Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I was playing with the thought of buying SC today....then I realised that there is no singular SC to buy so I went nah.

But I'm happy to see we have a dedicated SC hate thread, don't mind me, I'll just sit here and watch :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Matlock Birthmark posted:

This is also the recipes, cattes, and Eonwe thread. Relax, post about your favorite birds in Star Citizen. Oh, and I feel a bit bad about that last comment on Eonwe. I'll make up for it.

This made approximately zero % sense to me.

I think I'll like this place!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Wait WHAT? The SHIPS cost real life money!?!??!

(I actually already knew this, I just never really get over the ludicrous pricetags).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Help a newcomer out: What's with the whaling talk?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

A whale is gambling parlance for the small number of people who contribute the majority of their revenue - degenerates and addicts, mostly. It translates well into the f2p world, where only something like 1-5 % of the players actually contribute money, but those that do can pay ludicrous sums.

Hm! Interesting! I've never heard the term used in such context. Good to know!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Space garbage truck, is that a thing yet?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Space whaler ship! I know no one has done that joke by now!

Call Me Spacemael!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Cause Chris Roberts is a manchild.

This might be wishful thinking on my part, but would you say he is to game developing what Tim Buckley am (was? I hear he's gotten better) to webcomics. I joined SA with archive upgrade for the sole purpose of reading through the CAD Mock Threads and I've desperately searched for a substitute mock subject since they were closed.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

alphabettitouretti posted:

It is forbidden to play as Oddjob.

Urrrgghhh....just got some Vietnam-esque flashbacks.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Somehow I feel that the average Star Citizen wouldn't be too cool with the idea of it being harder to hit women.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The last thing CIG needs is to have programmers and animators have to spend hundreds of man hours making a reiterating a seat adjust animation.

So basically, next time we get the chance, we'll ask if the game will have adjustable cockpitchairs. Their answer will be something akin to the one regarding birds....

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Well we're not called Something Awful for nothing amirite?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

Hahahaha this guy is a loving gold mine.

Him using the word "Sub-human" nonironically now made a lot more sense.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Barnsy posted:

I'm trying to download this poo poo test-bed to ruin someone's day, and holy poo poo is their download client horrible. You can't stop a download and reboot, it'll just start from scratch. I left it on overnight to download, it stopped halfway for no apparent reason.

Omg really? REALLY?

I just got yet ANOTHER reason not to even thinking about touching this then.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I hope Mark Hamill sees this and then finds some loophole somewhere that allows him to cut any and all ties to this project.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Do we have a consensus regarding the scam theories here on SA?

Admittedly, I've only just recently started to dig into SC and its development but from what I've seen, it smells more like abundant incompetence than downright foul play.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

It does sound like a balancing nightmare when you have one ship for 50 bucks on one side and one for 1000 on the other.

The more I read about SC, the more I respect E:D. I'm glad that I put my money on that horse.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The one aspect I simply cannot understand no matter how hard I try is how anyone can justify buying or "funding" a game content with a price tag of thousands of dollars. How did they even justify the prices of the ships? Based on the time and effort of its development or based on its promised performance in the game?

I've spent a lot of money over the years to buy and upgrade my computers. The key difference being, I know exactly what I get, and when I get it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Local Pizzeria got the best thing ever.

Chicken, mozzarella, chevre, red onion and honey. Best pizza around.

This is very relevant, obviously.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

My (for real) mentally challenged brother would be able to see that SC is an investment in futility.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

They better be careful...push us too far and we might just get organised. An army of Goons...hellbent on the destruction of everything the Star Citizen holds dear.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Lvlcapgaming got a new video on SC up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL7maX7l824

He sounds very positive about it. Wonder how much he spent.....

e: first real negative words came 10 minutes in. Seems legit.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 26, 2015

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes but it wasn't running CryEngine so clearly it was inferior.

