Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I ended up having to divide my brisket and other ingredients in two and put them in 2 separate gallon-size bags, but that recipe has pink curing salt in it, so I am praying like hell that this pastrami doesn’t kill anyone.

As long as you followed the brine recipe properly and didn't add more pink salt than indicated by the overall amount of water, you should be fine from splitting it as long as you actually got it split in two/was fully mixed when you split it up (as opposed to "oops a bunch of the salts hadn't dissolved yet and went into one bag but not the other.")

Oh no new page snipe with nothing interesting but an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

oh rly posted:

San Jamar has oven mitts and cutting boards on clearance.

https://www.sanjamar.com/

$4 for 18x24 original cutting boards and $9 for 15x20 T-Grip.

I bought several to use as gifts.

Thanks for the link! maybe just quarantine shopping for entertainment, but i got a couple of mitts and cutting boards

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

oh rly posted:

San Jamar has oven mitts and cutting boards on clearance.

https://www.sanjamar.com/

$4 for 18x24 original cutting boards and $9 for 15x20 T-Grip.

I bought several to use as gifts.

I’ll save everyone a few minutes and suggest just going up to $25 right away for the free shipping. Paid shipping started at about $30 for me otherwise.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Is there a preferred nonstick saucepan? Just need a 1.5qt or smaller cheap guy for melting butter, etc. Gas range, fyi.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lawnie posted:

I’ll save everyone a few minutes and suggest just going up to $25 right away for the free shipping. Paid shipping started at about $30 for me otherwise.

Shipping to Canada is slightly more expensive if anyone was hoping to pick something up. Anyone want to go halfers?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1redflag posted:

Is there a preferred nonstick saucepan? Just need a 1.5qt or smaller cheap guy for melting butter, etc. Gas range, fyi.

I will say that until this post I didn’t consider melting butter to be task that benefited from nonstick pans.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Subjunctive posted:

I will say that until this post I didn’t consider melting butter to be task that benefited from nonstick pans.

Maybe it’s just my mind, but it (and stuff like twice-refried black beans, Oaxaca cheese, and even rice) come out of the pot easier with Teflon

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Subjunctive posted:

I thought the same thing, haha. I was gonna say just get stainless but I didn't want to recommend something they weren't looking for.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Call me an amateur or a scrub or whatever but I use nonstick for everything. I don't even have a stainless pan.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We have stainless, carbon steel, bare cast iron and enameled cast iron.

Use the carbon steel the most and since we got rid of our worn out non-stick there's never been a time I wished we had non-stick

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I gotta say I love my dutch oven. I assume it's enameled steel or iron or something. But stuff doesn't stick too bad in it, but stainless, shiiiit man, loving nightmare.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man I'm thinking of getting a Dutch oven but half the reviews on the Lodge on Amazon are about them being awful and the enamel cracking instantly and peeling off. I wonder if they changed their process

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I have 2 dutch ovens. One is Lodge, the other is Martha Stewart. Both are great; the only complaint I have about the Lodge is it's a bit small but that's my problem.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 20, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Man I'm thinking of getting a Dutch oven but half the reviews on the Lodge on Amazon are about them being awful and the enamel cracking instantly and peeling off. I wonder if they changed their process

cooks illustrated reviewed dutch ovens, i think someone posted it upthread. Get the cuisinart enameled dutch oven. Le creuset is best but costs 390, cuisinart is rated a close second and is like 75. I have the cuisinart, it works well.

I also have a lodge cast iron non-enamel dutch oven which is fine, but it isn't enameled.

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 20, 2020

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

1redflag posted:

Maybe it’s just my mind, but it (and stuff like twice-refried black beans, Oaxaca cheese, and even rice) come out of the pot easier with Teflon
I've liked the T-fal line with heat indicator dots like this enough to re-buy them as they wear out a couple times now FWIW. People say you can fry anything on enameled cast iron or stainless with proper heating and oil but some things (eggs) still elude me, and just seems easier with less oil on the teflon pans.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I have Lodge enameled and plain cast iron dutch ovens. The only damage is through my wife's carelessness but the enamel hasn't chipped off by itself. Amazon reviews are unreliable. There are a lot of morons that mistreat products and then leave a bad review, or leave a review 10 seconds after they open the box, and that's on top of the fake reviews.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Alright, going to order one. Does anyone have that agptek apex pro clone in the OP? It looks good but I'm curious what angle it Sharpens at or if it's adjustable.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I have a lodge enamled dutch oven that I have put through hell over the last 7 or 8 years and it has held up just fine.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I keep almost pulling the trigger on one of those $99 4-qt Staubs. I'm probably better off just buying a regular stainless saucepan, though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My 9qt Amazon Basics dutch oven punches well above it's weight considering it was something like $85. Super even heat, enamel holding up perfectly, no complaints.

