Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
From the AUG thread in reply to a post I made about Golden Corral. Which was inspired by somebody telling the story of somebody else who introduced him to Golden Corral as dinner theater rather than a restaurant.

Sagebrush posted:

"I've...eaten things...you people wouldn't believe.
A taco sextet with fire sauce, off the shoulder of I-80.
I watched cinna-buns glitter in the dark at the Tannhäuser bakery.
All those...meals...will be lost in time...like vegetables...in nacho cheese.
Time...to diet..."

If you haven't eaten at a Golden Corral do it at least once. It's...an experience...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

sweeperbravo posted:

bobby digital beat u last page but thanks for bringing it to this one

Well that's what I get for just skimming. Welp.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's an open-faced sandwich but still a sandwich.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Everything is a sandwich.

Except a well-done steak. That is not a sandwich.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pirate Radar posted:

The First Rule of Autism, of course, is "He who smelt it, dealt it."

Aren't we all a little autistic in our own way?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Then you get into weird things like anglerfish. The male anglerfish practically doesn't exist. He's tiny as hell and can't survive on his own for long. So he attaches to the female anglerfish and becomes a parasite. Over time he gets absorbed until basically only his sex organs remain.

Oh, and a female anglerfish doesn't necessarily only have one male attached.

Then there are seahorses. The males carry the babies. The males have a pouch that the eggs get dumped in that they then inseminate. Then some time later the male has this pouch full of baby seahorses that he just kind of sprays everywhere.

Sexual reproduction is weird.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

the human baby has managed to hit the perfect sweet spot where it absolutely cannot fend for itself in any way and is wholly dependent on its parents for survival, but possesses just enough mobility to kill itself the instant it is left unattended

Not to mention they become curious long before they realize that actions have consequences.

Hey, I wonder what's outside this window! I know, I'll just crawl out of it and find out.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

Everything else aside, how did paralyzed grandpa survive for 10+ days without water?

It's one of those moments of "it depends." Your body can survive for water for longer or shorter periods of time depending on conditions as well as just the natural make up of the body. Physical activity, hot temperatures, and exposure to sunlight make the body use up more water. If you're sedentary (as a paralyzed grandpa would be assumed to be) and in cool surroundings you're going to use less of it which means your stores last longer. Ten days is a bit of a stretch for basically anybody but not possible. Of course he would have been in terrible condition and not likely to survive much beyond that but 10 days isn't impossible.

People have managed to survive absolutely baffling things that really, really should have killed them.

Plus...

elise the great posted:

About 5-6 days, and I’m assuming refrigeration helped

anything less than a week is a much more reasonable time frame.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I like the theory that the Federation, being fully automated luxury gay space communism, is in the habit of building remote science labs and outposts for any grumpy fucker who manages to pass their university courses and has some cockamamie research idea that everyone knows is nonsense just because you want to give everyone a chance

Because it explains SO MANY EPISODES

The other side of that is "throw a bunch of poo poo against the wall and see what sticks" is a very good strategy if you have the resources. So if you have a gay space utopia where you can just kind of give everybody whatever they need no questions asked you can just hand a big rear end laboratory to any dingus that wants one. One of them is going to stumble on something incredible along the way. There have been a lot of very large corporations with big science divisions summed as "you guys just like tinker and poo poo here's a budget, just don't spend more than that." Most of the scientists won't come up with anything really cool but occasionally you'll have a guy that invents super glue.

Plus if replicators exist you're going to get people futzing around with utterly random crap just to see what they can get the thing to do. Probably the best way to explain all the insanity that happens in Star Trek is "humans get bored really, really easily." Of course we're going to fly off into space to poke and prod at every damned thing we can find no matter how unsafe it actually is.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If I could go back in time I'd sabotage all possibility of making a time machine.

Helloooooooo, paradox!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Slavic people used to be considered exotic, not European people. The orient express went from Paris to Istanbul. The Ottoman Empire at the time was considered eastern and oriental.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bunni-kat posted:

Not Constantinople?

People just liked it better that way.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bunni-kat posted:

I had a girl waiting in Constantinople...

Well...she's waiting in Istanbul.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why'd they change it?

I can't say.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lobok posted:

Even Einstein was a bit "...the gently caress?" with quantum mechanics so it shouldn't be surprising that most people have difficulty with it.

Part of that was because it had implications he really didn't like. That's why he said "spooky action at a distance" and tried to come up with numbers that refuted it. QM break minds because it's pretty unintuitive. You learn regular physics then you get to quantum physics and it just goes "lol nah that ain't me." Einstein admitted late in his life that he was wrong about some of the things he actively rejected.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Outrail posted:

I'm not sure why Quantum Mechanics is so hard to understand. I haven't thought about it in a while but basically it boils down to Samuel Beckett's original calculations resulted in a defective methodology. The only thing I can't wrap my head around is how things effecting the past effect the future in such a way that they can effect the past again without it becoming some weird paradox loop, obviously I blame Calavicci for that.

