Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

fuctifino posted:

In the Batigirl interview, Sandi says that it's far easier to work an extra 2 hours each day than to hire 3-4 extra people. And she implied she does't have any dates or milestones within the game (probably because there are none full-stop). She loses her composure whilst talking (at around 14m mark), and I'd love for GORF to do one of his great analysis of the interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRxdNDqwXvY
I'm dying to get at it. Hopefully later tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Watched the Sandi interview. Sorry for a wall of :words:.

This was not, unfortunately, the wonderland of goodness that Sandi offered last time. AP posted that in and rightly noted it was AMAZING. (Seriously, watch it if you missed it!)

First takeaways...

1) Do backers pay to fly the Roberts' three kids to Manchester when Sandi decides to bring them?

2) A $550 HOTAS?! Bloody hell is that really what they want to charge for that goofy monstrosity?! (I'm laughing thinking about that MadCatz conference call where they spoke bullishly about their partnership with Star Citizen... It's embarrassingly hideous. One of the goofiest looking co-branded products in tech. [i]"Get a Warthog, citizen! THAT thing isn't going to prompt snickers from visiting friends and might even prompt gadget envy from fellow overcompensating boymen!"[/url]

3) "Everything under control-- situation normal." (Mad props for turning in a loopy, not-a-care-in-the-world performance, Sandi. The softball questions made it easy, though.)

4) I know we take this for granted right now but I'm still amazed at how breezily talks about her ongoing acting career. She's had old RtV episodes purged from Twitch to remove proof that she auditions a lot-- yet does end of year livestreams and fake Scully interviews while tatted up for stuff she's in the middle of filming. No matter how often she tells tales off her workaholic schedule (up at 4am to answer emails from the UK! Answering 1800 trouble tickets over a single weekend!) -- the fact remains. She's acting in indie movies and auditioning for new parts. She sure as hell isnt telling her agent "I'll only audition on weekends" and isn't telling any directors "okay I'll take the part but we're going to have to triple the shooting schedule so we only film Saturday's and Sundays." The optics on this are terrible and why she erases past proofs of it while creating new present evidence for her divided loyalties makes no sense.

5) It's four years in and she still seems to have only a fleeting understanding of their backer demographics.

6) CIG is planning to branch into Cosplay Merch? Did I get that right? As with the $550 Hotas, it seems like their Merch plans are aimed squarely at the most delusional pockets in their ginormous whale pod. It seems a dimwitted plan when Star Citizen and the PTU are set to languish for a year while its all-hands-on-deck for Squadron 42. The growing discontent of former complacent whales are likely to doom this tactic. Why am I going to want a $200 leather bomber jacket with stupid patches on it when the ships I've spent a fortune on are unflyable or having features whittled away for expedience's sake?

7) Pop-Up parties at Gamescon! A huge booth sponsored by Intel! Sounds like their pinching pennies for a change. What might that mean?

Honestly there's more to chew over and I'm sure AP, Neurotic Jew or others probably see stuff I'm missing but those are my quick takeaways on a content light, drama light, dysfunction light appearance. The best thing that might be said about it is that backers not paying attention might find little to worry about or question, save for the fact that she's been saying the same basic things for years.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Ag Bengip posted:

I'm looking at the comments on the Jeffrey McArthur video and I must say that while calling out the Shitizens for their horrendous comments is a thoroughly correct thing to do, bringing even more drama to his comments section is pretty lovely. I honestly don't believe this guy wants people cursing each other out, calling each other names and telling each other to kill themselves on his channel. Stop being terrible.
I agree. A few of the anti-SC replies are terrible and just defeat the purpose of showing the guy the proper respect.

If enough of us visit that video and use the "Abuse/Spam" reporting tool on the worst replies, I believe they are removed. I'm going through and doing that and hope others will join the effort so that we remove the toxicity and leave the exhortations and compliments.

It's a great thing that he's picked up a lot of subs, upvotes, and views. Would be better still if it didn't come with vitriolic garbage hurled around.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

So i_still_trust_cig is finally permanently banned from chat- though he was pro-CIG, anti-troll, anti-goon all the way.

This is proof positive that not only does CIG LA read these comments, they read them very carefully- trying to ferret out not only dissenting voices, but affirming ones from specific SA authors.

Ben, Sandi, Lando- you hurt my feelings. But thank you for confirming that you really are paying such close attention to our actions. That is useful to know. You must really care.

BTW- Thomas Hennessy BUILDS HIS OWN FURNITURE for the sets. GIVE THAT GUY A PROMOTION.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

More jokes about their overspending on trailers and motion graphics at the end. Still needling the critics with false dichotomy sarcasm. I wasn't able to watch all of it but what little I did catch just makes me like Thomas Hennessy all the more.

The "we went to home depot to get the wood to build our own sets" moment is exactly what CIG needs a lot more of.

Thrift-- thrift! It's a virtue, particularly when your money comes from hundreds of thousands of other people. Actions like that show good faith stewardship, a sense of personal integrity-- and what a radical difference it would make if the whole company demonstrated it.

