Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

i feel that kimsemus should have been freed

personally

But you forget dear friend.

I am a member of Goonrathi. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Final victory achieved. Got my 2012 money back.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Hey, congrats man. How long did it take them to get it out to you?

About two months from the time I first got a response to my ticket and now.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my question is

does kimsemus even want freedom

Is a man not entitled to freedom, friend?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Kicked out of Goonrathi for not being a pedophile apologist.

:perfect:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I just read they began denying refunds.

Want to see the best screenshot I have of playing Star Citizen?

10/10 game, would recommend. :v:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

...so did they free you?

Yep, totally cashed out a few months ago. Basically just told them I backed in 2012, highlighted a bunch of design promises they didn't keep, missed deadlines, etc, and they gave me all my money back.

And they did it after I transferred everything off the account that I had traded for and had no refund value and put it on a sock puppet account. :toot:

At one time, long ago, I sort of believed this game might happen, now I'm just sad to see they've concocted some bullshit excuse as to why they will no longer provide people still trapped refunds. Sucks man.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

"Free Kimsemus" has become a meme here, I was making a lovely joke

Congrats on your :10bux:x40 back man, hope you're happy now that you've ruined Chris's dream

I will only be truly free once I have my day in space court. :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Decrepus posted:

That wouldn't even buy a waste bin at the CIG office.

But it would buy a picture of a wastebin, with the promise to deliver said trash receptacle at a later date. :v:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
What happened with all the speculation that CIG had private investors that weren't crowdsourced? I heard rumor some months ago that investors were around that had pumped cash into SC? Did that get debunked?

fuzzknot posted:

Bootcha and I talked/argued a lot about that before he found out much of what he's disclosed in this thread. His thinking was that surely some employee would have come forward by now if there were anything that foul really going on. I've had several years of experience in retail and theatre, both industries where complaining gets you nowhere but for different reasons, and I pointed out that there are many reasons employees might not come forward, not the least of which is a lack of legal protection.

In my own bad experiences in retail, my reasons for not coming forward or reporting issues included not knowing my rights, not caring enough because it was a seemingly minor issue, not caring because I knew I wouldn't stay there much longer anyway, fearing retaliation (including firing), not being able to prove anything, not being able to afford a lawyer, etc.

The only times I actually did anything about it were filing a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission issuing a final demand for wages from an employer who casually decided not to give me my last paycheck, and the time a group of female stagehands (including me) complained to HR because the female assistant stage manager wasn't giving any of us calls for work. The former was successful; the latter was not (due to aforementioned failure to actually provide solid proof).

For many people, if you leak or whistleblow in the games industry and your identity is found out, it's tantamount to career suicide. People might not like what is going on around them, but they also like to eat. A lot of industries are like this, whistleblower laws be damned. You're damaged goods in comparatively insular industry of developers and publishers. Or, for some people, it's just a paycheck and so long as you still get paid, why give a poo poo, or why sink the ship early that's allowing you to cash your checks.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 2, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

D_Smart posted:

That rear end in a top hat is blocked on Twitter. So what's this about then?

no clue but I took a screencap for you:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

Bootcha is one of my favorite people here because he had the money to invest in a dream project and he did it. If I had the money to do something like that, I would too. But then when things went obviously south he remained objective enough to get the gently caress out.

cool guy overall IMO

Can someone fill me in on the Bootcha saga? This thread goes really fast and I'm sure I missed it.

fuctifino posted:

Publishing is/used to be like that too.

16 years ago, I worked for a 'black' (as in unregistered) publishing company in Paris that was run by a cokehead. I was one of the only salaried people there, the rest being abused unpaid interns. She never paid her rent or printing bills, nor did she declare taxes. She treated her staff like slaves, yet nobody had the courage to complain for fear of destroying any future career in publishing.

I also worked for a really dodgy (yet relevant and important) medical journal which used blackmail and politics to select which medical journals to publish. Most important studies had to cite the owner's dead-for-30-year husband's very-outdated research before they'd get published, and it had a stupidly high and thoroughly fraudulent impact factor of 9.x at one time. I saw really important studies being binned just because x worked at such and such and y went to the wrong university. Again, nobody complained for fear of being blacklisted. I could write an entire thread about that job now that the owner is dead. lol

I think corruption and nepotism is a part of most jobs and is expected to a degree, and smart people find ways to just work within that corruption (sounds like you did) but it can go way, way too far, and CIG is a really good example of that.

