Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
DJ was still extremely good when he fought cruz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

david carmichael posted:

He still worked at a warehouse, though.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

attackmole posted:

fighter's get really offended at analysis in weird ways that other sports don't seem to and it's always kind of embarassing

The amount of fighters that are vaguely self-critical (or at least show any capacity for it beyond closed door situations) is laughably small. I mean, I know all athletes have to be confident and you have to extra confident when your livelihood is based around getting punched in the face, but the culmination of this is twitter tantrums and Schaub thinking he's competitive with Velasquez.

Maybe because it's an individual sport it's taken as a personal insult? Chael admitted to going to a sport psychologist because he kept 'letting' himself get triangled in the 2nd round. You need to be confident, but you also need to be self-critical and accept that you have weaknesses.

I like Cruz, but he's been on the shelf for the better part of 4 years and his 'I am better than everyone in this weight class' shtick based on crushing one guy in a tune-up fight is getting old.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

david carmichael posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to bag on him or anything, it's just that the difference between then and now is night and day.

TJ and Cruz will be an extremely good fight.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Is it night and day? When he fought Cruz he got wrestled by a bigger fighter. Not sure that wouldn't happen again

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

attackmole posted:

fighters get really offended at analysis in weird ways that other sports don't seem to and it's always kind of embarassing

The amount of fighters that are vaguely self-critical (or at least show any capacity for it beyond closed door situations) is laughably small. I mean, I know all athletes have to be confident and you have to extra confident when your livelihood is based around getting punched in the face, but the culmination of this is twitter tantrums and Schaub thinking he's competitive with Velasquez.

We watch a sport where whose greatest example of self-critique and improvement centered around a man throwing a brick in a river. It's the best.

I don't think MMA has distanced itself enough from its insane prizefighting no-one-will-make-money-so-you're-in-this-to-hit-people roots to really have that many sane people yet.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

LobsterMobster posted:

He still worked at a warehouse, though.

Works for Neil Seery.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

red19fire posted:

Maybe because it's an individual sport it's taken as a personal insult? Chael admitted to going to a sport psychologist because he kept 'letting' himself get triangled in the 2nd round. You need to be confident, but you also need to be self-critical and accept that you have weaknesses.

I guess it was part of Chael's schtick, but Chael's one of the few fighters who's admitted that they have a chance to lose of fight. I remember it being one of his talking points before the Jones fight. "I don't know what's going to happen, I'm just gonna get in there and fight him." Or something like that. I mean it was promo speak, but it's vaguely honest. All you can do is train your best and hope to swing the odds in your favour. Unless you're Rousey no fight is a lock.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

vainman posted:

Is it night and day? When he fought Cruz he got wrestled by a bigger fighter. Not sure that wouldn't happen again
Yeah. DJ is better than he was four years ago, certainly. But it isn't a leaps and bounds thing, imo

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

attackmole posted:

I guess it was part of Chael's schtick, but Chael's one of the few fighters who's admitted that they have a chance to lose of fight. I remember it being one of his talking points before the Jones fight. "I don't know what's going to happen, I'm just gonna get in there and fight him." Or something like that. I mean it was promo speak, but it's vaguely honest. All you can do is train your best and hope to swing the odds in your favour. Unless you're Rousey no fight is a lock.
Poignant reminder that if Chael held out just two more minutes he would've beaten Jones and been LHW Champ

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Poignant reminder that if Chael held out just two more minutes he would've beaten Jones and been LHW Champ

That was less a matter of Chael "holding out" so much as the ref deciding to allow Chael to be beaten mercilessly for 30 seconds too long.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheRationalRedditor posted:

If he had held out for 30 seconds he could have been the MW champ.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

If he had held out for 30 seconds he could have been the MW champ.

Chael Sonnen: 3 minutes from being the next Couture/Penn. Let that sink in people.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

attackmole posted:

fighters get really offended at analysis in weird ways that other sports don't seem to and it's always kind of embarassing

because other sports have meaningful stats that can be used to support an analysis. If a guy doesn't get enough rebounds or not enough completed passes or whatever you can point to those numbers and say he sucks. And every team competes against every other team during the regular season so it's easier to compare performances among athletes. In MMA stats are mostly meaningless and strength of schedule can be totally different. So all you have to go off of is which guy's style do you like more, and when that fails, which guy's personality do you like more.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

because other sports have meaningful stats that can be used to support an analysis. If a guy doesn't get enough rebounds or not enough completed passes or whatever you can point to those numbers and say he sucks. And every team competes against every other team during the regular season so it's easier to compare performances among athletes. In MMA stats are mostly meaningless and strength of schedule can be totally different. So all you have to go off of is which guy's style do you like more, and when that fails, which guy's personality do you like more.

You can perform analysis and make predictions without statistical data. There are many kinds of analysis, not just statistical analysis.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

david carmichael posted:

You can perform analysis and make predictions without statistical data. There are many kinds of analysis, not just statistical analysis.

Oh yeah of course, I just meant why it's easier for fighters to brush off analysis and get defensive more than athletes in other sports. When athletes from other sports are criticized it's usually because their numbers are bad and they can't hide from them.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Barao and TJ absolutely are better than anyone Cruz has faced, considering DJ didn't grow into one of the best fighters to ever compete in the sport until he dropped down a weight-class to fight at his natural class. It's weird as all hell to get mad about that.

You share the same opinion as Jack Slack so that is why it seems clear cut to you as well. I think it's a lot tighter at the top there with Barao/TJ/Cruz/Faber and the TJ vs Barao fights really skew that perception of competitiveness (Barao's early stoppage win against Urijah doesn't help either). TJ seems to have Barao's number, but that doesn't mean he can walk through Faber or Cruz.

Both Cruz and Faber threaten with mixes of striking and wrestling, have great cardio/chins, and are very opportunistic. Faber is generally more forward pressing to create scrambles and Cruz prefers to move laterally and counter mercilessly. Both guys are very different from Barao whom has taken a lot of damage and his weight cut is likely only getting tougher as he ages. I find it weird to knock Cruz for "not beating anyone better than TJ" when TJ hasn't beaten anyone but Barao yet. Cruz has beaten everybody in the time he's been active.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Remember when someone was like Zuhh why would someone say Tarveryan is a scumbag piece of poo poo, Where's the Evidence? and i was like, hes Armenian, and some people thought that was just a joke lol

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

99% of MMA analysis is looking at sherdog fight finder and seeing if Fighter A's last fight was a win or a loss and what year it was

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Tarvedyan like 2 months ago recorded on video: I bet 500k that Ronda would win in the first round, Im rich ftw and i love to buy my friends gold chains

Tarvedyan now: uhh I have never made money, I dont know what money is, I dont own a gym and I forgot about taxes or declaring my income for my entire life. my wife makes $100 a year

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Also I do not think Renan Barao is better than Urijah Faber at his prime when Cruz was fighting him. I also would say Joseph Benavidez might be better Renan Barao.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

manyak posted:

Tarvedyan like 2 months ago recorded on video: I bet 500k that Ronda would win in the first round, Im rich ftw and i love to buy my friends gold chains

Tarvedyan now: uhh I have never made money, I dont know what money is, I dont own a gym and I forgot about taxes or declaring my income for my entire life. my wife makes $100 a year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_44lOzgNMm8&feature=youtu.be&t=6m25s

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kurohashi posted:

Both Cruz and Faber threaten with mixes of striking and wrestling

Actually I think one of the biggest knocks against Faber is that he DOESN'T do this. He threatens with striking or he shifts gears and threatens with wrestling, and he's pretty threatening with either, but he never really mixes it up and certainly never with the facility that Cruz does.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

Lmfao

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Is lying on your bankruptcy forms not a criminal offence in the US? Thats got to be some sort of fraud.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Le Saboteur posted:

Is lying on your bankruptcy forms not a criminal offence in the US? Thats got to be some sort of fraud.

Section 7201 of the Internal Revenue Code: “Any person who willfully attempts in any manner to evade or defeat any tax imposed by this title or the payment thereof shall, in addition to other penalties provided by law, be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $100,000 ($500,000 in the case of a corporation), or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.”

Yes he can absolutely be jailed for it. However, despite the fact that even the most conservative estimates show that the IRS gets $2 back for every $1 put into it by the government (the range last I looked is $2-8 per with everyone conceding that the IRS absolutely deserves a bigger budget), the IRS had it's budget slashed again this year. They simply don't have the enforcement capability to absolutely slam every fraudster that pops up. He'll have to pay some massive fines for sure if he's been deliberately and criminally hiding income, but he won't necessarily see any jailtime. The IRS will likely settle for the amount they calculate as owed plus whatever penalty they tack on.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

fatherdog posted:

Actually I think one of the biggest knocks against Faber is that he DOESN'T do this. He threatens with striking or he shifts gears and threatens with wrestling, and he's pretty threatening with either, but he never really mixes it up and certainly never with the facility that Cruz does.

He doesn't mix it up as well as Cruz does, that's pretty clear. His striking, while occasionally effective, isn't exactly threatening. His last TKO was in '06, and while he has hurt people once in a while (honestly, I can't even recall the last person he hurt with strikes), his bread and butter has always been scrambles and submissions.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Remember how like a week ago Ronda's mum said this guy was a loser who lucked out by Ronda walking into his gym and being too stubborn to leave when he proceeded to completely ignore her.

Remember how some people said this was just sourness on Ronda's mum.

Remember Atom?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Maybe Rhonda's mom is also piece of poo poo who's complaint was not that he was about to go bankrupt, iirc.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

He doesn't mix it up as well as Cruz does, that's pretty clear. His striking, while occasionally effective, isn't exactly threatening. His last TKO was in '06, and while he has hurt people once in a while (honestly, I can't even recall the last person he hurt with strikes), his bread and butter has always been scrambles and submissions.

He hurt McDonald on the feet before subbing him.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If her mom hates him so much why doesn't she just marry him

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Maybe Rhonda's mom is also piece of poo poo who's complaint was not that he was about to go bankrupt, iirc.

She was right though

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Cruz is a loving wonder to watch. You can see the hypnosis set in for his opponents, as they have no idea whether that twitch is going to turn into a punch, leg-kick, double leg, or absolutely nothing.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
does anyone have that bundt cake post that was a riff on the "you can't fight here! this is the war room!" except about mma

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I love Takeya so I believe in Cruz by default.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Nice! posted:

Section 7201 of the Internal Revenue Code: “Any person who willfully attempts in any manner to evade or defeat any tax imposed by this title or the payment thereof shall, in addition to other penalties provided by law, be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $100,000 ($500,000 in the case of a corporation), or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.”

Yes he can absolutely be jailed for it. However, despite the fact that even the most conservative estimates show that the IRS gets $2 back for every $1 put into it by the government (the range last I looked is $2-8 per with everyone conceding that the IRS absolutely deserves a bigger budget), the IRS had it's budget slashed again this year. They simply don't have the enforcement capability to absolutely slam every fraudster that pops up. He'll have to pay some massive fines for sure if he's been deliberately and criminally hiding income, but he won't necessarily see any jailtime. The IRS will likely settle for the amount they calculate as owed plus whatever penalty they tack on.

Lying to the IRS (which he also could be guilty of) is different from lying on your bankruptcy filing. Unless you are under oath, I'm not sure that it would be a criminal offense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Northjayhawk posted:

Lying to the IRS (which he also could be guilty of) is different from lying on your bankruptcy filing. Unless you are under oath, I'm not sure that it would be a criminal offense.

Yeah I misread that as lying on your taxes.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Hmm yes, now that he's declared bankruptcy I understand why ronda 's mom want to murder him. Totally reasonable.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I like meisha tate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

I like meisha tate

I do too but I do think her stock drops dramatically if she leaves UFC so I'm not sure what her endgame is right now. Asking to get paid as much as Ronda is absurd and Jon Fitch complained about UFC politics/fighter unions too and it ended with him getting knocked out by Johny Hendricks in 7 seconds then getting his leg taken by Rousimar Palhares in front of 100k viewers. Miesha's career will take the same turn.

Miesha probably should have taken the Nunes fight, and if not, just keep calling out Cyborg every day until UFC makes that fight.

• Locked thread