Then again, 'the backers won't know', right?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Liu posted:

its about time you used an actual good song in one of your videos, apart from china in your hand of course
"Just a Man" rocked in an earlier and it's pistols at dawn if you say otherwise.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ZenMaster posted:

:siren: Effort post

G0rf analyze this tia

:words:
I think that whole exchange speaks for itself!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 2, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Did anyone on RtV address the McCarthy debacle?
Not a word was said on the topic-- which doesn't really surprise me since they've nothing to gain and much to lose by talking about it.

I was kind of hoping there would be a general call for improved civility since Ben made that panic post about that recently. But no joy...

---

G0RF fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 2, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Ash1138 posted:

What the gently caress. You hire a temp or an intern for this crap.
They did. He's Director of Spaceships.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

Looks like their little "trade in your jpeg for an even shittier jpeg, $5 off!" caused the rotting cat corpse to bounce

I'm sure anytime we have sustained days of less than 40k they'll pull out some last minute sale to boost the numbers
And even with it, it's a crap day for them.

Ben said the next big ship sale was late March? They may need to change up that plan unless they don't mind burning some decent bucks. Although maybe they're planning to reduce the burn further?

On that note... Anybody wonder if the reason they've been plugging David Ladyman and Ryan Archer's Kickstarter repeatedly on RtV is because they're cutting Austin down more and they're trying to help out some of the old guard on the way out? I'm not trying to start a rumor and I hope that's not the case because they both seem like nice guys. I'm just speculating. It was strange though when Batgirl mentioned Ladyman fondly in the last episode and Sandi seemed to skirt him.

It seems like the Austin team is the most vulnerable-- and artists and writers the most vulnerable of jobs there. They have plenty in LA now.

Just a theory-- admittedly grim.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Klyith posted:

Or they're plugging it because it will be finished long before SC and their backers will have something else to distract them?

Or they're doing it to get their backers used to disappointment? :sun:
Totally possible.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

zcrow posted:

I wish I had time to do this better, but effort

That one is bound for the hall of fame!

You should post it in a few image host sites (giphy, imgur, etc.) with tags #starcitizen #scam and let Google do the rest.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

quote:

"Truthfully there are like...6 goons actively stirring poo poo about Star Citizen and then a few others join in when they are bored. SA is full of horrid neckbeards but most don't give two shits about this game or project. These days SA seems to be full of extremist SJW's/fake SJW's, its hard to find a good 'goon' cause most of the actually clever/funny ones bailed years ago.

Main issue is those 6 goons + Derek are loud and extremely persistent and won't take a hint."
Seven loud people are creating the dissent seen everywhere. Just ignore it, it has no basis in reality...

I did find the neckbeards comment out of line, simply because:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Oh, I'm sure college and university courses will be talking about Star Citizen for many decades to come... just not in the way the poster imagines.

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

"Anaylizing and Managing Deviant Organizational Leaders"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Mirificus posted:

Looks interesting. I'll read it when I get a chance.
Frankly there are better ones -- CIG LA seems a textbook example of Organizational Deviance run amok.

A lot of the research focuses on employer / employee relations-- but with CIG it obviously extends far outside the organization proper to encompass and govern the customer / organization relationship.

I've joked about this as Beanie Babies for Grown Men but the parallels are deeper than that. Ty Warner was notorious for his micromanagement of beanie production ("No no no- that seam is the wrong pattern, STOP we're changing it!" / "This monkey isn't smaragdine, it's just greenish blue-- halt the job and fix this dye, NOW!"

Of course, this produced constant "valuable" rarities which commanded high prices, which was a 'happy accident' that wasn't. We see soft parallels with CIG's former artificial scarcity tactics and Roberts micromanagement of trivial design details...

A bit of a tangent there but my main point is that while Organizational Deviance isn't so rare, acute, systemic deviance (radiating from the top) is rather unusual. Rarer still is a company that manages to subsume even part of its customer base into that madness. So CIG is very worth study and will surely be the subject of more than a few doctoral theses one day...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Toops posted:

Whelp, here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pXBpXBm0kk

if someone wants to texture this honka burnin sperg, let me know. UV mapping makes me hate life.

I hope you have a gofundme for this, Toops, to help us compensate for this valiant effort. (Totally serious!)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Did you guys discuss this voicework, supposedly from Squadron 42's character creation sequence yet?

I can't listen to it at the moment but the Reddit reception is rapturous so I'm guessing we're talking epic suckiness.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

So looking at stuff like this:

Is this all just bullshit? How and where is stuff like this supposed to be in the game?
They will be available as DLC Hangar Flair- $5 each.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

"THE STORY MUST BE TOLD, BUT THE STORY CAN'T BE TOLD"

A mind-numbingly long examination of why the Gaming Press ignores one of the biggest stories in gaming history.

D1E posted:

Serious question: have you thought about writing up a massive expose based on known facts or things which can be conclusively researched and submitting it to a news organization for review and publication?
The truth is, D1E, some of the big players in Gaming Media know enough of what we do to run hard-hitting exposes already. So rather than us serving up something for them to promptly ignore, let's consideration explanations for why they would ignore it.

Admittedly, they may not know about eyeball rolls in video streams from fed-up female employees... about upcoming weekly shows will be dedicated to Space Plants due to the boss' recent fixation with farm simulators... about "the games aren't separate, they're a-la-carte!" sound bites.. fallout from an email exchange between the VP of Marketing and a former backer turned heretic... or have a ledger keeping track of all the high dollar furniture purchases for CIG LA...