CIG is like a drug dealer in a drug ridden city -- the cops sort of turn a blind eye to most dealers because it's not worth the time and trouble and it's sort of just the way things are, but when one druglord (croberts) simply gets too big and draws too much attention, eventually he's going to have to go down for it. Too many waves and all that.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 2, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Kind of poo poo that CIG would squander the enthusiasm, friendliness, time, and money of Bootcha, a man that believed in them so much like that.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

This post should just be in the OP, tia.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Hello, it is a new day, does Star Citizen exist yet

jk of course it doesnt

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

ZenMaster posted:

Oh, so I am NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN. It took 3 days... 3 freaking days to cut this together...

:siren: https://sendvid.com/yucw76yl :siren:

Just to make someone possibly laugh on the internet. I need help.

:eyepop:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Booblord Zagats posted:

Honestly I do agree with this guy a bit. Elite is an amazingly engineered game and a wonderful proof of concept, but it suffers from the issues EVE did the first few years

Not enough ships, you always feel alone and there's not much to do if you can't make your own fun

Also, Star Marine LARPers are already a thing

Is this for real

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

beep_boop posted:

It might be ready for me in 2017?

:gary:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

EightAce posted:

To put a myth to bed, most of the grunts in the UK actually really like Sandi and think she's a nice person, I'm being serious, and I know different ,but just saying ....
As you can see 'Im catching up on the thread and last I was around I think Sandi hate was still raging?
Also bare in mind that UK residents are the most cynical bastards on the planet so she is clearly doing something right , she just doesn't seem to be able to transfer this likability over to the colonies.
Our Hun friend has not yet announced to the general populace that he is leaving but it will be out there soon enough.

It's like you went down to the track, and all the horses were lined up. All of them find breeds, excellent stock, with good odds, except that one mangled horse from Australia that didn't show up because she was spending backer money on vacations and wallpaper, and you bet all your money on that one.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

runsamok posted:

My question is though is how much of this added complexity is from using CryEngine as the basis of this unified experience. Would Unreal Engine 4 or Unity or something be better?

I know nothing about game engine featuresets, but can only extrapolate how bad CryEngine must be as they seem to be gutting almost everything except the renderer to make it work & endlessly blame the engine's weaknesses for reasons their bodge jobs don't quite work out.

CryTek is also furious with CIG -- CIG poached a number of senior CryTek engineers in order to have the necessary expertise to make CryEngine work with what they wanted to do. That was being pretty heavily reported a year or so ago, but they've more or less burned that bridge in order to shoehorn an engine into doing something it was never designed to do in the name of visual fidelity.

I think sometimes you have to make an early decision to design your own engine instead of using an existing one by analyzing the time and money it would take to modify existing code as opposed to crafting your own, and based on how far gone the initial deadlines are, I think CIG chose incorrectly.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 6, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Braben also keeps all his people in a single building, has a well defined plan for his release schedule, has steadily monetized his game in a manner that isn't hilariously abusive, and seems to underpromise and then overdeliver.

Meanwhile Roberts seems to set up new studios on a whim, routinely fails to maintain a schedule due to his own ineptitude, has constructed his business model around exploiting gullible idiots, and can't stop hyping his utter failure of a product.

I remember, many moons ago, when beer believed in Star Citizen. Now we all love to hate CIG together, and it seems there are fewer and fewer white knights daily. :v:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Sperglord posted:

Speaking of White Knights, if you read the reddit thread posted above, about a youtuber pledging to Star Citizen, you can see that they're already consoling themselves if CIG fails.

Examples:
DragonTHC- Golden Ticket 24 points

Kant_Lavar- Vice Admiral 6 points

The White Knights are already planning for a failure, they're already preparing their mental landscape to handle the incoming blow.

