Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Looking for testamonials on the Panasonic FlashXpress, which one of my buddies has been raving about lately. I toast a lot of leftovers in my trusty 15 year old uneven-heating $5-at-a-yard-sale black and decker. Is the wonder of infrared heating worth dropping $130 on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

The instant pot should be fine for a long time, you just need to deep clean or replace the rubber sealing ring every once in a while if/when it starts to smell. For $50 you could do a hell of a lot worse.

You can buy an attachment for the instant pot that turns it into an air fryer. Does take up a lot of space, but not any more than a separate air fryer would. My understanding is that it's serviceable but not exceptional for that function. I don't have personal experience with it though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

15 minutes of cook time, probs not, but you can throw together quite a few things for an instant pot with 15 mins of actual work. The cook time is 100% passive, which is one of the major pluses of it.

I make quick chicken + rice all the time and now that I have it down I can usually get a week's worth of meals prepped in less than 10 minutes of actual work

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Is anybody else finding that mason jars are impossible to find

Yes. As soon as the pandemic started they sold out everywhere. Stupid expensive online now.

Your best bet may be hardware stores.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I got a Di Oro scraping spatula and now I want to buy like 4 of their other shaped spatulas

It's perfect and feels like it could survive a bombing

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Eeyo posted:

Well this has probably been asked several times, but any recommendations for bulk storage of dried goods (flour, pasta, beans)?

I found a pantry moth in my kitchen last weekend, so I tossed out all my dried goods (except for some stuff that I know to still be sealed airtight) and put everything I had left into some plastic leftover containers.

My plan going forward is to just keep everything inside a good-quality container once I start restocking.

Last time I was at Costco they had a 6-piece airtight set that I've been getting a lot of good use out of.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

+1 for Tramontina, got the 8" for eggs n' such after my trusty nonstick finally got to be too much to put up with after 5 years of service and it's like night and day

e: If you want something to last, get reputable stainless. All-clad is the pan of repute but I suspect you're paying a premium for the name

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

One of those egg slicers, but for pork belly

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

My girlfriend got me the Emile Henry salt pig as a gift

It's lovely (esp since I work in MEP design and it looks just like a ceramic pipe) but at ~$40 it's a little ridic. Awesome lil extravagant gift for anyone you know who is using a delitainer though

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

+1 on the panasonic flashxpress, got one last year and it's perfect for side dishes and individual meals. No preheating time is just amazing. Like others have said though, you can't fit much in there.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Grabbed a 3 qt d3 saute pan for like 30% of retail, thanks thread

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Trying to resist the temptation to get a 12" D3. Already got a 10" and a 3qt, but sometimes the 10" is just a bit too small...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sick of scraping rice out of my instant pot. I think I'm ready to make the jump to a zojirushi

What's the cheapest way to get my hands on one that isn't just getting lucky at a goodwill?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

The solution is having multiple pressure cookers

This is not a joke. Right now my 3qt is basically a dedicated rice cooker

The pain of cleaning it is the reason I asked where to get a cheap zojirushi

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I got my all-clad 3 qt saute pan and I'm looking for new recipes to try in it. Any favorites to share?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

gl gamer, its delicious. its basically spherical ragout croquettes but its extremely nostalgic for me. if you want to go super authentic i would recommend doing some braised/pressure cooker short ribs so you get the beef stock + shredded beef for the ragout.

if you want the insanely easy way out i recommend this chef john knockoff where he uses chicken breasts and adding better than bouillon beef stock to the whole milk, or just making a straight roux with beef bouillon. still inanely good but much more brainless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLGFG-Ou9c

Wonder if this would work in an air fryer. I don’t want to deep fry anything, just not a fan of dealing with big amounts of hot oil

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Since people are discovering dishwasher features, it’s worth noting that the upper rack is normally height adjustable. Depending on the size of your plates that can make the top rack a lot more useful.

I spent a month in my new house hand-washing wine glasses before I discovered this.

I also discovered a small tray that pulls out of the very top that I haven't figured out a use for

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Panasonic FlashXpress.

This if you want fast and small. It does not require preheating and that alone makes it incredible. I have one and I don’t think I could ever replace it. If I wanted anything bigger and had more cash to spare though I’d go with

SubG posted:

Breville Smart Oven.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Are the air-fryer lids for the instant pot any good, or should I just spring for a whole new appliance? I'd rather not have another big hulkin' monstrosity taking up space in my cabinets if I can help it, but if that's the only way to get good results I'll take the plunge

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Just looked into these cuckoos and after seeing the spread of $50 to $550 I think I can safely say I do not want the most expensive one. Where do the diminishing returns kick in?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly for most consumer products poo poo I want to buy, including kitchen gadgets, I chance a search on these very forums to see what the goon hivemind came up with

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

FWIW most stuff designed for 220V will run just fine on 240V. There's usually a buck-boost converter that will modulate reasonably close voltages to what it needs; all utility voltages run high or sag time-to-time, so most power supplies need to do this in some way. I'd be pretty concerned if you live near a power plant, in which case your voltage will often run high - the further away you get from the design range, the faster your electronics will burn themselves out. There can also be issues with using line-to-line voltage rather than line-to-neutral but that's kind of dependent on what's going on in your house and on the local grid

Cheap equipment will have weak or no electrical protection and will burn themselves out in fairly short order. 100% make sure that it has a 60Hz setting if you're importing, or there'll be myriad problems, especially if there are motor parts.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I'm heavily tempted to get a zojirushi rice maker, but I already have a perfectly good 3qt instant pot that makes all the rice I want (albeit with a bit more finessing)

Is there any sense in getting it or am I just lusting after another gadget to clutter my cabinets?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I was gifted the Emile Henry Salt Pig by my partner and it rules but there’s no reason to spend $50 on a little bin

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Tricky Ed posted:

I will always recommend the Panasonic FlashXpress if your use cases support it. It is small but mighty. If you want a supplemental or replacement oven go with the Breville.

I would agree with this. I picked up the FlashXpress a few years back because it suited my tiny-kitchen needs at the time. It does what it does extremely well (quickly toasting and reheating 1-2 peoples' worth of food consistently) and does not require preheating. However... you cannot set it to cook for longer than 25 minutes, and you cannot fine-tune the temps outside of 35 degree F (20 deg C) steps. Minor inconvenience most of the time but still not great if you genuinely want full oven functionality in a tinier package.

It's also $150, whereas it used to be easy to score one for under $120; Brevilles might be the better value at this point depending on your exact needs

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

For Mayo just get kewpie and call it a day

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I just use egg beaters

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

smackfu posted:

My favorite silicon spatula broke in half the other day. Does anyone have a recommendation? All the ones on Amazon are like five packs of “silicon cooking tools” for $10.

I like di oro, but I’ve heard good things about the thermapen spatulas as well

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I pulled the trigger on an upgrade to the fuzzy logic. Best way is to find one used (trawl local thrift stores) or to pick up a refurbed one from Amazon warehouse (this should explode in availability after Xmas). Got my 3 cup model for $90.

My verdict after a few months of use - It is nice but not a necessity. It definitely feels luxurious though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Ditto on the victorinox. $30-40 for a set of 6.