But they know Star Citizen, the biggest crowdfunding success in history, is a project in trouble.

Some even have heard stories we haven't, submitted by employees and ex-employees of CIG. Kotaku said as much themselves when clutching their pearls and crying foul about The Escapist's story. Apparently silence about it was the moral high ground. Kotaku surely isn't alone in sitting on actionable info. Nor are they deluded about the current state of the game. It's just easier for them and their ilk to keep giving CIG the benefit of the doubt in spite of what they know.

When it comes to drawing blood, they're as timid as manatees. Yet if there's blood in the water, they frenzy like sharks. The exceptions tend to be when they've a recurring axe to grind (social justice issues, objectification of women in games, etc.) That they'd didn't frenzy over the The Escapist story was because the story was too drat toxic, their poisoned blade tainted the meat. It was a truly shocking read, compiled of allegations as furious as they were anonymous.

So-- how do you get them to write an expose when the following things are known to or suspected by many of the big players already?

-- Repeated Delays and Missed Deadlines...
-- Absolutely No Oversight...
-- Fractional Progress Against the Promised Deliverable...
-- The Troubled Freelancer Saga...
-- Clear Signs of Financial Waste...
-- Fraudulent Marketing Practices...
-- Stonewall Policies Enacted on Refunds...
-- Perpetually Buggy Updates of the Most Alarming Kind...
-- Nepotistic Leadership...
-- Alleged Workplace Toxicity....

These aren't secret, arcane truths known only to the enlightened goons of an ancient humor site for alpha dorks... The Gaming Press knows it because it's obvious to anybody paying attention by now, especially those paid to pay attention.

They probably gab about it in the break room, joke about it in story sessions. Snarky asides might get tossed into an unrelated article. But mostly, the big guys will sit on it, content to crank out five new stories an hour on fluff about Fallout dlc, a secret drivable couch in Hardline, and when they want to strike a blow for justice, they'll excoriated the restoration of a sexualized female animation in Street Fighter V. It's pain-free, brain-free eyeball fodder.

---

The Story Must Be Told-- yet paradoxically, The Story Can't Be Told.

This strange Nether period -- where it must be told but can't be told -- happens more often than we realize.

Here are some of the reasons:

1) Fears of being too early, losing subscribers, finding out later they were wrong about something-- bind their hands.

2) Personal loyalties to or affections for at risk parties can be a factor. We're sympathetic to that ourselves, right? Could Imperium employs a lot of seemingly decent, talented and hardworking people, all of whom might be collateral damage if funding implodes due to a total loss of confidence in the project by funders. Why should everyone at CIG have to suffer that, when most of the misdeeds and missteps have only a handful of authors at the very top? I know I wasn't the only CIG cynic here who felt a real pang when Sean Tracy earnestly thanked the viewers on Meet the Devs for providing him the means to support his family. What rings hollow off Sandi's, Ben's, and Chris's lips rings true from one of the many little people tasked with Mission Impossible-- and there's 200+ people there who could say it without sounding robotic, patronizing or entitled.

3) Fears of lost access or advertising -- fears of lawsuits, all these factors and more turn watchdogs to lap dogs. Rewarded as they are for lazy, low effort clickbait, why choose anything riskier?

4) Beyond that, there's the uncomfortable fact that the infamous Derek Smart! Derek Smart! DEREK SMART!, one of gaming history's greatest mustache-twirling comic villains, beat them all to the punch. He game them a roadmap. Told them where the bodies were buried. Demanded they start digging. The map checked out. The prospects looked intriguing. And editors throughout the industry promptly declared moratorium's on any follow-up pieces because "like hell are we giving that troll Derek Smart the satisfaction of following his marching orders!"

I think all of the above help explain why we've had this long period of relative calm after the Escapist Story. It's why we so rarely get "What the hell is up with this game?!" type articles from major players, and there are precedents for this all over.

---

The Past as Prologue at Ion Storm

This same weird Nether period occurred during Ion Storm's hype-fueled ascent, as some here remember.

While the national Gaming Media was hyping 'game changing title from a boy genius behind Doom and Quake!' to hell and back, and that narrative was echoed in punch-drunk biz rags, a quietly fomenting counter narrative of wasteful extravagance, troubling nepotism, defections / intrigues, and outlandish behavior was served up weekly by self-appointed gawkdogs like us-- in Quake chat rooms and message boards-- devoted to tracking Romero and whatever they could glean about the company and its mysterious new game. Battle lines were sometimes drawn there too, with pro-Romero vs. pro-Carmack camps engaged in endless wars of words about game development. Today feels eerily similar to 1998.

Romero made it all easy-- he too engaged in rockstar posturing non-stop for the sake of boosting the hype for his game, garnering free publicity and stoking the confidence of investors. Today, Roberts plays the Boy Wonder with appealing humility; Romero preferred playing the Gaming God.

His girlfriend Killcreek was an object of fascination, admiration, contempt and a lot of skeevy talk, too. That Romero made her an employee was much derided-- yet Stevie Case at least had serious gamer cred for her Quake skillz. (One presumes Sandi's 5 day a week, 10 hour a day Doom sessions were already in her rearview mirror by then.)

