Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
Why can no-one in this thread get their fellow posters' name right? :(

dangersim becomes dangerism and now willie is willy fathergod you should do something about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
literally no one can spell

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Dr. Abysmal posted:

They announced that Magny is indeed replacing Brown against Gastelum.

This is pretty cool and good luck to Magny for stepping up.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
That's a good and cool fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm still wrapping my head around the fact that magny has beaten erik silva. this fight is stylistically intriguing and still extremely relevant. much love for saving that card mr. magny

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Can't tell if this is a step up for Magny, a step down for Magny, or the same for Gastellum. Tthat means it's a decently booked and even fight, which is great.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

lolling at this, then the cascading list of all the champions that would be terrible on a talkshow. how many trashcans has weidman poo poo in and would it be enough to base a personality around?

the late night guys can get through an interview with a fighter, cuz they just make dont beat me up jokes for five minutes, but floyd mayweather is more famous than any mma fighter right now so they do it with him once a year or whatever. they did it with chuck and rampage for awhile when UFC had fans

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Lid posted:

Can't tell if this is a step up for Magny, a step down for Magny, or the same for Gastellum. Tthat means it's a decently booked and even fight, which is great.

I'd still give Gastelum a decent edge. I don't even think a botched weight cut would hurt his chances that much.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Street Horrrsing posted:

This is dozens of pages back, but this is rich coming from a weedy stalker of a C league fighter who went pro to settle his coke debts.

Marching Powder posted:

There's no position to defend, he's 100%,objectively right and you're being an unnecessarily antagonistic dickhead who can, and I repeat gently caress off with that poo poo

And on top of that, who are you Street Horrrsing? I don't recall ever seeing you post before.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

canoshiz posted:

I'd still give Gastelum a decent edge. I don't even think a botched weight cut would hurt his chances that much.

any edge gastellum may have disappears when magny is a late replacement. he's an extremely awkward guy to fight and the difference between fighting him and fighting matt brown is extreme (stylistically)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Marching Powder posted:

There's no position to defend, he's 100%,objectively right and you're being an unnecessarily antagonistic dickhead who can, and I repeat gently caress off with that poo poo

Marching Powder I was just kidding that one time I pretended your posts didn't matter but I still feel bad for it, so thank you for being extremely right

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I'd be so loving happy to not have to fight Matt Brown

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

vainman posted:

I'd be so loving happy to not have to fight Matt Brown

If Erick Silva remembered that fight, he'd be happy to avoid a rematch.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
https://instagram.com/p/9oQQa1G7XO/

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Imagine you aren't Michael Bisping, but still waking up to see Hendo flying at you, ready to land the most unnecessary follow-up punch of all time. That's what should have killed this guy

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Dr. Abysmal posted:

They announced that Magny is indeed replacing Brown against Gastelum.

Zuffa's Choice

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Man that is like the worst hotel room you could pass out in in Vegas.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Neil Magny's head looks so much like the head of the quirky comic relief store owner of some sitcom that it actually makes me forget that he very much has a fighter's body underneath it. My memory of Magny is this accountant/librarian/pencil salesman, thanks to his head.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

promote weidman by filming a series of commercials where vitor belfort gets mounted and has the poo poo beaten outof him in a variety of every day situations, causing him to briefly shut the gently caress up. pay me zuffa.
:thumbsup:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

lolling at this, then the cascading list of all the champions that would be terrible on a talkshow. how many trashcans has weidman poo poo in and would it be enough to base a personality around?

Weidman comes across as plenty likeable in interviews just being Diet Matt Serra, he'd probably do fine on talk shows. Honestly every champion above 170 comes across as very personable when doing media and the UFC should probably be trying to get them on more mainstream shows, although Werdum probably would do better on the spanish language ones.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Being a bonified star doesn't correlate precisely with being presentable, both Ronda and McGregor are more outspoken and to an extent controversial which is what makes true stars. WWE has suffered from over a decade now of making "presentable" into stars and missing that Stone Cold and The Rock worked because they were gutsy outspoken people. Ali was the same.

Apart from Ronda and McGregor other UFC fighters who could be stars like them are guys like Donald Cerrone or Matt Brown rather than Weidman or Mighty Mouse.

Edit: not to mention the few times WWE has stumbled into a star they do everything to them them as they're not presentable, with the exception of Brock.

Lid fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 4, 2015

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Snowman_McK posted:

Neil Magny's head looks so much like the head of the quirky comic relief store owner of some sitcom that it actually makes me forget that he very much has a fighter's body underneath it. My memory of Magny is this accountant/librarian/pencil salesman, thanks to his head.

Magny's gonna get clipped and Gastelum will end up a fight away from a title shot. :toxx: bet me. i loving dare anyone.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Weidman becomes a mainstream media darling until somebody dredges up an embarrassing detail from his past that ruins him - he paid too much money for a dog.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lid posted:

Being a bonified star doesn't correlate precisely with being presentable, both Ronda and McGregor are more outspoken and to an extent controversial which is what makes true stars. WWE has suffered from over a decade now of making "presentable" into stars and missing that Stone Cold and The Rock worked because they were gutsy outspoken people. Ali was the same.

Apart from Ronda and McGregor other UFC fighters who could be stars like them are guys like Donald Cerrone or Matt Brown rather than Weidman or Mighty Mouse.

Edit: not to mention the few times WWE has stumbled into a star they do everything to them them as they're not presentable, with the exception of Brock.

people with ultra bland personalities become giant stars all the time in sports. in fact being bland is pretty much one of the best things you can do if you want to make shitloads of money

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Isn't Weidman a truther? Though Ronda came out of the Sandy Hook false flag unscathed.

mewse
May 2, 2006

coconono posted:

Magny's gonna get clipped and Gastelum will end up a fight away from a title shot. :toxx: bet me. i loving dare anyone.

I always wager on the dark lord. 1 week probation?

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
I'm not sure if it would be the greatest idea to put Cerrone on mainstream TV. Going off his past podcast appearances, that man's got no filter whatsoever.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lid posted:

Isn't Weidman a truther? Though Ronda came out of the Sandy Hook false flag unscathed.

She wasnt really big then, more of a novelty

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
No filter is such a nice way of saying loud and dumb

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bundt Cake posted:

people with ultra bland personalities become giant stars all the time in sports. in fact being bland is pretty much one of the best things you can do if you want to make shitloads of money

In fight sports this isn't the case. The closest we ever had was GSP and he didn't cross over purely as a fighter the same way Ronda or McGregor have.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Neeber posted:

I'm not sure if it would be the greatest idea to put Cerrone on mainstream TV. Going off his past podcast appearances, that man's got no filter whatsoever.

Oh I'd pay to see that poo poo.

Although I wish mma had its very own Chris Jericho.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lid posted:

In fight sports this isn't the case. The closest we ever had was GSP and he didn't cross over purely as a fighter the same way Ronda or McGregor have.

Youre wrong. Especially about the example you chose

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Oh I'd pay to see that poo poo.

Although I wish mma had its very own Chris Jericho.

Same ^ 2

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bundt Cake posted:

Youre wrong. Especially about the example you chose

We can agree to disagree but being bland/milquetoast without charisma hasn't gotten the UFC fighters with the most talent the most fans. Chael's another.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
McGregor being a bigger star than GSP is one of the most baffling claims youve ever made Lid

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lid posted:

We can agree to disagree but being bland/milquetoast without charisma hasn't gotten the UFC fighters with the most talent the most fans. Chael's another.

Chuck Liddell + GSP were completely guarded in every interview ever and they did late night shows and movies and everything anyone could do. And what about Couture, the guy whitewashed his personality completely.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Magazine covers, check, late night shows, check, movies, check, episodic tv, check, made millions for themselves and the ufc, check

how can you be "bigger' than that?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
charisma isnt all acting like a dick at opportune moments

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bundt Cake posted:

Chuck Liddell + GSP were completely guarded in every interview ever and they did late night shows and movies and everything anyone could do. And what about Couture, the guy whitewashed his personality completely.

Has that been enough anymore? UFC was still very much a novelty and being the best was enough to be the guy. Now you can be the best and have no one give a gently caress about you beyond fighting. Lets use Weidman and Jones as examples (even lets use Jones after defeating Shogun before all his baggage was known) and work out why are they not getting the same mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bundt Cake posted:

charisma isnt all acting like a dick at opportune moments

This we can agree on.

• Locked thread