Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
My man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

syscall girl posted:

It reads like that old Zack Parson's article where Oprah Winnifred is secretly eating everyone.

I thought that was Rachel Ray?

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/weekend-with-rachael/

Makes more sense IMO.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Shut up Abe.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Grassy Knowles posted:

He intended on quitting multiple times in that time period

Actually that quote is fake. The images are from the documentary 'The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness', which explores Ghibli as they were developing The Wind Rises and The Tale of Princess Kaguya. However he never says that (and I should know, I was waiting for him to say it), he more talks poo poo about the industry and his crippling loneliness than he does about anime itself. Good doc though.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha! I know these guys. We've gotten drunk a lot of times. They used to live with one of my friends. They're amazingly fun.

I'll let you know allowing dogs to get drunk is incredibly irresponsible.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah. It's a parody of a slippery-slope type situation. Sometimes, when fan-translating from Japanese, you run into weird road blocks that can't simply be translated into english. For example, Japan has an unusual cultural hierarchy that demonstrates itself in weird ways. For example, in high school there's the cultural idea of 'Senpai', a kid from a grade higher than you. For some weird reason, you're considered more valid as a person if these 'Senpai' folk acknowledge your existence. Normal people would either be unaware of the trope, or if they were, consider it dumb. But nerdlingers are not normal people. They absorb this knowledge, and to validate their existence needs the world to acknowledge it. Some of these people end up learning Japanese, and use this knowledge to translate their favorite anime. And the Senpai is such an all important concept, one that Japanese high schools practically rotate around. How could you not inform these baka gaijin of this cultural institution, one that the modern nation of Nippon is built around. So in your subtitles, you leave the title unchanged, and add a note explaining the concept.

... Instead of just altering the dialogue to state that the protagonist wants to impress the older kids.

Point being, these dorks will put a note to explain any concept that can't be easily translatable. Sometimes it's food, or locations, or deities, or cultural institutions or trends unfamiliar to the western world. Sometimes it's words like senpai, which could be translated with a bit of exposition, but that requires creativity and understanding intention (rather than marveling at surface level style). This can be taken to extremes, where a fan-translator will refuse to translate a pet word because it holds "so much meaning" that the english language couldn't possibly convey in as few words. The image is imagining that scenario taken to literal extremes, where translators put so much importance on the fan-translation aesthetic that they make unnecessary work for both themselves and the viewer.

If you would like to know more about Senpai's, consult the literature in your local libraries.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh it's not just fan-translations. I've seen one or two shows where the professional translators have done it too.

Oh god.

Well, goes to show that I stopped watching anime in High School, when (aside from the big cartoon network series) most people got anime through torrented fansubs.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
In the midst of the Horror Movie thread was this gem:

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm just so tired of all these horrors.

Fart City posted:

Excuse me sir, the technical term is “spook-a-doodles.”

Hollismason posted:

Cannibal Holocaust is one of the best spook a doodles

Which led to two pages of insanity (get your scrolling fingers ready)

Franchescanado posted:

I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale, emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... Spook-a-doodle eyes.

Fart City posted:

Truly the spook-doodliest kind.

Narzack posted:

The Town that Dreaded Spook-a-Doodle.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Would you spook me?

I'd spook me.

I'd spooke me hard, I'd spook me so hard.

Franchescanado posted:

*looks deep into the mirror*

Spook-a-doodle...
Spook-a-doodle...
Spook-a-doodle!

Basebf555 posted:

We have such spook a doodles to show you

K. Waste posted:

Your mother spooks doodles in hell!

david_a posted:

The power of spook doodles you!

K. Waste posted:

Children Shouldn't Play with Spook-a-Doodles

K. Waste posted:

♩The sun is high, and all the leaves are green
My heart's as warm as a baked pota-tah!
I think I know precisely what I mean
It's a spook-a-doodle day♩

K. Waste posted:

Spook-a-Doodle-Doo, Where Are You!

Spatulater bro! posted:

If it's in a word, or if it's on a poodle
you can't get rid of the Spook-a-Doodle.

K. Waste posted:

Your Vice is a Spook, and Only I Have the a-Doodle

gey muckle mowser posted:

to avoid spooking, keep repeating: it’s only a doodle, only a doodle, only a doodle...

Kvlt! posted:

SPOOK A DOODLE IS PEOPLE! ITS PEOPLE!

DeimosRising posted:

I've seen spook-a-doodles... spook-a-doodles that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what spook-a-doodle means. Spook-a-doodle... spook-a-doodle has a face... and you must make a friend of spook-a-doodle. Spook-a-doodle and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies!

COOL CORN posted:

Bram Spooker's

Doodle

Fart City posted:

I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the spook, the doodle, the whole drat thing.

COOL CORN posted:

Klaatu...!

Barada...!

Spook-doodle!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Midnight Meat Spook-A-Doodle

Hollismason posted:

quick and dirty

Hollismason posted:

Last one I promise

King Vidiot posted:

Also thanks guys, I needed that after the day I had. :D

COOL CORN posted:

(this is the best page snipe i will ever make in my life)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
This is why I only camp near beaches. That way, I always have my three seashells.