Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Jesus Christ I leave for a weekend, and find I'm 1500 posts behind on even a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

welp that did it for me

also I like that this thread has slowed down a bit, let me catch up on the bitcoin thread~

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'd like to address you and your kind real quick. Don't worry, I'll make it brief:

Why? Why bother with all of the hours spent putting people down and trying to "burn all teh jpegs"? You could spend your time going outside, having fun playing games, or visiting your family. Instead, you choose to go out of your way to intentionally try and hurt people and their visions. Why?

If Star Citizen was going to fail (which it's not), why don't you just leave us "White Knights" (A community of One-Million people, I might add), alone and let us see for ourselves? Why do you care?

By the way, the man you undoubtedly worship doxxes teenagers in wheelchairs and children. Just fyi.

cite your quotes

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I am looking forward to this release because ever since they announced their "large world technology" dimensions, I have been theorizing that they solved the "CryEngine has fixed maximums for skyboxes" problem by using the MWO/PGI hack of shrinking everything down to stupid levels. This is why they can't get the targeting reticle to work, and why the physics are hella janky. In order to make a "very large map" on CryEngine, they had to make the people very small. So I suspect compared to default Cry, everyone is loving 1mm tall. This is why they are having so many issues with cameras clipping through people and so on, all those objects are like fuckin' 1mm tall.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Oh man look at all those posts Derek's blog must be fuckin rocking the casPAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRPPPP:yarg:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Is there a handy link for a compendium of exploding buggy videos?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Chalks posted:

Derek says insiders are feeding him the truth about CIG. Redditors say he's making poo poo up. Derek releases info that only an insider could know (ship names). Reddit has to make up an even more elaborate conspiracy to continue to ignore what he says.

CIG changes what they release, but because they chose the initial ones based on what they think would sell best, they end up losing out and looking like idiots.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
When I quit drinking lapsang souchong made an admirable replacement for my beloved highlands and islands.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

AP posted:

Something Tables.

These windows are the worst because they are real loving firefighter killers. Like, some poor artist or programmer decides he's had enough and sets this poo poo on fire, and some dude goes in to rescue him, they are right hosed if they need to bail out. Usually those cages are on the outside and you just saw them off when you get there but putting them inside is some bullshit.

Although it doesn't matter because CIG strikes me as the kind of operation to put a halon suppression system in there without any kind of emergency stop. A new and inventive way to downsize!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Chin posted:

Multiplayer aside is it really technologically more difficult to have a player fly a space ship and then get out and paaarp around in zero G than it is to have a player drive a car and then get out and run around a city? You know like GTA3 did in 2001? EVA seems to be the big thing when it comes to people claiming that SC is some impressive leap forward in game design but I don't understand why that is.

I don't even see how this glitchy mess shows promise or represents a solid foundation on which a good game can be built. The difficulty in simulating a universe should not be in wrangling your mutant FPS engine to do basic space game things without crashing, and yet that's where CIG is after four years.

Space is bigger, and you have to render a lot further, because the objects are bigger and visible from further.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

A Neurotic Jew posted:

for anyone who's missed it, Sarsapariller's ode to SC bugs is a pretty big hit and owns.

literally art. Body horror.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

Well, refund request sent, gently caress this noise.

This is the finest refund request I've ever seen.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Been jumping to 10 behind every morning for days, this is the first day I managed to catch up after doing it

Yall slackin'

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
remember us in 2200

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Galarox posted:

Bunnymen...

:captainpop: welp

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

MeLKoR posted:

Derek you just experienced first hand why it's self defeating to put someone on ignore. At first you took it to be an SC shill like any of us would but then you missed the reveal that it was just a goon troll and kept wasting time dealing with it like you would with a real SC shill. It OK, it happened. You should have owned it and if you were Smart, taken everyone out of ignore. At this point the best you can do is pretend it never happened and never acknowledge it again, trying to double class a puppet_master/roll_with_the_punches combo is a noble effort but it's not getting any traction.
Know when to cut your losses.

This is pro advice from a veteran poster Derek he's seen some poo poo and knows what's up

Also check your emails :mad:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Making PC gaming great again. I cannot personally feel immersed unless I spend no fewer than five hours loving with audio drivers. Modern PC gamers don't understand the fidelity of the experience of spending days figuring out SoundBlaster 16. Once again, Christ Roberts shows his visionary status for saving PC gaming by returning to our lost traditions and roots.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
If this ELE doesn't happen as advertised Derek will have proven that he can beat Chris in even the one thing Chris is best at: overpromising and underdelivering.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Caught up with the post apocalyptic thread, shitpostin' on ELE day

Derek must be giddy as can be since today's the day he's said to watch for for the last week

Intrigued by the EightAce Code. On the one hand come on, this schtick again? But on the other hand it's EightAce not Derek, so it might be real

Okay well that's an update on my thread experience guys thanks for reading ~~

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Lando literally facepalming

Just sitting there like that

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
seriously he's held that pose for 3 minutes now, even when he mumbles

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah okay I've never seen a RtV before or watched a single minute of any of that poo poo

1) why were they blocking people's faces with mics placed way too high

2) why is Money there at all, he's not even mic'd, he keeps talking but they don't have him mic'd so it's just like whispering

3) Lando holding that pose forever, either he's got a migraine or he knows some poo poo and doesn't like it

4) Lando "there is nothing to look forward to" lmao

5) no seriously what the gently caress they've been doing that for years??? mic placement lovely, production value lovely, rambling and incoherent like the worst kind of unscripted LPs, awkwardness tripling in intensity every second

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mendrian posted:

I get that the guy is/was an obvious schizophrenic but what was this surgery that he was supposedly performing?

Also how the gently caress did this guy get to Syria? It sounds like he'd have a hard time getting out of the house without being arrested, reading some of his posts.

He flew to a border country (I think Turkey?) then crossed in via taxi by telling people he was there to support the rebels. There was a report from the hotel he stayed at on the border.

He was presumed dead because a British prisoner who was released claimed he died in one of Assad's black site prison camps.

This is an article from pre-release that surmises he died: http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/syria-isis-kevin-dawes

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Haskell9 posted:

A nine year delurking :prepop:

It is an omen.

Holy poo poo 07's are 9 year vets now

All my life on these forums :negative:

edit: I am a "mister" in forum years and I expect the due respect of it now

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

What was the leak?

On another note, this is the first time I've watched one of these and everything is just so strained. It's really extremely uncomfortable.

Is it the RtV, or are they being shocked with the worst kind of electricity???

it is impossible to tell

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Atreiden posted:

2) Money showed up in the live-streams after the escapist article accused Sandi of being a racist. He is a video editor or something and have nothing to do with the game. He is literally a token black guy

Like I knew that was the actual reason, I've been following since like October, but what is the pretense for having him on there??

Like surely they didn't just go "hey we have a new cast member by the way, say hello to Money. Okay so once upon a time I played Wing Commander uYa Whoah Did Ehp Did Eh Woh Did"

So I mean if he is a video guy why is he in front of the camera CIG you have hosed up yet another thing

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

cocaine dad show posted:

Ok so, and bear with me here, in elite you can go to the uncharted backwaters of the Galaxy and discover big gay stars that no one else has seen before and admire them from your hotboxed ship, in VR, with minimal amounts of being harassed by pirates. You can do this right now on a game that exists.

You won't even be interdicted in the backwaters of Elite. After you get about 400LY outside the bubble you will never see another player or even NPC.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
The blog is just some details and additional information about stuff we mainly already know about. There's nothing that is like a mega bombshell in the blog itself. It alludes to some things we know a bit about but not much. For the most part the blog is okay, there's some good, more detailed information about things we've speculated on, and a lot of recapping and naturally links back to blogs from 2015 because why say something once when you can say it 20 times? The more interesting stuff comes near about 2/3rd down the page under the header "going for broke - follow the money." The ELE mention itself is in the last section and is pretty good information but more of a teaser, no specifics yet for what will be obvious reasons (that whole "tipping off" thing is real, y'all).

But yes the blog is good but please do not hype yourself too much, it drops a few hints about what many suspect is an ELE but it is not blatant about it so I am sure you will be able to go "hah see Derek just blustering again another blog 2 weeks lol" and that is fine if you want to do that, but don't say you weren't warned.

Source - I've read the blog yo.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

i am harry posted:

um what does ELE stand for?

English Language Evenings, it's a series of lectures on the alien language that they're inventing, being hosted from the Manchester offices at 7PM GMT.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

SurfaceDetail posted:

Hope he just says what it is. If its an ELE it wouldnt matter if we knew or not. Not like the dinos would be able to do poo poo about a comet whether they knew or not.

There are at least two major things coming down the line. One of them he spells out quite clearly because it's public information, basically having to do with the TOS dates and etc.

