Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Speaking of discounts. All-Clad is currently having a sale on factory "seconds" or the ones with damaged packaging or other minor imperfections.

https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/

I bought some stuff from them a while ago and get an email every other week that they're having another sale.

For what it's worth nothing I bought seemed to be scratched or damaged or any different than the other All Clad stuff I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I despise my Breville brand instant pot thing. Don’t buy it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The weight chef’s restaurant Zero Zero is pretty good. Ate there after coaching a hockey game next door in the before times. Good cocktails.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah, low conductivity means heat can’t spread wider than the thickness of the pan easily.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Panasonic microwaves are great, if you have a new house with AFCIs instead of GFCIs you’ll need to buy a Tripplite (or similar) surge protector because the inverter angries up the AFCI.

I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000510Z9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_lVn2HQX3p8l8a

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BrianBoitano posted:

My only rec is go big as you can afford. When we upgraded to 24" wide it changed our lives in the kitchen!

I went 37" x 144" on this cutting board we installed in our kitchen.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The butcher block counter wasn't any more expensive than crummy quartz (at least out here). Difference of a couple hundred bucks maybe. We rented a house with an edge grain counter and I liked that it felt warm to the touch when you sat at the island. I went end grain so I can use it a little more seriously and because the price wasn't huge. I'm in California where labor costs are super high, so saving a couple thousand here and there doesn't make a giant dent in the project cost.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is that a water bottle filling station in the wall? That's badass.

I feel like the thing that always breaks on fridges isn't the refrigeration part, it's the water and ice dispenser, so I ordered the fridge no water dispenser and ice drawer instead of the big chute contraption. Then I put the water thing in the wall. It has a chiller so it comes out at like 45 degrees, it's really nice.

Lawnie posted:

Couldn’t find anywhere to store the stepladder, though?

Just kidding, pretty sure I’d leave my entire life behind for that kitchen, ladder and all

Still under construction at the time.

Vim Fuego posted:

Jesus, how many burners you got on that thing?

It's a Wolf GR-488. Eight full size burners, full size oven and the little mini oven on the left. They don't do dual fuel ranges with eight burners and I didn't want a griddle or a grill inside. No electronics really, no clock, no circuit boards, I wanted appliances that are going to last.

My wife is celiac so when I cook I end up running parallel tasks. I don't want to eat gluten free pasta, so on pasta night we've got two pasta pots going and it's too crowded to do two pasta pots and sauce and maybe a side veg on a normal range, so we went big.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 17, 2021

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Martman posted:

Cmon, get to the part where you explain you removed some extremely crucial load-bearing wall segment to put in the water dispenser or something

Through the middle of that room about where the water dispenser is was a load bearing wall. I hired an engineer and we put in a huge beam. It required tearing out that wall that the water is on to build the supports for said beam and also reinforcing that little wall from below in the basement with a beam that I hit my head on once a week.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GD_American posted:

Love the side by side freezer/fridge. We went with that, even without the wall space to actually have them side by side.

Is that button by the sink for a disposal?

Yeah it's an air gap switch. Apparently people worry about using an electrical switch with wet hands. It was never an issue previously but that's what the plumbing place recommended.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

What do you find yourself using the left oven for? Do you have adorable little sheet pans for it?

It’s not that small. Reheating leftovers, you could probably roast a small chicken in there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I just measured it. It’s 12x16 and full height. I use it more than the big oven.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It took 2.5 years of fighting the city for permits and drat near bankrupted me but I got the kitchen I wanted.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That’s why (some of us) said if you want lots of ground pepper get a Unicorn Magnum. Peugeots are pretty but Magnums are workhorses.

I own a Peugeot and a Unicorn Magnum. The Peugeot has been empty for more than a decade at this point. It's pretty but it's not even loving close in terms of usability.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I can’t say that it’s a good value purchase, but my two Le Creuset dutch ovens have been great for the last decade.

I’d guess the other ones are fine too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Microplane parmesan is fantastic.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mediaphage posted:

what about them do you not like

I own a full set of d5 and on the heavier pans the top edge of the handle can be uncomfortable.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I suppose if it really bugged you, you could mask off the spots where it’s supposed to be steel and sand away on that stripe. It’s probably not very thick I bet it doesn’t take long.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have the Breville one and it’s fussy and kind of annoying. Don’t buy it because you want a fancy instant pot. Just buy the instant pot.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Big vent hood
48” range
Enough counter space to butcher a pig
Big enough island for guests to get comfortable and also not be in my fuckin way

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We did sliding drawers/racks in all the low cabinets. The sliding is nice but you lose a lot of height from the sliding drawers inside.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GD_American posted:

Huge rear end vent hood. Love my new one, gently caress a recirc.

