Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I don't support weed legalisation because when the revolution comes everybody will be too baked to rise up off the couch let alone rise up and smash the bourgeoisie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

Ah yes the Canada heritage moments plus the fable about burning down the white house. Oh Canada true patriot love

I smell burnt toast!!!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

That's extremely clever and all, but do you have any evidence or even anecdotes that Canadians largely don't understand that?

There is ample evidence for this. Just look between the 49th and 60th parallels, on the Atlantic side of the Great Divide, between the 110th and 116th meridians. A majority of people in this bounded area believe that the Canadian government has near total control over oil prices, and still cling to the belief that they were used to deliberately destroy their economy in the early 1980s.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

James Baud posted:

Good job cluelessly trying to talk about things that happened 10+ years before you were born. (That said, 1980 Albertans are probably outnumbered 3:1 in their own province by now.)

I was born right in the middle of it though? Not that it adds anything to my understanding of it though.

Helsing posted:

Well, first of all I'd want to see the polls showing a majority of people believe any of those things. But even granting the fact that a lot of people in Alberta have silly ideas about government energy policy, or the history of the NEP, I think it's a bit more complicated than how you're presenting it.

People are very strange creatures and sometimes they will sincerely believe something while still, on some deeper level, seeming to know that their belief is nonesense. There's even a term that's been coined by bloggers: "symbolic belief", that deals with the situations. I feel weird quoting someone who is a fellow at the Cato Institute of all places but this argument makes sense to me:

Personally I think he's onto something. Even when people superficially profess to hold stupid beliefs that doesn't mean they always act on those stupid beliefs.

This isn't to say that the average Canadian is brilliant or politically savvy, but I think it just illustrates that polling people's opinions doesn't always reveal that much about how they will behave. The human mind has only a limited access to its own inner workings and asking people what they believe doesn't necessarily tell you as much as you might think that it does.

Fair point, but the problem is that a good part of Albertans, even those who are ostensibly reasonably intelligent and well-informed (my parents included) hold this belief. And when they're challenged on what effect the NEP actually had, they really can't answer that.

My point is this; sure people take on a lot of stupid, superficial or otherwise baseless opinions without necessarily believing in them totally, but if that opinion is all they express does anything else even matter?

E: I live in Harper's riding, and I can provide anecdotes from now until forever with respect to climate change deniers, NEP frothers, western separatists, people who want to tag Muslims like Jews in Nazi Germany (or worse), people who unironically support Bill C-44...the list goes on and on. It doesn't matter whether they're just saying this poo poo so they win the "who's the most conservative?" pissing contest at Timmy's, the fact that they're even saying it at all is disgusting and disheartening all at once.

tl;dr I'm going full CI here and hoping Pol Pot gets elected premier in 2019

MrChips fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 2, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

El Scotch posted:

It's horrendous that the loving wombles that have been running Alberta allowed the Heritage fund to wither and starve over the decades.

When you look at Norway, it's an outrage that there aren't tens of billions in there, let alone the 700-whatever billion the Norwegians have.

You know the bitterly ironic thing about the Heritage Fund was that when it was first set up, the Norwegians came to us and studied it in depth to use as the model for their fund.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

jm20 posted:

and have large focus on mordor stocks (or secondary exposure) in your portfolio. A lack of diversity seems to be the Alberta way.

A diversified portfolio, according to your average Albertan investor:

"I own stocks in senior oil companies, junior oil companies, midstreamers, service companies and pipelines!" :downs:

Helsing posted:

The real irony here being that if Alberta didn't have such a hardon for tough guy rhetoric from it's leaders then maybe the federal Conservatives would have actually reached out to to environmental groups. I'm willing to be bet it would have been pretty easy to entice some business friendly dudes with some limited environmentalist credentials and co-opted them into supporting Canada's "ethical" source of oil. Maybe appoint somebody to a a government commission, promise a future senate appointment, provide government grants, etc. A charm offensive might have also worked wonders on American environmentalists too.

But Albertans -- or rather, a majority of the Albertans who both to vote -- really swooned over politicians who pretended that they could force America or the rest of Canada to accept these pipelines through sheer grit and gumption. And now that this has fallen apart plan B is apparently to whine and moan about equalization payments.

You know what the reward for equalization payments is? The possibility of receiving them in the future, when you need them. This is like complaining that the government won't pay for you to renovate your house even though you've been paying into Employment Insurance for years dagnabit!

Jesus, this is, like always, pretty much spot on. It really shouldn't come as a surprise to Albertans, the province of "let those eastern bastards freeze in the dark!" that when we come asking for a pipeline, hat in hand, that we're told, "good, let those Albertan fucks starve on the streets!"

Perhaps if the NEP was still around, things might have gone differently...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Well to be fair the CSeries is a fantastic product from a technical perspective; it has met or exceeded, often by a wide margin, the performance goals set by Bombardier when they were attempting to sell the aircraft, and it turns out the engine has exceeded its performance guidelines that, when presented with them in 2010, everybody in the industry thought were basically science fiction. The problems with the CSeries program are twofold; first is that it's being sold by morons who don't know what the gently caress they're doing - it's one thing to sell aircraft to regional airlines in the US where they're all bound by ridiculous contracts with mainline carriers, it's another ball game entirely to sell the aircraft to mainlines. This is where the suits at Bombardier failed miserably - they don't know how to pitch their own loving aircraft.

The second problem is that economic and political decisions have severely hamstrung Bombardier when it comes to pricing. The dollar being high didn't help their cause, so they subcontracted a large amount of the subassemblies overseas, but now that's reversed the amount of subcontracting outside Canada on the program makes the low dollar as much a hindrance as it is a benefit. Second, we decided in the WTO case against Embraer and government subsidies to cut off our nose to spite the face by quite publicly cut off all subsidies to our aviation industry, in spite of the ruling ultimately allowing some level of subsidy. Another thing to think about is that our standing worldwide hasn't helped us one bit - you've all no doubt seen that Iran is going to buy 4-500 new airliners basically as soon as they can get the papers signed, and possible a couple hundred more in the next decade or so...do you think they even thought to talk to Bombardier, considering we still have our sanctions against them fully in place?

In short, it isn't an innovation problem - we can and have made lots of innovative products in Canada. The problem is we do every loving thing we can to kill them off because this country is run, both in the private and public sectors, by the most colossal morons to have ever walked the face of Earth.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

The geared turbofan is made in Quebec.

And almost all of the research and development was done there too. St-Hubert is about the only Pratt office left in their entire company that can design an engine worth a drat anymore.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Coylter posted:

Here is a chart showing single engine fighters as more reliable than dual engine:

On the range point:

The F-35A is expected to match the F-16 in maneuverability and instantaneous high-g performance, and outperform it in stealth, payload, range on internal fuel, avionics, operational effectiveness, supportability, and survivability.[495] It is expected to match an F-16 that is carrying the usual external fuel tank in acceleration performance.[496]

Your point about the tankers is valid but couldn't we just adapt the tankers. This doesn't seem like something that would require changing the whole plane but instead change the feeding adapter.

edit: I mean its not like engines just go out randomly all the time that having a backup makes a big difference. In fact in twin engine setups having an engine break will often break the second one.

Is there anything else that Wikipedia article you copy-pasted can tell you about this?

The tanker thing you so conveniently handwave away is literally a billion dollar problem. The cost of designing, testing and deploying a retrofit is enormous, especially considering nobody has ever fitted flying-boom tanker gear to an Airbus A310.

Also, your engine point is completely invalid. In combat where aircraft are being shot at and damaged, maybe, but in normal peacetime operations it is good insurance to prevent a very expensive loss of aircraft and possibly aircrew; double engine failures are almost non-existent, if you break down the statistics. Since we can barely afford to buy new fighters, we sure as hell can't afford to lose any needlessly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Helsing posted:

Still not clear on why Canada needs a stealth fighter to begin with when the money could be spent on something that is actually useful.

Because we want to go around doing HOOAH BUSTING DOWN DOORS bullshit, trying to be MURICA LIGHT, when in reality all we need is something to shoo the Russians away and haul bombs every once in a while when we show up to bomb mud huts in the desert.

So we don't need stealth, but we do need range and speed to cover our territory. Also, since most of that territory would result in near certain death for any aircrew downed in it, and is virtually bereft of any useful airports, two engines is almost a necessity as insurance to prevent loss of life and airframe.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Is Uber liable for damages when their driver goes on a mass shooting spree while he/she drives my drunk rear end home from the bar in some sort of weird, reverse-Collateral plotline?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

I also think the airlines have got things backward: they should give hold luggage allowance for free and charge for overhead bin space, so I never have to put anything under the seat in front of me.

P.S. Premium economy is a delightful concept and should be available on all aircraft. WestJet got that right, at least.

