Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Veib posted:

I have a Simpsons Monopoly that doesn't have any cash in it, and instead uses plastic credit cards and a card reader. It's slow as gently caress to do everything with that single reader, so it's just like Monopoly, except waaaaay slower! I think the reader makes Homer noises or something.

Power of Pecota posted:

Are you being detained in Guantanamo Bay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

A Spider Covets posted:

Imagine being so angry and so dumb that when you call the police after a man slams your corn cob dick in a car door and the dispatcher laughs about your corn cob dick plight, you call the police again to report them to themselves

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

We still can, because removing it would break things, due to Radium. But there's a Forums Cancer button right by ban and probate.

Have you or any other admin ever accidentally given someone forums cancer instead of banning/probating them?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Learning about horse cum is 100,000 million times better than hearing about what some dipshits on facebook said or whatever. And I don't even like horse cum THAT much

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jesus Christ this Kale dude is going crazy that people don't like him. He just keeps bashing his head against the wall like his life depends on his reputation within this one single thread. It's crazy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Gone Fission posted:

what the gently caress is that picture? what the gently caress???

also what the gently caress are all of these feud posts? what the gently caress??? i wish I had an arch nemesis like everyone else here apparently does

Sid Vicious posted:

Guess what bitch

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Me: close the thread the quotes don't make you laugh even when you get them

Also, me: What if someone quotes you and the world realises what a cleber and smart poster you are, also funny and good at highfiving

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

So I was walking down the street, and this guy skated by me. Here’s the thing. It sounded like he had a big ring of keys hanging from his belt, or a lot of change in his pockets, but when I looked up, he was wearing a speedo! He looked happy though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Epebblephile

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

selec posted:

You are so scared of spending ten bucks you won't even demonstrate how confident you are that you could shut me up permanently.

Y'all wonder why you never see me in the Leper's Colony, well how come I never see you in the bank?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Got a request. I remember earlier this year someone did one of those jokes where the punchline is a link that goes to the profile page of whatever account you’re logged into. So like, “Everybody knows that this idiot is the worst poster on the forums.” If I click the link it goes to my profile, if you click it you get yours.

Anyway I remember someone took the bait hard and ended up making a weird threat toward the person who posted the link. “Obviously you don’t know who you’re messing with, so how about you alologize and we forget this ever happened?” Something like that. It was amazing, never has someone been so self assured while faceplanting so hard.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If there were still a PYF ban/probation thread, I would post this there. It’s time to play... Guess! The! Subforum! Hint: it’s not DnD!

Also, for bonus points: guess how long the probation is for. Hint: not as long as you would expect.

McGiggins posted:

Castrating people (preferably chemically) can, in certain cases, be a good idea, even morally required in some cases. An example that helped bring this point to me was a pair of downs syndrome adolescents that had partnered with each other, and according to their own statements, planned to have "at least 10 children" despite the fact that both were judged legally incapable of understanding what that actually entailed, and both were entirely dependant on full-time support staff just to stay alive themselves, especially considering that the partnering of a DS couple has an extremely high chance of passing on the condition to the children as an active trait, and certainly as genetic carriers if it doesn't show as active.

Does the rights of the individual, to self determination, to make widereaching decisions that involve dozens of other people that they are literally not capable of understanding the consequences of supercede the moral right of the society around them to intervene and make a better choice for them that is factually provable to have net less harm?

The Hendra crisis included a some breeding stock, and the application of eugenics in this case was to weed out the affected ones before they contaminate the stud horses. You need not actually pass traits in order for it to be a eugenical act, it merely needs to affect the transmission of traits. Eugenics through culling, which is my favorite kind, as it is the one I am most qualified to do, not being a full rate vet, as it were.

Yeah, it is in relation to his potential reproductive efforts, as he needs to stop being such a downer and put himself out there, or he'll never get that big Greek family his mother keeps badgering him about.

Self help advice increases his chances of getting laid instead of paying for hookers, and thus potentially making little greeklings.

I disagree with this statement, though it may just be the wording you used. What they did wasn't bad because it was eugenics. What they did was bad because cutting eyes out of twins and swapping them over to see what happens as part of human experimentation is bad. The process of encouraging white mother's and father's to breed together (while stupid) is eugenics, but isn't bad because eugenics itself isn't bad, as I expressed above. It matters what you do, why you do it, and the outcome of the two.

Eugenics is not automatically a -1 to morality.

As laid out above, I'm not necessarily convinced that true in all cases. Two people who have higher than normal statistics on any tests might agree to breed together for a child. They have willing decided make a eugenical choice of their own volition and pre-plan and construct a human being based on informed understanding of how dna smooshes together and are attempting to influence this for an optimum result by convince what they consider to be superior genetics (regardless of their race, backgrounds or political affiliations).

Doesn't seem inherently evil to me, consenting_adults.exe.

Abortion is eugenics, and everyone seems to agree that's just dandy. So we can use this as a baseline, and judge that if people are allowed to make eugenical decisions for themselves and their offspring, regardless of how well thought out or ill-advised the choice is, it would necessarily follow that in the DS case exampled above, who are legally required to have all decisions of consequence made for them, could then have their progeny quantity, or their being allowed to have any progeny at all, decided by another, nominally their caretaker.

To me, it burns down to outcome:
If you go around randomly punching women in the stomach or castrating people over 6 foot, that's bad eugenics.

If you have to stop people being born who are carriers for Fragile X, and you can mathematically prove that failure to intervene (either through abortion or genetic modification of the embryo) will be a massive problem in 150 years for whatever reason, possibly causing the end of your space colony or whatever, then it seems if the facts are the facts, then that has to be good eugenics. After all, it's not hypothetical if it's properly done, peer-reviewed and tested science.

I support the supremacy of the individual, but don't think that it extends to forcing everyone around you to live with the results of your current (or planned) decisions. I am not free to swing my fists until they hit your face, etc.

However, I do see situations coming about whether the reverse may be true, and where society may need to punch an individual in the face for some reason or another. I would only ever support such interventions when the processes and reasonings are well known and according to strict guidelines (no filtering out genes because you want a white only kid, for example).

Let me know if you want me to clarify any of the points I have made.

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times: horses and people are basically the same thing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

Context: Lord Adonis is a roboman being made fun of for advocating ethnic cleansing, so he's now threatening to fight literally every person in the UK Megathread in D&D

Lord_Adonis posted:

You piece of poo poo. Where have I ever advocated for ethnic cleansing outside of the very specific case of the United States, and only then after all possible attempts at racial reconciliation have failed?

Holy gently caress.

EDIT: "I'm not saying that ethnostates are a good idea, I'm just saying they're an option. This is a perfectly normal thing to say, and if you disagree with me, I'll loving kill you in real life." - A Real Human™

Ariong has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Dec 2, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tricky Ed posted:

I can't stand Jimmy Buffett, but it is not his fault.

Many, many years ago, in the very early 90s, my parents and I spent 10 days at a Caribbean resort that was trying to become the new hot all-inclusive place for rich people to visit. They billed it as "exclusive," but what they meant was "too small to matter." Anyway, they suckered my parents in with some huge discount or something and off we went to attend this gala opening event.

One of the things in the brochure was "entertainment at every meal." At the first dinner, there was a man in his early fifties in the corner. He had a floral-print shirt, an acoustic guitar, a portable drum sequencer, a Peavey amp, and a repertoire of James Buffett's songs. It was kind of neat as a welcome to this little island. One table requested "Why Don't we Get Drunk (and Screw)" and everyone giggled when he changed the lyric to "and shoot pool." People sang along to the chorus of Margaritaville. He got polite, appreciative applause.

Then, he was at breakfast the next day.

And then he was at lunch.

And then dinner again.

They had hired one man, whose entire repertoire came from Jimmy Buffet's "Songs you Know by Heart" album, and not even the whole thing.

For.

Every.

Meal.

Honestly, you could tell he could tell it was wearing thin by day three, but he (apparently) had to play to fulfill his contract. So we got instrumental versions. Uptempo. Downtempo. But never any other songs. Never any Harry Belafonte, or Bob Marley, or even any Beach Boys. Just Margaritaville, Volcano, Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude, Pencil Thin Mustache, Fins, Son of a Son of a Sailor, Come Monday, Boat Drinks, and the big finisher of Cheeseburger in Paradise.

I'll never know why a man who appeared to be able to play the guitar fairly well could only ever play those songs from that album. Maybe he couldn't store more drum tracks in that sequencer's memory? Maybe he was a friend of a friend who didn't realize it was more than one performance? Was he tricked into doing it? Did the hotel manager pick the setlist and refuse to budge? Whatever his reasons, the mood around him went from appreciative to tolerating to accepting before it just settled on acrimony. People rushed past his station at the head of the buffet line, no longer making eye contact. People began arriving early so they could claim the tables farthest from him first. The applause stopped. No one sang along.

