Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

neonbregna posted:

I believe this was a 200 million dollars over several games or years or something. If 200 million was spent on the steaming pile of excrement that is destiny that was a pretty good money laundering scheme.

It was 500 million, including marketing, for 10 years worth of Destiny releases - games, expansions, etc. I don't know how much was spent on the first game but it made a ridiculous amount of money on day 1 let alone everything else they have put out.

Amazing what happens when you release an actual functioning game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

I get it when people are 18-20 and want to pick a bone with the whole world, but at what point is it just sad that you're inventing internet bogeymen 'armies' to wage virtual wars against?

I mean, goons are morons but treating them, collectively, like an actual threat to anything except your e-honour :shrug:

They are people who have allowed their status as SC backers to become a core focal point of their identity. Since all they have for their money so far is a broken dogfight arena and Flaming Cryengine Buggy Sim 2015 they don't have much to play that distracts them from people pointing out that something stinks with the whole affair.

They also don't seem to realize how good SA is at low effort, high volume shitposting. Star Citizen is just the newest, shiniest target for us. If they stopped touching the poop then we would more quickly pass to the next phase, which is turning our restless poo poo flinging on each other until the next opportunity arises.

Since they are incapable of restraining themselves, we continue to go forward in absence of fresh corporate fuckups since they can't stop giving us new targets and wondering what happened.

In summary, PARRRRRRRRP

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I feel sorry for anyone who takes a video game so deathly seriously that you can't at least laugh at silly faces and Photoshops.

Unclench, Reddit, unclench. :gary:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I love that it is entirely likely that a game company that has raised close to 100 million dollars is making major business decisions entirely to spite or attempt to discredit Derek Smart.

Seriously, signing a new lease with skeleton staffing rather than confirming rumors/leaks of full branch closure? :wtchris:

:gary: PAAAAARRP

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Honestly giving 10 days as a time frame for 2.0 is pretty smart

If they deliver something at all, cultists will eat that poo poo up no matter how badly it is parped up

If they miss the date, well, game development is hard guys buy more jpgs

Meanwhile over the next two weeks everyone who isn't insane will be playing actual game releases, including but not limited to:

CoD : Blops 3
Fallout 4
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Star Wars Battlefront
Starcraft 2: LotV
FFXIV 3.1 patch

And lots of other poo poo that will keep most people and the games media from noticing that CIG poo poo themselves again

:gary:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Karl, why do you want to see people lose their money?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sound the Smart alarm!

:gary: PAAAAARRRP

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cattes

Not a catte but lazy like one

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if you've asked for a refund and it's not actioned within 2 weeks, you should probably just go ahead and initiate a chargeback. Outside of whatever financial fuckery they have going on that is causing refunds to come from unrelated companies or in multiple pieces, you as the (former) customer shouldn't be left sitting around waiting because they can't properly staff their support team.

Seriously, 5-6 weeks with no refund actioned and multiple "are you sure?" e-mails is loving absurd and just another huge red flag. It's not like they're going to have any fewer tickets in the queue in a few weeks when 2.0 "launches" or they have the thanksgiving sale or whatever other excuse they'll come up with.

Edit: Grimey Drawer fits this thread perfectly

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It was nice of lowtax to gift his contributors with a mark of shame.

I'm sure we all expected it

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Seriously this thread has broken my irony detector. I legitimately cannot tell anymore if seriousposts are serious or if they are goons holding pretend-stupid positions for the sake of getting a rise out of people.

Reddit can't either

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cats LOVE Cigars! posted:

True believers, what are you holding on to? The game is like 5% done and that 5% is bland and unfun. Just refund and parp with us.

parping ain't easy

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The poor thing is in pain

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All of their mocap studio coverage is going to make an excellent addition to the Croberts coke fuelled Escapist rant as links to send them when they ask what prompted a refund request.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I am really glad the Awful app isn't displaying any of that post

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There is a fantastic doner place a few miles from here that also has authentic German beer on tap. Been a while since I went, I believe it is about time

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lime Tonics posted:

Just wanted to give thanks for the insights in this thread, crazy people aside. I was in for 190, got a refund and used some of the funds to buy an account here. Funny thing is my logon still works at the other site even though it's supposed to be permanent deleted. The refund took forever though. A month or so, but keep at it and you'll get it eventually. I registered cause I got sick of seeing the kid get eaten by a window or whatever that thing is.

Welcome to the :gary: PAAAAARRRP forums

Apparently my phone prediction algorithm now suggests parp right after :gary: now

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The other thing is if people start trying to use the whole "Derek Smart is friends with a nazi" line of attack outside of their echo chambers they are also going to look even more like lunatics. It just looks like Godwin in action.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

I think around $1,500 or so including gifts. It's all in the goonswarm google spreadsheet, though not updated for some package upgrades. (For those curious, this is under half of what I've gifted to friends on Steam: )

I consider it a sunk cost at this point. At the moment I'm concerned that CIG may fail, but I would, being honest, like to see them succeed, because I like the idea of the game.

You seem like a good dude and I am glad you are financially stable enough to write $1500 off. That said, given all of your justified concerns you really should get a refund. Your donation is not going to make or break the project, but keeping your money in when you are aware of your consumer rights is basically enabling their bad decisions further and telling them that you are OK with their actions. You can always put more money in down the road when or if they address your concerns.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

Sound strategy imho. I'd also have to hype myself up by getting my peers approval in an echochamber to justify future purchases of jpegs against my better judgement. Otherwise I might start to think about my senseless spending.

