Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Alopex posted:

Why didn't Gandalf just call up those loving eagles from the start instead of dragging people around mountains and mines and losing hobbits all over?

Slime posted:

Because the eagles would steal the one ring and try and rule the world.

Piell posted:

Let Frodo ride one, that obviously works because no horse ever tried to steal the one ring

rydiafan posted:

Horses don't have sentience. The eagles in LotR are of (at least) equal intelligence with the men, dwarves, elves, etc.

Gromit posted:

Are LOTR horses some sort of robot?

Polyseme posted:

Fantasy horses are robots, yes. Well established fact.

Bar Crow posted:

Poor ol' Freckles, divided by zero and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

BJPaskoff posted:

Pun chains are the one time I wish SA was like Reddit where all the pun replies would be contained to a single group that could be minimized so I'd never see it and also so all of you could downvote this here post of mine so no one could ever see it either.

So, what I hear you saying is you'd like to punt this stuff off the forum?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well...she's waiting in Istanbul.

Even old New York was once a number of Dutch towns, including Breukelen (Brooklyn), Vlissingen (Flushing), and Nieuw Haarlem (Harlem).

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Inspector Hound posted:

We love this loving place

Hire a computer toucher to fix the code, it sounds like that's a gigantic part of the problem

"Hire"? Why pay, when there's a guy on the forums who'll do it for admin privs? I don't have archives, but I think his handle is barium or thorium or something similar. Why not ask him?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

purple death ray posted:

I woke up this morning with a bad hangover and my anus was missing again

This happens all the time. It's detachable.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m actually shocked it wasn’t longer, I was thinking like five years or something.

more like oldsincetimeimmemorialless amirite?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've been inclined to grant these "mods please" wishes lately, to the extent that I can (which is to say, title/av changes) so y'all are warned

Pastry of the Year, I request that you find inner peace and happiness.

Also, i would love a name change to y'all are warned but I suspect the single quote/italics combo might be the last straw for the forums code. Mods?

thepopmonster has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Feb 24, 2020

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

Maybe because dwarfism isn't the same disorder that produces the other little people (without midget what do we call non-dwarf little people?)

By first, last, or preferred nickname depending on social context?

Note: This post is intended to contain a joke, and should not be read to imply that any quoted posters were posting in bad faith.

thepopmonster has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Jul 16, 2020

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Flannelette posted:

I feel like in 2020 big knees would end up in the safe top bit now on the fetish-iceberg.jpg .
You need multiple layers of fetish and meta fetish to stand out now. :allears:

I need Marx fursona big knees

Splicer posted:

From each according to furaffinity, to each according to his knees

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

All right, one more. But that's it.

THIS MOD TYRANNY WILL NOT STAND! TO QCS!

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

PM me a receipt to RAINN and you can have this avatar

We interrupt your regularly scheduled derails to call dibs. I was going to buy plat and then Yikesaroo 2020 happened, so no PMs, but I have in fact made a donation so DIBS ON KITTEH (I'll sort it out next month once the parent doxxing process is done).

In apology for the interruption, here is a picture of a funny quote:

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Investing in paint and paint strippers because its clearly the next evolution in warfare, thanks thread

Memento posted:

Investing in strippers is a time-honored military tradition, yes.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

We suspect that the decimal expansion of pi does contain "8008135" as many times in a row as you like.

Melondog posted:

Well that's just irrational.

Nah, it's perfectly normal.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

wolrah posted:

Someone who understands neural networks make thisgoatsedoesnotexist.cx happen please. This is a situation that calls for AI-generated rectums.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Lobok posted:

Or how Something Awful used to mean Something That Inspires Great Awe.

I think we're getting back to our roots.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

"wer" in Old English means "man," so a werebear is a man who turns into a bear exercises his right to bear arms. No wolf involved.

On the other hand, in Proto-Germanic some thousands of years ago or something, the bear had a different name, but it was so fearsome an animal, people started euphemistically referring to it as "the brown one," which in Proto-Germanic was something like "bero", which also is related to the English word "brown." So maybe "werebear" just means "brown(-haired?) dude."

Hey, where did wīz go?
dagōz when the regna- came
Down in the hulwiją
Playin' a new game
Laughin' and a-rinnaną', hey, hey
Skippin' and a-frawaz'
In the misty morning feukaną with you
Our, our hertô a-thumping and you
My bear-eyed girl
And you, my bear-eyed girl

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

abolish ice

In progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Is that the one where someone posted about drinking mercury once (as a small child whose dad was a chemist and irresponsible about storage)? Because I've read that post, and wow

It's more likely than you think.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-reconstruct-lewis-and-clark-journey-follow-mercury-laden-latrine-pits-180956518/