Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-E785S264-Anodized-Nonstick-Dishwasher/dp/B0170TFNXM

So I picked up these pans a few weeks ago and I love em but they don’t come w lids and I can’t seem to find one to fit both. Just a set for 10” and 12” pans. Any ideas?

Also, I was thinking about treating myself to a new 12” down the road and was thinking of cast iron. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I can’t speak to anything specifically, but I’ve really enjoyed America’s Test Kitchen’s YouTune channel. Their reviews are great!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

So my pantry cupboard overfloweth w ingredients. I recently picked up 50Lbs of flour cause it only cost me $10. The part of my cupboard that has a lot of empty space is where I keep my spices. I’ve been wondering about a wall mounted spice cupboard but everything seems custom or fairly expensive.

What options do I have? I’m hoping to limit exposure to light/sun while being mounted to the wall for space, ideally a couple rows for quarter cup and a couple rows for half cup. Could I just get and mount a wire rack and drape it w a curtain?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

So I preferred a ChefAlarm from ThermoWorks on BF. Anything I need to know for maintaing it? Specifically the probe.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

So I picked up a sifter this year and I love it. But I’m an idiot would add my salt to my spices/soda/powder etc and sift it with flour. It’s clear to me that it’s rubbed off some of the coating and there’s rust...

I assume I should just pick up another sifter?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Canuck-Errant posted:

Foley make some aluminum flour sifters if you want something that won't rust.

I’m finding conflicting care instructions for sifters, who could imagine people can’t agree on something like that on the Internet?

What do y’all do w your sifters? I like the one I have now, it’s basic and effective, and was really well rated but I’m not sure if I wanna get another if it’s gonna do this again, etc.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’ve been thinking about picking up a hand blender. In part because the blender I have is a hand me down from my grandpa and has seen better days.

Any reason not to get this one?

https://www.bestbuy.com//site/kitchenaid-khb2561ob-5-speed-hand-blender-onyx-black/8813007.p?skuId=8813007

Price seems right and I have a gift card. Is it overkill? Barring any major items, this should handle all of my blending needs, right?m

Also, thinking about replacing my toaster. It’s not terrible but I got it from a thrift store in 2010 for a couple bucks. I think a new one could do better but not sure what I should look for or what’s overpriced. I’m looking at a KitchenAid model that’s on sale for $40, down from $60. It’s a 2 slice, so nothing crazy.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 22, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The Wirecutter review mentioned they liked the 2-speed Cuisinart on a budget.

https://www.bestbuy.com//site/cuisinart-smart-stick-powertrio-high-torque-hand-blender-csb-80-silver/5317984.p?skuId=5317984

Considering the price and whatnot, anything I should consider w this one? I’m cool with it not being top of the line, and giving me room to grow. I’m trying to stick w Best Buy because I have a big gift card and unfortunately the All Clad blender isn’t an option.

I’ll mention that part of why I was eyeing the KitchenAid was due to its attachments. I already have a food processor and stand mixer, Cuisinart and KitchenAid respectively, so I suspect I should consider relying on those for whipping eggs or any larger blending, right?

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 22, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Thanks! I’ve pulled the trigger and am looking forwarding to immersing myself!

I am pretty rigid on where things go, but I relaxed myself and moved things where they would fit. My issue isn’t appliances so much as bakeware and mixing bowls and whatnot. A big coup was moving my round bakeware in the cupboard w my regular dishes. Much more accessible, gained a lot of space and consolidated my rectangular pans much more cleanly and easily.

Basically, give yourself a chance to switch up your cupboard and whatnot. You might be surprised with what you realize you can do!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

My local cookware store has a sale tomorrow that will put their Lodge cast iron skillets about on par w Amazon. I’m thinking of picking up a 12”, any reason why I would consider the 10”? I’m v new at cooking and cookware, but I like this thread and figured I’d go here rather than the cast iron thread for a general question like that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

A local chain has a sale on stainless cookware including the All-Clad Sauce Pan I’ve been looking at. I’ve been planning on the 4qt because that’s what America’s Test Kitchen went gaga for, but would there be any reason not to get the 4qt and get the 3qt instead?

Edit: decided on the 4qt. The discussions I read on 3qt v 4qt mostly leaned towards the larger size. Mainly because the larger size doesn’t affect the cooking functionality, and better to have it and not need it.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 4, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

So I inherited a KitchenAid K45SS from my late grandma in 2011. I think it’s l old but haven’t really checked.

However, I think I’m starting to outgrow it. I’m wanting to do double batches of lots of my cookies and it’s just not a big enough bowl, which makes me wonder if it has enough juice.

What should I be looking at? A larger mixing bowl? A more powerful stand mixer?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.bestbuy.com//site/kitchenaid-kp26m1xer-professional-600-series-stand-mixer-empire-red/8812736.p?skuId=8812736

So, the mixer I’ve been interested in is on sale and I have enough rewards points for BBY that I could pay nothing for it. Thoughts? Any reason NOT to buy it? Background: I have a 4.5qt but it high capacity enough for double batches I want to do, and sometimes it struggles w the doughs.

Thoughts between these two beaters: https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/stand-mixers/accessories/p.6-quart-flex-edge-beater.kfew6l.html

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/stand-mixers/accessories/p.f-series-6-quart-bowl-lift-flex-edge-beater.kfef6l.html

I like how little surface area is in the first one, but the second would better match the accessories it comes with.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Imo get a bosh or w/e since you already have the 4.5 qt. I view more in a bread rather than cookie lens though.

I ended up pulling the trigger cause it’s a good deal, and I had a bunch of certificates to use, so it only cost me $100 and tax. Could have done free but I like having some on hand for random splurges. Now I just need to decide on which flex beater. I’m thinking the first one is the way to go, even if it won’t fit in w the rest.