Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Yeah, it's not like CR is disliked by publishers for a reason. No sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

toanoradian posted:

It seems like they want to be able to do everything in the game. From silly time-wasting activities like the rubber ball to the horrendous 'realism' of raped and tortured hostages. What they want isn't a game, what they want is a transcendental spaceman simulator. They're not getting it, even if Chris Roberts is a great leader who's adept at managing teams and conserving budget.

At this point, as some have said so well, they want Space Second Life. They want to be able to ply the spaceways with their strange blowup doll cargo and indulge in weird sexual fantasies with their crews.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

dyzzy posted:

The least surprising yet also the most telling

It's the one silver lining of all this, that the majority of these people will never have children.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

XK posted:

They are metal cards, so slightly more difficult to machine gun out of a press, but still. Too many orders, closing down early, but get your order in fast and we'll squeeze it in somehow.

Also, have fun with your bent up metal card if you do anything with it other than immediately clamping it into a lucite collector's case.

Thing is, I'm not sure why it's taking them three months or why they have to preorder for a lovely metal card. Also "allow our manufacturer enough bandwidth", it's not like they're uploading JPEGs :wtchris:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Loiosh posted:

I like comparing development to other games that have gone through major revisions in their own histories for comparison, which is why I mentioned Halo, Destiny and AC as examples of games that have had major revisions during their development. (One fundamental engine redesign with a complete art and asset scrap, one a complete story and MP redesign, and one a full art and asset scrap)

Instead of comparing SC to other games, compare SC to the last project in gaming Croberts was leading up. Like, seriously, how can you not look at Freelancer and think Croberts is doing the same poo poo all over again. Constant delays, lackluster presentations and feature/scope creep were the hallmark of Freelancer's development. Microsoft had to then step in, kick Croberts out and tell the dev team to finish the game with what was actually possible to do.

A project is only as good as it's management allows it to be, and Croberts hasn't had a successful project in the last 15 years. You can't even count Freelancer since he had to be forced out to get the thing to ship, had he stayed on it's highly probable Freelancer would have become vapourware. Digital Anvil was also involved in the special effects in his crap effort Wing Commander movie, so it's not like him using CIG to launch himself back into Hollywood is a bit of reach.

The difference between Freelancer and Star Citizen will be that no publisher will want to touch Star Citizen with a ten foot pole when this is said and done. All they have to show is a poo poo ton of ideas which aren't hard to come by and a jumble of modules that aren't even interconnected in any way. When you ask the question "What if" in regards to any SC release, you'd be better of asking "What if it rained money in 30 seconds?", go outside and stand there with a basket/bucket. You'd have at least the tiniest chance of the latter maybe possibly happening.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Loiosh posted:

In regards to your point about history, finding examples like that is a bit more difficult. The industry is relatively young and tends to burn people out, finding people who return is rare. Jordan Mechner, Roberta Williams, Tim Schaffer, Derek Smart, Peter Molyneux, Ron Gilbert, John Carmack, Sid Meier, Will Wright are some of the names I can think off the top of my head who were around at that time and involved in design. So, I'd have to agree with you, in terms of finding an example of a designer who left gaming for 10 years, then returned, I cannot think of an example off the top of my head.

Peter Molyneux did a Kickstarter based game called Godus, promised a whole bunch of poo poo, unsurprisingly didn't deliver on the majority of it, left the team developing it with a skeleton crew because they ran out of money and his only real response was "Oh well it wasn't my fault". This is pretty much how Star Citizen is going to play out.

You're also missing my point. It's not that Chris Roberts left game development for 15 years (MS bought out Digital Anvil in 2000, Croberts left as a result of the takeover), it's more that his last project was a complete gently caress up on his watch and SC is following the same path with the exception that SC had the ability to draw on Kickstarter and backer funding. If his last project is anything to go by, it's kind of hard to have faith that he'll be able to pull off what he promised and failed to deliver a decade and a half ago. Croberts has a consistent track record of failing to deliver under his own auspices and this is exactly what will happen again.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Loiosh posted:

I don't know if I'd agree with consistent, given that WC 1,(Strike Commander, lol),3,4, Starlancer, and Freelancer, but I certainly agree that his last project was a shitshow in terms of development, along with Strike Commander.
Freelancer was his last project.