I like to think that CR is seriously considering starting over with Redengine3 instead, since Tge Witcher 3 came out this year and blew minds everywhere with its immersive forests.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How does the ships handle, when you actually get to fly them? E:D has some very believable ship-physics IMO, or as believable as I can imagine it, since I've never flown a spaceship....yet.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Currently in E:D, I'm approximately 12 000 LY from Sol. I haven't played consistently, but last time I saw another ship, AI or player, was sometime early summer 2015.

I still feel I got a bigger chance of stumbling across a fleet of Anacondas out here than Sc ever living up to its promises.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

I did the same for ours

Fuckin awesome

Oh my GOSH I almost squealed at work. A beardy 25 year old tram conductor squealing over cat-ties. This is what this thread has brought me to.

Thank you.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Space Skeleton posted:

Some heavier than others. Here is what happened when a trade org posted on reddit that they found a super amazing trade route involving a 6 G world and encouraged people to bring their biggest heaviest haulers to come take advantage of the amazing (fake) opportunity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDebwFrQdeU

What's really great about this (for great it certainly is) is that this is trolling without exploiting a game-mechanic, glitch or bug, but rather the gullible traders who takes any advice at face value.

E:D allows sophisticated trolling. SC allows chaotic.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

All I can picture is Tim buckleys digital overload (dubbed digital underwhelm by the fans) people payed money to go to an event where the fans would meet and get together and through sheer headfuckery and terrible decisions they ended up with a big arse empty warehouse with the most pitiful small paddling pool filled with about a dozen balls and a ton of bronies and furries.

That was the entire event..... I can only imagine what cig what will do when they try to advertise themselves again, after the fiasco with him not being able to play his own game.

From some pages back but still....this was EXACTLY what went through my mind. DO got less and less ambitious and well-funded with each year and I will assume that SC will go the same route in terms of marketing.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I'm very invested in E:D and I stroll around here to see how the competition is doing. Not well, apparently.

Also, to my knowledge, this is the only dedicated Mock Thread on SA worthy of my attention.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Just promise them dreams beyond their imaginations and they'll buy any and all forum upgrades you can churn out!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sweden wishes you all a happy new year and I hope we have many pages of SC ridiculing ahead of us.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Get the distinct feeling that a very destructive pathogen has been going berserk in this thread for the last couple of pages. I seem to have been spared though, since I understood nothing of it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Thus far, SC has had the total budget of about 100 million, which is about half the cost for making Star Wars VII.

I'm comparing to a movie because clearly, CR want this to be one.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Chalks posted:

Star Citizen - Buying the $15,000 completionist package unlocks the Javelin for purchase at the store

Chris Almighty, if EA tried something like this, they'd be chased out of town in a heartbeat.

But because it's an "open development" and the money is "donations", it's fine.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

There is absolutely no way to justify that price tag, no way at all.

Can we name our ships in SC? I'd like to buy a cheap one and name it "Pequod". I got some whaling to do...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Well GTA V was shock filled with tedious and boring mini-games, so perhaps it is a valid comparison....when SC goes gold, that is.

Right now, SC looks more like a virtual money sink.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Well gee, looks like someone saw The Force Awakens, saw Han Solo do a thing, and then thought "that's a perfect feature in SC!"

The bigger question now is: do we have lightsabers in SC, and when will they be implemented.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Keep fighting the good fight, citizen.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

ZenMaster posted:

Come one, come all.

Turn down your lights, put in your earbuds. Experience horror like never before. Feel a chill and marvel at the hellscape before you:

:froggonk:http://sendvid.com/an95v768:froggonk:

With this, SA has officially delivered. I can now officially say that I will never be sorry I payed to register to an Internet forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

'The big debate' :lol:

So. "The Big Debate" can now refer to two things:

1. The disagreement between astronomers regarding the size and nature of the universe, specifically if it extends beyond our Galaxy.

Or

2. Arguments between Shitizens about fishing in Star Citizen.

• Locked thread