This is a classic case of "moving the goal posts until I can feel like I didn't waste my money"

From my perspective, having only been in the loop since about August, it seems crazy that seemingly reasonably sane people went on believing for so long

The crazy must have slipped in very slowly and successively

I backed back in September 2012, and spent a little bit more money in 2013 on SC. I think for a little while, it actually seemed possible. I think the wheels began falling of the court for me, personally, when they passed the 6.5M mark of their final stretch goal to give the Bengal Carrier in the PU, and then just started adding more and more absurd poo poo that to me just translated into +1 month of dev time, +3 months, etc etc.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
They've made poo poo way too difficult now, here is the simple email I sent, and with a little back and forth confirmation (and patience), got my $400 back from CIG:

quote:

Hello,
My name is [Kimsemus], I was a very early backer (2012) for Star Citizen, but I am now requesting a refund for the money I have spent. The game I was promised then, and since then, is not the game that is being delivered now, and it is not being delivered on the timeframe promised. As such, I feel that the money I have spent is not in line with CIG’s current vision or for what is presently being advertised. I understand that making a game takes much time and effort, however, what I agreed to back in the past is not what is being delivered now. I would like a full refund, as none of the products I’ve purchased have actually been “used” in a meaningful way, or been privy to function or application in the game that was promised.
Since I’ve been backing over several years, I know longer have access to some of those original bank accounts so I hope they can be refunded to my current Visa or Paypal.

The relevant order IDs are:

[Several order IDs]

The total amount should equal $400.00 USD.
My current paypal address, if relevant, is [my paypal address]
Please contact me with any further questions.
Regards,

[Kimsemus]

A day or so later, I got a response from someone named Mike Meaden at CIG:

quote:

Hey there,
I'm happy to confirm that we've authorised your refund request. I just need to run you through the process and receive one last confirmation before I proceed.
First of all the following things will not be refundable:
• Pledges/packages received from other users
• Pledges/packages sent to other users
• Pledges/packages purchased with store credit that came from gifted pledges
• Subscription payments
• Delivered physical items
With this in mind I have researched your account log and history and determined that the amount you are entitled to comes to $400.00 USD. If you would like to see a more in-depth breakdown please let me know and I will detail how I came to this value.
I will also need you to confirm your PayPal e-mail address in case your orders are too old to reverse. Any order which is older than 14 days is not normally eligible for a refund and the payment handlers we use do not support reversals after this grace period. In these cases we will issue a PayPal Send Money order manually. If you do not own a PayPal account would you be averse to creating one for this purpose?
Given the above information and refundable amount. Would you still like to proceed with the refund? Note that this is your final confirmation and the refund will be actioned as soon as I receive your reply (or not, should the case be retracted by yourself). This refund should appear on your statement with 7-10 working days.
Additionally, this will result in a full account closure. We will not be able to leave any remaining pledges active, nor will we be able to leave the account open. These actions, whilst unfortunate, are mandatory and permanent. This is the primary reason I require one last confirmation that you wish to proceed. :)
Thanks,
Mike

I then asked a basic question as to why they were closing accounts, just to mine some info:

quote:

Hey [Kimsemus]
Refunds past the initial grace period of 14 days, or such longer grace period as required by applicable local regulations, are entirely exceptional. Our TOS entitles you to a refund if requested within this grace period but not for any refunds requested thereafter. In accordance with our TOS we are not legally obligated to offer a refund in this case.
However, as a goodwill gesture we have made an exception to offer a refund despite these facts. There will be no entry for this in our TOS because of the exceptional nature of this offer. The condition for this is that we do not offer partial refunds or allow refunded accounts to remain open in these cases. Without this measure, the system would be open to abuse.
This stance allows us to counter abuse inherent with making goodwill gestures of this kind. This is as much for our protection as it is to honour your request.
Let me know if you'd still like to proceed. :)
Thanks,
Mike

Then I got a couple emails apologizing for a delay since Mike was out of the office from someone named Patrick Probst, then:

quote:

Hey there,

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience thus far. I am happy to confirm that I have actioned the refund for $400.00 USD via PayPal Send Money. It can take 5-10 working days for the funds to appear.

Your old account has also been permanently de-activated. This account has also been re-activated.

Should you have any further questions or concerns let me know. :)
Thanks,
Mike

Hope that helps someone. His reactivation comment is because I created a parachute account for any items I couldn't actually get money back for, which apparently, at least at the time, CIG was okay with. This entire exchange took place between October 16 and November 12 of last year.

