Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«77 »
Lawnie
Sep 5, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit

My enameled Dutch oven is from Aldi. I have a pretty hard time justifying spending a ton on cast iron products, personally, but even at $30, itís a decent piece of cookware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Grimey Drawer

Go to Homegoods, TJMAXX, Marshalls, Ross. They often have enameled cast iron in the $50-100 range

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just cook my shakshuka in a stainless steel saute pan.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Recipe I use calls for tossing it in the oven. Can the stainless pan go in the oven or do you not put it in the oven?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Recipe I use calls for tossing it in the oven. Can the stainless pan go in the oven or do you not put it in the oven?

Stainless is oven safe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Grimey Drawer

... if it doesn't have plastic handles

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks, I'll check for a suitable stainless pan at TJ Maxx

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

I would still recommend a non-stick pan or an enameled cast iron pan for Shakshuka. I think it should be possible to find a nonstick pan suitable for the oven, at least up to 350 or so.

Booyah-
Dec 21, 2004

That's my favorite thing about the calphalon contemporary non stick pans that I was recommended here:

http://www.calphalon.com/en-US/calp...t-ca-1876838--1

Oven safe up to 450.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

extravadanza posted:

I would still recommend a non-stick pan or an enameled cast iron pan for Shakshuka.
Why?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

I'd imagine the stuff you're browning would stick to stainless steel.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

Hold the line, I have shitposting to do.

I use all-clad for Shakshuka. I mean sure, stainless steel would be fine too, it's basically the same thing for reactive foods but I always recommend all-clad. Gotta love a pan that'll last a lifetime.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

You can make shakshuka pretty easily by dumping some prego, cheddar, and eggs in a glass bowl and microwaving it for five minutes so not sure why you all are messing around with cast iron.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

My cast iron is pretty well seasoned (or, I thought it was...) and it still made my shakshuka taste metallic.

I just use stainless for it now.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Seriously, there's no reason not to use stainless for shakshuka. It's made for poo poo like that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

What do yall use for holding your knives? Are those universal knife blocks where you just stick your knives in a mass of foam (?) worth it?

I used the Koosh block for a few years. It's fine? Eventually the little strands break apart and come out and etc...

Doom Rooster posted:

Wall-mounted magnetic strips all the way.

This is what I did after the Koosh block fell apart. It's much better. The knives are now out of the way freeing up much more counter space while being ready to hand. I would never go back.

I mounted the magnetic strips to the tiles in my kitchen wall with liquid nails. Took 30 minutes to get them nice and level, walk away and let it set and it was done.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Instant Pot question. If I am making a dish that takes pasta noodles, and it calls for 2 cups of liquid... for 10 oz of pasta, should I assume it's going to absorb it all?

Reason being, I am going to do 12 oz of pasta, and wondering if I need to add exactly 1/5th more liquid, too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Grimey Drawer

I got a Bodum French press. I noticed that the screen wrinkles a little on one side, which might leak some grounds up. Is this normal among Bodums?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005
I plan to live forever.... So far so good!

Steve Yun posted:

I got a Bodum French press. I noticed that the screen wrinkles a little on one side, which might leak some grounds up. Is this normal among Bodums?

Mine does the same thing.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Sometimes you get a few grounds in the coffee. Isn't really bad imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

It's a horrible name for anything really but especially a shirt.

extravadanza posted:

Stainless is oven safe.

Steve Yun posted:

... if it doesn't have plastic handles

The Farberware I bought as Babby's First Pot Set back in 1993 has oven-safe plastic handles (to 425). Not sure if they make 'em that way still.

Also, holy poo poo my Farberware is 25 years old?! Plus I have one I got from my mom, lord knows how old that one is. What I'm getting at is, if you want no frills stainless on the cheap, I heartily endorse them. Maybe once a year I have to tighten the screw that holds the handle on, but that's it. Though again, could be like Pyrex, Converse, and my favorite style of boots, where They Don't Make Them Like They Used To.

«77 »