Do a remote mount blower for the hood as well. Our fan for the vent hood is on the roof so you can’t hear the motor. At full power (which required a make up air damper to make sure we didn’t create too much negative pressure in the house) it’s still reasonably quiet.

So the hood is just a metal box in the kitchen with controls and the little grease filter traps, and the motors/fan etc are outside the house.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

tonedef131 posted:

This is the next project I have planned for my house but I haven’t really looked into it much yet and wasn’t sure how available it was residentially. Do you have any advice as far as brands or things that you would have done differently? Did you do the install yourself or contract it out?

Ours is perfect. I had a contractor do it. We went with Wolf to match the appliances.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

but I wouldn't want to spend $300 and end up with one of the lovely versions they've watered down their line with, if I'm going to spend $100 on something that breaks in a year then I'll just keep using a handheld mixer.

But if it breaks Costco will take it back pretty much forever so who cares?

The reason nobody cares about whether it’s plastic or a worm gear or whatever is that the Holy Grail Mixer with Parts Made By God has a one year warranty, and whatever Costco sells for less has essentially a lifetime warranty even if you use it to mix cement.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’m fine with a pasta bake but half a stick of string cheese per single noodle is a bad ratio.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Midniter posted:

Got an email today about All-Clad's new graphite-core fully clad stainless pan. Anyone know anything about this kind of pan? Marketing gimmick or actually useful?

The idea makes sense, and it seems neat, I’d guess you won’t see a huge meaningful improvement over their copper or aluminum core pans.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’m not a pro baker (my wife has celiac) but everything I read said dual fuel was better for baking.

I went single fuel because my range wasn’t available with the options I wanted in dual.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My parents have a built in sub zero, I really dislike it, the door has trouble closing on its own but requires a ridiculous amount of force to open for some reason. Plus, drawer freezers are really irritating to me. I have a side by side KitchenAid fridge and I love it. It looks cool as hell, tons of room, well organized.

I have a side by side 48” Sub-Zero that we put in during our remodel last fall. No complaints so far.

We have no door problems. They work like a normal fridge.

When I was doing research pretty much everybody said to go SZ or try out True who are big in commercial and moving into home fridges.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If it’s brand new it probably has something wrong with the relay or electronics. We had the same issue with an Elkay water chiller that took them forever to finally replace.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’ve had that one for a decade and it’s still perfect.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You could buy a cheap one and keep an eye out for an orphaned similar color lid on eBay or whatever.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Emile Henry salt pig works great. No clumping or salt contamination issues, looks nice.

Bee House stuff is nice though, I have a few of their teapots.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Brother Tadger posted:

Any particular recommendations re: pho bowls? Was thinking about just getting a set of 60oz melamine bowls, but didn’t know if anyone had any particular insights

I got these for pho: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QPS936M/ and I'm very happy.

fake edit: the large ones

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Here’s a four pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GFYFGD/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

Any opinions/thoughts about outdoor pizza ovens? A friend recently got this brand and it worked pretty drat well. I'm thinking of getting rid of my grill for it since we're vegetarian and don't use it much.

Hit the pizza thread, but I believe they like those.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441635

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Modernist stuff maybe; but it’s normally small quantity as well. I keep a $10 drug scale in a drawer for precise stuff, and use an oxo scale 99.9% of the time.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My smaller Le Creuset is 5.5qt and it’s great for most things. I use the big dog for stuff like making 10lb of bolognese.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wolf makes hoods with remote blowers. You pick out the hood part that you see and pair it with the blower of the size you want/need. Ours is on the outside of the roof so even at full blast it’s pretty quiet. You hear air rushing but not so much motor noise.

We also have a remote air makeup damper installed for the reasons listed above.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They kinda suck. What do you want to do with it?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had a full Bosch kitchen and because of it I now know how to repair pretty much anything that goes wrong.

As a bonus their service people would come out, look at something that didn’t even turn on, make a bunch of excuses and then say it worked fine and leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Jonny Quest posted:

I'm the same with Whirlpool--I know I can easily get parts either online or at the local overpriced parts warehouse. Do I love the products? No. But I can always fix it which hasn't been the case with Bosch, LG, Samsung, or Lennox nonsense.

I had no trouble getting Bosch parts locally once I found the right local appliance repair store.

I just unfortunately became a regular.