Based on some other chatter mails I got, it also appears that Mike Meaden was tasked exclusively with doing the refunds, as Patrick mentioned that he was sick and out of the office, which resulted in a backlog.

Derek wrote this, but he should really consider pasting it into the OP:

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-2192

With people getting outright denied now, if you want out, you've nothing to lose by filing a complaint.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 9, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Question of the hour: Is there a development studio or team on the face of the planet that could pull of Star Citizen?

Let's assume that:

1) Chris/Sandi Roberts are not involved in any way.
2) As far as "pull off" I mean, following the bullet points of promises as outlined in the funding milestones and kickstarter.

I'm really wracking my brain, and I can't think of a team with the unlimited funding, time, and expertise to do this. So to me, CIG being incompetent is not the reason SC will never happen, it's just that eventually, especially after the *original* funding promises were met, that the game became impossible.

Also with the new gas truck thing, having to fuel poo poo manually? Why do they insist on making awful things I don't want to do in real life and transcribing those terrible jobs into a video game I'm supposed to play in my leisure time?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

fuzzknot posted:

:iamafag:

:allears:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Chalks posted:

"Star Citizen won't be going to PAX aus because Ben doesn't want to fly there"

Ben is Star Citizen confirmed.

The FAA has strict regulations in regards to maximum weight.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tippis posted:

I'm going to say yes. With two caveats: a choice has to be made to resolve the incompatibilities between some of the things that have been promised. aleksendr points out a couple of ideas that don't really work together on a conceptual level. So we probably have to allow the team to take the promises and jettison some that don't can't be done for that reason. The other is that we probably, somewhat paradoxically, have to buy into CRobber's narrative of being free of the nasty ebil publisher. It's paradoxical because I think that the only ones who could pull it of are some of the top development houses attached to said publishers — companies that would never be insane enough to try something like this.

It would have to be an Ubi or EA game, where they make an unholy alliance with some of the properly insane milsim teams: people like Eagle Dynamics or Bohemia. Guys who have their own engine expertise combined with guys who have enough OCD to care about the fiddly bits.

But that's assuming you want to do it all at once. If you allow it to grow organically over time, with more and more features added, then we're basically looking at a longer-term, and slightly differently focused CCP or Frontier…

I agree with this, and what aleksendr said. Even when I backed in 2012 I was curious as to how a PU would work alongside private servers with custom rulesets, and truth be told high population private servers is what I wanted to begin with, where I could strip out all the realism things I or others didn't like and build a fun private experience from there, similar to what some Arma III servers do.

In order to do what CIG is trying to do after resolving the idiosyncrasies in design would require an unholy union of developers with broad skillsets. CCP for the server architecture and design, Bohemia for the realism/sim bits, People on the E:D team for the space bits, DICE/EA for the FPS bits, and someone like Actiblizzard to literally throw money at it until it's done.

Chris Roberts have at once both exposed the greatest boon and greatest weakness of having no publisher to answer to:

On the one hand you can design the game you want unfettered, on the other, there is no one to reign you in when necessary whispering "Remember Caesar, thou art mortal".

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

fuckin lol

I'm really confused about this whole "stimpire" thing.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

:yikes:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Toops posted:

Ok, few pages back, but I'm gonna try to answer this honestly. I've thought a lot about it. I'm not sorry about the length.

No, I don't think it's possible to make a game of Star Citizen's scope today. It's not because game engines can't do it. It's because we lack the communication and dev tools required to break the art-code boundary.

There's a huge problem in game design that's been there from the start: 3d art assets are tightly coupled to the code that controls them, but they are developed almost completely separately by people with very different kinds of brains. Artists operate in the visual control space. Programmers operate in the logical control space. These modes of thought aren't very compatible. This problem becomes magnified by scope, which is another word for complexity.

The pressure on the art-code boundary rises exponentially with increased complexity. This is why simple games with limited scope have been hitting so hard, and why large projects with unbounded scope keep falling flat. Fallout 4 is a good game, but you can see right where the vision and the execution exploded and had to be walked back to feasibility.

