Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the blog post Mr Smart, it was very informative and enlightening :) I had no idea that they just switched to x64 and scrapped two years of work, that was mind boggling. And that 8 of the 14 studios are in West Hollywood and Santa Monica, one of which is a branch of their Texas studio..?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I am VERY excited to watch Derek Smart's interview with Vox Day.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
E: D actually looks pretty cool, it's nice to know there are space games being made that actually exist and are playable.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Frankly I'm just amazed that they released anything. Good work Star Citizen. You sort of exist and could be a game.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I hope the coders are being paid well.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What's striking to me is the dissonant levels of detail, effort and polish. There are all these hyper-involved features like the elevators, ramps, ladders and hatches you need to interact with to get anywhere, or the myriad pilot seat animations with flip top canopies or spinning seats. Meanwhile you can't go five minutes without clipping through something or just crashing.

Shouldn't the first priority be getting a stable engine running, laying down a couple of basic spaceship hulls that can move and shoot, and then adding all the pointless immersive detail?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Those loving windows. No decorator in the world is going to make that not look like a prison.

WHY ARE THE BARS ON THE INSIDE??

Suicide prevention?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

The Squadron 42 trailer music isn't too bad. However, it's from that awful 2012 movie Battleship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpgUuGunU0o

Battleship was good, and was released.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Godmode Enabled posted:

Elite Dangerous is a real non jpeg based Space Game and is $15 (67% off) right now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

:O

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I bought Elite: Dangerous on sale because of this thread.

I may or may not like it but $15 on an existing game feels reasonable compared to tens of thousands on jpegs.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Clearly Bootcha was never a real SC fan in the first place. Otherwise he wouldn't have had the spare :10bux: for an account here.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How many mocap studios can $100,000,000 get?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

First of all, this is a cool video (if you disregard the incredibly frustrating shaking).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5UrT1EhWE

Secondly...how big is that moon over there?

Why the hell is the POV shaking like that

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's weird how the screens in the corners are pointed straight forward. They really should be angled towards the pilot so they're pointed at them.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

update: he woke up, walked down some stairs, crashed.

Maybe Star Citizen is the terrible secret of space.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

:tinfoil:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Star Citizen: Step 4: KILL YOURSELF

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Madcosby posted:

edit: Imagine if a single video game had a max amount you can spend of $1000 a year. That seems so ridiculously reasonable to anyone with a healthy mindset for video games. Such a model would crush Star Citizen. They prey on retarded people

They'd just get multiple accounts to max each one out on spending.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So

What is Squadron 42 ?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Friendly Tumour posted:

Whats the latest on the lawsuit?

Two Weeks

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So I was thinking about how the pilot is invincible once they sit in the captain's chair.

What are the chances hat this is so that the pilot isn't randomly killed by a bullet, laser or missile clipping through the ship and damaging the player model? Or ship collisions with other objects doing the same thing?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
In order to become closer to the Star Citizen experience I have shaved my pubes. I feel liberated and high-fidelity.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
These are truly exciting times.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can't believe how stupid, petty, greedy and short-sighted these dipshits running the show are.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Kinda sad that they have obviously spent so much money on their facilities etc and are having these kind of problems. Wouldn't like a CFO or someone step and and say "uh hey guys we can make do just fine with a room full of Ikea desks here instead of a $20,000 table"

That sounds like something a publisher would say.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

I would take an unstable PU with 1000 monkeys running around in it.

That's a stretch goal.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Gillian Anderson will put this on her resume.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The funny thing about the "publishers are EVIL!!!" narrative is that CIG is acting exactly like a publisher would and nothing like a game developer.

Well yeah, to be a developer they'd have to make a game, or something.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Needs more salt.

That water they're standing in isn't fresh

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

redwalrus posted:

Just a reminder that in a few days it will be February 2016.

Tell me more about Teledildonics

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I sort of want to try this free weekend thing but I'm afraid the Star Citizen installation will gently caress up my computer :ohdear:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can the afflicted get a "CIG Refugee" gang tag?

What, the Derek's Smarties one isn't good enough?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

My favourite thing about redditor rage against Derek Smart is how upset they are about his name. They can't handle that his last name is "Smart" so desperately try to avoid saying it, leading to the bizarre use of different names for him. You can't possibly call him Derek "Smart" because then you're saying that he's smart oh my god how can you possibly argue with someone who's last name is "Smart".

You can't argue with Derek Smart, it's just a fact.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

darkarchon posted:

Registered to enjoy and contribute to this poo poo show. Gently caress you, Eonwe, Beer4TheBeerGod and d_smart.

Since I have nothing of value to contribute right now, enjoy my baby cattes:

Ok that's all for now. Godspeed commandos o4

How do you feel about Elite Dangerous

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mr. Smart, your thread seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Colosseum Commando Mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Will Solar Plebeian have female characters? :ohdear:

• Locked thread