I think it has a temp limit of 425 or 400F which is probably less than the nicer ones but otherwise I don't feel like I'm missing out on not having spent 5x as much.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Alright, going to order one. Does anyone have that agptek apex pro clone in the OP? It looks good but I'm curious what angle it Sharpens at or if it's adjustable.

I do, the angles are adjustable and there are markers for common angles

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Shroomie posted:

I keep almost pulling the trigger on one of those $99 4-qt Staubs. I'm probably better off just buying a regular stainless saucepan, though.

go bigger, 5qt or bigger at a minimum.

i got about 9 years out of my martha stewart enameled DO and then i picked up a very lightly used LC on ebay, no ragrets

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shroomie posted:

I picked one of those up for smaller batches too.

VelociBacon posted:

My 9qt Amazon Basics dutch oven punches well above it's weight considering it was something like $85. Super even heat, enamel holding up perfectly, no complaints.

I think it has a temp limit of 425 or 400F which is probably less than the nicer ones but otherwise I don't feel like I'm missing out on not having spent 5x as much.

I don't think I've ever thought about there being a temperature limit for my Lodge dutch oven, but I throw it in 450+ all the time for breads without issue.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I will go for the lodge or Cuisinart. Just gonna flip a coin probably or find the cheaper one for the price

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

wormil posted:

I have Lodge enameled and plain cast iron dutch ovens. The only damage is through my wife's carelessness but the enamel hasn't chipped off by itself. Amazon reviews are unreliable. There are a lot of morons that mistreat products and then leave a bad review, or leave a review 10 seconds after they open the box, and that's on top of the fake reviews.

Or leave a 1 star review because the box was dented in shipping or came late, or came early or got wet, OR, and this is my favorite, review a completely different product.

I wanted to purchase a new shower head recently. The crazy is incredible in common products so much so that you have to wonder what the hell some people are smoking.

For example, the number one most helpful negative review (292 found it helpful) for the one I ended up purchasing:

quote:

This product is garbage. The hose for the wand does not have enough threads to get a good grip when attaching to the base unless you remove the rubber ring (which makes it leak). And since the whole thing is made of cheap plastic, it will pop off.
The design of the switch at the base dampens the water pressure and prevents good pressure when using both outlets at the same time. Also the main head leaks when using the wand only. There was no thought of water conservation built into the design, it just dumps water out of the nozzles which also ruins the water pressure.

This is nonsense. The whole thing is made of metal with a chrome finish as you can clearly see in the pictures or videos uploaded by users. The fittings are nice and high quality, the hose has plenty of threads to put it on nice and tight and comes with a good sized roll of teflon tape so you can get a good seal. It even comes with extra rubber grommets in case you lose one or want a spacer for some reason.

The switch on the base does nothing to affect water pressure, your water pressure affects your water pressure and if you are using both outlets at the same time your water pressure needs to have sufficient pressure to support them both. It's literally just a valve.

The main head doesn't leak if you are using the wand unless you didn't teflon tape that diverter valve connection or turn it all the way?

The water comes out silcon rubber nozzles to increase the pressure and it's got like 7 adjustments to the number of nozzles in use so, yeah, you can select how much water you are expending.

He/she got literally nothing right about the product but hundreds of people accepted it at face value on a product with 5000+ reviews and a very positive rating.

Argh!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The reviewer was probably correct for what they got. Amazon lets you sell different things under the same listing, and sometimes even completely change what's under the listing. Add that to the issue of sending out counterfeits, and it's a shitshow.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Amazon reviews are frustrating when you're trying to get actual information and hilarious when you're casually reading them.

My favorite is when someone asks a question about a product and someone responds with "I don't know, I don't own this"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shroomie posted:

Amazon reviews are frustrating when you're trying to get actual information and hilarious when you're casually reading them.

My favorite is when someone asks a question about a product and someone responds with "I don't know, I don't own this"

Issue I have with the reviews are that very frequently similar but not-identical items by the same vendor are just lumped in with the reviews for what you're looking at. So if you're looking at like 16gb RAM kits you'll see reviews for the 8gb and 32gb versions, or different sized cutting boards, pots, etc.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

VelociBacon posted:

Issue I have with the reviews are that very frequently similar but not-identical items by the same vendor are just lumped in with the reviews for what you're looking at. So if you're looking at like 16gb RAM kits you'll see reviews for the 8gb and 32gb versions, or different sized cutting boards, pots, etc.

