Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

RIP in peace cobblers. Now that you're banned you might as well say hello :)

also how did I miss this gem: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/316666/farming-why-you-shouldn-t-be-worried

Hello, best thread on the internet.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

is that rule #47 violation?I mean, no one likes it, but ffs getting banned for it?

It wasn't just the one thread, to be fair and I actually only got probated for 48 hours for the necro'ing.

I'm not sure what the ban was for, I got that without any warning, shortly after the mods had finished the cleanup. Might've had something to do with the general birdposting, or perhaps because I set my org's rollover text to read "PARP" and someone banned me thinking I was a suppressive personality like your good selves. Anyway, I'm now here - Lowtax was as good as his word, although I sprung for this account anyway as I prefer this username and owe you all/Derek for the refund help/gifs/recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Daztek posted:

Hello friend, do you own any cats

Not since the storm.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

welcome cobblers, nice run you had there

Thanks, I realised it was time to go when some of the promised features I thought I'd made up turned out to be true. Necro'ing every bird/animal/mount thread I could find with CIG's (true to form) utterly broken search function in order to inform the OPs that their wishes had been granted as crobbits had promised birds was the only sane reaction.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Welcome commando o9

Which username would you have had, if lowtax had his way?

Also please share your Citizen story, we are all brothers in this great endeavor

It would've been Christo_Roberto, a passable name which i picked as my "handle" in the brown sea, but I felt I should cough up the $10 anyway given how long I've been reading this thing. It was here that I first heard about Bird Citizen.

Also, Ben looks genuinely seriously ill, like 50% chance of making it to the end of the stream ill.

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 5, 2016

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Cobblers, your Star Citizen Org being a religious, hardcore, roleplaying, Welsh-speaking group of Birdwatchers genuinely made me lol when I read it

Thanks, I enjoyed your posts in that weird SUN star citizen org training stream.

Berious posted:

Massive fan of your work Cobblers. But I fear for the future of procedurally generated bird in the verse without such an outspoken champion

The birds of the 'universe still have an able defender in Germanski. No idea who he is, but his lengthy posts on the need for Chris to make good on his promise of a fully procedurally generated ecosystem are compelling.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Phi230 posted:

Ok, is it just me or doe Hibernation Mode sound like a standard feature any open world video game should have?

The technology required to get a game to actually remember where you were when you saved costs $14,000,000.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Mr Fronts posted:

Germanski, noooooooooo.....

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/123617/Germanski

On probation for the whole weekend. Is Cobblers available again to speak for our fine feathered friends?

I'm not sure. I was banned and probated at the same time, but my av is now just greyed out rather than removed entirely. Says a lot about RSI moderation that you often don't know whether you're banned or not.

EightAce posted:

Well I'm not an internet warlord Also Derek has very specifically stated he isn't doing this for shits and giggles..... I am.
I have a unique perspective and can't say more than that.

And yes, stay safe EightAce o9

EDIT: Whoever purchased the av/composed the poem, well done and thank you.

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 6, 2016

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

AP posted:

Is playing really the right word? You wake up, wait for animation to finish, leave room, walk down a corridor and some stairs, walk into a larger room. Use a terminal to spawn a ship, endure two airlock animations, walk to the ship, get in after the animations finish and hopefully take off (assuming you don't get a bug and clip through something).

Then you can do one of three missions that take maybe 30 minutes each at most. Then you can maybe shoot a few things or repair your ship or go and find a rifle and have a terrible fps experience if you're lucky enough to find someone to shoot in your max 16 player 'verse.

I've never been able to get that far, to be honest I think you're giving them too much credit. My ship seems to have a 50% chance of exploding whenever I try to totally-not-frameshift-drive/quantum travel, so I've never even come close to finishing a mission.

MeLKoR posted:

You should send them a mail asking exactly why you were banned and if it followed their warnings>probations>bans stated policy. The terrible moderation is why the community is the pile of poo poo it is and they should be called out on it at every opportunity.

This is a good idea.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

A masterpiece

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Hey cobblers I think they unbanned you, how 'bout you give him our love

e: also quoting nested quotes is broken lowtax plz fix

Done. I always thought he posted here already, his posts don't bear the hallmarks of a shitizen in that you can read them without cringing.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Daztek posted:

I am a jack of all trades, master of none :shobon:

Also, I am sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9elfrrF4M

MP3: http://we.tl/9xKTV0l5Ew

This is a thing of beauty.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

They might still take you back if you apologize Cobblers, they love prodigal sons. We might still turn on you and then where will you be? Mocked on SA, a pariah in SC... :smith:

No, there can be no forgiveness for Leavers.