That'll never happen because the airlines make as much or more money flying cargo in the hold than they do hauling your pasty rear end around.

Also gently caress Westjet and their Kool-Aid drinking legions of moron western Canadian fanboys. They are a poo poo-tier company in every way.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Hexigrammus posted:

Hmm. Looks like Peter Julian has an interesting resume. Didn't realize he had a pivotal role in the Transport Canada fight around substituting Safety Management Systems for actual aircraft safety enforcement. Gotta love SMSs. "Here's a wall full of paper that shows we're safe. No need for Labour Canada inspectors to check that we're actually doing any of this. You can go ahead and fire them all, or at least restrict them to their offices."

See also: Pipelines, Oil Tankers.

That's one thing that changed significantly over my career in Health and Safety. I started out trusting, then moved to trust & verify, then said "gently caress it" and just verified.

Here's the thing; SMS works, and works well in aviation.

First things first; SMS is not an idea unique to Canada - rather, it was mandated by ICAO a number of years ago because of the inherent conflict of interest between the regulator (Transport Canada) both making the rules and enforcing them, to say nothing of the fact that the regulator is almost universally tasked with helping to promote and advocate on behalf of their nation's aviation industry internationally. In order for our country to continue to be an upstanding citizen in the aviation world, we had no choice but to go down this road.

Second, in terms of how SMS actually works, I would say for the operation I work for it has been a net benefit, even though the cost of running an SMS is a LOT higher than the old system was...for an airline the size of Westjet or Air Canada, it is easily into the millions of dollars per year. For the operations I have worked for, which have ranged in size from a couple of aircraft all the way up to a few dozen, in every case SMS has opened up a better, more proactive dialogue between management and the staff in regard to flight safety, and many issues, even contentious ones like duty days, pay and quality-of-life, have been discussed, if not improved. Having said that, there will always be good operators and bad ones - for some companies, SMS has done the square root of gently caress all to make them more accountable or more willing to address their issues...Buffalo Airways is a prime example of a company that fell into this category. From the perspective of Transport Canada, SMS helps them delineate between the good and the bad, and devote their resources appropriately to enforcement.

Now for the caveat, and it's a big one, and one where we are failing ourselves. SMS only works if there is a robust regimen of oversight and enforcement by the regulator...by and large, Transport Canada usually does a good job of this, but they are critically short of resources and manpower, and considering the average age of their inspectors, it is only going to get worse in the next decade or so. As it is right now, there are only about 140 inspectors for the whole country, inspecting everyone from Dodi's bush pilot operation all the way to Air Canada, and they are being run off their feet. Every time I visit or call their office here, it seems to me that they are up to their eyeballs in poo poo and not making much progress beyond that.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

People who bitch about equalisation payments never seem to realise that they are calculated based on what the federal government calculates your provincal government should be able to raise in terms of revenue, rather than your actual revenue.

That way you don't get some chucklefuck province that decides to levy a flat and wholly inadequate 10 percent tax rate and then compl

wait a minute

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I loving love the Alberta Party. "We stand for everything and thus nothing, but we're moderates, vote for us!"

The Alberta Party only exists to stroke Greg Clark's massive ego.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

At the moment, yes. Once I finish my pilot training and get a job in that industry, my priority will be higher pay, but also more hours. I would, in fact, prefer lower pay and more hours than the same amount of pay overall with fewer hours, at least until I get up to 1500 hours. But I guess that's a fairly uncommon situation.

You stupid loving rear end in a top hat. Pieces of poo poo like you are why they industry is in such a loving shambles today, because employers knew damned well that their labour pool was desperate to work and would do it for basically nothing if pushed toward it.

If you're going to have an attitude like that, you should just stay as a computer janitor and live out your Randian fantasies there like the rest of the autistic sadbrains.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

THC posted:

CIBC trying to whitewash pride into some kind of patriotic event, like its not even about gay people anymore. STAND FOR CANADA :patriot:

#IStand for ending capital gains exemptions on housing, tightening lending rules, implementing a tax on all investment transactions and cleaning up the mess of rules that has made Canada a haven for money laundering.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Because bitcoin bypasses and disrupts ((big finance)) and bitcoin isn't fiat currency that was forced on us by the ((globalists)) to cripple our economies and make us slaves to imaginary debt that isn't even backed by gold.

It's always fun to ask these idiots why they think gold is somehow different to fiat currency. I mean when you think about it gold is valuable only because we've agreed it is...