It's also kind of bothersome that so many of them are totally fake.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I do, the angles are adjustable and there are markers for common angles
Thanks.

What (somewhat inexpensive) stones do you recommend picking up for this agptek Apex clone sharpener? Most reviews and videos i've seen are saying the sharpener itself is a great copy but the stones it comes with don't do a great job.

I'll just use the ones that came with it at first but I'm sure i'll need some better ones in the future. I don't want to damage my knives

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 20, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

1redflag posted:

With nonstick pans you should consider them disposable commodities. https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/why-cheap-nonstick-skillets-are-best.html

And as for the butter, https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/10/stop-cooking-everything-on-nonstick.html

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just a fyi about the San Jamar deals someone posted a little while ago. They called me today to tell me they'd discontinued the cutting boards I ordered completely and were oos so they are refunding my order :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Thanks.

What (somewhat inexpensive) stones do you recommend picking up for this agptek Apex clone sharpener? Most reviews and videos i've seen are saying the sharpener itself is a great copy but the stones it comes with don't do a great job.

I'll just use the ones that came with it at first but I'm sure i'll need some better ones in the future. I don't want to damage my knives

I have never used real stones just cheap knockoffs and I think my knives have been great

There are $30 packs with 7-8 stones

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just a fyi about the San Jamar deals someone posted a little while ago. They called me today to tell me they'd discontinued the cutting boards I ordered completely and were oos so they are refunding my order :(

yeah me too. I'm only getting 1 cutting board and no oven mitts :(

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Vim Fuego posted:

yeah me too. I'm only getting 1 cutting board and no oven mitts :(

Same, only one cutting board, and it’s probably gonna be the ugly yellow and clear one.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Hey kitchen equipment thread,

A while back I upgraded from an electric oven to a gas oven/stove. It's kickass for most purposes, but: the oven doesn't have a setting below 275. Not a problem for most things, but I can't do a low and slow braise in it. Some of the best braises I ever did were 6-8 hours at 200. I'm thinking I should just get a really big crock pot for when I do want to braise. I already have a small crock pot, so my tentative plan is to ditch it in favor of the new big one. So my questions are

1. Is a crock pot the correct solution here? Or is there some other piece of equipment entirely? I'm looking for something that can handle (at times) large cuts of meat, e.g. up to 12 lbs plus soffrito plus liquid. I'm not going to buy another full size oven for this, but I'll entertain possibilities.

2. Does a crock pot do the same thing as an oven braise, or is there some real difference in how the food turns out?

3. Is there a crock pot with precise temp control? I've only seen low/high/keep warm

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 26, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The major difference is that the crock pot is much better at retaining moisture. If you do a pot roast in the oven, even with the lid on and a piece of foil in there, whatever part of the meat is sticking out of the liquid will get all brown and Maillardy and delicious. It won't in a crock pot (or an instant pot).

You also don't have a guarantee on a crock pot's temp. I know even on low, mine has a pretty active simmer. Older ones are supposed to run cooler, but then you're dealing with an appliance from the '70s and ehhhh.

There is a whole thing you can set up with a crock pot, a thermometer, and an inline dimmer -- originally intended to handle sous vide when the other options were way more expensive.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 26, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Someone recommend a small precision scale. I have the myweigh scale, but it's only got 1g accuracy. I tried to add .8g yeast in my bread yesterday and I think I messed up because I was guessing. What are people's favorite small precision scales? My weed dealer had a nice pocket one back in college.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

barkbell posted:

Someone recommend a small precision scale. I have the myweigh scale, but it's only got 1g accuracy. I tried to add .8g yeast in my bread yesterday and I think I messed up because I was guessing. What are people's favorite small precision scales? My weed dealer had a nice pocket one back in college.

I don't really use this in the kitchen because I don't need to get that accurate but I do own this because I also collect coins and need to verify that something isn't counterfeit. This would probably work out really well for you. American Weigh Scales 100G X 0.01G Digital Scale, With Seaside 100 G Stainless Steel Calibration Weight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XWEAGRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_R5xtkB8hIb2k5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Croatoan posted:

I don't really use this in the kitchen because I don't need to get that accurate but I do own this because I also collect coins and need to verify that something isn't counterfeit. This would probably work out really well for you. American Weigh Scales 100G X 0.01G Digital Scale, With Seaside 100 G Stainless Steel Calibration Weight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XWEAGRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_R5xtkB8hIb2k5

That looks exactly like my dealer's from college. It has some pretty bad reviews tho, maybe that's why he used it.