Sounds like the Steam sale threads

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Derek hash the ships

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

So what's the big deal if someone knows the names of the ships? Yeah, you probably have some jaded low level employee leaking things here and there, but what does that matter?

Star Citizen fanatics have been hanging their hats on the idea that Derek is making poo poo up. Anything to corroborate that he has internal sources providing him legit info makes them more uncomfortable and desperate, which provides us more humor.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This is hilarious and cruel. It is a perfect representation of the Star Citizen experience.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Congratulations on getting out before this shitshow of a stream, Bootcha. :gary:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe my expectations are skewed, but for a 1 million backer, 95 million dollar savior of PC gaming I would expect more than 1500 twitch viewers the Saturday after a much heralded release. Mario Maker has more viewers.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Got a response!....

They changed their "Your refund should hit your bank account in 5 to 10 business days." to "Your refund should hit your bank account in 30 to 45 business days."

That is completely loving ludicrous. Can you initiate a chargeback because the stated refund period is unreasonably long?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bundle of Keys posted:

Um, actually, I just bought E:D because of this thread. :shobon:

Same here. A functional Euro Space Truck Simulator for fifteen bucks is a steal.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Idiots think that folks saying "Maybe this game might be released in some form before the impending bankruptcy, and that is cool because then we can go grief people who gave Croberts thousands of dollars " is somehow the goons seeing the light.

They are missing the fact that pretty much everyone in this thread that isn't a cultist is a winner no matter the outcome. We have gotten months of free entertainment at the expense of idiots and CIG's collective ineptitude. Folks have gotten their money back and are free and clear of risk now. We are on track for even more fun as we look at potential Derek Smart legal adventures or even the Ponzi collapsing. If Star Citizen actually comes out it doesn't retroactively render our fun in these threads null and void, it just means we can continue ruining everything in a more direct fashion.

We can't lose because all we expect is a shitposting good time and funny gifs. They have everything to lose because they continue to give CIG money for jpgs and can only hope that they ultimately get what they are desperately imagining.

I do feel bad for the folks who have legitimate mental issues who are being taken for a ride, or the ones who are going to blow up their personal lives and relationships from this addiction, but the ones who have the biggest issue with this thread not being a supportive echo chamber don't really fit that profile. Like Karl, they can go gently caress themselves.

:yarg: :gary:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Gillian's expression reminds me of the scene in The Fall where she confronts the serial killer for the first time and tries her best not to show any weakness.

She looked less distraught on pretty much every scene in Hannibal where she was interacting with Hannibal, and that was as a character that knew what the good doctor was up to.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

A character that was being fed acorns by the good doctor so she would taste better WHEN HE ATE HER.

God that show was amazing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ritorix posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300242

Sale extended for a day because of that drat inaccurate counter. :shepspends:

If they don't hit 100mil it'll be an all-week sale.

It is hilarious how flagrant they are.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Derek has some serious recipe game. That makes haggis sound good and not mildly distressing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If everyone posting negativity about Star Citizen is a Derek Smart alt account then it naturally follows that there are CIG employee alts out there too.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread. Parp

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I look forward to seeing what new and inventive things they can break by both switching to DX12 and developing for Linux concurrently.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

No poo poo. This is the understatement of the century, somewhere between "Hiroshima feels unseasonably warm for August" and "Star Citizens are a little carefree with their money."

You have a wonderful way with words. :holymoley:

Please keep posting these trip reports, they are a highlight of the thread.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wrecked Angle posted:

Okay, so I spoke to my mate and he said 'Just get a starter pack', but even that's £35 and then apparently you still don't access to the game yet? Even if you plonk down hundreds of £££'s (of loving thousands!) you can't even play the drat game without an invite.

There is a ship pack on that website which is £7800. SEVEN THOUSAND, EIGHT HUNDRED POUNDS!!

fake e. I now realise that all you goons already know all this but seriously my mind has been blown, and not in a good way.

Yeah, don't spend any money on this. It will be years before any sort of full release if it happens at all.

Your buddy needs an intervention. But hey, feel free to join us as we continue mocking this shitshow.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wrecked Angle posted:

Ahh, don't worry. As soon as I realised they were selling internet spaceships for more money than I spend on a decent meal then there was no way I was buying into this bullshit.

Glad we could help. Feel free to stick around and join the party, we are all continually amazed at where this sideshow takes us.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It feels enriching to be a boogeyman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Reading all the spergs projecting their hopes and dreams into Star Citizen really takes me back. It's like the great vaporware MMORPG days of Dawn and Horizons and the like, where communities grew and projected unrealistic game design goals upon pending MMOs and in many cases were strung along by developers taking advantage of a naive fan base. If the games ever did come out they sure as hell were nowhere near what was promised and often were buggy, boring messes like Anarchy Online or Star Wars Galaxies.

Between all of this, the hilarious forums drama, massive quantity of Derek Smart posts, etc..it feels like the early 2000s all over again. Makes me nostalgic for the glory days of Lum the Mad / Slow News Day / Corpnews and all the fun and drama that came from those communities and games.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread