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect (complete text at the link).

thanks, this is a pro click, very good so far

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Star Citizen: Because of the open nature of this project, CIG has to keep things behind closed doors.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I'm the guy who decided to put the professionally recorded sounds of actual weapons being fired in different acoustic situations in the bin and jingle some keys and a bag in front of a mic instead

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Daztek posted:

Are you Chris Roberts???

so that's errr a pretty good question uhhhh, and uuh, so in terms of you know, sort of, the question, it's well errr, like, who exactly uh who, then uh, so this is uhhhh, who and so on and errr, so there you go, dunno if that uhhh answered the question

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I made you all a picture of chris roberts destroying his own legacy

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

There is a guy who is gently trying to get info out of me, it's been going on a while

I am enjoying this sub plot

I enjoy your gentle replies to commandos on your vids

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Toops posted:

:five:

This is going in the Solar Plebeian museum.

I've named it "CrobbleGobble" hope that's ok

Thank you commando o9

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

I hold them all very dear to my heart.

it's especially lovely when someone is trying to be very insulting or scathing, and recieves a Thank u commando in return

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

im starting to think that star citizen might not be very good

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

D_Smart posted:

Erin is exec producer for all the teams. He took over from Alex Mayberry. Also, he doesn't need to be in the US - in person - to talk to the US team about dev. That's why they have been using conference (Skype once in awhile) calling software for sometime now.

No, he's in the US for specific - and completely different - reasons.

That is all.

I was thinking about this, surely for a lot of communication a skype or conference call is sufficient. This can rule out several ideas where just communicating with teams/people in other countries is enough. Whatever it is, it means that it is necessary for Erin to be there at LA in person, which is very interesting.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

The 'work in progress' sequence is complete crap. That is not how a digital painter builds up an image. He's just traced the outline of the photoshopped image, blobbed some sampled base colours into the outline/ adjusted some opacities, then gradually re-introduced the photoshopped image with a few minor additions to make it look like a painting. This is how someone who cobbles together stolen works and traces them works, not someone who paints.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Both. My team is on the bubble to make it to the district championships (we won't make it unless a few teams ahead of us drop out), and I'm also a robot inspector.

It's a lot of fun.

robot inspector sounds like a very fun job

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

sunaurus posted:

Has anything substantial been added to the baby poo since 2.0? I heard something about EVA, is that all? Also, did 2.2 get the Star Marine cover mechanics, and did 2.3 get vaulting and sliding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9phH8Jf78M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWeTw2DXfUE

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

imagine a video of a turd being thrown at a fan. right as it nears its destination the camera slows into a matrix style slowmo where what is coming is inevitable but it seems to stretch on for ever. that's where it feels like we are now, right before the sudden explosion of poo poo

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Chris Roberts is wearing mostly fur. To his right, on the floor, is the headpiece of a whale costume, which is upturned and rather pungent.

Roberts’s face is a blinking slab of clay looking out through thickets of drenched grey hair. His mouth is moving rapidly, but he has not spoken in several minutes. His drug-fuelled mind is swelling palpably.

At some point, a sound like a stalled car engine echoes through the elevator, and the whole scene slips down several feet. One of the men in the corner screams. Roberts, in a kind of perversely hygienic zen state, is unperturbed. The intercom crackles and buzzes, then clicks off. A set of emergency strip lights perks up.

One of the smartly dressed people steps cautiously toward the center of the elevator to try and peer through the doors. Roberts quickly grabs the man with one paw and flaps at the air with the other. “Birds,” he spits.

The man gasps and slaps hysterically at Roberts’s thick fur arm.

“We say, you know, like animals, like this, birds,” Roberts says. His grip is jaw-like. “Oh we are animals, we are animals. We are birds procedurally generated. This is immersion.”

Roberts lets go in order to swoop his hands in the air as if miming the mating dance of a pair of spaceships. The liberated man tumbles backward into his smartly-dressed fellows, who are now stacked more tightly than before. “Dreams,” Roberts mumbles, squinting at the carpet.

“Of err, of course in this movie, the Fourty-Second Squadron or whatever, you know, you have this admired admiral, military hero, whatever, who leads a task force behind enemy lines. And then you have a pusher woman, and so on, and so on.” Roberts is interrupted by a pen that somebody has thrown at his face.