At the time, I wasn't that interested in Daikatana. I loved Doom and Quake (who didn't, right?) but considered Carmack the playmaker at iD and preferred his low-key, human computer demeanor. (Their split was described back then by Romero as his "vision of gaming perfection" vs. Carmack's "vision of coding perfection", and I'd be lying if I didn't admit seeing echoes of that in Roberts vs. Braben today...) Truth be told, though, by November of 1998, Romero and Carmack both seemed like yesterday's legends-- Half-Life was out.

Still, the stories from guys monitoring the ongoing Ion Storm scuttlebutt made for riveting reading (and members of the Gaming Media surely read it, too.) It came in smaller, less frequent parcels than CIG's does (unsurprisingly)-- but the stream was steady. Some of it was too outlandish to believe, though at the time, we believed it all anyway. It was only after it all fell apart that reflective sorts could go back and run evaporation techniques to boil off the bullcrap and salvage the facts. (Old Man River aside: Chris Roberts cocaine tales -- often repeated here with few corroborations beyond an angry ex-employee's Facebook comment -- remind me of that. Barring further evidence, I feel the same about the worst claims about Sandi. I'm no fan of her, and she no fan of us, but the burden of proof is high when incendiary claims are made with anonymous rumors by angry ex-subordinates. Fair play and all that.)

---

The Indeterminable Waiting Period Between Can't and Must

Then as now, there was this indeterminable wait, a surreal Nether period. It lasted most of 1998 as I remember.

You'd read things on some Quake underground gossip swap, or occasionally hear them from your hardcore gamer friend over rotgut shots-- then you'd read the exact opposite in the gaming press. The press accounts were lazy and glib, lean on hard facts and replete with PR soundbites and hype!, hype!, hype! just inflating the expectations bubble all the more. Yet the chinwag from the gawkdog grapevine was dismal, specific, and very sharp.

You knew, you just knew the latter would pop the former any day now. That the bubble that inflated for years would deflate in a flash, with only the dismal truth remaining before the game even got close to release.

But that's not really the way it played out, was it?

Sure, a few big ominous prophecies of doom made it to print or online before launch. The company took a hit mid-98 for the overhyped, over budget "Dominion: Storm Over Gift 3 (it sucked). The big developer walkout was high-drama that broke out on places like blues news, then IGN, and eventually even got some mainstream attention.

Ironically though, the biggest pre-launch expose on Ion Storm didn't come from the Gaming Media. It came from the alt paper down in Dallas, in the form of an especially colorful local dumpster fire story in early 99. Their "Stormy Weather" article surely got more traffic than anything they wrote that year-- gamers all over the world, particularly skeptics, were electrified. These days, a Star Citizen backer would call it 'click bait', but it was honest to God shoe leather reporting and remains, 17 years after the fact, a great early prophecy of the eventual outcome. Ion Storm was blindsided by the blow. (In researching this effort post, I learned they even went on mole hunts and targeted the reporter.)

After it broke, PC Mag and Gaming Media outlets dutifully got react quotes from Romero-- none apparently embarrassed that they'd been scooped by guys who, like alt rags in conservative cities all over the world, mostly covered right-wing foibles at the municipal level and the like. (I suspect that gaming mag editors throughout the industry, even those who didn't spill ink in coverage, realized the time for breathlessly hyping Daikatana was over. But no real frenzy followed, and I believe that was largely due to the fact that they still thought more about circulation than clicks. Nowadays, they'd have no choice...)

The center held.

Beyond that, though, the full on Gaming Media hellstorm we all kept assuming was right around the corner because "OMG I can't believe this crazy crap is happening guys it's gonna 'splode any minute!!!" did not precede the release of the game. There was still some cautious optimism from the Big Guys for far longer than informed skeptics could believe.

The Ion Storm skeptics saw their "it's all gonna burn!" narrative boosted with the early release of the Daikatana demo. 'Lowtax' took a shot at it a small eternity ago, and was but of many... But the big guys stayed polite, and in the months prior to commercial release, started reframing their stories in accommodating "Can our hero save the day for his troubled game?"

I couldn't find the full scans of the magazine, but did find the text of Next Generation magazine's May 1999 story, printed only weeks before release.

Next Generation, May 1999 posted:

Dogged by software delays, and scarred by staff losses and accusations of mismanagement, highflying developer Ion Storm has come down to earth with a bump. Is the company that spends millions when thousands will suffice all flash and no dash? Can "John Romero's Daikatana" save the day? In Dallas, it's make or break time...
A sidebar in the story notes those gleeful doomsayers, yesteryear's version of us...

Next Generation, May 1999 posted:

Recent troubles have had Ion Storm's most cynical detractors rubbernecking with the kind of glee usually reserved for the owner of a broken-down Ferrari stranded at the side of the road..."
The alt rag story apparently at least made it safe for the gaming press to talk about the possibility of abject failure. How strange that seems, even still. But it remained no forgone conclusion. Romero got a pass right up until the official release, and then, at belated last, the feeding frenzy truly began. The merciless, gleeful scorn. Mockery, savagery, damnation. Articles about Carmack as the genius, Romero the pretender. "Feet of clay", "suck what down, Romero?", "Can ya believe it? Who saw THIS coming?", blah blah blah...

And Slashdot- remember them? In researching this story, a found a choice gem that simply had to be included here. In their metacritic-like rundown of excoriating reviews, "Daikatana Sucks: It's Official", even the supervillian of gaming himself, our beloved OP, got a shoutout:

Jonathan (5011) posted:

"I know what John Romero can do next... (Score: 3)

Start a company with Derek Smart of "Battlecruiser 3000" fame!"
At long last that which couldn't be told for over a year finally had to be told. A deluge of merciless reviews from the mostly incurious, toothless gaming press. The Gaming Press After-Action reports about the waste, dysfunction, nepotism, insanity quickly followed and were all now safely codified for posterity by the very parties who feared giving voice to it when it might've actually helped change things for the better.

---

Back in the Nether Zone

So-- here we are again, waiting in the Nether Zone. CIG's narrative is triumphalist, our narrative apocalyptic, and the gaming media narrative conspicuously deferential with occasional gentle sniping. At least two of those narratives are wrong-- and at some point in the future, one will emerge and become settled history. For my part, I don't expect THESIS and ANTITHESIS to beget SYNTHESIS.

It certainly didn't happen in Ion Storm's case. In the end, ANTITHESIS prevailed, and ex-employees negotiated for gentler epitaphs for Ion Storm for posterity's sake. Defenders of Romero / Daikatana could still be found, but they were given no quarter by yesterday's equivalent of triumphant goons.

Andy posted:

"A sad story? Are you insane? They caused all the crap they went through! That feature just made me want to strangle him and his band of idiots even more. How could he live with himself, wasting tens of millions of dollars working in an office on the top floor of a Dallas skyscraper on a game without a plan. What little design they did have is like something out of the imagination of a ten year old. Even if Daikatana had been completed exactly as he envisioned, on schedule, it wouldn't have been a great game.

Did he think Eidos' money was a gift? A reward for his brilliant work on Doom? How could he have put so little effort into making a good game? He said he couldn't concentrate on level design because he had to manage a team, but he didn't want to manage a team. He/they did absolutely everything wrong. It's incredible. But they get to learn from their mistakes, and LGS is out of business because of their stupidity (yes, indirectly, but $10 million is $10 million)."
Sound familiar?

"Nedan' posted:

"First off, I like to see a show of hands right now... which one of you has experience in running a Game Development Company?!?! Well... anybody?!?! Just like I thought . Alot of you guys are sure ones to talk & dis a company when you know jack about running one yourselves.

You can read all the friggin' info you want on running a company. But when it comes to actually doing it... it's a whole different friggin' story entirely.

Yes... John Romero made some mistakes. Why? He was new to running a business. He never ran one himself before. He also didn't like the idea of stealing talent. He tried his best not to steal talent. So he had problem of finding new talent instead... which is not easy to begin with.

His only mistake wasn't being an egomaniac, it wasn't over spending & it certainly wasn't advertising the game too early. It was just inexperience. He had none when it came to running a company. I can certainly have sympathy & show forgiveness for that."
Behold, the last holdout of the chump who believed too long in a Dream!. Their final intellectual sanctuary is the same as it ever was: "At Least They Tried."

---

In Closing

I honestly think if a hard-hitting, narrative smashing expose comes, it will probably come from outside the gaming press.

In the short term, though smaller sites will write blistering pieces, the big guys will continue to opt for safe ways to nibble at this without tearing it wide open. We've seen a bit of that already.

Examples have oblique titles like:

-- "Ranking The Space Sims You Can Play Right Now"
-- "Is 'Mass Effect: Andromeda' a threat to Squadron 42?"
-- "No Man's Sky: A VR-friendly Star Citizen You Can Play Today"

Articles like the above will dribble out constantly. The comments sections will exploded with Believers vs. Skeptics each calling each other idiots and worse, "It's Pre-Alpha!" and "You know nothing about game development" will be repeated millions of times. The Status Quo will be maintained and the untenable center will somehow hold because the story must be told, but it can't be told for longer than you'd think.

(drat this is a long post. I apologize if it bored anybody. The question of 'when will the story break open?' comes up a lot and I figured it was worth examining in detail. I had to do a good amount of research on the Ion Storm stuff and learned a lot that I'd not seen the first time around because I wasn't paying THAT close attention. I hope others learned some things they didn't know, too...)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 1, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Wise Learned Man posted:

It is a good post, but I still think that Star Citizen's implosion is gonna be an even bigger story because of the sheer amount of money involved, the fact that the money is from a lot of individuals instead of a few faceless investors, and because of its implications for the crowdfunding model in general.
Of course it will be a bigger story when it finally breaks. That's why it deserves an effort post.

As I said it the open, it's one of the biggest stories in gaming history, and as I noted in an older post, when it does break, Romero will get some overdue relief, too. Finally, a story that makes Ion Storm's look like a model of restraint.

It's not just big, it's the biggest. We are talking about the 4th biggest gaming budget in history-- and the biggest indie game budget that may ever be. It's the biggest crowdfunding success in history. For these reasons, it's likely that the best reporting we one day see won't come from the gaming press at all-- it'll come from some hungry reporter at one of the top dogs. Maybe a guy at the New York Times business desk or. (His editor might dangle a shot at inclusion in their weekly mag.) Or maybe it'll come from the FT, or the rapier sharp wordsmiths at The Economist (I'm chortling picturing that read.)