Thing is, all of those titles had publishers behind them and it's a matter of record that at least in regards to Freelancer, as well as Starlancer somewhat, that Chris Roberts was responsible for delays in the product via his usual love for feature creep. He's like a magpie, he just has to have all the shiny things.

Also, WC1 apparently cost about $1mil (as stated in a book linked by someone in the thread earlier) as opposed to the usual cost of about $200-500k for a game at the time. A cost that was mostly attributed to Roberts. Also add to this that he was a failure in Hollywood who hosed up big time, and I just don't see how it's hard not to have a very skeptical view of anything this man claims.

When you buy into a dream, don't be surprised if that's all you get.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Amun Khonsu posted:

Sandi said, "3" Constellation Model Prototype for the Collectors Boxes!"

Getting the Collectors Boxes ready before the game is even close to being finished, true to CIG form.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

On top of what Dapper Dan has said, a chargeback at this stage is likely going to be faster and less effort than engaging CIG customer support. Don't let CIG waste your time anymore than you have to.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

dancing cat man you are my hero

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

"Objective related corporate markers" these guys are just making up poo poo now. They can't process that this project is so far off the rails the train is now charging over the Pacific ocean floor.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hey Bootcha, how aggravated does it make you feel when these loving retarded whales call their thousand dollar jpeg purchases "investments"?

I thought they were donations? You gotta love how they change the narrative between "donation" and "investment" to suit their flimsy arguments.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

I pledge my life to Croberts. Life is grand living for a kickstarter! *falls on fake sword when game never comes out*

"Look, it's not a waste of my money, it was a donation ok." *reads Derek Smart blog* "HOW DARE THIS gently caress RISK MY INVESTMENT!"

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

D_Smart posted:

Actually we've been looking into this one for sometime now. In fact, one of my researchers has been involved in checking the Chinese factories they use for this crap to see if they are sweat shops, use child labor etc.

To be honest, you can't really go after CIG for using sweat shops in China. Pretty much everyone who mass manufactures in some way will involve goods from those operations. This is why its funny when people were going off about Apple and Foxconn using them, when a very large percent of PC components are also made in the same way.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

even if there's no legal implication, it would be awesome to see Really Good Community Manager Jared explain to the fan-base why they decided to use sweatshops.

Basically the narrative they can use is that goods made in China are cheaper than sourcing them locally, this allows them to put more money from merch sales into the game (or gets CR some more coke).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

This is what they've already said, but there's a difference between stating that your goods are made in China because it saves money and having it proven that you've been sourcing to a sweat-shop. Even if the one implies the other, people get uncomfortable once the conditions of labor are made explicit. For a company with such a public facade like CIG, it would become a huge hassle, and they wouldn't be able to simply hand-wave it away with "it saves money".
Lets be honest here, these are people who want to be able to have furry rape/furry sex with hookers/prisoners/crew members in their Space Second Life. I don't think they're really going to give too much of a gently caress about child exploitation in China.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

In other words, you're making poo poo up and have no clue. You wrote all of that just to say you're making guesses and really don't know.

The reason you get poo poo on is not because you're defending SC. There's another goon that does and nobody laughs at them. The goon doesn't post ad hominem responses, doesn't post about things they don't know, and doesn't sugarcoat things with paragraphs of random boilerplate.
Are we sure Octopode doesn't work at CIG?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

Octopode manages 3 datacenters while also moonlighting as a lawyer in trade law (hence his extensive knowledge with TOS enforcement) and only recently has begun to apply his expertise in programming.

To be fair, he has more marketing experience than Sandi.
CIG should headhunt Octopode, he's like 3 employees in one. And they can use him for PR too, it's not like you'd notice the difference between him and their current PR team.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Octopode posted:

Because the negative reaction to missing those dates due to their inability

That's all you needed to say

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Octopode just linked to a bunch of flashy links he thought would impress everyone, shut them up and make them take him at his word because "i r network admin 4 high end military stuffz" is something that impresses him.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

lmao you're full of poo poo and nothing you say is believable.