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'm pretty sure that lovely MadCatz joystick was a thing they'd designed already, it's just some model of theirs with some special colored plastic and a badly applied Star Citizen decal.

fake edit: Yeah I'm right, the keyboard is a Mad Catz S.T.R.I.K.E. 5, and the joystick and throttle are a badly reused X52.

Really the only new thing here are the bases for the stick and throttle, everything else can be bought now at a whale friendly cost of ~350 USD.

I still don't understand how a worse-looking version of those two things welded together in the least appealing manner possible somehow costs more than both objects separately.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

The French Army! posted:

Fill me in on this...stimpire. I can't read 500 pages of whatever it is this thread has become.

Fanfic from the RSI forums. Truly the most compelling prose to drip from the pen of a shitizen:

quote:

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

The Stimperor protects.

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 13, 2016

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

does anyone have a link to the original stimthread? The replies to it are pretty telling too

That thread seems to have been deleted. I suspect Roberts poached it for the squadron 42 script and had the original scrubbed lest his theft was detected.

This thread is the last which remains which tells of the Stimpire. I've invited the Stimperor himself to join my org on the RSI forums as i could use his input in writing the background lore.

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 13, 2016

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Mirificus posted:

Have you heard back from TommyNoble or Zealot, and if so, what did they say?

TommyNoble posts here already, I will leave him to reveal himself. Zealot has declined my org invitation and not replied to my PMs despite my gushing praise of his literary talent and requests for sequels in the Stimpire saga.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...-to-be-expected

Can someone PM this guy and tell him to get a refund now, while he can?

Done.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Mirificus posted:

You're so helpful Cobblers :). What happened to your RSI forum ban anyways? It looked like you were both banned and probated at one point.

I don't know. According to Jared I was probated for 48hrs then banned for 48hrs at the discretion of the staff then unbanned at the precise time my probation ran out.

I was a bit confused by the exchange.

MeLKoR posted:

You are aware that they read this thread and Beer was permabanned for far less than this, right?

Yeah, im sure they read it constantly. They also read the PMs on the forums, though, so mentioning it here won't do any more harm.

Edit: nvm probated again anyway.

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 13, 2016

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Congratulations commando o9.
What was that for?

Mirificus posted:

That does sound confusing.

Yeah, it also doesn't quite gel with what I saw - I think I was unbanned before my probation ran out as my avatar changed from banned back to probated. I think someone just jumped the gun and then undid it shortly after.

Mirificus posted:

New probation?

Yup, jared probated me for necro'ing bird related threads again.

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 13, 2016

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

xanif posted:

Will the birds have turrets?

The answer is always yes.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Stupid video incoming. I lost track of getting on the player bases nerves a bit what with all the bugs and funny glitches, so I am getting back to plan A for a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmifDhOphFM

Yeah, this was great. Might be your best yet, the de-activate shields tip will prove vital in the 'universe.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Toops posted:

Feedback pls. I'm just a programmer, UI design is not in my wheelhouse.

This is excellent.

Daztek posted:

Also not sure why you would ever want to quit

Could always swap "quit" for "refund".

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Truly the most open of all development.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Is this a result of their supposedly realistic limb damage thing loving up, or is this just a symptom of their general baffling lack of competence?

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What's the plan for losing spaceships? If I buy an expensive spaceship and the game theoretically comes out, and then it gets stolen or destroyed, am I just out ~$1000 bucks?

No-one knows. Ships are insured, except when they aren't (no-one knows when/where/to what degree) and get replaced (except when they can't be, again no-one knows) and you have to wait an immersive and realistic amount of time before your ship can be replaced (no-one knows about how long this takes either).

It's all very immersive, you see.

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 21, 2016

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Toops posted:

This will be Solar Plebeian's AtV

Also reposting this to make sure Cobblers sees it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcDagB0rVvQ

Holy gently caress, this is the best thing. Thank you for taking the time to realise a feature that CIG so carelessly abandoned. Also, I like how the joke ship UI is still genuinely better than the unusable garbage croberts insists on clogging your screen with.

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 22, 2016

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFkTG9YungQ

02:26 - Very basic multiplayer support details (pt. I)
05:03 - Supporting very basic configurations
08:31 - DIscussion of one existent and one non-existent module
10:51 - E-peen support
11:23 - Non-existent ships
13:06 - Non-existent technology
17:47 - Very basic multiplayer support details (pt. II)
24:46 - Recently-added metagame specifics
27:25 - Improvements to non-existent ships
29:03 - Absolutely, unquestionably non-existent technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFkTG9YungQ&t=843s

Wait, procedurally generated birds is actually a thing? I genuinely thought I'd made that up.

gently caress everything about this.
EDIT: I like that the gameplay will be emergent though, that's a plus.