I'm effort posted out or I'd go into greater detail about all this-- lucky you!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Wise Learned Man posted:

Once some real news outlet finally goes for it, it should snowball. Maybe.
I agree. I think you're missing my point.

The story should've broken last year. Exploded, snowballed, whatever you want to call it. That it hasnt yet -- in spite of all that is known, obvious, whispered about -- is the mystery that merits exploration.

In case it's not clear, I expect it this year. CIG doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for another year. They're on borrowed time now. 2016 is not 1999-- there is enormous potential energy in this story that could yield all the best online rewards for the outlet that gets the story right. For the exhaustive, under the hood examination that's been thusfar avoided. It's a tragicomedy with no precedent and a story that will prompt as much laughter as horror and simple outright shock at the insanity that has quietly brewed over the last few years.

So-- though you don't seem to realize it-- we agree. We are examining why that didn't happen in the summer. Or after the Escapist story. Or after the parparrafic year end livestream...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Maldoror posted:

This thread gets ~1000 replies a day.

Most of the replies seem to be screen shots of various forum and reddit posts?

Are the posts really that interesting? :\
Mirificus and Co. are helping us earn our Completionist's Badges. I, for one, appreciate it. But, in the words of a sperg to a kindly old gamer named McArthur, "this game isn't for casuals..."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

No, but they're that funny.
Tippis-- I didn't say so earlier because I was still toiling over my post, but I appreciated your earlier post about energy weapons. That this thread has so many great authors and the game gets lensed through a hundred POVs from diverse areas of special knowledge makes it not only a constant source of entertainment but education.

I don't recall any single topic discussion area -- in web or Usenet history -- that has proven as compelling a daily read.

My thanks to all of you for continuing to make it so. (And, while I'm posting, thanks to anybody who appreciated the effort post.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

https://gfycat.com/GrayWideeyedGalapagosalbatross

Looks like Chris' long-promised gradual acceleration from walk to jog to sprint has finally been added. Yet another commitment to "immersion" that renders the prospects of VR immersion unlikely...

Oculus Best Practices posted:

"For VR content, the visual perception of acceleration is a primary culprit for discomfort. This is because the human vestibular system responds to acceleration but not constant velocity. Perceiving acceleration visually without actually applying acceleration to your head or body can lead to discomfort. (See our section on simulator sickness for a more detailed discussion.)

Instantaneous accelerations are more comfortable than gradual accelerations. Because any period of acceleration constitutes a period of conflict between the senses, discomfort will increase as a function of the frequency, size, and duration of acceleration. We generally recommend you minimize the duration and frequency of accelerations as much as possible."
Oops.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

g0rf your effortposts make the thread livable
This thread is great with or without my effort posts. It was gold when I just lurked. So much brilliance, hilarity, arcana, and actionable intel all in one endless unspooling tapestry of space game madness.

Internet Kraken posted:

What the hell even happens in this thread that you guys are still talking about this train wreck
History, man.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 1, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Ravane posted:

Lol, this is running created by a man who has only dreamed about running.
:lol:

quote:

Jesus christ roberts, why did you try to reinvent running?
Ask him to design a mousetrap and he'd give you this...

(A video of it I mean...)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Nebiros posted:

That was a game that not only existed, but was semi-reliably capable of working despite being built by a literal 6 year old. They have nothing in common.
I'm not likening the games. I'm pointing towards a Rube Goldberg solution to a mechanism which reasonable designers would create with 5 parts. Chris' pornographied view of overcomplication-as-design-ideal touches every aspect of the game and its development, and like the mousetrap invoked above, only works under ideal conditions, and even then only sometimes.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Klyith posted:

To be fair, the Star Marine Indefinite Hiatus got reported pretty widely and with a lot of vague mentions of other signs of trouble at CIG. Which brings up a couple points I think you missed in your reasons for why the games press is ignoring the story:
Star Marine was a "road bump" story, a temporary setback tale. We do indeed get those stories often and I dare say we helped a few get written ourselves, given how the detailed timeline created here and hosted a justagamemode become easy cut and paste material for gaming blogs more recently.

When I'm talking about "The Story", I mean The Big One. The Tsar Bomba. .The one that covers most or all of that bullet list of BIG, SERIOUS warning signs ennumerated early in my post. The one that is the equivalent to "Stormy Weather"-- a story meant to raise alarm bells, deeply sourced and comprehensive. THAT story hasn't yet broken, not anywhere with serious clout.

I do like your two additional motivations. I sort of touched on the 'bad tidings' thing in talking about concerns for employee well-being as a restraining force but you're right, there are distinct motivations I missed. Lord knows guys like Gamespot trumpeted each new million dollar milestone with a lazy find-and-replace piece. So many outlets really are complicit in the bubble inflation and have reasons not to pop it I ignored.

Readers crying out "But you told me this game would change everything!!! Now you're calling it a trainwreck doomed to failure?! You bastards!!!" is a legitimate disincentive. I may revise the piece to include that when back at my desktop.

Danke for the feedback!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

D1E posted:

G0RF: that post was a thing of absolute beauty. drat son!

