Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
I don't have a specific recommendation, but Ikea probably makes something that will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Any reccomendations for nonstick pans? Ours recently expired

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
I'm considering getting a meat grinder. Likely to get a kitchenaid attachment, although if someone recommends a manual or standalone I'd give it a shot. I'm considering this:

https://www.amazon.com/HOZODO-Attac...8-1-spons&psc=1

The linked one is metal, whereas the official kitchenaid one is plastic and had reviews saying that the blade is made of stamped steel and isn't sharp enough. This has high amazon reviews, but those could be paid for. Anyone here have an opinion about this one or can recommend a different model?

Thanks.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
My wife recommends masontops, https://www.masontops.com/

The results have been great!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Clark Nova posted:

I like silicone oven mitts a lot better than cloth because you won't get scalded if you somehow manage to get them wet while you're holding a hot pan

I don't like them as much as cloth because the silicone eventually dissolves or tears, but maybe I've just had bad luck getting lovely ones

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Steve Yun posted:

OK, I used my mom‘s Benriner mandoline and now I see why so many home cooks, even experienced ones, cut themselves on this thing. The guard rail is so shallow! I’ve been using a Bron for seven or eight years and never nicked myself even once and was even proud of myself for being such a safety expert when really it was probably the fact that the Bron has a deep guard rail

I got myself with a mandoline last night, GDI. I was making potato chips and I cut a chunk of my thumb off on the second to last potato. I had been switching to use the plastic guard when they got small, but I apparently cut it too close (haha) on this one. All bandaged up and regrowing. I think I'll buy some cut proof gloves, because the mandoline is a useful tool but all it takes is a split second of inattention.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
This cuisinart 7 quart is cheaper and has performed great for me. stovetop, deep frying, braises etc. it's been great

Cuisinart CI670-30CR Chef's Classic Enameled Cast Iron 7-Quart Round Covered Casserole, Cardinal Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017HRLFC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_S5zGEb7VGKY55

but it is not a staub or le creuset, if that's important

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 30, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

El Jebus posted:

What's the go-to mandolins that's less than $100? OXO? Swissmar? I like the look of the white Swissmar on Amazon, I feel blood will show up really well on the white plastic..., But the OXO looks more quality with more metal.

get cut proof gloves. its a bad time to go to the ER to have them sew the end of your finger on!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

fart simpson posted:

i just microplaned my knuckles and immediately ground lemon oil into the wounds

:bravo:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
compared to using two pots to cook two liquids?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

wormil posted:

flared with a small bottom

:haw:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Bagheera posted:

*We moved house last year and left our induction stove behind. The new house has a plain old glass top electric stove. I hate it and will probably spend my stimulus check on replacing it.

glass top electrics are the worst, godspeed

Sextro posted:

Anyone have any info on induction burners. I already have a decent gas stovetop, with power burners/quick boil etc. But they throw out a ton more heat into the room than an induction would and summer is coming. What's the absolute best induction burner out there? Is there any reason to spend the $$$ for a polyscience? Is there better than that available?

I'll probably swing back around to ask about countertop ovens later too.

I'm curious about this too. The biggest burner on my gas stove is 19000 btu, is an induction hotplate a worthwhile gadget? Also hadn't thought about the waste heat.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Don't buy anything off amazon if it really matters if it is counterfeit or expired/pulled out of the trash. They accept counterfeit goods and mix them with legit products with the same upc numbers. In some cases, even amazon couldn't tell you if goods are legitimate or not. I got counterfeit window sealing silicone tape, people will counterfeit everything on there. I still buy stuff, but I wouldn't buy e.g. safety equipment, electrical outlets, etc

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

meatsink

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

oh rly posted:

San Jamar has oven mitts and cutting boards on clearance.

https://www.sanjamar.com/

$4 for 18x24 original cutting boards and $9 for 15x20 T-Grip.

I bought several to use as gifts.

Thanks for the link! maybe just quarantine shopping for entertainment, but i got a couple of mitts and cutting boards

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Subjunctive posted:

I will say that until this post I didn’t consider melting butter to be task that benefited from nonstick pans.