The hell of it was that he was being put up in one of the resort rooms, so even between meals he'd still be there at the pool, on the beach, or in the lounge. It was a tiny place, so there really wasn't a way to avoid running into the same people over and over. No one else was ever with him, though. Most people avoided eye contact. He was miserable. We were miserable. But he'd sure as hell be there at the next meal, playing and singing those same nine songs.

On about day 6, he announced, true or not, that he'd lost his voice and wouldn't be able to sing for us. The announcement got his first round of applause since day two.

Weirdly, I found the interview with him to be interesting and entertaining. I guess I don't mind the man himself, but I can't listen to those songs even now. It's not really his fault, after all.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

How does your dab rig work? All of the ones I've seen are a bowl that you heat, then you smear the dab against the side with a metal clayworking tool while pulling through. There's no real chance for the butane to get in either way, except any butane that may have been left in if that was the method of extraction you used.

When I first read this I thought it was part of BDSM chat. Can someone give me tips for getting into butane play?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Guys, I’m not insane by any metric.

But...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The quote I’m about to post is not funny in and of itself. That’s because it’s time to play...

Guess! The! Thread!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Latinx" is in itself accepting sexism, and trying to counteract it by hiding. It's based on the notion that the "sexism" of the word latinos is insurmountable, and that is must be modified with a cipher to hide supposed masculine hegemony. This obviously just makes the gendering more obvious. There's a lacuna in the word that demands completion. It will constantly remind that there is a gender ending there that demands inclusion.

This reflects a paradox in modern LGBT/gender politics. Gender and sex shouldn't determine how people should live their lives or behave, they can in fact be changed... but at the same time they are treated as unavoidable and inescapable, to the point that a gendered language treating masculinity as a norm is a transgression. Thus "latinx" isn't really breaking down barriers of gender and sex, as it demands constant acknowledgement of differences.

Guess the subforum that this post comes from without clicking through for 50 points. Guess the thread for 500 points.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Random Hajile posted:

Poor old Freckles, sent back to the elemental plane of horse and died. was absorbed back into the equestream.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Please click through because this thread has a guy making, hand on bible, three seperate posts about how not mad he is about his new red title.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

There were a lot of bans today! A couple of them were people breaking the "don't tell people to kill themselves" rule. I don't know what's more surprising, that they haven't gotten the rule straight after like a year or that they need a rule to tell them not to do that in the first place. However, one particular ban really caught my eye.

I don't watch anime, but I found that this didn't hamper my enjoyment of the amazing meltdown that happened in the anime chat thread in ADTRW. It's not an angry one, more smug and sedate. As though this person is fully confident in whatever point they are trying to make. What is that point? I think it's about how a lot of people who make/like anime are nazis, but you shouldn't make a big deal out of it? They are very evasive when anyone tries to get a straght answer as to what they're actaully trying to say. The real question is, why would someone continue posting after the eight person tells them to gently caress off? Read on below.

drilldo squirt posted:

Seriously it's gross as hell but you've got to acknowledge that some of the anime community has got a weird thing going on with nazis. I'm honestly surprised poo poo like this doesn't pop up more often.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

UnfurledSails posted:

Goon asks for diet help and shares his weekly diet calories in the General Diet & Exercise Megathread:

I wonder what saturday morning must look like for this person. It’s probably like when someone wakes up after they turn into a werewolf for the first time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Mods please namechange to Maniacal Sweeper tia.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Lobok posted:

Ah, so the thread has moved from correcting the oldest joke in recorded history to correcting the biggest joke in recorded history.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I would pay good money to see that person's face at the exact moment they read "I'm Cree." Holy crap, that's amazing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ooh, this one has a couple of sweet hot takes from... Well, see if you can guess who.

Someone posted:

Abortion is like one of the few "reset" buttons in life. Women are lucky.

Gee, I wonder if maybe this Morally Inept fellow is possibly not the most worldly person on God's green earth.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yanking our IVs doesn’t do anything. Many can get away yanking out a foley because the balloon is pretty flexible but it can cause tons of damage in older people. Young people when they go full rage they can yank a ton of poo poo out of them we install and just walk away. It’s honestly kinda nuts. I’ve had young guys who are in wrist restraints reach up with both feet and pull their intubation tube out like loving Jackie chan.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Science bitches

I f*cking love science!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

This quote is good in context, but it also makes a great general addition to the lexicon. Especially around here.