You've got a bit of a crush on Derek, don't you?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

i'm jealous that he might be into another person

Just ask him to the loving prom already, you do want to dance with him right?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

The fact that they are having an anniversary sale a year after the game was supposed to be released is pretty :psyduck: to me

They are celebrating the anniversary of their failure. Backing SC is clearly like a marriage; for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness (or broken wrists) and in health, until death do us part (fideles quoad decedemus/faithful until we pass away).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Chocobo posted:

Derk Smart paused a moment, then burst out, “Octopode, Chris Roberts bears all the troubles of the games industry on its shoulders and he is tired.”
“Madness. Midsummer madness,” muttered Octopode.
“Then let me show you something. Let me put him to the test. May I have permission to use the computer here in your office?”
“Why?”
“To ask him a question no one has ever asked Roberts before.”
“Will you do him harm?” asked Octopode in quick alarm.
“No. But it will tell us what we want to know.”
The fanboy hesitated a trifle. Then he said, “Go ahead.”
Smart used the keyboard on Octopode's desk. His fingers punched in the concierge support ticket with deft strokes: ‘Chris Roberts, what do you yourself want more than anything else?’
The moment between question and answer lengthened unbearably, but neither Smart nor Octopode breathed.
A week later there was a beep and a reply was recieved. It was a form letter:
“We would like to alert you to the fact that we are currently experiencing an unusually high load of tickets causing severe delays in getting replies out to you.”
Three weeks later there was another beep as a second reply was recieved. On it, in precise letters, was the answer:

Oh god, you're ruining my favorite Asimov short stories in the best possible way.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

So guy wants cheap lovely merch for a lovely non-existent game to theme his Christmas? Wow, loving tragic.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I'm only into this thing for a grand total of $40, and am debating about asking for my money back. I see people with thousands of dollars 'invested' and think that makes total sense to do. For someone like me, with barely anything spent on this gong-show, how likely is it I'll see anything worthwhile, ever? On one hand, I'd rather take that $40 and spent it on some real games, made by people who can actually ship a product. On the other hand, the $40 isn't going to break my financial picture, so part of me figures I should just ride it out and enjoy the front row seat for the drama. If you're a minimal contribution person, have you asked for your refund yet?

Get the $40 back now, spend it on something you can use right now. If/When SC comes out, buy it then.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Shipping to the individual recipients from China is probably not totally cheap.

Shipping from China to most places is pretty cheap now days. For black cards, practically nothing against what you save by having it made in China.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Amarcarts posted:

Don't do a chargeback until a reasonable amount of time has passed. I think two weeks is reasonable.
CIG weren't reasonable in wasting his time in the whole "checking with my manager" when it's known that they've been issuing refunds regardless.

Chargeback is the easiest and most time efficient way to get a refund, even more so now CIG are dragging their heels at every turn in this regard. Unless you're happy bouncing emails back and forth and waiting a month or more.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Amarcarts posted:

I'm kind of torn on the issue. I think it's important to be reasonable because then if the person resorts to a chargeback the bank is more likely to side with them. It seems like CIG isn't having a lot of chargebacks brought against them because they'll cave in and do a refund when someone threatens. This means that it's likely people will get their money back but also probably that very few actual chargebacks have been filed against the company so they aren't on the banks' radars as scammy. Also: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPP
The reason why I'm of the opinion chargebacks are the best way to go is because of this"

Cig CS/Sandi posted:

This is all done on a discretionary basis and we are not refunding everyone who emails because of personal hardships and nor are we obligated to. It sounds like you are now threatening us?
They're now telling people that they don't have a right to a refund, which. depending on your jurisdiction, may well be a flat out lie (as an Australian, it would be for me). Screw it, don't bother wasting any more time and effort on this abysmal failure of a project than you have to. You shouldn't have to hold a chargeback over their CS rep to get your money back

It's also highly loving hilarious that CIG finds it "threatening" to have people exercise their rights as a consumer. How dare the non-believers doubt the glorious vision of mush mouth prophet Croberts.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Devian666 posted:

CIG are threatened by legal rights that they are required to fulfill. Every refund is pushing this project closer to extinction now if they are responding like this. Maybe there's only a few hundred thousand left?
As much as I'd like to imagine that they are that close to breaking, without the financials it's really not a sure thing. Although, you'd have to lean in that direction given their recent actions with refunds (stalling, money being refunded via multiple accounts) and that it might well be the case CIG has severe issues with liquidity (and I sure wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be true). Failing an instance of CIG's financial records being released (either willingly or via legal action), the most likely sign of this would be rumours of delays on payroll. That's usually the first solid sign that a company has financial difficulties to the point where they should be going under voluntary administration (but more often than not won't). Of course, you have to wonder just how much money they're spending their CS staff to try saving a few hundred bucks here and there because there'd have to be a point where they're spending more money than they're saving (and I get the feeling they've passed that point).

I find it a bit funny that Star Cultists think Derek's issue with SC arises from pure jealousy and not wanting to allow someone else to "make the game he tried to so often". If that was the case, surely you'd also see Derek going after other crowd funded space games instead of promoting them? Not to mention that Derek originally backed SC himself, but I could guess that any die hard SC backer would believe he did so purely to go after them.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Olesh posted:

Derek is half right, but only in theory - if enough people actually chargeback them over this, they lose their ability to process credit cards for an indeterminate period of time on that account. The target number isn't very large, either - either a fixed number (something like $50k) over a certain period of time or 1% of their transactions over the same period of time, whichever is lower. The major card brands (Visa/Mastercard/etc) are the ones who won't tolerate this, but on the one hand whoever they're using as a payment processor is liable to turn a blind eye to things like account juggling (to spread out chargebacks and avoid hitting the limit on any one account) because they're making a crapton of money off of CIG so long as nobody officially reports them doing it. On the other hand, there's not exactly a mechanism for reporting this sort of thing and even if one of their accounts gets closed down they can just funnel transactions through another account in future.

That's why this is only half right (sorry Derek) - it's not really remotely plausible that enough people will go through the chargeback process to get any of CIG's processor accounts shut down, because CIG is capable of juggling the accounts to spread out the chargebacks to avoid any one account getting hit heavily enough to matter. Even if one of their accounts gets shut down from an excess of chargebacks, their related accounts are not likely to be touched - it would take at least two accounts shut down in this way to demonstrate a pattern of behavior, and we've already got demonstrated proof that they've got transactions coming through multiple sources, meaning the bar for any individual account to get nailed for chargebacks is going to be rather high, let alone multiple accounts crossing that threshold. In practice the chance that they'll lose the ability to process credit cards through any of their accounts is so remote as to be effectively zero, let alone all of their accounts.

On the other hand, chargeback fees are _totally_ a thing; typically anywhere from 25$-75$ a transaction, and not only do payment processors take a percentage cut of the transaction, about half the time processors will also charge the same cut on issued refunds. If my payment processor charges 4% on a 100$ transaction, that is later refunded via chargeback, that means that not only do I have to refund the full $100 to the consumer (as per Visa and Mastercard, fees for using credit cards cannot be passed to the consumer), I get hit with a 4$ charge for accepting the transaction, possibly hit with a 4$ charge for refunding the transaction, and also hit with a $25 (or more!) fee for the chargeback. So that $100 in (that's actually $96 in pocket) ends up being a total of $129 or more out.

The reason CIG is trying not to issue full refunds is because every refund is a loss for them; even if their processor doesn't double-dip on refunds they're still out a percentage of the transaction, and chargeback threats are not only worse but require administrative oversight to ensure that the funding model isn't accidentally taken down by having too many chargebacks issued through the same processors. When they're trying to deny any individual their refund, it's because ANY refund is a net loss, and they're trying to balance how much they can try and hang onto without refunding vs the likelihood that you'll actually go through the chargeback process and cost them an extra chunk of change. They can juggle accounts all they want, there's no getting out of the chargeback fees which is why they still want to avoid them.

Edit: This is really as simple as a discussion of this gets - without knowing the specific details of the contracts they signed with their payment processor(s), whether or not they're held to stricter standards or the specifics of what might happen IF an account gets taken down through chargebacks aren't really on the table for speculation. Any individual payment processor IS absolutely capable of connecting the dots between companies, but in general due diligence on the processor side is limited to the primary account holder and whether or not that individual has the authority to sign for processing on behalf of their company.