“Don’t, no,” one of the persons whispers.

“Immersion,” Roberts conjectures. He is gathering fresh thoughts and chewing on them.

“Is he talking about the new Squadron 42 game?” one of them asks. Nobody answers.

“But the mainstream you know critical response is that this is not a very serious movie. It is such bull poo poo. But this, I claim, is fidelity. That we do not notice that our characters are dressed like Citizens, doing, you know, insane things, with violence and technology and so forth, and we applaud, say, yes, this is real, this is the real world, finally, thank god.”

Roberts is creeping toward the corner. The three smartly-dressed persons are keeping pace, sliding across the elevator wall to another corner. One of the persons stretches out and slaps the emergency alarm bell one more time, just before it is out of reach.

“Why not? Why do we not see it? The world that I, Chris Roberts, who has made this film, wants to paint for us, he does not hide it at all. The background is the centerpiece, you know, the farmers and pirates and so on, fighting for citizenship, this is not simply the world that the Citizens live in. It is actually their story, they talk about it, so we cannot see it except as they do. Very stupid.”

Roberts’s head suddenly shakes left and right very rapidly. Swarms of baby sweat beads burst off his flapping goitre and float away.

“I think that, you know,” Roberts continues, excitedly flailing his arms, “a tension between the characters, you know, living their own lives, and so on, and the world that they do not notice. This is the world as it really is, you know, these are stories that happen. The stories about us cannot exist without the world we live in, but we don’t worry about so much. We worry about, my god, my wife, you know, she cheats on me with an actor, or whatever.” Roberts laughs.

“Is he… married?” one of the smartly-dressed persons asks, their hand raised to their mouth.

“So this grand operatic play, drama, movie, where the hero is our society and the villain is the Vanduul society, you know, but really they are a JPEG and some kind of robot man, my god, give me a break. It is magnificent. But there is another irony, you know. This Admiral Bishop, the heroic military man et cetera with such tactical knowledge, he is not real to the film. He is like a ruse. And really it is when he is unmasked, when you know the situation gets bad, that he puts on a simple physical mask but becomes what we really already know of ourselves. He is then this violent,” Roberts pauses here to ruffle his own hair madly, “insensate, raving lunatic who betrays his people. This I claim. Let me start, with, an example, which may surprise you.”

But Roberts is interrupted as the elevator creaks again and seems to very slowly lurch sideways. Then, with a terrible whipcrack, everything drops another ten feet or so. The elevator stops again with a deafening clang, then settles, groaning. Roberts has lost his balance while the three smartly-dressed persons lean on one another for theirs. Seeing an opportunity, one of the smartly dressed persons kicks Roberts squarely in his blue whale belly, and Roberts tumbles backward, yelling “Goons!”

“Quick!” yells one of the smartly dressed persons. “The maintenance hatch!” And they point to the hatch which, indeed, seems to have come loose. With frankly impressive unspoken coordination, they hoist one another up through the new aperture and on top of the elevator. Two of them make it out. The third man, left in the elevator, is beaten senseless by the force of Roberts’s random kicks and flails. His suit wrecked and ruined, the man collapses backwards, mumbling about fidelity. After the other two have reached the top, they spot a ladder that runs some endless length up the shaft.

No sooner have they all begun to climb the ladder, however, when they hear a tremendous bang behind them. The elevator has not started to fall again. But, looking back, they see a horrifying whale head peeking out from the top of the elevator, one terrible whale eye fixed on them, the other staring wildly into the dark. Roberts has begun to extricate himself with awful strength.

Transfixed, the two smartly dressed persons watch as Roberts pulls himself fully upward, stands triumphantly atop the elevator, and places the whale head over his own shoulders. Now fully costumed, he shakes his entire body. His whale tail whips at his legs and he begins coughing.

“It’s not possible,” one of the smartly dressed persons gasps.

Roberts resumes speaking, but his voice is transformed by the whale head. What comes out instead is an absurd, keening moan, made louder by his desperation to be heard. His hands shoot out from him like the snapping mouths of blind coyotes. “WUUUHHH UUUUHHHH EUUUUUHHHH,” he bellows. The two smartly dressed persons nearly kick one another in their desperation to climb away.