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 15, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

If we wanted to go tit-for-tat with Boeing, remember that between Westjet, Air Canada and Air Transat there are about 140 orders on Boeing's order books for brand new 737s and 787s.

E: I should also mention that Boeing is really on the back foot right now as a company; their defense business is basically in crisis mode right now, the 787 looks like it might not ever make any money and Airbus is eating their lunch in the 737/A320 battle because their latest version only served to further open up the performance difference between the two aircraft. Not to mention they are spending a pile of money designing the 777X, and are going to spend even more building what will likely become the 797 in a couple years.

PT6A posted:

We're flying JT8D-powered planes up north which are twice as old as I am almost, and a Canadian company chose to build a regional jet of no particular distinction. gently caress them, they had a near-guaranteed market and ignored it.

Yeah let's ignore a market that is forecast to need between six and eight thousand aircraft in the next 20 years and go build something that there is a total market size of a couple dozen aircraft operated by companies that cannot afford to buy any new aircraft.

God you're stupid.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 28, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Guys we should be celebrating Kenney's victory as a great victory for interspecies politics. I mean this is the first time a literal pig has been elected leader of any political party in Canada.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

infernal machines posted:

I think acknowledging that we have absolutely zero leverage and will be bent over a barrel in each and every trade negotiation is still a step too far. We'll make a different terrible procurement decision instead of facing our complete powerlessness.

Well in the case of the Bombardier dispute we had some leverage but chose not to take it because we like to roll over.

Air Canada and Westjet have something like 140 Boeing aircraft on order, it would have been a shame if we decided to tariff them like for like.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Count Roland posted:

So Scheer voters are the punctual type I suppose.

Coming from last page, but yes Scheer voters strike me as the kind who like things, such as trains, to run on time.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

the blue jays are a poo poo team and anyone who supports them should feel bad about themselves for doing so

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

drjuggalo posted:

i live in calgary and one of my friends sent me a bunch of links defending the tar sands when i said that its icky and we should be off it

https://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/2014/07/vivian-krause-great-green-trade-barrier/
business.financialpost.com/opinion/u-s-foundations-against-the-oil-sands
vancouversun.com/news/local-news/u-s-lawmakers-probe-russian-ties-to-anti-oilsands-groups
http://torontosun.com/2013/05/13/ma...c8-f62b871b1c1d
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/25-years-bison-reclaimed-syncrude-oilsands-lease-1.4538030

he said that russians and americans are trying to keep canadian oil out and that the tar sands arent even that bad but im a BC native and something in my bones is saying he's being biased

We can't have FOREIGN AGENTS opposing the oil and gas industry!

-The industry that is 2/3s owned by foreign compamies

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Mods can we make the word filter change Ontario to Onterrible?

I mean as dumb as that nickname is, you guys really earned it tonight

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dreylad posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeRoach3/status/1015212921071329281

fun thread about the F-35, I knew about a few of the problems, but certainly not all of them

Yeah that thread is basically bullshit. I mean, the clue should be that the account is active hundreds of times a day, retweets all kinds of strong opinions about antifa and nazis, and lots of anti-western sentiment.

It's almost as though it could maybe, possibly be a Russian twitter bot!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

See if we were really smart we would have gone with the Rafale already, or we'd have bought into the recently-started French/German project to build the replacement for their Rafales/Tornados and got some pretty massive workshares to keep the Bombardier family in the finest of nose candy.

But yeah, we're not, so...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Basically, to maintain the license and ratings I have now, I wouldn't need to do any written tests unless I let one of those ratings lapse -- just flight tests.

IIRC if you let your instrument rating lapse you don't need to re-do the written exam, only flight test again. That might have changed since I last looked into it though (and isn't really relavent to me since I've kept it current for like, a very long time now).

High? No, they were 60 feet off the ground. :haw:

In reality, they were both exhausted, which was a huge factor in this incident. It was 3am body time for both pilots; one of them had been up since 7am, the other 11:30. The takeaway here is that our government has been reluctant to implement pilot fatigue rules that are a) written with modern science backing them instead of just the arbitrary limits chosen in the 1950s and b) in line with the rest of the world, including the US.

E: oh and also rules that apply equally across the industry, because apparently once you hit the airlines your ability to cope with fatigue magically changes.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 13, 2018

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The facilities are all here, alright, but some of them - the ski jumps in particular - have fallen into an embarrassing state of disrepair. You'd think that with all the money poured into WinSport over the last decade or so that they'd find money to keep the place from literally falling apart, but here we are...