Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Bootcha posted:

I think the next financial test will be to see what CIG's ex-curricular presence at trade shows will be. Remember this past year at PAX South CIG rented out a theater for 4+ hours to talk about dreams. PAX East, e3, GamesCon, GDC, etc...

Will CIG continue to spend money attending the outskirts of any trade shows they can think of? Will it be reduced to one PAX and GamesCon? Or will CitCon be the only spergfest?

Also remember when CR would travel around giving talks about crowd funding to anyone that would listen to him talk? That went on for 6 months.

I think that's going to depend on how the narrative about all these sadbrains spending hundreds and thousands on the game ends up. If someone notable runs a story on that and the game stays crap then it's going to get real uncomfortable for CIG to have a presence anywhere without constant questioning. The real shitter for CIG here is that journalists can question if the end justifies the means with out the uncertainties or risk envolved with calling out the game as vapourware that will never exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

:gary: :gizz:

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

CrazyLoon posted:

If any composer over here got told to do it that many times, they'd fire the client without hesitation unless they were being paid an outrageous salary to gently caress around and achieve little. Either that's where backers' hard-earned money is going in this case, or Chris just really knows how to pick industry people with horribly low self-esteem.

quote:

Camacho: I started in mid 2013 and I feel I am 30% done! I came into the project very early on so the pacing was very slow initially.

Sounds more like Chris hand picks what he things is the creme of the crop then can't actually line up enough work to keep them busy but micro manages the little work he gives them. Probably a pretty cushy job for the talent. Get the going rate but for way less work than usual, just have to do loads of quick random tweaks until the boss thinks it's perfect. I mean, 2.5 years and only 30% done, why would you want to get of that gravy train?

Think lovely radio jingle producer with delusions of grandeur applied to video game production.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Mendrian posted:

I find the whole attitude pretty hilarious. "You goons are gonna look like idiots when this game comes out and you all want to play it" is kind of a non-issue. In fact I'd say that sort of attitude is emblematic of someone who cannot fathom admitting they are wrong. Check it out. Look how easy this is:

Hypothetical future me: I guess Star Citizen came out after all. I guess I was wrong about this game.

Oh, the horror of a thousand neckbeards laughing at me and then I ram my ship into their landing platform. Also, just putting this out there, it's not like anyone will ever know I'm a goon.

And as a final note I think that spending tens of thousands of dollars on a game that you don't have a return-on-investment in should be ridiculous no matter what the final status of Star Citizen. The fact that there are nerd naive enough to give near-investor levels of money to a company without being treated like investors is really shady.

It's the level of thinking you would expect from a toddler in a toyshop.

If you are prepared to wait years before you get to play a game then buy old games, they are dirt cheap and you can accurately research if the game is any good before you buy.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

CrazyLoon posted:

I'm not exactly following all this talk, but a thought does occur to me, put as simply as I can in my layman's terms. Is it possible they recently stopped all refunds from the regular whales, so as they could hold as much money from them (since they are simply donators and not actual investors legally speaking), so that they can buy off all of the actual investors they have with them before the whole shithouse goes up in flames? Since if they manage that, then they pretty much avoid any kind of legal action against them - in fact, they can keep the illusion going for as long as it takes the whales to catch on at long last as to how much extra cash they can get away with to fund CR & Sandi's Hollywood dreams.

Naturally, when it all goes down in flames they'll do some handwaving and excuses about 'downsizing' ect. and the whales will prolly still lap that poo poo up and donate more, then use some of their creative accounting to funnel it towards their Hollywood projects. But the only way I could see them pulling that off would be if they settled everything with all of their legitimate investors, thus exempting themselves from any legitimate legal action against them.

I think the allegation is more that they setup a bunch of private companies with the individuals they wanted to profit as shareholders. Then had CIG buy out these individuals transferring large lumps sums of cash to the individuals and company ownership to CIG. I've no idea if that happened or what the actual laws are about this stuff are. I guess if a private company wants to pay an absurd amount of money for the shares in another private company they can. Private companies get run into the ground all the time by dumb spending. It's only when you are dealing with outside money you have to be accountable, think outside investors, insurers and credit. If it's just your money on the line you can waste it on whatever you want.

It doesn't look like CIG do any planning for failure so if it all goes wrong it might expose dodgy financial dealings that land some in trouble. On the other hand you have to remember the idea a bunch of individuals would give a private company over 100 million is absurd, so the law might not work. Could be it all ends up in a way most would say is morally wrong let no laws were broken.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

sorla78 posted:

There are those two guys, who have a linguistic background and worked as contractors for CIG.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jbakos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-gomes-4b761a17

edit: I guess those are the people to thank for coining "in the 'verse"

So probably the same as the composer who has been working at it for 2.5 years, is 30% done and had to tweak one song 30 times to fit CRoberts vision.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

This article is short and worth reading. You really get the sense that for Roberts, game development really does consist of just sitting there and thinking/talking about poo poo you think would be cool, maybe.

The single player game is going to be a 100 million dollar piece of sperg outsider art and completely irrelevant as a game. It's going to be absolutely hilarious unless you were one of the idiots that helped pay for it.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

D_Smart posted:

Agreed. But that's not the motivation. The motivation is that all things seem to point to it being an exec at a $105M crowd-funded company. I would definitely like to know - without a doubt - if it's her or not.

Could be an exec, or just some loser German auditor fantasising that he actually is the exec.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Berious posted:

Man even the cultists think cryengine sucks

https://youtu.be/CXJZbPI5nKE?t=5m9s

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

AP posted:

The whole thing looks like a mess of spaghetti code to me, I mean how difficult is it not to recreate the avatar model immediately after death for a split second? Making the engine do something is difficult you'd think not making it do something is easier and this would be one of the first things you fix. But it's pretty obvious they ditched the whole FPS branch of the code.

I guess that's possibly why they had the outside developer stop work on it to bring the code "in house" and would also explain why the outside developer made statements that sound like it was an unexpected and confusing decision. It probably made no sense to stop development when they did, unless they realised they would never use any of it making the whole exercise a waste of time and money.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I think there is potential there more than with most other things for sure, just going off remembering what happened over at Elite, it was full on TLDR city there for a while when they shitcanned offline mode with dudes at their wits end :lol:

Yeah, I think there are many citizens that don't play well with other children. Not to mention those that are so objectionable the other children don't want to play with them. As soon as they have an actually playable game they aren't going to be happy if they can't have their own private spaces to avoid griefing and for hosed up RP.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

EightAce posted:

Am very surprised no one has created a Cat headed Croberts in light of the French article. ..... Considering how much y'all love felines

Don't know if anybody is going to spend time on that when this exists.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Without being harsh or overly critical Star Citizen is very bland looking and feeling, it' the kind of game that is like Hard Reset, it's OK but nothing there that screams its own identity. Like you see a screenshot of Hard Reset and it'll take you a while to figure out which game it is because it looks so generic, compared to say, I dunno, Borderlands where you know instantly what it is because the creative direction is good and it's really identifiable as being Borderlands.

It looks like the last outpost of some boring corporation in an area of space so dull the locals haven't even bothered to create an identity out of some tedious historical event or local phenomena. For some reason they all have military looking spaceships for the weekly trip to the space supermarket.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

trucutru posted:

This is my area of research and there are plenty of ways to deal with this specific issue, just like Eve or any other competently programmed multiplayer game shows. Of course, each one has its own compromises but they tend to be reasonable using the proper techniques. They could even directly implement a simple interest management algorithm they find in some published paper and immediately improve their performance (The fact that players received updates from Vanduul ships thousands of kilometers away show that they are not doing any interest matching worth a crap, they probably just extended the range on the default values in cryengine). Doing that is feasible but your replication engine has to be built around it, so they are hosed unless they get a couple of capable people in there and give them the time and resources to address the issue.

So, hire me CIG, I do know about that poo poo.

If SC wasn't poo poo it would still have to make compromises that any similar type of game has to make. Doesn't Eve basically just slow down time once there is too much going on in one area and the server can no longer keep up? Fundamentally the only way to make such a game that plays in real time is to limit the maximum number of players that can interact with each other at once. Yes you can do clever things to exclude players from the calculations if it is impossible for them to interact but that isn't going to save you if they all the players decide to occupy the same area of space.

I suspect this is partially why space games fell out of favour for so long. With something like battlefield there are a lot of tricks you can use with level design and things like vehicle availability to spread the players in a manageable distribution and still keep the game fun. For a space game where the environment is mostly empty, good luck.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

:worship: lowtax, the king of shitposting.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Toops posted:

http://imperialnews.network/2015/11/around-verse-episode-2-08/

Some real gems in there.

Taking massive datasets of Croberts mocap diarrhea and trying to munge it into something usable? I don't wish this job on my worst enemy.

This is a massive undertaking, and just one of the infinity reasons why game designers don't loving make games of this scope.

By standardise do they mean that they have made all the characters the exact same size and shape? Like that isn't going to look wierd.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:allears:

Now this is interesting

You usually don't "update" a philosophy of something

I hope for great things

Well, if you discover your engine does not support shotguns and you are trying to develop a FPS you have to shift gears a little bit.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder just how much of CIG's efforts have been wasted because CR wanted to do things in his special snowflake way instead of a way that loving worked.

I'm guessing 50% easy. Though I'd say a fair amount of that is just general management incompetence not just Cr's special blend of incompetence.

Anybody know what studios they have now and what each is responsible for?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What do they care? It was a paying gig. I doubt Oldman cares, he's Gary loving Oldman. Mark Hamill is set for the foreseeable future, Gillian Anderson is doing crazy awesome, Mark Strong is Mark loving Strong, Andy Serkis has the studio that Chris spent millions to rent for months, and so forth. Star Citizen can bomb and none of them will blink an eye.

It's basically just going to be nothing more than an anecdote for them to talk about during interviews to promote what they work on next.

It really sounds like they have gone all in on mocap in a way that just isn't going to work. The talk of having a one size fits all skeleton they have to stretch and shrink the mocap data to fit sounds like they are going for a seamless integration of the cutscenes and the game. An almost impossible to solve problem that is just going to be a massive bottleneck that gets in the way of making pretty much any progress on any aspect of the game.

Going to be worse for CIG that they used big name actors because nobody is going to blame the actors when it all goes wrong and looks ridiculous. It's going to be blatantly obvious it's because CR is an idiot.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

- If you're going to use AAA actors in performance capture, why force their bodies to all be the same size? Gillian Anderson is 5'3". Mark Hamill is 5'9". Mark Strong is 6'2".

What else are you going to do if you are going for seamless integration? I would guess you either build mock sets for everything and capture every motion the character is ever going to make or you have this problem.

Imagine 10 hours of cutscenes where every movement of every limb of every character has to be continually tweaked and refined to make it look right. Only the original data is worse than you would expect because CR insisted you can just copy paste mocap data between completely different actors. So you only have proper data for the big scenes he wanted to play director in.

The I want to make a game that's actually a movie might be the most ambitious idea of them all.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

SeldomSeen posted:

I like to think that they don't know what it is or where it came from, let alone why it appears and disappears.

That's actually very likely to be the case. Just like the mystery game crashing shotgun that appeared from somewhere and thwarted multiple attempts to remove it from the map.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

WebDog posted:

Any capable animation system will have it so you can have someone walking and talking with independent cylces systems controlling the face separate from the head and from the body. So you can have a mo-cap walk cycle independent of a hand animated talk cycle.

CryEngine can do this and it uses the Annosoft synch engine which can match up with a text and voice recognition system much like Valve's. You then go in and add expressions to the rest of the face so it doesn't look dead.

Now most lip synch animation doesn't aim to replicate a human mouth 100% as we don't snap to set positions when talking so animating every phoneme would look a bit bizarre or take up a ton of time so visemes were developed as a shorthand to easily mimic human speech in an animated form.

Now each head model has to have it's phonemes and visemes modelled in Maya beforehand so the synch can merge the correct mouth positions. I suspect if you tried a one size fits all you'd start distorting the model.

I suspect they have taken data of all of the actors pulling their best parrrrp face to use as a backup for any redo on dialogues without zipping them into a gimp suit for the day....but they love the hard way....