Rex-Goliath posted:

imagine being so broken brained that you think this is a compelling argument to normal people

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

loving :lol: the old man’s still got it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

You know, I’ve grown to respect Uwe Boll in a way.

He's become a lovable old grump. I appreciate how serious he is about getting into the rink with the pink man Alex Jones.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Besesoth posted:

Arkansas has the venerable Toad Suck.

https://youtu.be/Y4tuF6PmLc4

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

choose life
choose cats

choose independence
choose sleeping through at night
choose not having to pick up turds

choose to avoid the weird intentional rotten/poopy smell

choose lazy friend
dont choose in your face friend

Ah yes, the best thing about owning a cat: not having to clean up their poop.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

i did clean up cat poop once, in i think 98, 99?

she lost the magnet thingie from her necklace so she couldnt get out

i guess ill have to withdraw the cat poop sentence because of that

Uh, where does she normally poo poo? What I’m trying to imply is that I don’t really see a distinction between picking up poop from grass using a plastic bag vs. picking up poop from gravel using a shovel. Personally I would prefer the latter because then the poop is never in the house, but objectively they seem pretty even.

No comment on the larger point re: cats vs. dogs.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i mean at least quantum mechanics makes predictions that can be empirically verified, even if no one really knows why it works

but bees, man. nobody knows why bees do things. they just do

That is, of course, because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

Europeans: "America is soooo racist unlike Europe, which is a shining city on the hill of liberal values!"
me: "and the Romani?"
Europeans: *face cracks and falls away revealing Adolf Hitler*

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://youtu.be/tZ1qHsw_V1s

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is basically my point, in all seriousness. The righteousness and zealotry that has infested "leftist" politics -- while always being there to some extent -- is manifested in a naked display of lust for control and power. There is no fundamental difference between communism and fascism at their extremes -- in the end, individual liberty is stifled, and the tyranny of the "majority" -- which is in fact a ruling minority, as it is always -- is enacted upon everyone.

You see now what Something Awful has become. You see the culture before you -- an abattoir of the most vile, unrepentent hatred and vitriol. Where a savage desire to appear progressive and forward-thinking has overtaken not just common courtesy, decency and sense, but has eroded any appearance of "humor" in favor of endless bullying, harassment and barbs. Where the most wretched of people act with impunity and those who call for compromise are branded traitors.

There is no discourse here, Ownager. There is no reason, no rhetoric nor is there a want for it. Under the current leadership this is exactly what SA has become -- a festering pit of shrieking, howling malcontents who hate themselves and the world so much that they care only for whatever excuse they can seize to destroy it. They don't care about solutions, about fact or reason. They only care about "owning" you and anyone who disagrees, anyone who does not step in line, anyone who objects to the common order.

This is what the left has become.

Maybe it's what it has always been.

I saw this years ago, I experienced this vitriol when it was once contained to D&D. Now see it has spread like a cancer, and what is the result? People abandon this website in droves. They flee and do not return and what was once valued in the millions is now an empty vessel making the loudest of sounds. This is the result.

If Lowtax still hears our prayers, he should intervene. He is the only one who can save this place -- if he even cares to.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

goethe.cx posted:

when you're in someone's gut and you're busting a nut, that's avoré

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I dunno why this thread got gassed, it’s incredible.

little munchkin posted:

40 year-old man: Things are going pretty rough for me at the moment. My kids and wife don't respect me, and my career is unfulfilling. It's so distressing to see the things you devoted 20 years of your life to turn so sour.
Second 40 year-old man: I can totally relate, my favorite web forum has gone to poo poo for me. We used to make fun of 9/11 and send harassing messages to mentally ill people, things i still find hilarious after all these years. Now suddenly the place is full of millennial SJWs telling us veterans that it's wrong to sexualize children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Nah, WoW is neoliberal centrist propaganda.

Just look at how people are now defending pre-eptive war and use of biological/other weapons.

Getting us all ready for Iran!

:thunk:

Zzulu posted:

If America can destroy three cities in Japan and say that it is for the greater good and get away with it, then Sylvanas can gas some cows and orcs and kill a tree for the greater good and get away with it imo

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

Apparently they’ve had to institute a more strict punishment policy in the Wow lore thread because people there simply will not stop accusing each other of being war criminals because they chose the red team or the blue team.