Please team up with Derek to write BEHIND SCAM CITIZEN: The Book. If Derek writes it himself it's just going to be links to all of his previous blog posts and repeated "this ^^^ all of this", "they started the war", and "my game has had this feature since 1996" comments.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 2, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I can sorta get why needling Derek might be amusing for a (new?) employee. Good way to earn some a few brownie points with the powers that be, too.

But that was just so grating to watch it defeated the whole purpose. He should've just plugged Desktop Commander or something.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

LuiCypher posted:

After reading Lowtax's review of Daikatana, I couldn't help but notice some analogues.

Strikeouts and italics are all me.
It's true. The "history rhymes" parallels are deeper than most people appreciate.

I actually had a lot more in while drafting it (it was twice as long) and the Roberts / Romero and Sandi / Killcreek examinations were pretty lengthy, but I realized I was too off track of my point, which was the cowardly, fawning media coverage of both, even as the warning signs were so plentiful. They got chopped.

Truth be told though, Ion Storm was mostly a comedy with some ego dramas in the middle. Romero's moral culpability for squandering a lot of institutional money was comparatively trivial (they had line of sight, they knew how it was being spent). He didn't presell $500 laser nunchucks and $1000 Chinese star shooting rail guns to a population of BetaChumps equivalent to the city of Liverpool.

History was so unkind to him for what seem, in hindsight, mostly misdemeanors of the heady 90s.

How much more harshly will it judge Chris and Sandi when the investors are everyday broken joes and the sums multiples larger? When they have no line of sight into the waste and excess? When the pretense of "open development" is in fact a license to propagandize and misdirect, to move goalposts and decry those crying foul? And much more and much worse?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Live on Twitch: Baron and Disco

Baron just got kicked out of server with a new patch. 24 players supposedly live!

Lando showing off trading cards that are not available for sale yet. These aren't for a card game, he explains, they're just collectibles "meant to sit in sleeves doing nothing."

Lando explains that they don't have time for card games because they're building the biggest game in human history.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 1, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

They're showing off the Million Mile High Club now, to get the whales salivating for that next level Star Citizen experience...

And then this happens...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EightAce posted:

I just hope you are all looking forward to a 15 hour long wing commander movie with vanduul instead of those cat men in it. Interspersed with a couple of escort missions and a swarm fight thrown in to break up the intense drama . ............. on the xbox one .........available in a buggy almost unplayable format q4 2017
Are we talking Q4 2017 for the Xbox One title, or the PC debut?

If the former, "hmm..." if the latter "wow!"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EightAce posted:

pc I was being facetious. There is no way in all that is holy that this pile of steaming excrement will get past MS qa. I am serious about the cutscene and missions though
I am excited about the cutscenes!

The longer the better. Particularly when the dialogue is wonk as it is dull and the talent delivering it with the least of emotional affect.

And if Q4 2017 really is the launch date for PC, then :drat: that's amazing.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lando just explained that many games explode because they blow up too fast, and try to do too much at once, and CIG isn't like that at all, therefore they are good stewards of backer money...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

ZenMaster posted:

Trying to eff(g0rf)t post, but... the mess is too far gone... I am trying conceptualize how turrets SHOULD work in the SC universe. As they are now, I can't even believe it was implemented. It's literally like having a calculator to solve a complex math problem in space or you die, and then eating it and pulling out a piece of paper and a pencil. Why? Star Citizen is set 900 years in the future and Chris created a world that is more like maybeee 100 years ahead with massive technological set backs (apparently) or just plain dumb decisions. Auto turrets must exist because they exist in 2016 (and have for sooo much longer). The reason they exist are many fold:

1) No risk of human causality.
2) Unparalleled speed and accuracy
3) No fatigue, panic, fear, just coldly directed death

The problem: If attacked, in SC, a player must run to a turret spot, hit USE and then wait for the player model to get into a seat, boot up, and then begin to manually track and shoot at a target. That is some astronomically nonsensical game play. Auto turrets could already be firing, mere mili-seconds after the hull is struck. Alternatively, a player can sit in a turret for hours doing nothing. Whee!

Computers in 900 years should be track targets with ease from 10,000 km out and beyond... with zero human interaction, a slow human analogue sitting in a chair trying to score hits seems like the dumbest of all solutions. No one would do this, ever. A pirate with one computer controlled turret would be far superior to a capitol ship with a dozen human controlled turrets. "Oh, do you have to guess how far to lead that Vanduul warship with your human brain?"

Once computers can fly planes and drive cars with 99.9% accuracy, no human will be allowed to do this anymore since the disadvantages are too great (lots of mistakes/death).

Solution:
:words:

I thought it was a good read, ZenMaster.

I think Chris Roberts distinctly Anachrofuturist™ vision of space ship design, combined with his coercive view of immersion and his complete obliviousness about WHAT MAKES GAMES FUN, will consign turret combat to the sad fate of so much of the gameplay. What could be a blast will be a chore for the sake of verisimilitude as defined by a person who actually thinks the more work you have to do to achieve even the most perfunctory of tasks while gaming, the more realistic your gameplay experience will be therefore SUCCESS.

I mean, 60 minutes ago, Lando said that obscuring the view of players (as in the Freelancer) with space-blinder cockpits was a big part of their game balancing philosophy. Surely that came right from Roberts himself. I get that merchant ships might have less visibility than a nimble little dogfighter but game balancing via space horse-blinders that block 70% of your view of space?

I know that's a tangent to your point but UGH, it all is just so idiotic it still sometimes amazes me. Sadly, I think there's a particularly futility in theory crafting improvements to gameplay mechanics, which I'm sure many of his talented developers have faced first-hand. It shouldn't be that way of course, because for a man in his right mind, the gameplay mechanics are the very heart of any game. That they seem such a tertiary concern for Roberts below "Immersion", and "Fidelity" speaks volumes.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

The Walrus posted:

it can't literally be 100% piss in the wind, can it?
It can, it is. They have stated as much. They had a big meeting of the minds earlier this year to plan out some kind of roadmap for PTU updates but my guess is that really meant lining up their planned ship sales for the rest of the year. They use the term 'incremental development' as shorthand for 'we're making it up as we go along', and as Scruffpuff noted in a post 100 pages ago, they've shown just how true that suspicion is with their PTU updates.

I am quoting it in full because it's the answer to your question in elaborately damning detail.

ScruffPuff posted:

"We've all read the stretch goals, and we all had ideas in our minds of what this project could have been back during the Kickstarter. Many here, including myself, backed it. Some were so taken in by the possibilities offered that they continued to back it even once the problems started to surface. Very few people wanted to consider that the game would outright fail; I assert that the latest PTU patch instead indicates the direction I personally feared the project would take: the path to mediocrity.

Players had dreams of being pirates, merchants, miners, mercenaries - anything they could dream up. Early iterations of CIG's promises, "10 For the Chairman" notwithstanding, reinforced these ideas. I think many people saw this game as an evolutionary step beyond a hybrid of Eve and Elite Dangerous - the freedom and depth of the former, with the polish and attention to detail of the latter, with the added bonus of full immersion by allowing the universe to be experienced from a seamless first-person perspective.

Over the years, the most common cited cause being gross mismanagement from Chris Roberts himself, the development took on a laser-like focus on the "seamless first-person perspective" aspect of the game. A poor engine choice, combined with the absolute refusal to compromise on that vision, began to cripple the entire project. Instead of how, or even if, such a scheme could be made to work on such a grand scale, instead faith was placed in the idea that with enough money, studios, and developer talent, it just had to be possible. It was simply a matter of assigning resources.

The result of that mindset became evident when the first iteration of the PTU was released. A horribly broken mess that barely qualifies as a tech demo, much less a game. As the money ran down, Chris turned 100% of his attention to SQ42 (the project he actually wanted to release, which he funded through the promises made for a project he does not care about, or know how to play), leaving the rest of his teams to keep backers happy with continued attempts to get the PTU in working order.

Whether or not those teams are able to technologically achieve that goal is not relevant. What is relevant is that with this latest patch, they have taken the first step on what will become an irreversible path: they are no longer creating the game they planned. Instead, they are designing the game in response to the behavior and experiences of the players currently in the Alpha. Ignoring the rhetoric of whether or not the PTU qualifies as a "true alpha", this is not how you design game systems. Player behavior in a game environment is completely irrelevant if no game systems are yet in place - player behavior is only valuable as a metric once you study that behavior within a completed set of interwoven gaming systems.

The result is as hilarious as it is disappointing. New rules that give players "criminal ranks" for ramming ships on the landing pads. "Time outs" in your room for being killed as a criminal. These are systems that took development time to design, code, implement, test, and release. You will not find these gaming systems in the original pitch, the expanded pitch, or even in the stretch goals. Yet it is here nonetheless - the first actual game elements are now in place - and they were instituted not as an action by CIG, but as a reaction.

Star Citizen, as a game, is finally beginning to take shape. It is not being shaped by the vision of Chris Roberts, nor by design documents. It is not being shaped by the hopes and dreams of backers, nor the promises in 10 For the Chairman. It is instead being shaped by the reactions to chaotic player behavior in a closed pre-alpha environment - systems in place to curb behavior seen as undesirable, yet in no way moving toward any of the promises of what this game could have been. We can expect more such systems to be introduced over the coming months, each one intended to either fix or balance the previous patch, or introduce a new system in order to address some new concern about player behavior.

So now we have an answer to What is Star Citizen? Star Citizen is a game where every action you take is going to be limited by artificial constraints; all put in place to restrict player behavior to what people imagine that behavior should be. The "game" will be to learn the systems, and the constraints, and either work within them, or find a way around them. In other words, Star Citizen is the ultimate metagame. And that's the opposite of immersion."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

:five:

How great that you can just reliably pop in and the game serves up hilarity non-stop.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Samizdata posted:

One of these days, I really need to watch an episode of 10 For The Charlatan. (Which is what my mind read when I saw 10 For The Chairman.)
The first one of this year is decent-- a small victory for us as he expressed annoyance with a new Star Marine grassfire.

But you might want to start with an early one after. Its then you realize it's always the same episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

He could be ex-cig staff, it's not like the Escapist had trouble finding sources, the recent stuff could be gossip from friends still there. I hope he is throwing in disinformation as well as that should be very effective as a cover.

I do want to hear the "ranch" story though.
A closer reading of what he's stated allows for multiple scenarios besides current CIG employee. Frankly I prefer the ambiguity.

• Locked thread