Mocap facial animation still requires to be passed through Maya/Max and cleaned up (like removing all of Sandi's blinking) and then attached to a face rig and exported out. The main problem is a basic 3D head in a game doesn't have as much detail and flexibility as you would for a movie so compromises have to be made for it to work.
It's really disingenuous smoke and mirrors to be showing off cinema level mo-cap systems in your promotional videos where you are ultimately using only a fraction of it's power.

Compare this to something like Force Unleashed's method where they only used facial capture (adapted from ILM's CloneCam) but had multiple actors in the room so they could play off each other and react. The animators did the rest by hand.

I believe CR sees mocap combined with realtime 3d rendering tech as a movie production silver bullet. All you need is the big names to perform the major scenes and everything else is easy. After all you just tweak animation data a little and the game engine takes care of the rest.

Perfect for a hack that can't get it right ahead of time. In his head he can do what he always did, but now he has so much time afterwards to tweak it and make it perfect.

CR has basically gone all in on the idea that if he keeps polishing his own poo poo he is going to get gold.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

https://www.cloudimperiumgames.com/teams/Austin

Sure they are just look at them. All those people who definitely still work at CIG at the Austin office.

They have 71 open positions. If they have 300 employees than 71 is 25% of their current workforce. Bit strange for a company that only has a single product due to launch this year.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
https://www.cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs

Most of the posted dates are quite old so you would have to hope they often just forget to remove the jobs when they fill the position.

Otherwise if they are still looking to fill all those engineering positions I can't see how we will even see a release by the end of next year.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hanger flair if you are a subscriber. Walk up to it, it's next to the aquarium with a horny dolphin along with the scarf closet.

Then hit the <<USE>> key (who knows how that key is mapped on the Saitek, launching the space shuttle had less buttons compared to that shitfest but I digress) and watch your dick and wallet get sliced off. Immersion.

︽
USE

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

I love how he reportedly pays someone to tell him how to dress and yet is happy when they hand him the same nondescript black top every time. I guess you go into that line of business to charge as much as possible for as little real work as possible but that's just shameless.

I bet the right kind of slimy salesman can get a whales worth of cash out of CR in 5 minutes flat.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So I'm starting to think a lawsuit from Illfonic is not out of the picture in the near future. Broussard and Smart are both hinting at something big coming Soon, and that would certainly fit the bill. Everyone at CIG gets super cagey at any mention of Illfonic, who knows what kind of weirdness lead to the fall out. It's not that hard to imagine that all the toxic behavior that permeates CIG would spill into Illfonic as well...except Illfonic would have the means to do something about it.

Unlikely, it just looks like a pretty standard piece of contract work so things should be pretty watertight and leave little room for interpretation. CIG are cagey about it because it's a costly and avoidable gently caress up. In the case of CIG wrong doing I don't see what Illfonic would lose by waiting to start legal action. The quicker they act the quicker they get the money and the less people they have to layoff due to cashflow issues. For a small company laying people off only to have to take different people on a short while later is bad.

Anybody know how such contracts typically work? Is it possible that because CIG did not run the project through all the planned stages Illfonic retain ownership of all the work they did? So CIG spent a load of cash for literally nothing. That would at least be the most hilarious outcome.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Rhubarb94 posted:

That depends on them trying to make it work on console, which would involve planning and work and other things.

It would be easier and fit more closely with their overall development ethos to sell SQ42 for console with no plan or chance of ever releasing it.

I'm sure they will try the same way they try everything else. By adding devs but only managing to fill 75% of the critical positions and then incompetently try to shoehorn the new team into the existing company structure. It will just be another distraction from making any real progress along with all the others.

There is no way CR won't go for that. More expense, less progress and it will get rid of what little enthusiasm that exists for SQ42. The narrative will shift to it being a watered down console game to raise money for the real deal SC. Turning the few PC gamers off to try and attract console gamers that are not interested and never will be.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Well as long as Sean is working on EVA then that's all OK with me

He might work on it, or he might just not bother. Depends how he feels really.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

Depends also if he has a bicycle accident or not, otherwise coding might come to a standstill. :ohdear:

No. That's the beauty of the new strategy. Even if the whole company has a bicycle accident the new automated system will push out a patch right on schedule.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

alphabettitouretti posted:

Seems to be okay in the US, however other countries have much stronger consumer laws. I'm confused about why they were going to challenge that one dude's small claims action in the UK, they have not got a leg to stand on.