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 1, 2016

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

So many dismissive and passive words. Kinda. Sorta. You know. Uhhh.

"It's kinda sorta on our roadmap"

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

redwalrus posted:

lol its real, someone submitted a question asking if the game would have birds, and he did that whole look where hes thinking about it for a second before stating that yes, yes the game now has birds :lol:

I'd heard he'd promised birds (because of course he did), but actually procedurally generated ones? This smacks of levels of fidelity hitherto undreamed of and I shall be buying back in with a completionist pack.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

maybe I'm being dumb but why are all the animations so important for an FPS? Unless he means you get to watch other people being Mark Hamill as they duck into cover?

I think the animations are for the 10 hours of unskippable cutscenes absolutely nobody wants, with the possible exception of Captain B'tak as the cutscenes will provide a welcome respite from the many sources of grief in the 'verse, both real and imagined.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

is the bird in your av procedural? it's pretty fidelitous

Yes, procedurally generated avs promote emergent high fidelity browsing and are a must imo.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Toops posted:

Hey plebes, weekly dev update is up. Huge thanks to Jst0rm for the amazing sound design, and Eastdrom for some sick 3d asteroid modeling. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErsCOKXr3Q

I'm always looking for feedback, so please share yours.

Still not caught up with the thread, but had to say this is glorious. I don't understand how it is that you've managed to create an actually useable space-radar-thing in what must be less than 0.0001% of the time and with only several million dollars.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Galarox posted:

The Stimpire Parps Back

a masterpiece.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Still not caught up with this thing, but the SQ42 script can't be actually what was used, right? There's no way even a paid professional could struggle through that without collapsing in a fit of tears.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Tokamak posted:

You are talking about a person who wrote a movie script with a space bulldozer in it.

True, but I'm going to make the bold claim that the bulldozer was better. The bulldozer was at least unexpected, this is just 1600 lines of witless dross that sort-of vaguely reminds you of bits of better dialogue from actually good sci fi.

Dusty Lens posted:

Rumor mongering suggests that it's an early draft. But it seems to be indicative of what you should be expecting.

Oh to be a fly on the wall when they were doing their readings.

Yes, and I guess it's probably not going to get much better - I don't imagine Chris will let anyone else anywhere near his magnum opus.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

If they have NPC's unironically talking about "the 'verse" in the game I'll have to send my loving monitor to the cleaner's

quote:

[Julian Wexler]: "Commander. Hi, Julian Wexler. I'm the field manager of this little operation. Welcome aboard the Archon. What brings the Navy to our little corner of the 'verse"

e: There's even another song that rivals Full Burn in its lyrical intensity:

quote:

[Woodrow Tannen]: "The Army likes to fight, and Marines are pretty tough, but if you want adventure, the Navy's got the stuff. Oh we fly the 'verse, protecting those in need. We serve the Empire, At 1/5th light speeeeed!

Cobblers fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 2, 2016

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Reharakhti posted:

I made some peter gabriel fanart
Hope you see it peter, your videos are the best :3

This is brilliant.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Banano posted:

Does anyone have a link to the script? I had a moment of weakness, skipped a 1000 posts and must have missed it

http://pastebin.com/G8fNs8dT

You'll laugh, you'll cry, it'll change your life.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Asema posted:

somebody tell me the secret i'm impatient and lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben ate the warrant canary and everyone is mad.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

I've accepted that I'm not smart enough to crack this - I'm going to have to either let the man loving finish or wait until someone finally PMs/posts it.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

I wonder if the current CIG Star Citizen Thread Observation Intern managed to crack it.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Toops posted:

Here, have a weekly dev update to cheer you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnnRYfeyZo

I lost it at the bottle rocket. This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

These 10FTC things where Crobbits blithely commits to adding at least 10 completely infeasible and pointless add-on features to his as yet abysmally incomplete janky mess of a tech demo of a space game make me believe that they actually aren't in that much financial trouble. If things were as bad as Derek claims, I can't believe even he'd be allowed to traipse out there and commit to including procedurally generated wheatfields or a fully functioning space dentistry career with QTE gas-induced dreams for player-controlled patients or whatever. I would have thought we'd see some effort to trim the fat and manage expectations if things were that dire.

• Locked thread