This is a really good post, but my main point was more from the perspective of people trying to get refunds. I couldn't really care how bad it may or may not impact CIG to have chargebacks occurring, however it is simply just crappy customer service to have to bounce emails back and forth and wait a month or more for a refund and deal with lovely offers like "Well, maybe we can give you $X? I'll have to ask my boss.". Clearly, for a refund request the ticket should be going to someone who has the ability to issue them without checking with their boss (to a certain extent of course). It should not be dragged out as much as it is, as well as telling people stupid poo poo like "We don't have to actually refund you so because we're nice here's a small amount maybe.". All it does is to generate bad PR via word of mouth.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

Coffee is better.

:gary: :coffee:

This, always.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Sandi really comes across as one of those "been everywhere, done everything" kinds of people who just bullshit so much you have no loving idea what they're lying about anymore so you just assume it's one huge big lie. Between doing multiple degrees, acting/modelling, promoting nightclubs and producing films, I'm surprised she managed to fit high school teaching in too.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

G0RF posted:

Yeah, I thought that at first, too- and it could be that, but the way she says it, "No, seriously- I am actually a science teacher. A high school science teacher. I didn't do a very good job at it." comes across like she's letting them know something about her that they didn't know. It could be read either way, though. The important thing is that I learned something new in watching it- that she is capable, occasionally, of self-critique. So that's something.

So in addition to her other three degrees in marketing and business, she has either another one in science and a diploma of education or another degree in education (specializing in teaching science)? Because no Australian high school would have taken her on as a science teacher with only marketing/business qualifications. Then you also if you get a job as a young fresh graduate teacher (you do this via registering as a teacher and get a placement/position from that states Department of Education) they are usually in a regional/rural high school and these tend to be pretty isolated backwater communities, several hours drive from anywhere with a population of more than a few thousand. I really cannot see Sandi spending any period of time in a place that wouldn't let her chase the dream of being an actor.

Also, pretty telling in terms of Sandi's acting career, is the fact that she did no credited work in Australian productions. The way most Australian actors make it big internationally is usually by working in local TV, film or stage productions and getting noticed and put on to something big (i.e Hugh Jackman, who really did well with getting the role of Wolverine), but she didn't do any of that. She stupidly thought if she just rocked up in Hollywood, then someone would give her a big role.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

I was a substitute TA for prefirst and first in America without qualifications. (I was still in college) In practice, this meant I was the sole teacher for 23 four and five year olds for several months.

Yes, it was terrifying.

Australian schools don't have TA's too often, and if they do they're usually someone doing placement during their diploma or degree of education. High school science is pretty testing to teach, namely due to teenagers, and I really can't picture Sandi being the type to go into it ever, considering she'd need a whole other qualification than those she's stated and being a high school teacher isn't just like working at a Coles or Woolies (or Walmart for you US types) for a few months. An ex I lived with for a while was a high school biology teacher, it's really not just something you dabble in for a little bit and go, yeah nah I was pretty bad at that.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Star Citizen is held together entirely by dreams and duct tape. Maybe they can sell different jpegs of duct tape now.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Fatkraken posted:

If buying in at $40 ends up being a substantially worse experience as a player than having a $3000 pirate racing fleet, then the game is a failure on a fundamental level and not something you should want to be involved with anyway, because that would make it a lovely, cynical pay-to-win scam.

Best way to view SC in any light. Reminds me of the some old P2W MUD I used to play in the late 90's, where people would dump like $1000 or so for a text sword with bonuses. One person dumped over $25k into it, then still got wrecked. Jpegs are clearly an evolution of the text sword model.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

For some reason, I get the idea that AdzAdama is a serial killer in waiting.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

"please no violence my ship thx"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Orions Lord posted:

I worked in a Canadian office once that had Eye Strain software installed it was terrible.

So I asked the SC forums if it can be implemented in the game.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/299616/computer-vision-syndrome#latest

Let's see where this one is going.

A few posts in and they were already redefining what an addiction is. Clearly, you just redefine problems until they aren't problems anymore, that is how you justify dumping a few thousand into pictures of spaceships and not wanting to tell your partner, friends or family about it. It's totally not because you're ashamed in anyway, oh no.

• Locked thread