Roberts too leaps onto the ladder, and not a moment too soon. As soon as he bounds off of it, the elevator finally gives way, scraping down the seemingly infinite shaft and screaming the entire way. Roberts is kicked in the face, and his whale head flies off. Its gaze does not relent as it disappears into the shaft’s inscrutable pit.

“I think I cannot imagine a better example of fidelity,” Roberts explains, completely undeterred. The two smartly-dressed persons are nearly choked by the toxic odor that rises from Roberts. “Dreams, dreams,” Roberts mimics, “and so on. But what does this mean, dreams.”

Somewhere far up the ladder, a short burst of light cracks the tunnel.

“So when the movie presents its own fidelity, and of course, is so awful that it makes a mockery of itself and of the audience, we are most noble as pilots, and so on, how do you stand even further back and say, what is the real fidelity that the film is based on. And I say then, look at how the characters are shown in their cut scenes, all twenty unskippable hours and so on.”

The smartly dressed person at the top stops and clutches his stomach. “I don’t care about Squadron 42,” he says. “When are we getting a real update to Star Citizen.” Roberts refuses to stop, although he does not address the complaint. When he meets the second person down, who has also stopped, he simply reaches out and grasps the person’s ankle with his terrible whale hand. Then he yanks hard on it, and the second person’s trousers are ripped off. “Unbelievers,” Roberts belches. The second man, now pantsed, pauses to examine himself. In his embarrassment, he loses his grip on the ladder and falls, tumbling down the naked pit, still horrified by the loss of his trousers.

The remaining smartly dressed person redoubles their efforts and climbs ever harder. Roberts’s pace remains constant, and with a dancer’s grace, he has incorporated arm flails and hand flaps into the spaces between steps.

“I, Roberts, tries to do something that they think I cannot do, which is to build something by making nothing. There are a lot of arguments on these degenerate websites you know, Something Awful, Derek Smart and The Escapist and so on, about whether the villain is Roberts or the, my god, Dream, I mean. Who thinks of these things, I don’t know. But in the film, Roberts leaves it open, what he thinks, he does not say it explicitly, so you know we are left thinking that maybe he is saying something through the story itself, instead of having Bishop stand up at the end and say ‘OK, I believe this and this and so on and so on.’”

“Have you even finished the game yet?” asks the smartly-dressed person. “I don’t think it’s been released.”

“Two weeks,” Roberts remarks.

He continues: “But it is precisely because everything in the movie has already been recognized, given significance, by the moral actors in the film, that he cannot do this, because their judgments must then be his, which he hands to us. So either he is saying the obvious, you know, that it is necessary to record the mocap again and again, my god, for Roberts, these whales and celebrities or whatever. Or he is trying to distance himself from that statement by remaining ambiguous, but then only saying nothing.”

“My god,” Roberts laughs. “Either it is a disgusting film or it is a very bad film.”

The smartly-dressed person pauses to argue with him. “It’s not a loving movie,” he shouts, turning around and hanging onto the ladder with one hand. But Roberts merely tugs at the person’s tie, pulling their face down to Roberts’s. An enormous furry paw caps the man’s head and pulls down what appears to be a toupee until it is obscuring the man’s eyes. Blind, flailing, the man drops off the ladder and hurtles into the pitch-black abyss, still complaining that Squadron 42 isn’t a movie.

“Idiots,” Roberts explains.

As he continues to climb the immersion ladder, he speaks at length about Heart of Darkness, the cool bit that fans of Top Gun will have a knowing nod at, and so on, and so on. Some untold distance down the pit, a whale’s head nods and blinks and moans at the impenetrable air.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

(It was surprisingly easy to adapt that Zizek post into "Chris Roberts makes an elevator pitch to last minute investors")

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

D_Smart posted:

1) Yes. It's the start of a catastrophic cascading doomsday effect that is going to start playing out effective now
2) Bang, definitely a bang
3) You, and all the Shitizens like you, deserve what just happened, and what's coming next. All of it

:henget:

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Reminder that this was Huckaby's intro for the comm-link last week. None of us really caught the significance at the time, I don't think:

read that as Todd Parpy for a sec there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

lmao this is the first time I've actually listened to this, I always assumed it would sound like something from Team America and it sounds just like I imagined

• Locked thread