A lot of the time with those kinds of court actions the parties will talk and settle the matter before it gets to court. The court action just shows intent and also a fixed date to stop things dragging on and on. If they really didn't have a leg to stand on it's possible they just waited for court action to make sure he was serious then settled with him out of court on the condition he doesn't discuss it.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Booblord Zagats posted:

Suicide would do that, yeah

Yeah right. He will just go back to his fan site where he will rewrite history to match whatever bullshit conspiracy CR claims prevented him from realising his genius vision. There :lesnick: gets to decide what is canon and win every argument because he is the ultimate authority as he saw it all with his own eye and therefore is right and everybody else is wrong and has to do what he says.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm starting to feel like SC is really an avant-garde art project attempting to destroy the meaning of language around software development. After ~3 years I think the terms 'open development', 'pipeline', 'design', 'refactoring' and maybe a dozen other words have been so conceptually obliterated that future software teams will be reduced to grunting and rude gestures to describe their process.

The whole thing is outsider art led by an incompetent. On that level the development is fascinating as will the eventual product if we ever see it.

It's not going to be a crap game because the process is not good enough to produce a good game. It's going to be a crap game because the people in charge of the process don't even know what a good game looks like let alone understand what it takes to make one. CR will get his legacy alright, just not the one he wished for.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

runsamok posted:

How much of the difficulty in implementing "The Vision" is due to the initial wrong choice of the CryEngine & the endless doubling down on that first terribly wrong choice?

Hard to tell because with CIG it's making the wrong decision and doubling down on it all the way down. Or to put it another way, you know the infinite worlds theory? Well even that doesn't allow for the possibility where you give CR $100 million and no oversight and he delivers a good game.

Though at least cryengine got the hilarity started early.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJZbPI5nKE&t=309s

stinch fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 6, 2016

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

runsamok posted:

Evidently in the 30th century, everyone is the exact same height, but there MAY be something in the CryEngine that might (and this is by no means definite) allow them to make some different weights.

More game development waves crashing against the rock which is CryEngine.

I don't think that's the fault of cryengine but instead of trying to make a game that is actually an interactive movie and thinking you can get reuse out of mocap data.

Think about something like shaking hands where each persons actions has heavy dependencies on the other party. Now imagine you have 30 different characters and want them all to be able to shake hands in game. You could mocap them all shaking hands with the same prop. Even that is going to look odd for the actors at the extreme ends of size, plus viewers are going to notice every time someone shakes hands they are oriented in the same position.
Every time you want the characters to interact with each other or with the environment in ways that you did not specifically build a set for and act out the same problem occurs.

I think that's the problem they have. CR thinks mocap and a real time rendering engine is film making in easy mode but has fallen victim to garbage in garbage out and his inability to find compromise. He won't compromise to what is reasonable to produce with the tech available and is trying to shortcut around having to make a set for and literally act out every scene in the game.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Chalks posted:

The thing that annoys me the most about this design is the holes at the top and bottom of the tip of the weapon. Presumably this is a muzzle brake, designed to dissipate the hot gasses that propel the projectile along the barrel of a gun.

Makes sense.

Nah, CR just started measuring artist productivity by how many polygons they produce.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

starkebn posted:

can someone explain the fidelity of 100-tonne space craft popping into existence on the launch pads? Could they not lift them up from below or something?

Ships start vibrating and jumping around enough as it is. No way their psyics engine could deal with ships on an elevator.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

MilesK posted:

Wait.. Did eight ace just confirm money laundering? Why would German bikers and Eastern European militants be obsessed with this stupid game?

So they can be nationalist fucks in space probably. Escapism just like all the other broken losers that are obsessed with the game.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
:gary::gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

slam dunking a page 2000 snype no edits - check this out

:pgabz:

• Locked thread