The second event he can only allude to and it's because it is not so much "hilarious comedy of errors from CIG" and more "hilarious comedy of johnny law wrecking people's poo poo" and it is super dumb to just broadcast that kind of thing lest they turn their attention to you.

There is nothing in this particular blog that is going to like, change your life or anything. If you're not 100% up to date on the thread, it's a good read, and if you are, it fleshes some topics we've had known about out.

But this is just the kind of "here's what to watch out for" post. Like, if you read the back third of this thing (first 2 thirds or so are recap) then you will know what to be watching for.

So basically for weeks now Derek has been saying "2 weeks just wait the end is near" and everyone has said "the gently caress you talking about old man?" Well this is him going "look this is what the prophecy foretells." You don't see it go down yet and you don't get to know the specifics but it does kind of tell you what flavor of apocalypse to expect.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Wafflz posted:

So the cliff's notes are They're hosed, The End, Two Weeks?

Nah I'd put a little more detail than that in it if I was doing a Cliff's Notes. You wouldn't pass the test with just that.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

flyboi posted:

i want to believe it'll be amazing but not letting the hype get to me like in the past

This is the right approach IMO

There is some fun stuff in the first third, the second act is just block quotes of previous blog posts, then the third act is pretty nice but not likely to sate the appetites of the most hungry for blood.

It's like Bruce Lee says. This blog isn't the writing on the wall, it's like the finger pointing to the writing on the wall. Focus on the finger and you'll miss all that writing.

OR something like that

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Polish Avenger posted:

Tell me how to get in.

I cannot for it would be rude

Be patient it is really not a tease there is a blog post there and I guess Doc S is still editing it??

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
He is refactoring his pipelines and all of my mentions of parts by their place on the page are getting thrown off

Interesting details under header "going for broke - follow the money" are now about halfway through instead of back 3rd, added a bunch of words I haven't read that are presumably more details and links about the TOS thing I mentioned, and he put a big block quote of like blog 1 at the very end.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's still being edited it is extending, like the pipeline

Explanations of explanations appearing

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Polish Avenger posted:

Why publish a protected page to edit when you could just edit the page before you publish it? Does Derek need a hand with the Website Machine? I'm starting to smell troll.

Based on the edits that are happening my take on it is that Derek has this tendency to get kind of animated and write a bunch of poo poo, and then when he goes to post it he looks at it and goes 'oh poo poo maybe it is not clear enough' and adds a bunch more poo poo. Then just before he hits the unveil button he reads it again and goes 'oh gently caress maybe that's not clear enough.' Which is why he's added a block quote of the first summary post to the end, and now a paragraph summarizing the block quote.

It's not a troll but like I said it's not life-changing poo poo, I'm being told I'm underselling it but it's mostly just a p good blog.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

flyboi posted:

Considering the last blog posts he has done that he hyped in here (and he's not even bothering with this one in this thread) it'll be a rehash of the things he has posted for the last few weeks and won't divulge the nitty gritty of whatever "huge" thing he can't talk about

BUT I WANT TO BELIEVE

No nitty gritty but I believe it adds a more concrete hint. Like it is somewhere between "they're hosed 2 weeeeekkssss" and "no this is the thing that will go down." It's kind of in this middle ground of like "they're hosed because of this flavor of event"

But there is some other good poo poo in it too that is pretty funny. All in all it's a Derek Smart blog, if you go into it expecting the motherfucking prestige you're gonna be disappointed but like if you're just in for a few card tricks you'll be pleasantly surprised

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm told blog is live now

All it says is "let me loving finish"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ragequit posted:

So the Fellowship of Christian Athletes has their eye on CIG? Very troubling. Very troubling indeed.

Yes basically this

The FCA stuff is a potential ELE. The other thing that he is p clear about is the May 31st TOS expiration but that is nothing new, that is his own pipe dream.

But if FCA is looking at them there are a few possibilities that they are being investigated for either being an unregulated financial service, or that they are being suspected of VAT fraud, or so on.

That they haven't filed their financial records is a matter of public record, for example Derek links to Frontier's financial statements. CIG hasn't, and this is a big sign. We knew about that, but if the FCA stuff plays out, and I don't believe he would've mentioned it if he didn't have a reason to believe it, then it will be a big deal

Like I said, the ELE itself isn't posted in the blog, just the finger pointing to the flavor of ELE we should be watching for.

• Locked thread