It's hard to understand because it just doesn't behave the way we think the universe should. The standard model stuff at least makes sense at an intuitive level. You know, get small enough and all matter is made of atoms. Regular matter is made entirely up of electrons, protons, and neutrons. Get smaller and those are made up of various quarks in various configurations. Antimatter is basically regular matter but with opposite charges. Behaves about the same but don't let the two touch each other. We don't entirely understand gravity but all matter is attracted to all other matter all the time. Here are the numbers.

Under normal circumstances standard physics is enough but once you get into extreme circumstances poo poo just breaks down. People having trouble understanding quantum physics is about the same as people understanding why you can't go faster than light. They'll think "but what if..." when the issue there is that the equations they know that accurately describe what they can break down at that level. It's also pretty drat hard for our stupid ape meat brains to comprehend stuff when the numbers get that big. When you get into quantum level stuff you have to start thinking in more than three dimensions, the equations you know are so far into crazy land they quit existing or change in ways that you can't understand, and some quantum stuff just completely loving ignores literally every rule you learned in school. Even if you understand the math and the theory it's still hard to wrap your head around it because your head is a three dimensional object full of ape meat.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Spread your cheeks and let the remainder air dry. Eventually it will just flake off naturally.

Lol, just lol, if you don't have Enrique do your pooping for you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

wayfinder posted:

What's terrifying to me is that in all probability, a bunch of the world's biggest computer-based services are the same way. Just a big pile of spaghetti and when you change the wording on a checkout page in Brazil, suddenly the payment system in Denmark is in Hebrew, etc.

It's all of them. All code is terrible and every program is a tangled mess of gross hacks, badly organized structure, dependency on libraries that haven't been updated in 20 years, and prayer. The internet is accurately described as "always burning down all the time."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pick posted:

How can this be the case when software engineers, as they'll tell you, are the most smarterest people in the world?

No matter how smart you are software engineering involves thinking in ways that meat brains are badly equipped for. Like yeah a stupid person probably can't do it but those that really get it acknowledge that there is no such thing as good code.

One if the things that skews opinions is that it's far easier to write code than it is to read it. It's very easy to fall into a trap of "everybody else's work is bad but mine is amazing. What do you mean you don't know what it does? It's obvious to me!" Coupled with narcissistic bro coder culture and "well I make six figures so I MUST be brilliant!" bullshit and...yeah.

Like yeah a software developer probably has a decent education and isn't a dingus but not all of them are super ultra geniuses making breakthroughs that rewrite entire academic fields. Then again they keep getting pushed to be that by investors that want to disrupt all the money into their bank accounts so eh.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Software development is an inherently slow, tedious, and unpredictable thing. Unfortunately the customer wants their new features last week I mean really you should have just known that I would needed that feature and no I don't care that I neither asked for nor paid for it you guys are too expensive how hard is programming anyway? I could do that in excel and visual basic in like two hours.

Meanwhile every programmer that can hear said customer just died a little more inside at the mention of excel and vb.

Then sales who never understands technical anything and doesn't want to makes impossible promises to a customer to get the sale because the programmers can just do whatever, right? I mean they like coding so it isn't a problem if this takes a bit of crunch to get out the door. Then it turns out they told somebody something like yes we will totally solve the travelling salesman problem in three weeks for you.

Meanwhile c level pressure caused a feature to be rushed. This led it to be released in a horribly buggy state in a spaghettified mess the developers planned on fixing but then the same c level person declared that time spent fixing bugs doesn't lead to new features and only new features lead to sales so don't fix or reactor it. Sales just promised you'd solve the travelling salesman problem again so hop to it! What do you mean you can't? You're supposed to be good at your job? Why am I paying so much for a negative person who can't do some things? Programmers solve problems. Now solve this one or you're fired.

...why are you handing me your two week notice?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

Imagine you have a map, with lots of cities and roads between them, and each road has a particular time it will take you to travel along it. You want to visit all the cities, with as little time spent driving between them as possible. The Travelling Salesman Problem is about figuring out what order you should visit those cities in order to get the absolute lowest possible amount of travel time.

You could figure out the answer by looking at every possible order you could visit those cities, work out the travel time for each of them, and see which has the lowest. The problem there is that, as you add cities, the number of routes you have to check grows exponentially - adding city #1000 multiplies the number of routes you need to check by 1000, and it all gets out of hand very quickly. Often with this sort of problem there's a clever mathematical trick you can use to solve it much faster.

