Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Das Boo posted:

How is it proposed Seinfeld skits are always funnier than anything that was ever on the show?

The formula is the right mix of cheesy and honest, while proposed skits are able to go beyond the cultural mores and limitations of 90s Network TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well yeah, Seinfeld is the dictionary definition of a :smug:-rear end motherfucker who got way too rich way too young for his own creative good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We're talking about Seinfeld irl not the character he plays on the show :smug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That thread was the tits.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Isn't the forum drama thread elsewhere in PYF?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anatharon posted:

I don't get this one, I know nothing about American football. :saddowns:

The play that happened is rare and a stupendous loss for the Browns.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

social vegan posted:

Exposure time = 2 weeks

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Thinkgeek Action shots (e.g: Laugh at the uber-nerds) thread in GBS is on fire.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Andre the Giant Disappointment

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The context of the pun is exquisite, but I was seeing that line on image macros back in 2002.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

Holy poo poo this had me laughing harder than that time somebody kept accidentally posting his workout log in an abortion debate thread over and over.

Yeah this sounds hilarious and I missed it. Someone please throw it up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Basically corporate memes, but it made me chuckle:

Choco1980 posted:

He went to Jared!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well this thread has finally given an explanation to why my local church imploded into a molten ball of concentrate hate emanating the wails of the damned, and a great seven-winged beast rose from the ashes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sestze posted:

i suppose drawing a picture of a man fisting a cow is more difficult than writing a few paragraphs about it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

You could also get probated for not punctuating a sentence or forgetting to capitalize something. Let's not pretend all the rules were good.

I have been around in some form since 2004 and I cannot recall a single time when those rules were stringently enforced as anything other than a means to get rid of shitposters and/or people the mods really didn't like.

Bear in mind these rules were also around during a time when SA's population was much greater and GBS in particular was heavy on Newsfeed-style content as link aggregators were nascent at best (i.e: reddit, tumblr, Facebook weren't really things), so there was a fairly strong divide between "comedy" threads and threads about anything else.

PBS Newshour posted:

Certain posts require a proper tone through correct grammar, though sometimes a post just needs to let its hair down and party!! woo

There's truth here. A lot of the funniest quotes I've seen from SA would not be the same without deliberately awful grammar.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 16:20 on Jul 15, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shrek made stupid crazy amounts of money and all their derivatives seem to clean-up ok. I'm more worried about what projects they say no to if this is what gets the greenlight.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

response 2 is "why", obviously
but number 1 is grudging respect.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know when SA consensus realized that CD sucks goats, but I am very amused that it did.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They're mocking the Avengers movie shot because they think it looks like posed toys.

Posing superheroes look like action figures. Water continues to be wet, cigarettes will still kill you, and your girlfriend keeps lying about your sexual performance. All this and whether or not a lit stove is hot, tonight on "no loving poo poo."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

Its just a bad looking shot, why are you going crazy about this.

I'm having a joke. Why are you taking it so seriously?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

i don't think you are joking man you seem to have a lot on your mind with your sexual performance and its affecting your posting in subtle ways

I actually like TVIV when it's chill, and when it's not it's like watching pigs wrestle in poo poo. :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The super racist chinese alien dudes do show up in Attack of the Clones, at least. I think they show up in the third too. I don't know. I haven't seen them in 10+ years and I'm not about to waste my time trying now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It was that Transformers movie starring Marxy Marx, of Funky Bunch fame.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Akett posted:

Just loving rename every subforum to this.

Subforum turf wars could be a fun summer event to coincide with Rio.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

E1M1 posted:

Sorcerers are not a kind of wizard, they're primadonna assholes who get by on their natural talent and good looks while I had to spend decades at the academy reading books and not getting laid and, yes, sometimes I had sex with the books

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

We need a way to identify gender and race through the internet. What do you propose, Telemaze?

Trig Discipline posted:

I think some sort of scanner that you press your genitals against would be a good start. If my iPad responds to my fingerprints, genitalprinting technology must be within our grasp.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm 25, my pants are around my ankles and I am furiously trying to escape my phones lock screen by rubbing my cock furiously across the screen. After ten miniutes, an alert comes up informing me I may have testicular cancer

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's cold out and my phone doesn't recognize my junk. Half naked standing in the street screaming about not being able to log into Pokémon Go.

Roro posted:

You didn't.

The rare 6-up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

social vegan posted:

Every time he went quail man was a reminder his heads too big to get the belt round his throat

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FlyinPingu posted:

I feel like a self-loathing alcoholic computer janitor calling someone a sadbrained pyf furry is a bit of a throwin' stones in a glass house situation

SomethingAwful involves a lot more "punching to the side" than its users want to admit

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I believe I can speak with authority that no one sets out to, it just kind-of happens.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

I have a degree in film myself, and amateur film review/criticism is something I've done off and on for a very long time. SMG's breakdowns aren't really all that foreign to the film school circles, there's TONS of guys just like him finding meaning in stuff where it doesn't belong. The funny thing is half the time I actually see what he's talking about completely. My main problem with him is that he's the sort where he then also refuses to listen to other interpretations of things, or well thought out rebuttals. Just "Nope, my interpretation is the ONLY one, and you're an idiot if you disagree."