I thought the same thing, haha. I was gonna say just get stainless but I didn't want to recommend something they weren't looking for.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Man I'm thinking of getting a Dutch oven but half the reviews on the Lodge on Amazon are about them being awful and the enamel cracking instantly and peeling off. I wonder if they changed their process

cooks illustrated reviewed dutch ovens, i think someone posted it upthread. Get the cuisinart enameled dutch oven. Le creuset is best but costs 390, cuisinart is rated a close second and is like 75. I have the cuisinart, it works well.

I also have a lodge cast iron non-enamel dutch oven which is fine, but it isn't enameled.

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 20, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just a fyi about the San Jamar deals someone posted a little while ago. They called me today to tell me they'd discontinued the cutting boards I ordered completely and were oos so they are refunding my order :(

yeah me too. I'm only getting 1 cutting board and no oven mitts :(

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Hey kitchen equipment thread,

A while back I upgraded from an electric oven to a gas oven/stove. It's kickass for most purposes, but: the oven doesn't have a setting below 275. Not a problem for most things, but I can't do a low and slow braise in it. Some of the best braises I ever did were 6-8 hours at 200. I'm thinking I should just get a really big crock pot for when I do want to braise. I already have a small crock pot, so my tentative plan is to ditch it in favor of the new big one. So my questions are

1. Is a crock pot the correct solution here? Or is there some other piece of equipment entirely? I'm looking for something that can handle (at times) large cuts of meat, e.g. up to 12 lbs plus soffrito plus liquid. I'm not going to buy another full size oven for this, but I'll entertain possibilities.

2. Does a crock pot do the same thing as an oven braise, or is there some real difference in how the food turns out?

3. Is there a crock pot with precise temp control? I've only seen low/high/keep warm

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 26, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Thanks for the responses to braising chat, everyone. I'm probably gonna get a mormon family size crockpot for the long braises, I'll post if I find one with special temp settings.

New question: I already own and enjoy an electric pressure cooker. What does a stovetop pressure cooker do that an electric doesn't? What does it do better?

I did a bit of research and it sounds like making stock (i do this in a stock pot just fine) and pressure frying (sounds terrifying!) are a couple of the things that are possible in a stovetop pressure cooker. What else?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
wow, thanks for dropping knowledge in here! :worship:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Anne Whateley posted:

That's a pressure cooker, not a pressure fryer, right? I don't think anyone sells pressure fryers for home use anymore.

A friend's husband is into them, and apparently the thing to do is buy a 1970s as-seen-on-TV model from ebay. What could go wrong

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Shroomie posted:

I've got a Chefman. Only thing I don't like about it is the increments on the side go 0.6L, 0.9L, 1.2L, 1.5L, 1.7L and it drives me crazy that they aren't like 500ml, 750ml, etc.

I ordered one of those Lodge griddles to throw on my Traeger for searing steaks and stuff and Amazon sent me a 17" cast iron skillet. Probably just gonna keep it because it seems like it might be more useful.

Also, my girlfriend bought me a Searzall for my birthday and that thing is terrifying.

a 17"? Jesus. I have a 15" and it's huge. 17 seems like you'd want one of those outdoor standalone propane burners for it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Putty posted:

Looking for recommendations on some equipment:

- I like to make jerky and I was thinking maybe a meat grinder too to make my own ground beef to load into my jerky gun. Is this even worth it compared to buying ground in the store (which I've done previously)? Also maybe a slicer for cutting up eye round for traditional jerky.

I have a manual grinder I got for $12 at a redneck "antique" store. It was a fun project cleaning up the various extruders and it grinds nicely. It wasn't covered in old meat, there was just some corrosion. Idk if antiqie or thrift stores are even open in plague times, but based on my experience I'd recommend a cheap old manual grinder as the first step in seeing if grinding meat yourself is worth it. Of course, kitchenaid attachments work and I think can get down to around $40, $80 for a metal one IIRC

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Resting Lich Face posted:

It's back-ordered :negative:

that sucks!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
I had a double oven and I only used the second oven when the first oven broke. Also, smaller than standard ovens are a pain. I say it's only "worth it" if you often find yourself in the kitchen using your single oven and wishing you had a second one. You'll get very little utility from it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
No posts for a week? Not even a pointless slapfight argument? Come on people, liven up.

I'm thinking about getting a deli slicer. I want one as cheap as possible, but that will actually work for years. Any recommendations?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

VelociBacon posted:

Not trying to start a pointless slapfight argument but have you ever had to use and then clean one of those because the latter has made me never want anything like it at home. I could see using a larger mandolin instead just so I don't have to get in there and clean the poo poo out of it.