The reason the Traveling Salesman Problem is notable is that there actually isn't a better way - every way to solve the problem that you can come up with has the same issue of taking exponentially longer the more cities you add. (Either that or P=NP and chaos reigns).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_salesman_problem

This, basically. It's one if the classical problems in computer science. It's easy to solve in that the algorithm is pretty obvious. It just becomes very computationally expensive very quickly. It can be very difficult to explain that no you can't just keep throwing more hardware at it as you can end up calculating quintillions of paths. Nor can you do some programmer magic or just miracle away the problems.

The number of routes to calculate is (n - 1)!/2. That's fine if you have like 6 places to visit but the real world is rarely that simple. Even 25 cities is insane. That's a bit over 3.1 x 10^23 routes to calculate. Now if you pick a starting point and an ending point you can use various pathfinding algorithms to find the best path between them but that won't necessarily get you the best path overall.

Note that 10^23 is in the sextillions. Finding the best way to visit 25 cities has that many possible paths. Every salesperson ever would love to have this kind of program handy but it just isn't happening any time soon. Unfortunately it isn't easy for somebody that doesn't have a math or cs background to readily see why it isn't solvable in any easy way. It also isn't always easy to explain it because you get people saying "but there's a way, right? What if you..." no. Just no. Anybody that solved it would go down in history it's that big a deal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A Moose posted:

I suppose its time to read that thread again

Just don't forget to call the police.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tony Snark posted:

All so an old rear end 4chan prank.

From the sounds of things it goes way beyond a prank.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I just use whatever random tree is growing nearby.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Untrustable posted:

Dude is gender neutral. I don't even engage in gender politics and I know that. If you said you'd hosed a dude I'd just ask "which dude?". Now if you said you'd hosed a guy, that would be more cut and dry.

Edit: The last sentence rhymes and that is hilarious.

That depends on where you go I think; here "dude" is always a guy.

Actually I shouldn't say that because "guy" is pretty gender neutral here.

...WHY ARE WORDS SO COMPLICATED?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It doesn't matter what it is, if a famous person commits suicide with it, I guarantee there's somebody out there ghoulish enough to spend several thousand dollars on it.

If murderabilia is a thing then I guarantee that is too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Vote Shrieking Skeleton for president 2020

Nah, gotta go with White Hot Sphere of Pure Rage.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Naked and sits on cakes? That author is Ray Smuckles and nobody can convince me otherwise.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dabir posted:

I can't get my head around that. How can most nonces be trek fans and the proportion of trek fans who are nonces not be greater than the proportion of non trek fans who nonce?

Millions and millions and millions of people enjoy star trek. Few people are pedos. If star trek made people attracted to children there'd be a lot more of them. The difference between trek fans and the overall population is probably slightly higher because of that but just that; slightly. It's probably so small that it's statistically insignificant.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Assturd sword.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's surprisingly high, I wonder what the difference is.

Actually investigating it, probably. People keep finding thousands of untested rape kits in America that go back to the 90's. They just kind of got stuck on a shelf and forgotten about.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CannonFodder posted:

Bob Saget has a clean persona as host of AFHV and starring in Full House, but among fellow comedians he's considered one of the raunchiest.

The best thing is when somebody who only knows him for that stuff watches one of his bits for the first time.

That or "I used to suck dick for coke. That's addiction, man."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I know we call it poo poo posting but this has really gotten out of hand.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cacafuego posted:

The gently caress is a koan

Those orange things they put in places they don't want you to drive.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the zipline was still the most scary. Wouldn't it have propelled children into a a dead stop at 60mph at the end or something?

Yeah the speed it would have thrown somebody down it was "would kill you 100% of the time when you hit the end." He didn't do any math and just built the thing because lol I'm going to make the biggest and funnest zip line ever, man! Then some engineering goons did the math and were like "this is going to kill somebody. No joke, here are the numbers, and it isn't like one of those might hurt at the end but you'll be ok situations. This thing will literally kill people."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
i think one of the reasons people are more tolerant of lack of capitals or punctuation is because of texting and stuff like discord
if you just put every sentence on a new line it works fine
putting caps in on some devices could be kind of a pain so people just didn't
it became a habit and kind of stuck
plus "enter" often made a new line so the written english language is actually shifting in pretty interesting ways
see this reads just fine

that being said it still drives me insane when people use u instead of you
don't do that it makes you look stupid

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Labia? Who's Bia?

... :v:

i'll see myself out

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LACTOSE INTOLERANT YOU ABLEIST PIECE OF poo poo

Well yeah why do you think we invented things like soy ice cream?

ICE CREAM FOR EVERYBODY YAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Son of Rodney posted:

This is easily one of top 3 lovely derails I have ever witnessed. Goons have done it again.

Glad to be of service, friend.