No one can deny CIG has brilliant artists, and very talented programmers. But we can all see what's happening: Some senior 3d artist takes specific vision for an asset and works hard, using every ounce of their technical and creative knowledge to build that asset. Then, through a primitive and largely un-evolved process, they "hand it off" to the engineers, who have poured out every ounce of their capability into a complex framework to control those assets, which meets the technical requirements. Without fail, when the engineers are handed the assets, they go "gently caress. Well, that's not gonna work with the system we've designed." So they hack apart their logical framework, or send it back to the artist to hack apart their visual framework, or both (usually both), and generally squash and dismember the original intent just to get the loving thing to work at all.

Now, throw into this the third wheel, the "visionary," who sees this compromised end-product, and says "Guys, this isn't good enough. Do it again." The artists and engineers know that in a way he's right. He's just an idiot for asking for it in the first place, and not giving them the tools to succeed. But gently caress it, they're still getting a paycheck so they embark again to get it right, and end up make the same exact mistakes.

This is the precise loop that SC is in right now, and the only solution is to reduce complexity. That's the only possible way anything will ever be playable. This is why Derek is spot-on when he says this game won't be delivered as described. But Chris won't do it.

The bottom line is, Chris Roberts is a loving fool for having such hubris and ignorance. You think it's "revolutionary" to take every feature you think is cool and throw it in a soup?? That's the opposite of vision. A visionary sees what other don't, and everyone has seen what he does, and said "nope, that's a terrible idea, because it's not feasible."

This is a good post and I think explains one of the key problems quite well, thank you.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Moogle posted:

Speaking as a developer; if you're in the industry and you can't see the giant red flags visible from space, (both the common ones and the less-so) you're a terrible developer. No ifs, buts, or maybes. You're useless at your job and I would fire you in a heartbeat.

I think there is the common misconception that many of the developers give a gently caress about SC being completed or not, and are instead just producing high quality assets for a company and collecting a paycheck. You're assuming that they all should jump ship because SC is destined to fail, instead of just getting paid and quitting when they stop getting paid, because that is how most jobs work.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Moogle posted:

Not talking about the developers earning a penny - that's life. I'm talking about outside; the ones putting money in - not those poor crunching buggers keeping food on the table.

E: Hell, at least lots of the developers at CIG are doing great work on their portfolios for later :D

Ah, I understand!

It actually reminds me of the people that invest in obvious MLM or ponzi schemes -- they desperately want to believe a 20% ROI quarterly is a real thing, so they dump their money into it because they so desperately want reality to be the way they perceive it. Sandi pulls this trick on backers every single day -- " Look at what could be, if only you give us your money, all your dreams can come true!"

But they don't. It's all a lie, and people lose everything. Beer months ago made a post about how Sandi is going to handle it when SC fails and some backers put a gun in their mouth. I don't think he was being funny or hyperbolic. I, sadly, truly believe this is a thing that will happen.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 13, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Oh hey look at this badge of shame I found in the bottom of a drawer:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Dr Smart, what is the progress on that class action suit? If I recall, I think I signed up as interested when you asked for emails, and been keeping up with your blogs, but wondering what your next move is, and where your endgame plan is?

PS thanks for the Line of Defense key, the game is in rough shape now but I've been looking to scratch my Planetside itch, so will be keeping track of progress!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Baller Time posted:

Solar Plebian merchandise starter kit: Utilikilt, trillby, hand crafted drinking glass. 427,99 USD

Is that price for the items themselves or just a set of .jgps? Either way good deal I hope this goes towards making all our dreams come true.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

It's funny because I already shared most of my details, and I'll screenshot my entire interaction with customer service, my refund, and everything else if you want. :v:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Hey guys I'm back after 1000 pages, I can't wait to play this game with you, it's out now right?

Oh boy oh boy!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Wafflz posted:

3 words: procedurally generated fish

This is exactly what everyone demanded and envisioned and well worth the years of delays! :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

mrking posted:

You guys have this all wrong. This is the new version of the Persistent Universe. CIG is breaking ground in new persistent systems.

I've been trolling that wall wrap post since this morning. The mental gymnastics backers go through to justify that sort of expense is...nothing short of remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

G0RF posted:

One of the biggest unknowns right now is CIG's cash position. We've heard they're flush with cash (EightAce) and that they're nearly out (Derek).

We have no line of sight into this matter-- only gossip, and the gossip is contrary.

What we do have-- imperfect as it is-- is a possible means of gauging revenue via their Stretch Goals tracker. And we've watched that pretty closely for a long time-- trying to make guesses about any emerging trends, wondering when we might see capitulation, curious about whether splitting their IP into two sellable assets would be accretive or destructive.

We've also made guesses, Beer most specifically I think, about monthly overhead costs for the entire operation(s). It's hard to believe it's less than $100k a day (~$3M a month).

Recent sales have been lackluster to alarming. Demand refuses to be sustained over the durations of past glory sales. Even without elective spending on $15,000 coffee machines, upgraded international airfare, and new MoCap shoots (already rumored to be running at 12x their original budget) -- CIG may be entering a time of relative famine.

This is why the question of "How much cash do they have?" is especially interesting. Because if they're running on empty, then a bankruptcy or distressed sale is potentially right around the corner. If they're fat with some unknown investor cash, then some shortfall months don't really matter.

We are seeing more and more circumstantial evidence that CIG is blocking the exits and widening the doors. Refunds are denied as a matter of policy when once they were accommodated quickly. The change -- which had no official explanation beyond "sorry no more refunds read your ToS" -- suggests some degree of concern about husbanding cash.

Now-- we also know that, as of the beginning of the year, CIG had NO ROADMAP at all for PTU development. None. They admitted as much on AtV-- happily, in fact. As if that was entirely commonplace as opposed to a warning sign. It IS commonplace at CIG but atypical elsewhere. Then we heard rumors (from Derek and EightAce) that they'd devised their new development priorities after a big confab with senior management. And the order of the day? Making in game asset sales a reality ASAP. Yet back ended by what? Earnable credits? Or actual credit cards (as with their web based means of selling).

Now-- looking at the "unmelt" token policy in particular, it too is very telling. CIG claimed that, for technical reasons, they had to greatly limit the supply and not allow them to be accrued over time. What this really means is quite obvious-- if they granted backers easy means to melt/unmelt they would be potentially damaging the sale of new ships to those same backers.

They are giving more and more signs that they need to restrict their users and plan to continue doing so. What makes matters worse for the backers is that, over the last half of last year, they effectively poisoned the gray market as an outside means of true liquidity. Formerly exclusive ships might've commanded a high price on the traders market- but CIG reintroduced many and thus flooded supply and destroyed demand. Similar gambits took place with LTI.

What is very telling in all of this is that it is so bloody ad hoc. They are making things up as they go-- everywhere-- and this tells us probably that all their thinking is tactical (if that). It's in response to changing conditions on the ground.

If capitulation is really here, and cash is really low, then we are going to see more and more obvious signs of it from a panicked CIG. And if the gambits they devise over panicked meetings don't work, then we will start seeing telltale signs of cash panics. Major cost cutting / office shut downs / layoffs.

All that said-- we still do not know what their cash situation is. To hear Chris and Erin talk, they haven't a care in the world's they e got time to spare. There is not sword ranging over their heads.

Sorry this was rambly but I'm in a hurry and on a phone. This is just meant to help you understand why these little signs-- like stores EVERYWHERE in game as the latest reveal-- might be telling us something. "Alpha UEC" is telling us something (because it will not be permanent).

It seems like they're telling us -- and backers -- quite a bit. And it's good news for people that like bad news.

Your line about blocking the exits and widening the door, that is a good line and an excellent way to frame what is going on I think. A lack of transparency at CIG is troubling (Although the white knights and zealots are easily fooled by the Pied Piper transparency Sandra Roberts feeds them), but when you read between the lines like denying refunds now, it sort of shows you where their mind is at. I got my refund and the emails sorrounding it made it seem like a perfectly normal thing I was asking and they would be happy to do so as a courtesy. Then, less than a month later, they slammed the door shut and have chained the handles. Why would a company do this? It's not as though you could abuse a refund policy for a product that doesn't depreciate and doesn't exhibit wear and tear.

The only logical conclusion is husbanding cash. That's the only possibility. Watch what big box retailers do in the US market with their refund policies as well -- when a company is hurting for cash, one of the first things they do is modify and reduce their refund policies. I worked in retail long enough to know that that was usually the first writing on the wall of insolvency.

• Locked thread