This is the real problem with SMG. There's nothing really wrong with his gimmick and I enjoy it, I even enjoy the challenge to movies I like because I don't see things through his particular brand of autism. The problem is that he and those who like him (or like fanning the flames around him) quash any possible discussion via sheer force of personality and numbers. It's lame and I'm glad that more of SA is tired of that poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I always looked at his posts as a parody of over-the-top film school reviews anyhow and never understood why people got mad :shrug:

Because if anyone says anything about what he said he continues and you realize he is either insanely dedicated or more likely totally sincere.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Autism takes many forms and all of them are annoying

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Axemaniac was also a literal psychopath who had drawn pages of fanart of his cartoon avatar/wish fulfillment self doing bathrooms on restrained women

so, that happened

Oh yeah I forgot about that. What is it with mods here?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

wait, all that "ALWAYS BET ON DUKE!" stuff wasnt ironic?

oh, oh dear

blah blah blah "never start a community where being an idiot ironically is the point because eventually it will be filled with actual idiots who think they've found their home."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

DNF isn't so much outright bad (although yes, it is a pretty big clunker) as it's just the unfortunate result of over a decade's development slapped together like a horrific collage made by a small child from the bits and pieces of who-knows-how-many different iterations the game went through over the years.

It's not unfortunate at all. Whomever published it snatched up the rights as soon as they were available because they knew it was the definition of "marketing will do all the work" and they were right. The devs were only ever on-contract to patch together whatever existed into a semi-playable state because the entire selling point was never the game itself, it was the novelty of saying "oh hey Duek Nukem Forever finally came out."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

The really sad thing is a person with some level of education and intellect actually wrote and proofread that to post. Ironic or not.

Sad? gently caress no. Read the Nursing stories thread. Elise the Great is an A-tier human being. If they want to spend time writing about elf dicks then they have earned that right.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mostlygray posted:

Back when I used to ride in Centuries all the time and was riding about 125 miles a week, I was always put to shame by the guy wearing jeans and a yellow rain coat. He would have a milk crate full of groceries bungied to his front handlebars on his comfort bike. He would ride on flat pedals with his heels instead of toes. I'd be completely blown, and he'd be happy as a pig in poo poo just crancking his way up and down the rollers. He's always about 300 lbs too. This dude is riding a Century like it's his daily commute.

This isn't one specific guy either, every single Century I've been in has had that guy. It really emasculates a fellow.

TotalLossBrain posted:

What was his typical time?

mostlygray posted:

Whatever is faster than you are. Remember, this is a ridiculous person that participates in all such events. All that matters is that this ghost is always faster than you are, no matter how hard you push it or train, he always beats you to the next stop. You could be riding into a 40 mph headwind in the rain, or with the wind at your back and the sun at your face. Either way, he's always just ahead of you and looks like he's have the best day of his life with his stupid goddamn milk crate on the front of his bike.

Meanwhile, you're vomiting into a trash can from pushing so hard. gently caress guys that ride comfort bikes on their heels while wearing a raincoat. Who wears a raincoat on a hot day? Somehow, they always wear one. Why do they have a milk crate? What goes in it? You pass them going 10-20 mph faster than they are, yet somehow they overtake you. These goblins make no sense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pesticide20 posted:

A modern remake of Koyaanisqatsi would feature a lot of Phoenix footage

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xinder posted:

"My Spider-sense that warns me about danger is going crazy. Better not get on guard from sneak attacks or anything that usually come after it goes off."

Pureauthor posted:

Man, newspaper Spideman is just terrible at everything.

Lurdiak posted:

Reminder that when he heard Sabertooth was after him, his reaction was to move to a different city.

Xinder posted:

Now remind me why am I not reading this every day?

SynthOrange posted:

You are as terrible at life as newspaper Spider-Man?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Red Bones posted:

I think a lot of the people who do "chubby angry British guy" shtick come from slightly shittier parts of the country that were also the source of working class carnival workers, as opposed to like, posh dudes who read the news on the BBC, or farmers. That isn't to say that people from wealthier parts of England can't go on to become angry fat people on youtube, it's something anyone on this fair isle can aspire to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Mercy is basically a fanfiction character written by herself

'I'm a beautiful 17 year old girl with bright blue eyes who is was a med student grad at age 11 and now I'm a master neurosurgeon and leader of an entire hospital. I hate wars and killing and I've tried to tell Overwatch to STEP OFF but they just won't leave me alone!! And as a master machinist and armorist I have made my very own valkyrie battle suit (I HATE WARS THOUGH) to show them all that I can be their angel...or their devil.'