I haven't! I just can't stand to spend a minimum of $10/lb for sandwich meat. But that's good to know, I'm not dead set on getting one

:rolleyes: I don't need a slicer that I can put through the dishwasher

halokiller posted:

And if you still want a deli slicer that lasts for years, check your Craigslist for a used Hobart or any other commercial-grade brands which you might get lucky and get one for cheap from all the restaurant closures.

I checked. Didn't see any under $550, also they are gargantuan

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I had plastic-y deli slicer of some reputable brand...Kitchenaid, maybe? I didn't like the way it flexed when I was slicing, though it sliced well enough. It had a momentary switch to operate it that kept one hand out of the way, so actually using it seemed safe enough. But cleaning it was another story, and while I never cut myself on it, it was always a process filled with great anxiety. Little bits of meat would get everywhere behind the blade, and removing the blade to get to it was a task fraught with peril. There are occasions where I wish I had one still, but those are rare and easily overcome.

Sounds like it may not be worth it. I'll keep looking around

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Murgos posted:

Hey, you asked for the slap fight.

haha, seeing if anyone bites on the old "knives go through the dishwasher" troll

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
magnetic knife strip to hang the knives on the wall
Food processor
Pressure cooker
Large, like 15"+ cast iron skillet
More spatulas
All clad saute or fry pan
6+qt enameled dutch oven

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
What's the carbon steel pan for? I have a 12" cast iron, an all clad stainless saute pan, and a carbon steel wok. Does the carbon steel pan do anything better/different that's not covered by those?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

night danger posted:

KD-8000 scale goons: this scale looks perfect but I really don't want to spend another $100.00 on a 5kg calibration weight. How likely am I to regret not ordering the weight and is there a cheaper alternative to a scientific weight?

There's a lot of cheap calibration weights on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...eights&_sacat=0

This set looks like it has a 5kg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohaus-10-P...mIAAOSw2xRYjMK2

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Stringent posted:

I finally broke down and got a used vitamix the other day. The hype is real.

As someone who still has a 10 year old $20 oster, what am I missing out on? It basically only gets brought out for smoothies, but we do a lot of cooking and mix by hand, with a hand mixer, a food processor, a stand mixer and an immersion blender

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

My oven apparently sucks and I have to bring it to 375~400 in order to hit a 300 internal temperature. What's the recommended oven thermometer for making drat sure that it's at the right temperature?

If you own the oven, then you might want to do some troubleshooting. It sounds like the temperature sensor is failing.

electric -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dGi5XPosPU

gas -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJOLFW2aw0

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Yond Cassius posted:

I believe Thanksgiving is October 12 where Subjunctive is, and they may have celebrated over the weekend.

the fuuuuck???

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

bamhand posted:

So we've got a very unusually sized fridge fitted into a hole in our cabinetry. Any ideas on what we could get for a replacement? It's around 82 inches tall, 27 inches deep, 35 inches wide. Only two things at Home Depot fit those dimensions and they were over 7 grand. I have a feeling we'll have to settle for something not as tall and have a gap between the top of the fridge and the cabinetry?

BEWARE
the stated dimensions of the fridge do not necessarily include the space that it needs for the doors to open. Depending on the hinge design, a fridge may need 2-4 or even 6" of extra clearance on the sides for the doors to open. If you're buying from a big box, bring a measuring tape and actually open the doors. If you're buying from an appliance store they'll probably be able to tell you how much clearance it needs

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

halokiller posted:

you have to awkwardly hold the bag up in order for it to suck

:haw:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Kestral posted:

Anyone here own an aebleskiver pan? Looking to pick one up as a late Christmas present for someone who's expressed interest in them, and I'm starting to suspect that all the useful reviews on these things are going to be on Danish sites I wouldn't even know to search for.

My friend recommends nordicware

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Flaggy posted:

Any recs on a magnetic knife holder wall mounted? Or are they worthless and I should keep using my cork drawer holder.

I got one from MOC Woodworks and I really like it.

https://www.mocwoodworks.com/

It's really expensive though, you'll probably be fine with a cheaper option. I went with it because the wood looked nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Delta-Wye posted:

if u dont grease ur burner, ur pan will stick

:hmmyes: